Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Why do I continue to insist on rooting for teams that continue to disappoint me :sidvicious:

After watching the replay of England-USA (finally, these time zones are a bitch being in the US) I would like to clarify that I meant Fiji. I have no national pride.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
One of the things I appreciate most about rugby is the concern about player safety. I mean, at that late England breakaway in the Eng-USA game they were 100% going to score a try and the ref stopped the game because a player was down.

I think that the focus on high tackles is a good thing and that Twitter dude is wrong.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

goatface posted:

Farrell has had worse, he probably just sees it as the price of being him. Quill didn't call him a oval office at the same time so it obviously wasn't malicious.

The dust-up that happened right after that was because of the high tackle, right?

Also the arm-tuck on that tackle was extremely telling, in my fat couch spectator opinion. Dude didn’t even attempt a proper tackle, it was a hockey check.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Does Argentina have a chance? With this game they’re up to six points to France’s four. I could see France losing to England, and if they lose to Tonga or Argentina beats England, Argentina passes through?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Just finished the replay of the Wales-Aus game. Lot of penalties that just seemed non-starters for me. That forearm was dumb and totally should have been played on. I’m glad Wales won by more than three because it would’ve been real ill-gotten gains to win by a PK off of a stupid penalty.

I’m not really pulling for either team, but that mustache can eat a dick. He’s a cocky prick, isn’t he?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Vaders Jester posted:

If Scotland don't put Russia away with 4+ tries, they never deserved to get to the QF anyway.

This. I don’t anticipate there being an issue with this, but Scotland has an absolute tough Japan side (with momentum and home field advantage) to face in what is essentially an early KO match. If Scotland hasn’t given themselves every possible advantage in the way of pool points then I don’t see them closing the deal. My gut is a Japan Ireland top two.

If that is the case, does Japan play SA? My math is bad.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

oh no computer posted:

If Japan top the group, the only way they wouldn't play SA would be if Italy beat NZ

So yeah they'd play SA.

Hell yeah

:getin:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Japan Scotland is still on, correct? Not even a whisper that it’ll be cancelled? I’m going to be bummed the gently caress out if it is

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Aramoro posted:

During the Ireland match they were saying its likely to be cancelled.

Woof. That means japan and Ireland are in, with Japan facing AB and Ireland facing RSA?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Flayer posted:

Japan will win the group based on head to head record so will face SA.

Ah, it’s two for a draw, not one. That’s my mistake.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Bet Scotland is gonna feel real lovely to eat a KO due to a cancel. I’m glad they’re being safe but it sucks to cancel games :(

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Vagabundo posted:

Apparently Japan v. Scotland will go ahead, but it's a case of whether it'll be behind closed doors or not.

I assume it’s not televised if behind closed doors?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I don’t know, I just assumed that the normal infrastructure wouldn’t be there

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I don’t know who I’m going to root for, now :( I normally back the springboks but I really want Japan to go deep

... :wink:

I thought the Japanese side put a really impressive effort forth yesterday. There’s only a few places where things will need to be tidied up against RSA, but lineouts are 100% on that list.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Apollodorus posted:

I missed this thread getting started, which is a shame because I used to post here all the time.

So glad I both a) got up to watch Japan-Scotland and b) did not bother getting up to watch USA-Tonga

How is our Sevens team apparently a now-perennial contender for best in the world while our Test team can go back-to-back winless at the RWC?

We keep saying we're a "sleeping giant" but I think it's actually a coma, JFC.

Anyway, go Japan I guess.

Only seven dudes in the US play rugby at all well

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Goddamn I love seeing the Boks win. I don’t even care that my wife kept cracking the “how do I know a box kick is about to happen? de Klerk is touching the ball :mmmhmm:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Vagabundo posted:

More like Boks kick.

:perfect:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Aramoro posted:

Yeah SA didn't even really chase the kicks, just pinging them back and absorbed the attack.

I kept getting frustrated that Faf kept going to the air in the first 15 and then I realized much later that it didn’t actually matter that they weren’t recovering the ball, as Wales couldn’t make anything happen.

I do not think this strategy will work against an England side as on fire as it was against the ABs. I’m pretty pumped about the game but I have no idea what an optimal approach against England looks like, I’ll leave that to the more knowledgeable people.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean however annoying you'd find pictures of Owen Farrell lifting the cup it's a million times better than "now immigrants are giving your children autism - and you're paying for it"

As a diehard Boks fan, and I think you’ll be unsurprised by this take, seeing how it’s very common among fans, I would drat the entirety of England to an alt-right brexit xenophobic media hellscape if it means we win the cup.

Sorry not sorry

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Flayer posted:

How long do you think the All Blacks practice different versions of the Haka? Maybe if they spent more time practicing rugby instead of dance moves they wouldn't have got thrashed by England :thunk:

Now there’s a spicy keychain.

I like the Haka, and the fact that it changes is pretty cool. I will admit the throat slash from the 2015 cup was a little more intimidating than the “toss trash over my shoulder” move but still very entertaining.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I’ve decided that TMO sucks and it should go away. I’m watching baseball and they just did a TMO challenge for a loving tag out because the runner might have come off the base for a tenth of a second. When the TMO nickels and dimes like this, it’s just so stupid and it drags the game down, regardless of what game it is. Can anyone tell me good arguments for TMO? The one solid argument I see is catching sneaky but dangerous or outright foul play.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Kitchner posted:

Sure if the TMO is used to call out every minor infraction the game will grind to a hault, but it's clear this generally isn't what happens, as games can see marginal forward passes, ruck shenanigans, scrum collapsing, all that kind of stuff which isn't stopping the game every 5 minutes.

I guess I will agree that the TMO isn’t being overused in the RWC, but I will argue that when it is used it is 100% a momentum killer, especially with regards to hits. A team can be on a tear, have a marginally questionable tackle that results in no injuries, and have the TMO just murder their progress with a silly penalty. We’ve already seen this happen. I guess I want the TMO there for the serious stuff, but I’d much rather it be play on most of the time.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Aramoro posted:

Dangerous play should always be penalised, the TMO didn't make Vahaamahina elbow the guy in the head. You've got it backwards, the TMO isn't giving away silly penalties, the players are it's just they're being caught now.

That’s not what I’m saying at all. I think that particular example is a great reason why the TMO should be kept (despite all my hyperbolic commentary otherwise). But as Julio mentioned, they spend minutes just going over every agonizing frame and I think that sucks. If the penalty isn’t immediately noticeable in a short amount of time then just let the play on the field stand. I’d rather bad calls sometimes go through than have the TMO convincing the on field ref that something happened via three minutes of frame-by-frame.

Having the TMO call down to Barnes to ask to review play is an stupid application of the process! They should be there as a backup, not as a primary form of correction.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Finally caught the final on replay. Bokke putting up some amazing defense, excellent scrummaging. Kolbe, du Toit, Faf, Pollard, everybody was loving killing it. Shame about the early injuries for both sides, probably a ton of disappointment :/

Glad to see Garces gone

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Getting sloppy

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Oh poo poo you're allowed to run in over there?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Lol keystone kops plays

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Just a half second too early on the dive

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
One point margins are the best

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
just a little sin, as a treat

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Pretty okay mauls from the French side tonight

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Big oof on that right leak

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I mean I wouldn't just throw it to the French, probably a better pass option than that

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Pressure is on!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I was gonna say wtf is he coming back for?!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Donezo

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Mad French poo poo indeed!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Gasmask posted:

penaud looks like someone typed justin bieber into an ai art generator

Lolol

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
No fuckin way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Lots of penalties out of AB today, shameful