Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

All non Maori New Zealanders should be made to play for Scotland imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

i was promised an explanation of Pods and i got a youtube video referencing them but i want more Pod Learning

so i got the impression it's the groups you arrange your forwards in across the field, like 1-2-2-2-1 or 2-3-3-2 or whatever. i forget the total number it adds up to. what number does it add up to, and what do different arrangements signify? i'm guessing the side-members of the pods jump in on the sides of the middle-podster in the ruck(?) after the tackle and help win the ball back quickly. what role do non-forwards play in this? to what degree am i simply Wrong?

i have a wallabies hat and nobody cares about this in the usa and ive got relatives down there too so im a wallabies fan for this tournament. i like new zealand in cricket - i've got my poo poo all hosed up

It’s coming my good dude

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Blood and Mud. For YouTube, Squidge and 1014

They could all go in the OP if you wanted

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Said I would do this so here goes. An effortpost on attacking structure and pods. Or, how to watch rugby more better.

I’m gonna go ahead and assume you know what a ruck is

Tyma posted:

When the player with the ball is tackled to the ground, both teams crowd around him and form a Big Pushing Contest.

You’re going to hear a lot about Ball Carriers, Line Speed, and the Rush Defence at this World Cup. Here’s why:

So set pieces - scrums and lineouts- are the main times for teams to execute pre-planned set moves. For the rest of the game, the ebb and flow of rugby is all about the rucks. Defences have to decide whether to commit players to the ruck, trying to slow the ball down or even steal it - or to keep those players in the defensive line, giving up possession and trusting your tacklers.

Generally, 15 defenders is more than enough to cover a rugby pitch, so the attacking side has to try and get the defence out of position. The easiest way to do this is is to get a runner over the Gain Line, which is generally the back foot of the opponents’ ruck. This means the defenders have to backtrack to stay onside, so it’s harder for them to charge up in your face. So break the gain line, recycle the ball quickly from the ensuing ruck before the defence can reset itself, and look for gaps. Current wisdom is that you have about Two Seconds to get the ball out of a ruck after a line break before the defence can reset. Two Seconds or less is called Quick Ball, and it’s what everyone wants. But a lot of the time, you don’t get quick ball. The best flankers in the world are expert at semi-legally slowing down the ball, holding it in the ruck for a second while their teammates reorganise. Slow ball is when you’re most likely to see the attacking team use Pods, thought they’re also part of the general structure of the game.

So in the good old days when men were men and international rugby players were also solicitors and thoracic surgeons, attacking meant give the ball to the backs and they would Pass it Down the Line to the Fast Guy. Devastating flashy moves included the Miss One, the Miss Two, the Switch, and Bringing the Full Back into the Line. If you’ve played low level social rugby, you’re probably familiar with this style of play but it used to be what everyone did. The forwards would chase the ball over the pitch then all pile into the ruck when you’re smallest fastest barrister/RAF sergeant got tackled.

Obviously it’s pretty inefficient to have your forwards run in after the ball all day. Especially when your forwards were twenty stone off-duty policemen. These days, because of better coaching and law changes, you only really need to commit two or three players to most rucks to win the ball, so it makes more sense to spread your forwards across the pitch in little groups, so they’ll already be there when the ball arrives. But modern pods do more than this. Here’s are the 1014 guys looking at a nice picture of some pods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssR2YbQAQM&t=231s

So a Pod is a group of 2-3 forwards, usually with a ball handler just in front or behind -your 10, 12, and sometimes 15 (see New Zealand). The video shows a 1-3-3-1 formation - instead of a line of backs, you have groups of 3 forwards each with a back behind them. One forward will carry the ball, the other two will immediately win the ruck to get Quick Ball for the next attack. Two pods to hit the ball up, and a forward on each wing to help out when the ball goes wide (this way if your wing gets tackled there's someone there to win the ball quickly/a lazy bastard to loiter all game and then steal all the glory). This is why Kieran Read and Dane Coles scores so many tries on the wing, incidentally.

So the 9 can either pass to the forwards in the pod, or to the 10 behind them. On slow ball, you’ll pass it to the big feller up front, he will have a charge and try to get over the gain line (hence Ball Carriers). When he’s tackled, he has two forwards with him to hit the ruck and try and get the ball out within that magic two seconds. And then the second pod is in position to do the same again.

The best way to stop this is for the defence to charge up like loving lunatics and collide with the ball carrier as hard as possible. This is not good for your brain but it works. This is called having good Line Speed.

But wait! Once the defence has focused on the ball carrier, he can pop a pass Out the Back to the ball handler behind him, who will chuck it wide while the defence is still committed to the narrow carrier. Brodie Retallick and Kyle Sinckler are really good at this kind of out the back pass. The idea is, the defence has to stay narrow to focus on the three huge cunts charging at them, so there should be space out wide. Often the 10 will tell the ball carrier whether to charge or pass it back, so the grunt doesn’t have to think, just show off his sweet sweet handling skills.

So when you try to get the ball wide, the defence will often send a couple of players charging up to cut off the wide pass in midfield. This is the second part of the Rush Defence and it seems super risky but Ireland and South Africa in particular have honed it to an art. It’s the one tactic that’s given the All Blacks trouble in recent years, which is why they’re now playing an extra ball handler at full back - to get round the rush defence. But generally the best way to beat the rush defence is just to have massive loving ball carriers hump it over the gainline to stop the defence from charging up. This is why England have a chance to win this World Cup, but only if Tuilagi and the Vunipolas stay healthy. Those guys are very very nasty ball carriers.

Examples!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=926MDAqzkbI&t=115s

Here at 1.55 England go left to Jamie George at the head of a pod. They win the ruck quickly and go the other way to a pod led by Tuilagi. Ireland have to focus on Tuilagi so he pops the ball out the back to Farrell. This forces Stockdale to come up into the line to cover; Daly chips into the space he just left, and they score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRx3KrQ83mc&t=28s
At 0.28 Kyle Sinckler at the head of the pod draws in the defence and then shows sweet sweet hands out the back. Sam Johnson tries to rush out to cut off the pass but he absolutely fucks it and England have space out wide and eventually score.
4.21 same video Farrell has a midfield pod running outside him but he telegraphs the pass and Finn Russell intercepts and scores.
Then at 5.21 the Scotland defence is absolutely knackered but the final nail is England run a big forward pod close to the ruck. The Scotland defence stays tight to stop it but Genge fires a nice pass out the back to Ford who runs in untouched to ruin the greatest comeback in the history of ever.

So yeah basically a pod
1. Pre-spreads your forwards to be where the ball will be
2. Creates carrying units to try and break the gain line before winning the ball back quickly
3. Keeps the defence guessing whether the ball will go narrow or wide

I find watching this game makes a lot more sense if I can identify the attacking pods - then you can see the decision a players are making - give the ball to the charging pod or use them as a decoy and chuck it wide. There are variations but this is the general gist. Hope that makes some sense. If you see something wrong then shout.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Reckon Seymour’s lucky to get in the side based on form.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

ITV have brought in Miles Harrison :(

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Mon Fiji

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Fiji’s tackling is unbelievably good

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I think Fiji win that if Yato and Mata stay on the pitch. Hope Hodge gets cited

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

What happened to Big Bill?

Didn’t see but he was off around half time

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I’m thinking forcing all your national players into one club team might actually be bad

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Takalua’s leg muscles...

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Who the hell is Iain Peyton

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Ali Price is going home with a foot injury but don’t worry Henry Pyrgos is coming to replace him.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GREtAYB0TVY

Squidge: still so much better than whichever tv pundits you’re subjected to

bigfoot again fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 24, 2019

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

If we’re doing foul play does anyone have the gif of Kieran Read clotheslining du Toit?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks. It’s a good one isn’t it? (I don’t think he should be cited)

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

It's pretty pathetic from the South African press to get sooky about that, it's hardly the crime of the century.

On the one hand, yes it is. On the other hand, NZ fans in this very thread were moaning piteously about the missed penalty try in the same game.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

We're NZers. Whining is what we do. In saying that, one was a professional foul to stop a certain try, one was a careless go at a player who was in an infringing position. And compared to one on the hits on Savea, it wasn't much.

You know what? Fair do’s to ya. I will admit the following grievances are legitimate:
1. The northern unions mismanage world rugby
2. The 95 team were definitely poisoned before the final
3. Wayne Barnes hosed you in 07

bigfoot again fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 26, 2019

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Sir Clive is such a tremendous dickhead.

I predict England are about to deliver an underwhelming performance.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I love Ellis Genge

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Flayer posted:

Shameful of England to let that try in at the end. We are going to get battered by the first good team we face.

What a weird response

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I just listened to Michael Cheika and now I’m sorry I called NZ fans whiny because Cheika is in fact the whiniest man on the planet. He is whinier than Sir John Kirwan even.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

In more serious news, World Rugby have shut Squidge down because of copyright because they are arse morons

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

E-nm.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Does Argentina have a chance? With this game they’re up to six points to France’s four. I could see France losing to England, and if they lose to Tonga or Argentina beats England, Argentina passes through?

If Argentina beat England they still have a chance and it will likely come down to bonus points/tries scored

Or if England do a 2015 and lose to both then arg and France go through

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Ireland without Sexton are bad and Sexton is Old

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

142-0 if I remember.

Nasty tackle on Leitch which injured his neck

Eh, think I’m with the tackler on that one.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Excellent job by Ben Ryan and the BBC describing Japan’s win as ‘seismic’. Great job guys good journalism

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

What a great game of rugby

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I’m an England fan but I sort of wish Francis had eaten a ban

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Should of been a straight red

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

The article is bad but English commentators do loove talking about Physicality and Ill-Discipline whenever a Pacific team is playing.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I liked it when Tim Nanai-Williams tried to tackle wee Gregg Laidlaw but actually smashed him over the try line from about fifteen yards out. He looked so surprised

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Wow Paddy Power has odds exactly even for Scotland-Japan. Hard to argue.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

The Howley betting slip isn’t real ya dinghies

And neither is world rugby’s contingency plan lol

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

So media, fans, and posters here are getting mad at something the All Blacks categorically did not do?

NZ tv systematically seeks out the worst Most moronic takes from the UK Times and Telegraph, which isn’t hard to do, and then amplified them so everyone can get angry about them. Welcome to media world. No real person gives a gently caress about this

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah, all you people not actually in Japan shouldn’t be saying poo poo because you really don’t know.

I’m at Narita hoping my flight take off tomorrow.

Nobody is saying they should play in a typhoon. They’re saying World Rugby should have had a contingency plan other than “move the game from Yokohama to Tokyo” which is basically the same city.

Anyone who thinks Scotland wouldn’t have a legitimate gripe if they get eliminated this way is wrong. If I was a Japan fan I’d be pretty miffed too, frankly, because they would probably win.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

What a great game. Japan are absolutely legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I’ve been quite impressed by Nic Berry this tournament.

SRU will finish a glorious tournament with a disrepute charge for publicly threatening to sue before the game went ahead.