Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Anyone actually coming over to watch? I was a lazy poo poo and did not actually apply for any tickets despite living in Japan and uh this being a once in a lifetime thing, but know enough people whoíve been trying to dump them that Iíve got the opening match tomorrow and a couple quarterfinal games way the duck over in Oita.

Should really probably grab some more.

I've got tickets for both games in Sapporo, so going to go see Australia-Fiji and England-Tonga, and very likely going to the fan zone tomorrow night for the opener and Saturday night for New Zealand-South Africa. Went out to the main Canterbury store in Jingumae today too, so absolutely ready for some rugby. Also have a ticket for USA-Argentina, which is likely to end in a broken Eagles pack most likely.

having all of these games both on broadcast TV and also DAZN means my wife is going to be awful tired of rugby come November 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Watched the first half at one of the Sapporo fan zones, a ton of English and Aussies and mostly backing for Japan in that match.

Maybe itís just been a while but I thought the Russian forwards were super aggressive in the ruck a lot of times, almost worth getting a penalty for diving in, and daring the ref to call it.

Japan was a lot better with the ball but Iím not shocked they gave away that first try, they looked tight as gently caress coming in. Little bit of pressure on.

Time to see Australia at the Dome today and then eventually catch New Zealand-South Africa. Should be a good day.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

All of the matches have been good fun so far. I think about half of Australia wound up in Sapporo, and there were plenty of neutrals and English fans who got tickets for both games this weekend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Italy with some beautiful running and then tripping over their own dick. Seems to type so far.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

レイドラー君の大冒険、スタート!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

First five games of the tourney, the first team to score has lost the match.

Not sure this will continue in this match.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tarbrush posted:

That man in the union jack suit needs to die a sudden painful death

I saw both those guys on the way in, they got to the area early to neck beers in a convenience store parking lot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

A bit boring for the neutral, England couldíve made it a bigger lead and Tonga never really threatened.

At least we got a couple free beers from the stand nearby! This is the last of two games at the venue so Iím not sure they needed to keep any Heinekens around.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If anybody is going to matches ó the RWC has changed their policy, you can now bring in outside food to the stadium. Outside drinks still barred.

https://twitter.com/japan2019_eng/s...957734786662400

Bringing food in is pretty normal for baseball/soccer matches in Japan, and will help stem that whole ďrunning out of food at concessions standsĒ issue they had this weekend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the only joy from that USA game as an American was when they put in the jumbo fullback for a blood sub, everything else was pretty awful.

the downtown Tokyo fanzone is really nice btw and will be good when it's a good game and not full of English fans making castles out of spent Heineken tins. I'll definitely go again after work next week.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

HOLY loving poo poo JAPAN GET THE gently caress INNNNN

Every bullet train stop between Hamamatsu and Tokyo is going to be absolutely dry by the time the Japanese fans are done tonight.

Slumfrog posted:

I saw Namibia play Australia in 2003 WC. Didn't plan on going, but my dad assured me Namibia were not too bad. Perhaps on the level of a Springbok B side. Trusting his superior rugby knowledge I bought tickets and went along, only to spend 80 minutes watching Namibia kick-off, Aus casually stroll down to score under the posts, convert, reset. Not sure there was a contested ball all game, in the air or the ruck. 140 odd to nil I seem to remember.

Thinking back, this might have been the game I remember watching in high school where they said the opponent scrum pack was on roller skates

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chills here seeing the Fanzone go nuts after the Japan win

https://twitter.com/tokyo_rugby2019...112446969634816

This also became a topic of conversation in the local Japan thread, so fairly unsurprising to see the newspapers wake up after the stunner in Shizuoka

https://twitter.com/dominicrumbles/...110740739186688

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Have a fair few Aussie friends at the match, so hopefully this becomes a better night for them.

though if it takes Australia this long to score a try they're going to run out of time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What a play to keep the ball in on the penalty kick though.

[edit] Wales appear to be unleashing every ounce of the dark arts here

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God Australia are going to score with like 5 seconds left.

Or not!

Australia had a good period of fight but they spent about 10 minutes shoving one try in and just couldn't get a second in the second half.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japanese coverage just popped up the fun stat that it's 29 degrees and 63% humidity at the ground right now. I'm wondering if the Scottish players think they're playing in a sauna.

also there's another typhoon set to roll through this weekend, the reporting so far is suggesting the France-USA game in Fukuoka is most likely to be impacted.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Yeah it looks really slippy and slidy out there. Difficult conditions.

so much for Scotland practicing with soaped-up pills to help get used to this. I think it's just sweaty as all hell out there.

[edit] that's a well-deserved try for Maitland, he's been pretty outstanding so far.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 30, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

Foot like a traction engine

That's a good Aussie Rules goal to be honest

Samoa with one in the sin bin as a result of giving up a penalty try, this is going to lead to Scotland getting the bonus point isn't it

[edit] first streaker of the World Cup?

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 30, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

three Samoan dudes in rice paddy hats. who's gonna be the one to call them out for that, because it's certainly not gonna be me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japanís menís soccer team is one of the best-sponsored out there, so if the corporations even bandwagon a little bit after this World Cup itíll help the Japanese game.

Still needs to go professional and mirror the J-League in structure and go away from the corporate teams IMO. And somebody should save the Sunwolves from their imminent demise.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

How long have these chip kicks as American football-style end zone fade routes been a thing?

also I double checked, 24 degrees C and 90+% humidity in Oita tonight for this game

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Aramoro posted:

I want to say the first cross field kick try was maybe 10-15 years ago. Assuming that's what you mean, I understood nothing after the word kick.

The fade route like this is a common way to try and get a touchdown in American football when you're close in almost identical circumstances. It's got a bit better odds than in football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx6_oAAqGYI

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not quite sure why the PA at the game was just playing "Sweet Home Alabama," that's not even a Wacky Japan thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

well, at least the Italian scrum was already having to be uncontested wow, not sure I've seen somebody dump a player like that in a while

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

*referee calls both captains over*

so now you're going to just do league scrums...

wow, now the try is called back? ref keeping himself busy tonight.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

I am getting worried about Japan's chances. I realised that if they lose against Scotland and Scotland gets a BP, Japan might again miss out on the quarter finals despite winning three out of four matches. And before that they still need to win vs. Samoa this weekend which is doable but might not be that easy.

Samoa has been playing pretty poorly, I think Japan could be in for a bonus point either way. The Scotland game will be a complete crapshoot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Come on Japan, knock it with the stupid mistakes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Canít believe ďwaiting to see if they can punch in a fourth tryĒ would lead to so much drama and pressure, but here we are.

Very interesting call against the Samoa scrummie to award the penalty to Japan in the first place...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Scotland could still cause chaos, but they play Wednesday and then Sunday, which is a tough turnaround.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Both Italian props have copped bans for that absurd tip "tackle" in the SA game.

It was less a tackle and more a pro wrestling tag-team finisher.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugb...s-38568957.html
So if the Ireland Vs Samoa match was cancelled it would be counted as a draw and potentially allow both Scotland and Japan to qualify for the quarter final ahead of Ireland.

Which could possibly happen because itís still typhoon season here. That was brought up as the rule a while back. Another option I heard earlier today is moving a match location.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What's the tiebreakers if they're tied? Point differential is majorly weighed toward Japan right now but Scotland still has Russia to snack on to make some distance up. They may need to drop 50+ on Russia in order to make the Japan game more plausible.

Japan getting the bonus point against Samoa may be a decider after all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

COME ON YOU YANKS

Looks like most of one end zone is entirely elementary school kids as well

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So the typhoon is still gathering steam and set to hit Saturday afternoon. The games to watch for interruptions are, in order, England-France on Saturday, and then Namibia-Canada and Japan-Scotland on Sunday ó and it might not just be bad weather for the game but causing the transit to be stopped. (The other games are farther south and itís the Tokyo area and northeastern Japan that are forecast to get the brunt of it).

Will keep an eye on it, while also hiding out in my own apartment.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

I'm flying home from Narita Sunday morning so good timing on my part.

Itís supposed to be hitting Saturday afternoon, and the last typhoon in early September backed up train and road traffic to Narita for a couple days.

Havenít heard anything about changing the locations yet.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Another hypothetical regarding the weather.

https://twitter.com/FreemanrugbyJPN...926395762491392

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Itís so weird that they didnít put at least one game at Chichibu. Itís the national stadium, itís in the heart of Tokyo...they probably wanted to spread the love to the rest of the country, and really thereís no need to keep a match from Kyushu or from Kamaishi just to put one there.

More likely is using Tokyo Stadium since itís already all dressed up for the tourney.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yeah, it is a bit weird. I wonder if part of is that Chichibu at 27,000 capacity is way smaller than Tokyo (50,000) and Yokohama (72,000), but then again there's much smaller venues with RWC games in other parts of the country. I also wonder if they wanted to use Tokyo and Yokohama as much as they could as 'dry runs' of sorts to help prepare for the Olympics next year.

Nah. Both stadiums were built a while back, and Yokohama already hosted a FIFA World Cup final. Itís more about spreading things beyond Tokyo.

Originally the stadium in Tokyo was supposed to be the New National Stadium being built for the Olympics, but construction timelines were too tight for that. Still having finishing touches being added right now. They shifted the matches to Ajinomoto (Tokyo) Stadium instead.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Official Details

quote:

TOKYO, 10 Oct - After extensive evaluation, World Rugby and the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee have announced an update regarding the predicted impact of Typhoon Hagibis on this weekendís Rugby World Cup 2019 pool matches. This includes the decision to cancel matches on safety grounds.

Based on the latest detailed information from the tournamentís independent weather experts, Hagibis is predicted to be the biggest typhoon of the 2019 season and is highly likely to cause considerable disruption in the Tokyo, Yokohama and City of Toyota areas throughout Saturday, including likely public transport shutdown or disruption.

As a result, World Rugby and the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee have taken the difficult, but right decision to cancel matches in the affected areas on safety grounds. The impacted teams have been informed and are understanding. For matches that do not go ahead as scheduled, two points will be awarded to each team in line with tournament rules.

It is an exceptional, complex and rapidly evolving situation and team and public safety is the number one priority. This has been central in all decision-making in partnership with the tournamentís weather information experts, host cities, venues and teams.

Based on the latest detailed weather information, the following update is provided:

Friday, 11 October

Pool D match between Australia and Georgia in Shizuoka at 19:15 JST to be played as scheduled
Saturday, 12 October

Pool A match between Ireland and Samoa in Fukuoka at 19:45 JST to be played as scheduled
Pool B match between New Zealand and Italy to be cancelled
Pool C match between England and France to be cancelled

The decision to cancel matches has not been taken lightly and has been made in the best interests of public, team, tournament personnel and volunteer safety, based on expert advice and detailed weather information. While we have extensively explored all options, public and team safety was our utmost priority as well as ensuring a consistent, fair and equitable outcome for all teams. All fans with tickets for a cancelled match will receive a full refund for the face value of their match tickets.

Sunday, 13 October

Every effort is being made to ensure Sundayís matches will be played as scheduled. A thorough assessment of venues will take place after the typhoon has passed before a final decision is made on Sunday morning.
Based on the advice of government authorities and experts, World Rugby and the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee are advising fans in the Tokyo, Yokohama and City of Toyota areas to stay indoors on Saturday, not to travel and to keep monitoring the official Rugby World Cup 2019 digital and social channels, including the RWC 2019 Fan Information Twitter handle @Japan2019_ENG for regular updates.

New Zealand-Italy and England-France canceled, Japan-Scotland TBD Sunday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Flayer posted:

These cancellations make a mockery of the world cup. Of course NZ were going to hammer Italy but from a technical point of view this was a critical group deciding match. Might as well just hand the top 8 teams a place in the quarters and not have a group stage with this attitude.

They made rules, theyíre following them. If France-England had a place on the line itíd be unfortunate, too. Luckily itís a dead rubber.

The last thing anybody wants is to take a typhoon lightly. The typhoon in early September damaged a ton of homes and caused major issues at Narita Airport for a couple days; a typhoon smaller than this smacked Osaka last year and caused serious damage too.

Itís the World Cup but this stuff happens. Safety is more important than the risk to everyone involved.