Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Troy Queef posted:

(clears throat)

Bokke.

Not empty quoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vaders Jester posted:

I'm qualified for Scotland and Italy... FML

I'm qualified for Canada and South Africa but I am not as cool as DTH van der Merwe.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hoping Fiji gets a 30 point lead before they get too tired to keep playing after the 60th minute.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lol quick throw in. Australia playing like they have a collective concussion.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If Fiji could hang on to the ball they would have about 4 tries by now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Australia took a quick throw in from pretty much their own try line and buggered it up. That should tell you something.
I don't think Fiji are going to maintain this tempo though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well gently caress. I called it at 60 minutes when Fiji started collapsing and I was ten minutes off

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I miss watching a Fijian bulldoze some private school dickhead on the way to the try line.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Word of advice, don't do shots for every time Dad de Klerk does a box kick.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Australians employing the Butch James school of tackling.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

oh no computer posted:

If Japan top the group, the only way they wouldn't play SA would be if Italy beat NZ

So yeah they'd play SA.

Time for some revenge!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Furnaceface posted:

I remember when Canada used to be good at the rugby. :smith:

Two world cups ago they were actually fun to watch. That was mostly due to their beards though

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
With Major League Rugby in the States I'm hoping more Canadians team join up. For rugby to really built up we need a consistent league that brings the fans in, brings the money in for development, and grows the game.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In regards to disparity between sevens and test please also look at Fiji.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I usually go for the underdogs and I love a good Cinderella sports story as much as the next guy, but I am a Boks fan for life so that is where my loyalties lie.
Otherwise feeling like New Zealand is going to win due to 10 very good minutes of rugby and 70 minutes of mistakes, but will root for Ireland all the same. As for the England/Australia game I wish it would be possible for both teams to lose. Also I guess Wales is playing France so am expecting France to France it up good and either play like utter poo poo or utterly inspired.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lol classic typical France here.
This statement applies for however this game ends

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
France is just playing how they usually play against a number one in the world team in the world cup.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vaders Jester posted:

Good France have turned up. Hopefully bad France are just running a bit late.

They will come and go intermittently

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Which ever team has possession at the half way line is likely to score

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Drinking game for every time de Klerk does a box kick and your 17 shots in.
Seriously I was hoping someone would have broken his foot. I know it was strategy but the amount of times he box kicked it for no one to compete for kick was frustrating.
Still good solid if boring win. Sorry it had to come at the expense of Japan

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
gently caress. springboks going to be playing against two opponents

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Kolbe has been excellent but he hardly received any of the ball against Japan so I think the Boks can go on without him for now. That being said I hope he is fit for the next round and does receive more ball.
Also it looks like Faf was getting a bit raked through the coals on social media due to his box kicking every time he touched the ball. Looks like he is taking it in stride though, basically saying he understands why people were upset about it but that was their game plan and their game plan won them the game.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
New Zealand can't have Gracas and his All Black erection ref every one of their games, and I like the idea that the team that had two tries disallowed was the one getting the benefit from the ref.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well let's see if England come up with tactics against a team who has basically used the same tactic two games in a row. If they don't they deserve to lose.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Glad Kolbe is back but doubt he is going to see any ball in the game.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vagabundo posted:

So this will be the first time since the game's gone professional that all three SANZAR teams will be looking for new coaches at the end of their international season.

Steve Hansen had already flagged he would be stepping down at the end of the Rugby World Cup to take up a contract in Japan.
Michael Cheika resigned after Australia's limp defeat to England in the quarterfinals, and likely quit before he was dismissed.
Rassie Erasmus has now stated he will step aside at the end of the tournament.

Eddie Jones was the sole survivor of the 3 SANZAR coaches after the 2003 tournament.
Steve Hansen was one of the survivors after the 2007 tournament, as part of the All Blacks' Three Wise Men coaching panel with Sir Graham Henry and Wayne Smith.

Rassie is going to stay on as director of rugby operations or some such bullshit title. I don't know how much overseeing he will do with the new coach and game plans and such. Kind of hard to believe that he talk over the team just under 2 years ago thanks to AC's incompetency.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just finished watching the game with my mates and family. Thank you pvr. Had a very restless night trying not to wake up and check the score but glad I held off on it so I could watch it with others. My brother was mouthing off against the boks before the game but was cheering the loudest when the tries came in. It was great to see that the boks changed their plan to a more attacking structure instead of kicking and absorbing. They really through England off in the first half, and England's nerves were showing.
The first half was tense and I was making GBS threads bricks with England right at our try line but when they didn't score I figured the boks knew what they were doing.
Second half was legendary and that Kolbe try capped it off beautifully. Hats off to England for a good campaign though, and for giving it their all in the final. So proud of the boks though. Every player was fully committed to the game and it was amazing to see. To cap it off Kolisi's speech after the game have me major feels and a year in my eye. I took at the good scotch after the game and it never tasted better. Bokke!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Despite having an amazing tournament I had my criticisms of Faf de Villiers. Consider them all gone now. Anyone that meets royalty like this gets my respect.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dammit. De Klerk. I got de Villiers and de Villiers mixed up look a moron.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kitchner posted:

What I don't get about idiots like this, is how to they explain the fact say, the UK, has legalised gay marriage and is pro-LGBT+ rights and has a higher number of non-religious people per capita than most developed nations, and yet we receive no floods, fires, or any sort of natural disaster?

Maybe we live on an island that is constantly trying to kill us? No. No. It must be the gays fault.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I got the RWC 2019 final saved on PVR. Time to relieve the good times over and over and over again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just the previous World Cup we saw Cheslin Kolbe, a whopping 5 foot 7 and 70 kgs, make tackles like a lone cheetah trying to take down an elephant and no one screamed about player safety or how he shouldn't have been on the field.
There are a lot of athletes in all kinds of sports that have something natural that gives them an advantage and no-one screams that they shouldn't take part due to an unfair advantage, but it is strange how people seem to zone in on it when it comes to players who are trans or intersex.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redknob posted:

I'm quite drunk but did SA have 2 or 3 disallowed tries?

Two tries disallowed by TMO who SA was assured would cheat for them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Boks aerial game sucks so of course they are gonna kick the ball even more.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Every time I go from "what the gently caress you doing, Faf?!" To "you genius, Faf!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Can someone check to make sure Kolbe doesn't run himself in butter before the game.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This thread is mostly dead but I just wanna say BOKKE!

Thank you

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Books just seem slightly off their game. England is doing a good job throwing them off. I hope they stop doing that

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

camoseven posted:

The men's and women's Rugby World Cup will be held in the US of A in 2031 and 33 respectively. I mean.... ok?? Tickets will be outrageously expensive but maybe I'll go see a game in Chicago or whatever.

Sorta feels like when we hosted the Soccer World Cup in 1994. The idea was it would make a shitload of money and spur the popularity of soccer in the US. It definitely did the first thing!!! Jury's still out on the second one imo.

Long edit to add: To expand on the soccer thing: if you are a fan of soccer then it definitely feels like the popularity has exploded, since we have MLS, USL, tons of euro team fanclubs/bars, etc and you can find people to talk about it with online or whatever. But in the greater sports consciousness of the US it's still just a game that kids play on the weekends. One of my coworker's lives a 5 minute drive from his local MLS stadium, and had never heard of them OR heard of MLS. It's an incredibly narrow segment of the population that gives half a poo poo about pro soccer here.

Major League Rugby seems like MLS in the early days but somehow even more high off its own farts and poorly run. There are TWO teams owned by the same guy, BOTH named after idiotic cocktails he made up. The teams all play in lovely little stadiums, including a couple converted baseball diamonds and at least one high school. AND YET the team closest to me is trying to charge $50 for a decent ticket. Just insane.

I actually support the idea if they are looking to grow the game but wonder how the games were be spread out and between where. It makes sense if they keep it all on one coast and region specific to a 3 cities. I kind of wish Canada would get the WC as we can spread it all over the country in 4 cities (that count)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

harperdc posted:

so, Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland :haibrow:

Yes please.

I guess some games can be played at MLS stadiums and the big name games (All Blacks, England, I don't know....Fiji?) can be played at the football stadiums. Maybe get some the smaller teams like Australia to play in Shittown, Alabama.