Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

I'm qualified for Scotland and Italy... FML

Oh hello Tomasso Allan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Somewhere, a Welshman is having 2007 flashbacks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jedimastafez posted:

Wow I could see Japan beating Scotland

I could see Japan upsetting Ireland at the moment, tbh.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Watching the game with my mum. She’s going mental right now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, that intercept just won Japan the game.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

fallingdownjoe posted:

loving hell - well worth finding the one place in Madrid to watch that game. So impressed by the Japanese right now. Also pretty damning for the Irish - all the issues from earlier this year right back on the pitch. Out in the quarters again!

If Ireland remain 2nd, they face the All Blacks in the quarters, and they'd probably be in a bit of a point-proving mood, I imagine.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

hooman posted:

Genia is generally very slow around the back of the breakdown, a couple years ago it was criminal how many steps he was taking prior to throwing the pass, he came back a little quicker but is still far too slow.

The steps are a bit of a relic from a previous age, but seeing as how White does it too, it’s probably a deliberate tactic.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Goddamn, never underestimate Wales’ ability to squander what seems to be an unassailable lead against a Southern Hemisphere team.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kitchner posted:

It's not like beating Brazil, that would be like beating the all blacks. It's more like beating a team that is the best in the world on paper, but isn't really the best in the world. So I thought OK, maybe it's like beating England's football team with some sort of fledgling team, but I don't know enough about football to pick one that is equivalent to Japan.

It's like Saudi Arabia tipping over Belgium or the Netherlands in football. The Flemish lads are generally agreed as a pair of decent teams, with plenty of quality players (some of whom would be right up there amongst the best at the international level) and would have a decent chance at themselves beating just about anyone on their day, but both have generally underachieved at the showcase event in their sport. The Netherlands are historically one of the best teams to never have won the World Cup, despite the odd finals appearance, and the Irish rugby team, 2007 onwards, have generally underachieved at the Rugby World Cup having never advancing beyond the quarterfinals - although they had a pretty good excuse of "1/3 of our starting XV including the captain were unavailable, 4 to injury and 1 to idiocy, going into the quarters," in 2015.

Much like the Saudi football team, the Japanese team is in a weird place where they're not considered a particularly strong team (although they've been in or close to a top 10 spot in the World Rugby rankings for a while, and them outranking Italy, for example, is not unusual any more) but they've also got a professional domestic league of a sufficient quality.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If there's one thing the world is in desperate need of, it's middle-aged white men criticising native customs and practices.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

I don’t get it.

Etzebeth was accused of assault shortly before the Springboks flew out to Japan, in which he is supposed to have used a racial slur. He could potentially be pulled out of the Springboks RWC squad to face the charges. If the allegations are true, that's fair enough, but it'll be fairly devastating to the Springboks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Japan are better placed to make it through, sitting on 9 points so far, with 2 games in hand. They have a +27PD, to Scotland's +10. If they get a bonus point win over Samoa, all they need is a draw, or a loss within 7, with 4 tries scored to get through. The magic number for them is 16 basically to qualify into the quarters. Ireland are probably safe on the back of a +52PD. Whomever comes first gets to then play South Africa, and second place heads directly towards a showdown with the All Blacks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Can you get a try bonus point if you lose?

Yep. As long as you've scored 4+ tries, that's a bonus point regardless of the final outcome of the game.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This Wallabies performance is just really, really poo poo. Undisciplined and completely lacking is any sort of attacking nous.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That is a shocking call.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

That could be red too?

Probably should’ve been a yellow at least.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So how was Labuschage meant to change his direction while in the air?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

I remember when Canada used to be good at the rugby. :smith:

Squidge did a good video looking at it, but it comes down to glorified beancounters with little knowledge or passion for the game being put in charge of the sport, looking to cut corners and pinching the pennies so hard that QEII screams. I think the backroom staff of the Canadian national team, which is a barebones effort if there ever was one, best exemplifies it:

Kingsley Jones - Head Coach
Henry Paul - Assistant Coach
Alana Gattinger - Team Manager
Michael Deasy - Strength and Conditioning
Mallory White - Physiotherapist

And that's all that's listed on their website.

Compare that to a team that currently occupies the space they did back in the mid-90s~2005 (the year Canada last registered a win against a Tier 1 team. In this case, it was Argentina, touring in Canada): Japan (this, once again, is what's listed on their website)

Yuichiro Fuji - High Performance Director
Jamie Joseph - Head Coach
Tony Brown - Attack Coach
Scott Hansen - Defence Coach
Shin Hasegawa - Scrum Coach
Simon Jones - Stregth and Conditioning coach
Chihiro Ota - Strength and Conditioning coach
David Galbraith - Mental Coach
Sohei Takamori - Team Doctor
Karl McDonald - Performance Coordinator
Hidenori Izawa - Physiotherapist
Junnosuke Aono - Trainer
Shumpei Hamano - Analyst
Andrew Watts - Analyst
Takashi Toda - Analyst
Hedenori Sato - Interpreter
Takenori Omura - Team Manager
Yumiko Sasabayashi - Assistant (not sure whom she's assistant to, but I assume it's Omura)
Randle Yamamuro - Baggage Master
Hiroyuki Yabuki - Media Manager

Or Ireland, who were the most recent non-NZ team to be ranked no. 1 in the World Rugby rankings
Joe Schmidt - Head Coach
Paul Dean - Team Manager
Simon Easterby - Forwards Coach
Andy Farrell - Defence Coach
Greg Feek - Scrum Coach
Richie Murphy - Kicking Coach
Jason Cowman - Strength and Conditioning Coach
Mervyn Murphy - Technical Analyst
Ciaran Cosgrave - Team Doctor
Ruth Wood-Martin - IRFU Performance Nutritionist
Keith Fox - Physiotherapist
Colm Fuller - Physiotherapist
David Revins - Masseur
Willy Bennett - Masseur
John Moran - Kit and Logistic Coordinator
Vinny Hammond - High Performance Analyst
David O'Siochain - Media and Communications Officer
Gerard Carmody - Head of Operations
Sinead Bennett - Team Services

There are also significant structural issues to the game in Canada, which has meant that they've struggled (and failed) to retain a huge bulk of their age group players. End result is that the Canadian team has to rely on the odd individual that is able to break through to Europe or Super Rugby (DTH van der Merwe, Matt Tierney and Tyler Ardron in the current squad).

The recent plus though, is that a sizeable portion of their team now play professionally in the USA-based Major League Rugby, which has included a Canada-based team, the Toronto Arrows.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 8, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Wish I was a Baggage Master, sounds like a cool job.

Physical baggage or emotional baggage?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

France realised their world cup campaign was going too well so far: https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/r...xing-of-captain

Not surprising, to be honest. They've been quite inconsistent within the games themselves - often starting strong but then fading after 20 to 30 minutes, before switching back on near the end.

I guess this means they're finally going to win a title, after a 4th go at winning a final.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bessantj posted:

Isn't it Australia 142-0 over Namibia?

That's the biggest winning margin. The highest score is still the 145 posted by the All Blacks against Japan back in 1995.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh cool, Garces here to gently caress the Fijians like a chicken at one of Caligula's parties.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 9, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Test matches on Sunday are all going ahead. Saturday's tests in the Tokyo, Yokohama and Oita areas are all cancelled. That means All Blacks v. Italy and England v. France are off. Japan v. Scotland is still going ahead as planned, as well as Ireland v. Samoa and Australia v. Georgia.

None of the cancelled tests will have any bearing on the final standings of the pool stages.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

e2: now there are reports they offered to hold NZ-Italy on Monday but NZ declined :11tea:
How so very dare Hansen opt to forgo a dead rubber that would mean that the All Blacks would have a reduced turnaround time between tests going into the knockout rounds, not to mention a risk of injury.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They were playing Italy. It was a dead rubber.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

He shouldn't have a say.

May not have been true anyway, but it shouldn't require both teams to consent. One team will always find a reason to get pissy about it and will veto strategically.

Also the teams that had their final match cancelled had their injury risk reduced substantially. So enjoy that ABs, I guess.

It's not true anyway - what a surprise to see the British press just plain making poo poo up to try to slander the All Blacks.

And "he shouldn't have a say" in a situation where his team would be arbitrarily disadvantaged going into the knock-out rounds? gently caress off.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

Nice ninja edit attempt. Italy weren't eliminated, and yes, why should Hansen's desire for rest days override Italy being arbitrarily denied a chance to qualify for the quarterfinal? You gently caress off.

Italy were never going to qualify, and whomever won would go into the quarters with a reduced turnaround time anyway. Any coach, if they were offered a choice in that scenario which never even happened to begin with, would be well within their rights to refuse - something that even a thick oval office like Brian Moore has conceded.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

Would have been a 4-day turnaround compared to their opponents' 5.
Now they get a 12-day turnaround compared to their opponents' 5.

Though it hardly matters if we can't agree that canceling a match affects the tournament's integrity more than turnaround times.

The terms were clear in the Terms of Participation that all unions signed. But hey, keep getting pissy over some bullshit that noted thick oval office Brian Moore shat out all over his poo poo column in a poo poo rag.

And before you continue to bemoan the plight of the poor put-upon Italians, the NZRU proposed the test be moved to Friday, before the typhoon hit but were turned down.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bessantj posted:

Really hope all games are on tomorrow. I'm getting up at 4am for Namibia/Canada.

Guess which game they just cancelled!

World Rugby is checking until 6 hours before kick-off to make the call.

Re: the Japan v. Scotland game, here's footage from the captain's run.

https://twitter.com/JRFUMedia/status/1182846004782977024

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 12, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

It will be canceled.

Official announcement will be in about an hour.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The pitch is being inspected right now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

Are they inspecting it in boats?

Apparently the pitch is fine, but the area around the stadium is flooded.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apparently Japan v. Scotland will go ahead, but it's a case of whether it'll be behind closed doors or not.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I assume it’s not televised if behind closed doors?

Why?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

England v. Australia will be officiated by Jerome Garces. Based on his refereeing in Perth, that means he'll arbitrarily award territory to one team after they knock on, and they'll will be allowed to do whatever they want in the rucks, while the other team will be penalised if they so much as breathe on they're opponents. He's quite simply, not fit to referee at the test level.
The Assistant refs are Romain "Qu'est-ce qu'un hors-jeu?" Poite and Mathieu "Drooling idiot" Raynal.
Fun Police Ben Skeen will be the TMO.

Basically, gently caress French refs, they'll go out of their way to ruin this game.

As mentioned Nige will take the All Blacks v. Ireland quarter.
His assistants are Pascal Gauzere and Angus Gardiner.

Graham Hughes, who is actually pretty good, will be the TMO.

Wales v. France will be officiated by Jaco Peyper
The Assistant Refs are Nic Berry and Paul Williams.
Marius Jonker will by the TMO.

Japan v. South Africa will be officiated by Wayne "Actually improved by leaps and bounds since 2007, and it's a real shame he's packing it in after the tournament" Barnes.
The Assistant Refs are Ben O'Keeffe and Luke Pearce.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Went to school with one of them. He's the current record holder for most caps for the Ice Blacks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

They could have been the Black Ice and been all dangerous to motorists.

I think Australia are going to win by killing Farrell to force Ford on and then relentlessly bullying him.

The Wallabies are absolutely in no danger of making the semis.

My brother and sister-in-law's dad, who is English, are coming over to watch. He went through the DABDA process over the course of 80 minutes 4 years ago.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

England generally never looked too troubled that entire game. They didn’t have to do anything special, it was just basics, and Australia just couldn’t cope with the defensive pressure.

The Wallabies themselves were just terrible though. Completely unimaginative play, with endless one-off runners that were constantly getting knocked back. Honestly, I couldn’t work out what the Wallabies game plan was on attack at all.

England could only beat who was in front of them, but gently caress me if Australia didn’t make it easy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Stupid from Ireland there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Card him, Nige.