Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Great OP mate, can't wait to see the USA dispense some rugby justice. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...as-born-players

Some notable facts:

Australia have more South Sea islanders playing for them than NZ do,

All of Wales' "overseas" players are from England.

C.J Stander is a perfectly good Irish name and ill fight anyone that says otherwise

Hadleigh Parks is English?

On a slightly more serious note. gently caress this "not born in" bollocks. I loving dare some oval office from Stuff to go tell John Barclay he's Chinese or that Hamish Watson(the man with the most Scottish name since Jock McTavish) who got poo poo at school for supporting Scotland all his life while living in England, that he's not Scottish. The only two residency players in that side are Sam Johnson and WP Nel.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

While it is bollocks to do a raw tally of 'not born in X country' lists, it is equally as bollocks to cherrypick the least objectional examples and pretend that's representative of the more absurd ones.

Cool, I'll break it down then. Scotland is not a particularly exciting country with a large player pool, so huge numbers of people leave to live in nicer countries with better job opportunities or pre-existing Scots communities like NZ which is why they have so many familial links. It's not like they're raiding the Pacific islands for players, almost all of these players have family links already baring the two players on residency.

Parent(s)
John Barclay - Hong Kong
Ben Toolis - Australia
Ali Price - England
Duncan Taylor - England though schooled in Scotland
Tommy Seymour - USA

Grandparent(s)
Allan Dell - South Africa
Simon Berghan - NZ
Hamish Watson - England
Blade Thomson - NZ
Chris Harris - England
Sean Maitland - Maitland specifically mentioned being raised around Scots culture while living in NZ when asked in an interview. - NZ

Residency
WP Nel - South Africa
Sam Johnson - Australia

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 19, 2019

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Raffles posted:

I feel like you could be born on the moon and still qualify for Scotland if you're named Hamish.

Considering his weird centre of gravity and ability to hand off literally anyone, he's probably an alien anyway.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Huw Jones, most Welsh name ever. Born in and plays for Scotland. :confused:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Because The Last Samurai wasn't white saviour enough.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

All non Maori New Zealanders should be made to play for Scotland imo

I'm qualified for Scotland and Italy... FML

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Madkal posted:

I'm qualified for Canada and South Africa but I am not as cool as DTH van der Merwe.

This is a sad fact of life for many people.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

BOD, Wilkinson, and Warburton on ITV. This might be the nicest pundit team ever.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Snitches get stitches, Howley .

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Japan not woken up yet

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Welp

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Messy but this might actually be a fun game.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The Japanese kit is still top tier though.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Looks like he lost control just before grounding. Tough call because the ball never lost contact with his hand.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Mrenda posted:

The Russians are just shagged. Heads dropped, and not from the opposition dominating but the pace of the game. Ireland and Scotland should be getting 70+ points on them, and be heading to fifty against Japan if they play as loose as this.

Inb4 Scotland got FULL SCOTLAND

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

White has smuggled a rare caterpillar onto the pitch on his face.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yaaaaas!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scary to see what Fiji are capable of when they have real time to train together.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Thoughts and prayers for Hodge's brain.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Madkal posted:

Australia took a quick throw in from pretty much their own try line and buggered it up. That should tell you something.
I don't think Fiji are going to maintain this tempo though.

When Matawalu comes on, it'll get even more mental

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Argentina v France is the ultimate test of who can France it up hardest.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

I think Fiji win that if Yato and Mata stay on the pitch. Hope Hodge gets cited

What happened to Big Bill?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

That might be the most French try in the last decade.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Du Pont and Penaud are linking well.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Poirot absolutely did his opponent, Gardner let's it play on. :confused:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

I’m thinking forcing all your national players into one club team might actually be bad

Just watching Jaguares getting pumped by super rugby sides certainly makes video analysis on Argentina much easier.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Should be able to watch it again on ITV at some point.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Offside seems to be enforced if it directly interferes with play or is just really blatant, if not, players tend to be able to steal a metre or two as long as they're away from the ruck and get away with it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Slumfrog posted:

NZ v SA kickoff is about an hour and a bit still yeah? Time to make some burgs, grab a drink before the main event. Have managed to somehow miss every Boks game so far this year so been looking forward to this bigly.

Sorry to all if I have been posting too much. I live in a rugby desert, so I am taking the chance to gorge on the stuff this World Cup.

Kicks off in 5 minutes.

But no worries about asking questions, everyone here is pretty good at answering anything you might want to know.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

If SA want to win this, they need to stop playing at a million MPH and slow things down to their pace.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, honestly. Hoping to play the ABs in the QF. That Bok pack will just kick the living poo poo out of Scotland, at least the ABs play a more expansive game that suits Scotland's play a bit better. Can't see Scotland winning against either side but at least against the ABs it'll be an interesting game of rugby.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Slumfrog posted:

What's this "home nations" business? Said as one of the whitest people on earth.

Basically the 4 oldest unions from the UK and Ireland because it's where union comes from.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 21, 2019

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

goatface posted:

Easier to say when talking about them in the British media. They're all "home" teams for the national press and tv.

Bold to think the media consider Scotland at all.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Only if they need to throw people that believe the dinosaurs are a hoax a billion quid for some votes.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Slumfrog posted:

Don't understand why Scotland got the penalty there. Looked like Ireland should have got the turnover.

Two Irish players not rolling away and slowing the clear out.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

It's OK, Ireland are off the pace, need to score 16 more points to stop the second half 38 point Scotland resurgence...

FML

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Just once I'd like to see Scotland get hammered by a team that's on fire instead of just being monumentally shite and rolling over for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

What mentalists talk Scotland up? Even our chief journalist, Tom English, thinks we're awful.