Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Tyma posted:

Can we just decline to play in the 3rd place match, and organise something that people actually want to watch, like Japan vs France?

Japan vs Barbarians made from whoever is still hanging out in Japan and fancies a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Japan vs Barbarians made from whoever is still hanging out in Japan and fancies a game.

This or Japan v France would be immense fun.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

There has to be a Japan/France end of year test in 2020, right? I mean after this RWC Japan is pretty clearly a Tier 1 nation and should be testing themselves against other T1 teams...

There’s already a couple of England test matches planned for July and I’ll bet some other teams will be lining things up as well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
:toxx:

1. If Wales win on Friday, I will donate $20 to Women's Refuge.
2. If England win the World Cup, I will change my avatar to one of related to England rugby or any specific individual like Eddie Jones or Owen Farrell as selected by the thread, first in first served, with red text lavishing praise upon them or proclaiming the superiority of English rugby as selected by the posters here.
3. If both happens, both conditions will be met.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Goddamn I love seeing the Boks win. I don’t even care that my wife kept cracking the “how do I know a box kick is about to happen? de Klerk is touching the ball :mmmhmm:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

More like Boks kick.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

Vagabundo posted:

More like Boks kick.

:vince:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Vagabundo posted:

More like Boks kick.

:perfect:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Am I the only one that feels like Japan dealt with the SA box kicks really well. Like Matsushima caught most of them quite clean as I recall. Feels like that particular part of their strategy didn’t do much vs Japan and it was really just their size and physical power that brought them through.

Lizzy
Jun 4, 2006

IRON MAN
31/10 never forget
I would love to see Japan vs lions or barbarians

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Japan looked really good in a number of attacks in the first half vs SA but they just weren't able to get points on the board. Second half they were ground down by negative play and seemingly lost their inspiration. I feel like if Japan had managed to get at least 1 try in the first half (that their play merited) they would have been able to keep their tempo up, keep the crowd energy up and maybe win. As it was their spirit was sapped by SA creeping the scoreboard up and Japan ended up getting destroyed, the last 15 minutes were very painful.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Am I the only one that feels like Japan dealt with the SA box kicks really well. Like Matsushima caught most of them quite clean as I recall. Feels like that particular part of their strategy didn’t do much vs Japan and it was really just their size and physical power that brought them through.

He did, but it didn't turn into points. SA just absorbed the attack, recovered the ball and kicked it back down the field so they could reset. Japan were throwing all their plans onto the field while Faf just kicked it away and said try again. It must have been frustrating as gently caress.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah SA didn't even really chase the kicks, just pinging them back and absorbed the attack.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Aramoro posted:

Yeah SA didn't even really chase the kicks, just pinging them back and absorbed the attack.

I kept getting frustrated that Faf kept going to the air in the first 15 and then I realized much later that it didn’t actually matter that they weren’t recovering the ball, as Wales couldn’t make anything happen.

I do not think this strategy will work against an England side as on fire as it was against the ABs. I’m pretty pumped about the game but I have no idea what an optimal approach against England looks like, I’ll leave that to the more knowledgeable people.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
SA are going to get thumped if whenever they get the ball they give it straight back to the England backs

their best bet is to make it a grindfest relying on the size and strength of their pack and try to win like 9-6

but neutralising the English attack is going to be a hell of a lot tougher than it was against a frankly dull and uninspired Wales

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

South Africa have conceded 9 points a game on average so far, just 4 tries the whole tournament so far. I think they'll go with Faf covering the blind channel as he's been doing so well, a off loading game trying to get width on it to at least make England's loose forwards run a lot. Lots of kicking again, again to make England keep running it back at them. If you try to pick and drive into England they'll absorb that all day and eventually turn you over.

From England's perspective they need to do what they've been doing and blast out the gates, get some early points on the board and make South Africa chase the game, it's how New Zealand beat them in the first game and it's how England can beat them. If they get ahead South Africa and choke the life out of any team in the world, when they're behind though?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Well let's see if England come up with tactics against a team who has basically used the same tactic two games in a row. If they don't they deserve to lose.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

if you're a neutral you should want the Boks to win because otherwise the British press will be even more unbearable than they already are

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Troy Queef posted:

if you're a neutral you should want the Boks to win because otherwise the British press will be even more unbearable than they already are

I mean however annoying you'd find pictures of Owen Farrell lifting the cup it's a million times better than "now immigrants are giving your children autism - and you're paying for it"

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean however annoying you'd find pictures of Owen Farrell lifting the cup it's a million times better than "now immigrants are giving your children autism - and you're paying for it"

As a diehard Boks fan, and I think you’ll be unsurprised by this take, seeing how it’s very common among fans, I would drat the entirety of England to an alt-right brexit xenophobic media hellscape if it means we win the cup.

Sorry not sorry

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Troy Queef posted:

if you're a neutral you should want the Boks to win because otherwise the British English press will be even more unbearable than they already are

FTFY

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

I don't think enough of England give enough of a gently caress about rugby for it to be a story for long. We don't really hear about 2003 anymore where as 1966 comes up regularly.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005
Have the match officials been named for the final? I remember the semi-final officials being named in the week or so leading up to the semi but don't recall the final ones if they were named at the same time.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

geegee posted:

Have the match officials been named for the final? I remember the semi-final officials being named in the week or so leading up to the semi but don't recall the final ones if they were named at the same time.

Garces is the ref, O'Keeffe and Poite will be his touch judges and Ben Skeen his TMO. Barnes gets the 3rd place game with Jaco Peyper and Pascal Gauzere.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Nigel Owens was ruled out due to a calf injury if anyone is wondering why he's not in charge of the final.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ben loving Skeen

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Chwyldro Dawnsio Dawns
Nigel Owens has had the England team cited for "loving around during the anthems". :neckbeard:

Just a small fine, though. Farrell will make more than enough money over the next year, via meme-based advertisements.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Uhh so I don't know anything about rugby. But apparently it's codified into the international rules that some teams get to dance, and others don't? Simply because they have been doing it for a long time and therefore it's tradition? And the non-dancing team can't just ignore it and warm up or whatever, they literally have to stand there and watch? Is that accurate? Is there some kind of process to introduce new dances for teams that want to make their own traditions? What happens if two dancing teams face one another, do they do a dance-off, take turns, or flip a coin for dancing privilege?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
They do a dance off

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They’re traditional tribal war dances, and generally part of larger culture for many of the Pacific Island nations - Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, New Zealand, etc. New Zealand and the All Blacks’ haka is the most famous. Because it’s such a spectacle (and because the ABs spin so much money for rugby) it’s given some leeway pre-match. You have to treat it with some respect, just like you do the anthems. Doesn’t mean that what England did was wrong, they mostly got in trouble due to a technicality of how close you can get at that time. There have been incidents in the past where teams almost got into fights pre-match, hence the rules about how close you can get.

Generally the European nations just stand and stare and don’t perform something back, as is our culture passed down by the English to have a stiff upper lip and just take it.

But what about when two of those Pacific Island teams meet? Boy howdy it can be fun

https://youtu.be/xj4wmC3higw

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

zmcnulty posted:

Uhh so I don't know anything about rugby. But apparently it's codified into the international rules that some teams get to dance, and others don't? Simply because they have been doing it for a long time and therefore it's tradition? And the non-dancing team can't just ignore it and warm up or whatever, they literally have to stand there and watch? Is that accurate? Is there some kind of process to introduce new dances for teams that want to make their own traditions? What happens if two dancing teams face one another, do they do a dance-off, take turns, or flip a coin for dancing privilege?

Pretty much yes. It's just a tradition that goes back over a century to when a touring NZ team with Maori players decided to do it. The other pacific island teams do as well.

Teams used to occasionally ignore them (Aussie legend David Campese famously did it in the RWC semi final) but the authorities have decided to crack down on that sort of thing more recently.

When the island teams play each other they both dance.

I don't think there would be any process for other teams to get the privilege - and there is no real clamour to do so anyway. So I don't think we'll see Scotland doing the gay gordans or whatever any time soon.

There other traditional quirks with the pre-match rituals - like Ireland getting to sing two anthems. Just the ways things are.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

zmcnulty posted:

Correct.

I think World Rugby is pretty unfair on not forcing people to watch, because that's sort of polite, but basically banning people from responding.

A couple of times people have done stuff which is sort of a response to the Haka adhering to Moari traditions and they've been fined.

Frankly if New Zealand are doing the Haka which is basically a war challenge, and your team ignores it, they will likely see that as a sign of weakness. However much I dislike England, and think Eddie Jones is a smug prick sometimes, he's smart. England's response was a challenge of its own, and the only reason they may get fined is because technically the dudes on the end of the V were too close.

I am 100% sure if you ask Eddie Jones whether paying £2,500 is worth it to get into New Zelands heads and beat them at the world cup though he'd say yes.

Also the dance offs are great, as demonstrated in that NZ vs Fiji video.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I kinda wish the haka would get banned because the tedious debates stirred up annually by the UK media really aren't worth the bother of keeping it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Nah, gently caress the UK media. I wouldn't even use most of the British newspapers to wipe my own arse in case the poo poo they printed on the paper somehow gave me an anus infection.

The Haka is great and always will be.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Nah, gently caress the UK media. I wouldn't even use most of the British newspapers to wipe my own arse in case the poo poo they printed on the paper somehow gave me an anus infection.

The Haka is great and always will be.

Do you have any idea how loving tedious it gets when some white oval office from the UK or Ireland decides that they have a god-given duty to lecture non-whites about their cultural displays?

It should be legal to beat any white British or Irish journalist to death with hammers if they ever feel like the entire world needs to listen to listen to their sanctimonious lectures about the Haka, as if we have some obligation to consider their opinions.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Vagabundo posted:

Do you have any idea how loving tedious it gets when some white oval office from the UK or Ireland decides that they have a god-given duty to lecture non-whites about their cultural displays?

It should be legal to beat any white British or Irish journalist to death with hammers if they ever feel like the entire world needs to listen to listen to their sanctimonious lectures about the Haka, as if we have some obligation to consider their opinions.

The best UK paper is by and far the Financial Times because the people who read that don't need people to tell them opinions, they need to be told facts in order to make money. Very little to no rugby coverage though as it traditionally has little impact on commodity trading.

After that the Guardian is OK but full of sanctimonious wankers, more likely to write about how the Haka is cultural appropriate by white settlers by some crazy author who's great grandad was maori our something. The Times is OK, but clearly right wing.

The, let's face it, English, tabloids are all a cancer on this society though. The only silver lining is that Rupert Murdoch is broadly losing money on them so they make him slightly poorer.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Kitchner posted:

The best UK paper is by and far the Financial Times

The Times is OK, but clearly right wing.

The Times has gone way downhill post referendum.

Agreed on FT though

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vagabundo posted:

this

Colonizers are upset at displays of local culture seeping through into "their game"

jesus loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wales putting out an impressive B team team

Wales: Amos; Lane, J Davies, Watkin, Adams; Patchell, T Williams; N Smith, Owens, D Lewis, Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Tipuric, J Davies, Moriarty.

Replacements: E Dee, Carre, W Jones, Ball, Shingler, G Davies, Biggar, Parkes.