Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

goatface posted:

Scrums are contested by two packs standing 10 yards apart with the ref in the middle, judging a winner by how loud they shout "PUSH".

Nah, forwards stay in the pub and do a boat race every time a scrum or line out is called for. Let the little fellas have their fun running around, the bug lads know what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

goatface posted:

Scrums are contested by two packs standing 10 yards apart with the ref in the middle, judging a winner by how loud they shout "PUSH".

Wait, this actually sounds more sensible than current scrum rules.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's still randomised due to wind effects and packs shouting in different languages. It keeps the current standards of reliability.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Scrums will stay the same which is to say "performance art". Whichever team does the best 'scrum dance' gets the ball.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"HEY 12, I TACKLED YOU GET DOWN PLEASE"

"SURE THING PAL, I'M GONNA PUT THE BALL HERE AND STEP BACK 8 FEET SO THE SCRUMHALF CAN GET IT"

"RIGHT AND NOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IS..."

May as well just make the broadcasts Rugby20 streams now.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

After he puts the ball down a ball boy runs on to spray the ball with sanitiser.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Simply get rid of the ball. The player indicates they have the ball by raising their arm above their head. If they drop their arm below 'full hitler' then that's a knock on.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
:siren:We're Just Making Tournament Formats Up As We Go Along:siren:

The Pro 14 will finish early, after round 16. There will be no semi-finals, and Heineken Cup qualification will be based on the standings after Round 16.

There will be an exciting and prestigious Pro 14 final, held between the top ranking side in each conference.

There will be a Pro 14 final, between Munster and Leinster.

On April 17, 2021, the Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup begins. The new teams are officially called The Vodacom Bulls, Emirates Lions, Cell C Sharks and DHL Stormers, which is kind of weird, because the other Super Rugby teams had to drop the sponsors from their names.

The Free State Cheetahs and Southern Kings won't be participating.

Two pools of 8 teams, split by countries and based on the Pro 14 rankings. Each team plays one match against each other team in their group. SA teams will probably play all of their matches in Ireland or Wales.

The Rainbow Cup Final is on June 19th.

Oh my god, we're going to get Bulls vs Leinster in 2021, and it's going to be amazing.

-

Edit : The language in the press release suggests refers to March as being "The Final Chapter In The Pro 14", which suggests that the Rainbow Cup is the new format, going forward. Presumably with a home and away format.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 23, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So it's the pro14 with two groups of 8?

Confusing.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

goatface posted:

Yes. This simple image will surely make things clear :

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Branding nightmare tbh.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

goatface posted:

Confusing.

Yeah, I spent a while earlier wondering how they added 4 new teams but still split into two groups of 8 Cheetahs and Kings were binned

Look forward to the conferences being announced though, hopefully we get some tasty matchups to go alongside the likes of Lions vs Zebre, which will go about as well on the pitch as it would on the savanna.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
I'm glad to see that a European rugby league is joining the find tradition in American sports of meaningless numbers in a league name.

Without looking guess how many teams are in the Big12, Big10, and Atlantic10.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
The Cheetahs will be playing against teams from tier 2 European countries and the Kings are being dissolved.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rugby is in a loving weird place.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

drunk leprechaun posted:

I'm glad to see that a European rugby league is joining the find tradition in American sports of meaningless numbers in a league name.

Without looking guess how many teams are in the Big12, Big10, and Atlantic10.

14 in all of them?

Is League changing the name of Super League?

Aled Brew is retiring!

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

bessantj posted:

14 in all of them?

Not quite!

14 members of the Big10
10 members of the Big12
14 members in the Atlantic10

The best thing was there were a few years around like 2012 or so where the Big10 had 12 members and the Big12 had 10 members. I don't know if they every seriously discussed just giving each other the trademarks, but goddamn if fans didn't hope they did.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Why don't they just update the numbers like Super Rugby did?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Why don't they just update the numbers like Super Rugby did?

This is 100% conjecture, but maybe there's another, much smaller, league in one of the Pro14 countries that holds the trademark for Pro16. I'd imagine that if that's the case they're figuring out branding and didn't want to do some stupid interim name. I could be 100% wrong though.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There was a guy in NZ who trademarked every variation of Super and a number after the Super 12 expansion.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Marcel Coetzee will be signing with the Bulls at the end of the 20/21 season probably the first end to the season, so before the Rainbow Cup.. I think?

Pro14 defences can rest easy, was great watching him in White, but I can't blame him if he goes home and makes the Boks team for the Lions tour.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I read Sam warburton and Eddie Jones autobiographies over the last few days. Both are pretty ok if you're in the mood for some light sports reading, but otherwise skippable. Both spend lots of time recapping individual games without analysis, which is boring.

Interesting items:

Warburton:
-mentions Gatland and Howley would place bets on who would win drills etc in training; obviously takes on a different light after howleys ban
-completely positive on the Welsh training camps in Poland; something about these has always really bugged me, I feel it was pretty obvious there's a bigger story here (conspiracy hat that it was Welsh doping regime catching up, but that's completely conjecture on my end)
-he describes every single serious injury he ever got and it is ridiculous
-he was 30 minutes from signing with Toulon before the WRU sent his central contract
-he says 8 of 43 of the 2017 lions players were fully committed to the point of not drinking and not going out partying
-he lions tourists get luxury watches as a gift, and it led to a serious incident of some kind when the geographical six players (Cory hill and Tomas Francis and a few others called up because they were in Tonga at the time) called up in 2017 asked for theirs

Jones:
-he is pretty up front but downplays every criticism of him, fair enough because it's his book
-his early life and Randwick days are very interesting
-he told Ben Youngs he was not fit enough by offering him a bag of chocolates in 2016
-he mentions luke Cowan Dickie and George Smith as big drinkers
-pretty much begs for the lions job at one point (and at another mentions Gatland as a future NZ coach)
-thinks the two selection errors in the 2019 world Cup final was not going Farrell over ford and Marler over mako

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

sleep with the vicious posted:

-completely positive on the Welsh training camps in Poland; something about these has always really bugged me, I feel it was pretty obvious there's a bigger story here (conspiracy hat that it was Welsh doping regime catching up, but that's completely conjecture on my end)

Lol I remember them covering the Poland camp on the Welsh news and it was so obviously covering up some shady bullshit.

"They have a regimen of really cold baths and it makes them incredibly hench. Because of science."

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah there was clearly something very shady going on there. Probably a doping regime plus team building but I don't think we will ever know, it seems to have been memory holed pretty well but even back then there was nobody really publicly questioning it

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

nil nil at half time between edinburgh and glasgow.
:effort:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

65 mins and edinburgh have scored some points! what a game.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I watched the ospreys vs Cardiff match yesterday and the old thinking about the domestic league not preparing these players for international level is true. Just slow, plodding, boring rugby.

Don't know how they fix it but boy do they have to

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Bath have just scored a comedy try for the ages. Leicester just tried a rolling maul off a lineout. Two players broke away as a separate pod, but somehow forgot the ball. As the remains of the maul wandered round working out what was happening, a Bath player popped out and ran down to score.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

tarbrush posted:

Bath have just scored a comedy try for the ages. Leicester just tried a rolling maul off a lineout. Two players broke away as a separate pod, but somehow forgot the ball. As the remains of the maul wandered round working out what was happening, a Bath player popped out and ran down to score.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1345748615843688457

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

turns out leinster can be beaten afterall.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Duhan Van Der Merwe is off to Worcester. Not a huge surprise given how good he's been since joining Edinburgh and how little the SRU and clubs have to pay anyone due to COVID.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

sleep with the vicious posted:

I watched the ospreys vs Cardiff match yesterday and the old thinking about the domestic league not preparing these players for international level is true. Just slow, plodding, boring rugby.

Don't know how they fix it but boy do they have to

Priestland is apparently moving to the Blues next year, so not sure the quality will get any better.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Convincing win against Exeter for Bristol there.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Great win for Bristol, was close to a full strength team for Exeter too.

Ulster caught their first loss of the season against Leinster yesterday, and with no semi finals this year that could be their season over. Pro14 is such an odd league, hopefully the Rainbow Cup is a bit of craic, but who would bet on it going ahead now with the covid situation in SA and across the UK and Ireland.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Laidlaw-kun no Daibouken II!

https://twitter.com/JRFURugby/status/1348585953963761666?s=20

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Always great to see Greeg happy.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Duncy Weir returning to Glasgow.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Meatball's coming home.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55664542

European championship matches won't be rescheduled, will probably move to a knock out tournament in April/May for the top 4 or top 8 from each pool depending on what happens with the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

European championship matches won't be rescheduled, will probably move to a knock out tournament in April/May for the top 4 or top 8 from each pool depending on what happens with the rest of the season.

All fixtures involving the French teams and some of the English teams are presumably just going to award a bye, so I look forward to the exciting Heineken Cup final : Bristol vs Dragons.