Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah I think Lolesio is better anyway, but it is pretty funny how badly Australian rugby is collapsing.

Club Rugby everywhere has problems, it's basically a system of proof that pro sports don't function without expensive tv rights fees. But all the different ways these countries gently caress it up is interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There's still the making of a good starting XV in Australia, but the depth being taken away all the time should have alarm bells ringing.

Something like

1. James Slipper
2. Matt Faessler
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Ryan Smith
5. Nick Frost
6. Liam Wright
7. Fraser McReight
8. Rob Valetini
9. Tate McDermott
10. Noah Lolesio
11. Corey Toole
12. Hunter Paisami
13. Len Ikitau
14. Andrew Kellaway
15. Tom Wright

would be fairly competitive against most teams, but it's the next layer on that is severely lacking. The injury crisis at the Waratahs didn't help matters either, although they did uncover a gem at hooker in Julian Heaven - until he got injured out of the competition.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

edogawa rando posted:

There's still the making of a good starting XV in Australia, but the depth being taken away all the time should have alarm bells ringing.

Something like

1. James Slipper
2. Matt Faessler
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Ryan Smith
5. Nick Frost
6. Liam Wright
7. Fraser McReight
8. Rob Valetini
9. Tate McDermott
10. Noah Lolesio
11. Corey Toole
12. Hunter Paisami
13. Len Ikitau
14. Andrew Kellaway
15. Tom Wright

would be fairly competitive against most teams, but it's the next layer on that is severely lacking. The injury crisis at the Waratahs didn't help matters either, although they did uncover a gem at hooker in Julian Heaven - until he got injured out of the competition.

Yeah, it’s not enough to have a good 15 - you need at least a good 23 plus more for injury cover and optionality.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

As expected, the Super Rugby final is going to be an All-NZ affair, and the Brumbies carried on the proud tradition of no Australian teams ever winning a play-offs game in New Zealand.

At least Joe Schmidt will get some more time with his Wallabies, I guess.

Meanwhile, there's a bit of a locking situation developing in NZ, with Patrick Tuipulotu and Josh Lord out for the tests against England and Fiji at least, it leaves just Scott Barrett and Tupou Va'ai as the only available locks with test experience.

There have been plenty of young players really putting their hands up right now, though.

Sam Darry has finally gotten a sequence of regular starts at the Blues and has been excellent all year. If Laghlan McWhannell can recover from his concussion in time, he should also be in the frame.

Naitoa Ah Kuoi has been a very reliable part of the Chiefs second row, although his comparative lack of height as a lock would likely see him used more as a lock/blindside option (which was the case in his appearances for the All Blacks XV previously).

Isaia Walker-Leawere is another shorter lock, but has a huge workrate around the field and brings a lot to the set-piece, with some international experience with his call-ups to the Maori All Blacks.

The Dutch-born Fabian Holland has been a key part of the Highlanders this year, and generally gets through a mountain of work each game. He's eligible, he's big, and being 21, he could be a long-term asset at the test level.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Super Rugby final has been set - Blues vs Chiefs at Eden Park.

The Hurricanes had an excellent season, but they Scotlanded themselves out of the game. That's what happens when you hire Greig Laidlaw's cousin to coach the team.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
URC semi was the latest chapter in Irish teams absolutely fluffing knockouts, with Leinster losing out 25-20 to the Bulls.

Munster - Glasgow looking extra tasty now.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

URC semi was the latest chapter in Irish teams absolutely fluffing knockouts, with Leinster losing out 25-20 to the Bulls.

What are you talking about? Irish teams have loads of URC cups (and what it was previously) and European trophies. All involving knockouts.

Do you only watch the World Cup?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Great win for Glasgow!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

Great win for Glasgow!

Yeah. Totally deserved. Kept to their game, didn't do more than they had to. Locked down the defence. All the while Munster started off trying Fancy Dan stuff, which worked until it didn't.

I think Munster need to try to play this way. We've delayed it too long, and we have a balance in the squad that's good enough for the URC now, and for the play style. 10 man rugby is gone and Munster tried sticking to it for too long (I've a lot of issues with how some of our coaches were treated.)

Glad for Glasgow! Look forward to games against ye next year. They're always intense.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Mrenda posted:

What are you talking about? Irish teams have loads of URC cups (and what it was previously) and European trophies. All involving knockouts.

Do you only watch the World Cup?

It's mostly Leinster schadenfreude tbh, and it's hard not to throw our latest WC QF exit in there too. I've a season ticket for Ulster so glass houses etc, our own ability to choke is unrivalled.

Apart from that, Munster's run in the URC last year was unreal and that was well won by Glasgow today. Huwipulotu in full flight is something to see.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Two really intense semi-finals, exactly what you want to see at the end of the season as a fan.

Munster looked like they were relying too much on shithousing and emotion in the first 30 minutes, so when Glasgow stopped fannying about with the niggling there wasn't anything else to give. PoM looked done after 60 minutes when Munster needed him to put in a massive hit on someone or be a niggly dickhead to get them going again and it never came.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 15, 2024

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Connor Garden-Bachop passed away Monday evening due to a "freak medical event" aged 25.

gently caress.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sucks. RIP.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Gah that's no age, rip

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Awful news. RIP and condolences to his friends and family.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Joe Schmidt's named a 38-man squad to play Wales, Georgia and the Rugby Championships. New players are underlined.

Hookers
Matt Faessler (Queensland Reds)
Josh Nasser (Queensland Reds)
Billy Pollard (ACT Brumbies)

Props
Allan Alaalatoa (ACT Brumbies)
Alex Hodgman (Queensland Reds)
Isaac Kailea (Melbourne Rebels)
Zane Nonggorr (Queensland Reds)
James Slipper (ACT Brumbies)
Taniela Tupou (Melbourne Rebels)

Locks
Angus Blyth (Queensland Reds)
Nick Frost (ACT Brumbies)
Tom Hooper (ACT Brumbies)
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (Melbourne Rebels)
Ryan Smith (Queensland Reds)
Jeremy Williams (Western Force)

Loose Forwards
Charlie Cale (ACT Brumbies)
Langi Gleeson (NSW Waratahs)
Fraser McReight (Queensland Reds)
Harry Wilson (Queensland Reds)
Liam Wright (Queensland Reds)
Rob Valetini (ACT Brumbies)

Halfbacks
Jake Gordon (NSW Waratahs)
Tate McDermott (Queensland Reds)
Nic White (Western Force)

Five-Eighths
Ben Donaldson (Western Force)
Noah Lolesio (ACT Brumbies)
Tom Lynagh (Queensland Reds)

Midfielders
Filipo Daugunu (Melbourne Rebels)
David Feliuai (Melbourne Rebels)
Josh Flook (Queensland Reds)
Len Ikitau (ACT Brumbies)
Hunter Paisami (Queensland Reds)
Hamish Stewart (Western Force)

Back Three Quarters
Andrew Kellaway (Melbourne Rebels)
Darby Lancaster (Melbourne Rebels)
Dylan Pietsch (NSW Waratahs)
Tom Wright (ACT Brumbies)

Utility Back
Kurtley Beale (Western Force)

There are 13 new caps in the squad
Nasser
Hodgman
Kailea
Blyth
Smith
Williams
Cale
Lynagh
Feliuai
Flook
Stewart
Lancaster
Pietsch

However, Alex Hodgman already has 4 caps for New Zealand, having made 4 test appearances in 2020.

Unsurprisingly, the 3 Australian teams that made the playoffs are the best represented. Out of them, the Queensland Reds have the most players selected at 13, followed by the Brumbies with 10. The Rebels provide 6 players, with the Force providing 5. The last-placed Waratahs provide only 3 players.

Queensland Reds - 13
Angus Blyth
Matt Faessler
Josh Flook
Alex Hodgman
Tom Lynagh
Tate McDermott
Fraser McReight
Josh Nasser
Zane Nonggorr
Hunter Paisami
Ryan Smith
Harry Wilson
Liam Wright

ACT Brumbies - 10
Allan Alaalatoa
Charlie Cale
Nick Frost
Tom Hooper
Len Ikitau
Noah Lolesio
Billy Pollard
James Slipper
Rob Valetini
Tom Wright

Melbourne Rebels - 6
Filipo Daugunu
David Feliuai
Isaac Kailea
Andrew Kellaway
Darby Lancaster
Taniela Tupou

Western Force - 5
Ben Donaldson
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
Hamish Stewart
Nic White
Jeremy Williams

NSW Waratahs - 3
Langi Gleeson
Jake Gordon
Dylan Pietsch

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
That is a pretty weak squad. Same story as ever for Aus, they can cobble together a good 15 and ok 23, but injuries are going to expose their depth and they don't have the toughness or size up front. Not expecting a good year from them

Also, lol in advance at the japanese team that eddie jones picked.

Go Bulls
Go Chiefs

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Once again I look at a wales team and ask, who?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Strong start

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Where is this game being played?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Twickenham.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The stadiwim is still in Taylor swift mode

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’m there now. Wales game lacked intensity and precision from both sides. I thought Wales didn’t play terribly, but we didn’t play particularly well or I think we would have absolutely shredded them. Some good S.A. performances, 11 and 15 especially, and the scrum absolutely dominated.

Barbarians Fiji is good fun, as one would expect. More people have stayed behind to watch than I thought. The BBs have some great players: Fickou, Nakatawa, Whitelock amongst others. It’s being played in the spirit one would expect with the ball being flung around a lot.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Urc final been a cracking match

Come-on Glasgow!

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Glasgow warriors are the united rugby championship champions!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Warriors come from 13-0 down to win 21-16 at Loftus. Bulls looked absolutely hosed at 60 minutes and Glasgow grew into the game as it went on. Outstanding game.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I am so happy well done Glasgow! Absolutely fantastic fairy tale ending. Whatever it takes.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 22, 2024

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

What a job Franco Smith has done.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Well done Glasgow, great match and it's great for the URC. It's so competitive.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

Urc final been a cracking match

Come-on Glasgow!

The Super Rugby final at Eden Park, on the other hand, was a one-sided affair with the Blues grinding down the Chiefs into dust and putting 5 tries on them in the rain, for a 41-10 scoreline.

The Chiefs were lacking in discipline and as soon as they got hit with a couple of early tries, they went into panic mode and never really recovered. Some Blues players probably cemented their spots in the squad to be named on Monday while some of the Chiefs being considered probably played their way out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

While Wales were gash and deserved to lose how the gently caress did the Boks get a try from the most obvious forward pass I have ever seen?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Razor's named his first All Blacks squad.

Hooker
Asafo Aumua (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Codie Taylor (Crusaders/Canterbury)
George Bell (Crusaders/Canterbury)

Props
Ethan de Groot (Highlanders/Southland)
Tyrel Lomax (Hurricanes/Tasman)
Fletcher Newell (Crusaders/Canterbury)
Pasilio Tosi (Hurricanes/Bay of Plenty)
Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Blues/Northland)
Tamaiti Williams (Crusaders/Canterbury)

Locks
Scott Barrett (Captain, Crusaders/Taranaki)
Patrick Tuipulotu (Blues/Auckland)
Tupou Va'ai (Chiefs/Taranaki)

Loose Forwards
Ethan Blackadder (Crusaders/Tasman)
Samipeni Finau (Chiefs/Waikato)
Luke Jacobson (Chiefs/Waikato)
Dalton Papali'i (Blues/Counties Manukau)
Ardie Savea (Wellington)
Wallace Sititi (Chiefs/North Harbour)

Halfbacks
Finlay Christie (Blues/Tasman)
TJ Perenara (Hurricanes/Wellington)
Cortez Ratima (Chiefs/Waikato)

Five-Eighths
Beauden Barrett (Taranaki)
Damian McKenzie (Chiefs/Waikato)

Midfielders
Jordie Barrett (Hurricanes/Taranaki)
Rieko Ioane (Blues/Auckland)
Anton Lienert-Brown (Chiefs/Waikato)
Billy Proctor (Hurricanes/Wellington)

Back Three Quarters
Caleb Clarke (Blues/Auckland)
Emoni Narawa (Chiefs/Bay of Plenty)
Stephen Perofeta (Blues/Taranaki)
Sevu Reece (Crusaders/Southland)
Mark Tele’a (Blues/North Harbour)

GooseLoon
Jul 21, 2003
My buttocks are unequivocal
Not a bad squad although as others have pointed out - I don't think there are any howling omissions, although Riccitelli might feel a bit miffed. I'd have preferred to see Plummer in over Perofeta.

Squad will look a bit stronger when they get Taukei'aho and Jordan back, and it's a shame Roigard won't be back sooner.I can't see Tuipulotu finishing the season, but that was a drat epic effort in the final.

I could easily see England rolling this team first up in Dunedin though. I'll be interested to see how much patience the NZ rugby public has with Robertson. It's a tough season and going 2-3 on the EOY tour is a distinct possibility (including the Japan fixture there).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

GooseLoon posted:

Not a bad squad although as others have pointed out - I don't think there are any howling omissions, although Riccitelli might feel a bit miffed. I'd have preferred to see Plummer in over Perofeta.

Squad will look a bit stronger when they get Taukei'aho and Jordan back, and it's a shame Roigard won't be back sooner.I can't see Tuipulotu finishing the season, but that was a drat epic effort in the final.

I could easily see England rolling this team first up in Dunedin though. I'll be interested to see how much patience the NZ rugby public has with Robertson. It's a tough season and going 2-3 on the EOY tour is a distinct possibility (including the Japan fixture there).

Riccitelli is probably an injury or suspension away from a call-up. Also, Perofeta is seen as a 15 that can play 10, rather than an out-and-out 10 unlike previous Blues coaches have tried to insist otherwise. He was certainly one of the form 15s in Super Rugby. Ruben Love is one of the two big omissions in the squad, since he was expected to be named as a fullback, but he is part of the wider cover and will likely be fully integrated into the squad for the Rugby Championships.

I'd have liked another lock called in, maybe someone like Naitoa Ah Kuoi as a lock/blindside cover. Either way, they already have Sam Darry training with the squad as injury cover for the second row.

And as for England rolling the ABs in Dunedin - we'll see.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Yes the country that has not won in NZ since 2003 (what did they team accomplish again?) will surely win this time round.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Chief posted:

Yes the country that has not won in NZ since 2003 (what did they team accomplish again?) will surely win this time round.

Yeah, I raised an eyebrow at that. And while I think this England team has promise and is coming together, it’s not quite at the rolling the ABs at home level. Nobody rolls the ABs at home.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, England are 3-4 effective years away from that level

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pasilio Tosi is probably the biggest bolter out of that lot, literally and figuratively. He was starting for the Hurricanes when Lomax was injured, and is fairly likely to be a project for Jason Ryan to mould into something.

Both he and Tamaiti Williams have backgrounds as props converted from number 8s. Both are 6ft 5, and tip the scales at over 140kgs.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

therattle posted:

Nobody rolls the ABs at home.

because they are too scared to host a scotland tour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

HappyCamperGL posted:

because they are too scared to host a scotland tour!

Silly me, I forgot about mighty Scotland.