Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

tarbrush posted:

And make scrum half's feed straight!

If the feed is straight/neutral regardless of which team has the ball then there's no difference who puts it in and you might as well have the ref feed the ball in order to ensure the feed is straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

tsob posted:

If the feed is straight/neutral regardless of which team has the ball then there's no difference who puts it in and you might as well have the ref feed the ball in order to ensure the feed is straight.

Not true, the timing matters. I like many goons am also a member of the front row union

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

tsob posted:

That logic could also be applied to lineouts. Why doesn't the ref throw the ball in at the lineout?

Straight feeds and hookers actually hooking would solve so many issues with the scrum, though it hasn't been a requirement for 20 years in the professional game so I can't see it ever changing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tarbrush posted:

Not true, the timing matters. I like many goons am also a member of the front row union

That’s what I was going to say!
(And pace of feed, or is that never variable?)

Plucky Brit posted:

That logic could also be applied to lineouts. Why doesn't the ref throw the ball in at the lineout?

That’s what I was going to say!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
rules query: I swear I’ve read somewhere that the try line, posts and padding are all part of the scoring zone and so the ball only needs to touch them for a try to be scored - is that correct? and if so why do teams always try to dive underneath the defenders when they’re by the posts rather than just trying to go for the padding?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Julio Cruz posted:

rules query: I swear I’ve read somewhere that the try line, posts and padding are all part of the scoring zone and so the ball only needs to touch them for a try to be scored - is that correct? and if so why do teams always try to dive underneath the defenders when they’re by the posts rather than just trying to go for the padding?

It used to be the rule the base of the padding counted as the try line but they changed that as it was essentially undefendable.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

therattle posted:

That’s fair enough.

Re-the lineout, maul-try- pipeline, I was going to write some thoughts, having watched most of the six Nations (but in the end didn’t think my thoughts were going to be that insightful or interesting), but one thing I did think was that mauls weren’t as dominant as in the past; teams seem to be figuring out some form of maul defence .

For me I think there might be something we can do with that pattern that is so common in games now where a team gets within 5ms and just hit it up endlessly until they get a penalty then crossfield kick. If that fails then into the corner for a maul and start again. The maul defence is getting better but it just becomes part of this cycle.

It can be tense and exciting. But mostly the score is somewhat inevitable and it just drains the clock. No one is taking a risks until they've got that offside penalty.

I'm not sure exactly how to fix this but maybe a little League style thing like limited phases inside the 5m to encourage trying to play it rather than just grind it. Fail to convert then a goal line drop out or free kick or something.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

For me I think there might be something we can do with that pattern that is so common in games now where a team gets within 5ms and just hit it up endlessly until they get a penalty then crossfield kick. If that fails then into the corner for a maul and start again. The maul defence is getting better but it just becomes part of this cycle.

It can be tense and exciting. But mostly the score is somewhat inevitable and it just drains the clock. No one is taking a risks until they've got that offside penalty.

I'm not sure exactly how to fix this but maybe a little League style thing like limited phases inside the 5m to encourage trying to play it rather than just grind it. Fail to convert then a goal line drop out or free kick or something.

Yes, I see where the problem is there. You’ve put your finger on it. But I have no idea what the solution is. I am not sure it needs one. It’s sometimes tense and exciting because the try isn’t inevitable. Although it is probably more likely than it could/should be. I wonder if it’s something to do with for how long advantage lasts?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Aramoro posted:

Refs actually pinging the latchers for immediately going off their feet during the pick and go would do wonders for it too. As ever, the laws of rugby are generally fine but at the pro level, the desire to make it a faster, more attractive game means that some things are hell to defend against.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

“The #Chiefs are expected to sign Rugby star Louis Rees-Zammit, per @Schultz_Report. The plan is for him to be an offensive weapon, used in various rules.

A fun addition to Andy Reid’s offense.”

Wow.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If anyone has any doubts as to why croc rolls deserve to be removed from the game, just ask Italian centre Michela Sillari, who got her leg broken by Red Roses no. 8 Sarah Beckett. Beckett was given a three week ban, reduced from the entry point of six weeks, due to her exemplary conduct, remorse and excellent disciplinary record.

Meanwhile, Crusaders injury woes continue with current stand-in captain David Havili having to withdraw from the upcoming game against the Chiefs. The rest of the Crusaders injury ward is occupied by:

Will Jordan - gone for the season
Leigh Halfpenny - gone for most of the season, may be able to play in the tail-end of the regular season
Brayden Ennor - out for the season
Fergus Burke - Achilles injury
Tamaiti Williams - hamstring injury
Brodie McAllister - knee injury
Rivez Reihana - shoulder injury
Scott Barrett - broken finger

This is in addition to Codie Taylor currently being on sabbatical and Owen Franks sitting out a ban.

Finally, Razor and his gang will link up with the NZ U20s squad right before the inaugural U20 Rugby Championship, and will the Baby Blacks will further link up with the full All Blacks squad later in the year as well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Crusaders finally won one!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Louis Rees-Zammit got 3 years and $2.85m from Kansas City *but* it's a $20k signing bonus, a $250k guarantee and a max value of $815k for the first year where Kansas City could get out of the contract for a dead cap hit that wouldn't even register on the balance sheet

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The crusaders just lost a game that was impossible to lose.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mister Chief posted:

The crusaders just lost a game that was impossible to lose.

I'd think the bigger take away having just watched the highlights on YouTube is that win or lose that looked like a cracker of a game, and that it might be worth hunting down a full recording just to see it all. Two tries inside the first 4 minutes, one apiece and constant back and forth for the lead the entire 80 minutes.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

tsob posted:

I'd think the bigger take away having just watched the highlights on YouTube is that win or lose that looked like a cracker of a game, and that it might be worth hunting down a full recording just to see it all. Two tries inside the first 4 minutes, one apiece and constant back and forth for the lead the entire 80 minutes.

I watched it live and it was the best game of the season.

I’m not sure it is clear in the highlights but basically the Crusaders are one point up with a conversion to take.

If the kicker literally doesn’t take the shot and lets the shot clock run out they win but he kicks it about 5 seconds too early.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blues, North Harbour and Maori All Blacks flanker Cameron Suafoa is stepping away from rugby aged 25 to focus on cancer treatment.

https://twitter.com/BluesRugbyTeam/status/1779404990576218537/history

Horrible news, and I hope he recovers.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Leinster have just signed Jordie Barrett

to a 6-month contract starting in December, meaning he'll still be available for the test season this year and next year. The only ones who'll miss out are the Hurricanes in 2025.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

We better win Super while he is here then.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Charlie Ngatai must be off, think he's missed a good chunk of time through injury but excuse my salt over Leinster's ability to replace their dud signing with a loving Barrett.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

edogawa rando posted:

Leinster have just signed Jordie Barrett

I love Jordie Barrett, and will travel to whatever West Wales region he plays against in 2025, for no reason other than to explicitly watch Jordie Barrett play Rugby Union :toxx:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tyma posted:

I love Jordie Barrett, and will travel to whatever West Wales region he plays against in 2025, for no reason other than to explicitly watch Jordie Barrett play Rugby Union :toxx:

I think he’s great. That said, as a Bok fan I loved seeing PSTD clattering him. If I had to choose any Barrett I’d still go for Beaudon, though. He’s dreamy (and an incredible 10). Imagine being so blessed with players that you have BB and can play another 10.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Ulster saw that signing and said hold my beer, we can sign an All Black 10 too :smugbert: - unfortunately it's a 35yr old Aaron Cruden and he'll probably turn us down lmao.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He was still playing well for Waikato in the NPC last year, so :shrug:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ken Owens, best known for the causing Romain Poite's brain to shrivel into dogshit and completely forget what a loving penalty is, that was a loving penalty and you know it, you worthless bastard,

Where was I?

Anyway, Ken Owens has announced his retirement at age 37.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Also, since I've brought up the 2017 Lions series, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiuCwlf2CXw&t=214s

only getting a yellow is utterly insane and Jerome Garces should never have refereed again after this. The judiciary panel that failed to cite his should've also been named and shamed.

"Oh but the refereeing at the time" isn't really an excuse, seeing as how Sekope Kepu did the exact same thing against Scotland later that year and not only got a red, but also a long ban.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Ulster saw that signing and said hold my beer, we can sign an All Black 10 too :smugbert: - unfortunately it's a 35yr old Aaron Cruden and he'll probably turn us down lmao.

drat he is only 35? Guess he was so young when he started.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Looks like the top Wallabies coaching panel has been finalised, and it's actually pretty loving good.

Head coach: Joe Schmidt
Assistant coach: Laurie Fisher
Assistant coach: Mike Cron
Assistant coach: Geoff Parling
Skills coach and Head of Analysis: Eoin Toolan

The individual roles have not been named, but it's fairly certain Cron will take on the scrums.

The Springboks coaching panel so far has had some changes, but is largely stable:
Head coach: Rassie Erasmus
Backs coach: Mzwandile Stick
Forwards coach: Deon Davids
Scrum coach: Daan Human
Attack coach: Tony Brown
Defence coach: Jerry Flannery

The All Blacks coaching set-up is:
Head coach: Scott Robertson
Forwards coach: Jason Ryan
Backs coach: Jason Holland
Attack coach: Leon MacDonald
Defence coach: Scott Hansen
Contact Skills coach: Tamati Ellison
Performance coach: Sir Wayne Smith
Head Performance Analyst: Jamie Hamilton

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Didn't Wayne Smith retire?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Didn't Wayne Smith retire?

He'll be involved with the All Blacks and Black Ferns as a Performance Coach, as a mentor to both Scott Robertson and Allan Bunting, respectively. He's described his role as a "crow's nest," in that he watches for changes in trends to extrapolate what direction other nations are heading in, and help the two national team coaches in pre-emptively strategising.

NZ rugby started to fall behind the Irish at the end of Hansen's tenure and behind the French during Foster's tenure, so it's one of the things being done to address the issue.

One of the other things being done is having Robertson work with the U20s in an informal basis alongside U20s coach Jono Gibbes, setting direct links between the senior and age-group teams.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 18, 2024

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

edogawa rando posted:

Also, since I've brought up the 2017 Lions series, this:

There was a Kiwi poster ITT (or an old one) that manifested the call in the second test for this tackle and I remember laughing heartily, goodness that Series had some dog poo poo refereeing.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Last 2 Lions series have been bad.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There was a Kiwi poster ITT (or an old one) that manifested the call in the second test for this tackle and I remember laughing heartily, goodness that Series had some dog poo poo refereeing.

Yeah, that was me. Someone was like "but what if someone gets tackled while they're jumping for the ball" and I was like "no ref is that stupid, you loving idiot." Garces sure showed me.

The fact that Garces had a gigantic shitshow of a second half should be talked about more that rivals Barnes in Cardiff, '07 should've been talked about more.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Last 2 Lions series have been bad.

The South Africa vs Lions series is probably the worst rugby of all time. Genuine anti rugby

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, that was me. Someone was like "but what if someone gets tackled while they're jumping for the ball" and I was like "no ref is that stupid, you loving idiot." Garces sure showed me.

:lmao: yes that was great foreshadowing, it's still an absolutely barmy call but the timing was great.

I hated the last lions tour too, not to get too romantic about things but surely the results should be secondary to the rugby in a series like that, Gatland's style was a decade old in South Africa and wasn't ever going to win any new fans - will be interesting to see if Farrell can bring some of the magic back for Australia, but it's looking like a long shot.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

:lmao: yes that was great foreshadowing, it's still an absolutely barmy call but the timing was great.

I hated the last lions tour too, not to get too romantic about things but surely the results should be secondary to the rugby in a series like that, Gatland's style was a decade old in South Africa and wasn't ever going to win any new fans - will be interesting to see if Farrell can bring some of the magic back for Australia, but it's looking like a long shot.

Yeah between the Wallabies just not being good, and the Lions probably continuing down the path of super structured no-risk play, I don't have super high hopes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yeah between the Wallabies just not being good, and the Lions probably continuing down the path of super structured no-risk play, I don't have super high hopes

The Australian teams are much better this year and are far more competitive - timed nicely with the South Island Super Rugby teams having a nightmare season. In addition, they've got a generation of young, hungry and talented players with solid text experience already under their belts and the makings of a very good forward pack.

Looking at the players available, I really like the Reds loose trio of Liam Wright, Fraser McReight and Harry Wilson, and guys like Lachlan Swinton and Rob Valetini would probably make most test squads. They've also got some pretty good young props like Angus Bell coming through, and Alex Hodgman was a very canny signing since he already comes with a lot of provincial experience, some test experience and immediate Australian eligibility.

That said, I am somewhat less convinced about their second row depth and backline options, especially around the midfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jesus, I say the Aussie teams have improved, and then the best Aussie side gets completely dismantled by the Blues at Eden Park.