Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

therattle posted:

It pains me to admit it but I do agree with you. The TMO ignored the guidelines and that’s a problem.

At the end of the day they are just guidelines and referees have leeway in there. In this case it was such an obvious and egregious knock on that it feels right to check it. I think there were 3 phases from the knock on to the try so it's not outrageous. I've not checked but as I remember it Barnes doesn't call for a formal review for the try, it's a Live refferal. But like I say I didn't check.

It's not like people still complain about missed forward passes 16 years after the fact or anything.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

So, ignoring the fuckwits above, going to go back and address this

It's spelled out pretty explicitly.

Even if the TMO were starting a check, it comes down to:
1. Barnes saying that there was no knock-on
2. The knock-on happening five phases out from the possible try.

At this stage, the TMO has poo poo to say about gently caress in the matter, basically.

So, I'm going to put this in bold, for the thickos in the audience here, who seem to be unable to grasp this concept:
Which team had a try wiped out doesn't really matter here. What matters is that the TMO decided to completely ignore the rules that governs his role to interfere in a match.

We just insulting each other under the guise of discussion now? Cool cool

What you need to get into your stupid loving head is that those are guidelines for the Team of 4 not rules of the game. The Team of 4 can do whatever the gently caress they like on the pitch and there's no recourse of tragically maladjusted kiwi dipshits like yourself. Barnes could have choosen not to listen to the TMO, in fact he did and awarded a penalty.

Any of the Team of four can make live calls, and the match referee has ultimate responsibility to accept them or not although they do try to reach agreement on them. The TMO was within his rights to raise the issue and the Team of 4 has to decide if f they accept that or not and in this case they did.

Hopefully I've translated that into a language you understand.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The TMO guidelines are not rules because rules can be enforced. These are what they would like the Team of 4 to do. Things which cannot be enforced are not rules/laws of the game.

The refs first obligation is to play to the spirt of the game, whatever that means. In this case that knockon was seen by everyone except Wanye Barnes, people not even watching the game saw it. Webb Ellis himself shuddered in his grave when it wasn't called. That being the case allowing the try to stand would have been an insane decision and that is why the refereeing team has the discretion that they do.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

GooseLoon posted:

poo poo yeah sorry I forgot bitching about Wayne Barnes by NZ fans now means that nobody can point out that rugby is becoming slower and slower and the increased use of the TMO is helping to drive that

You don't have to have that long a memory, just to the quarter finals which were absolute classics. The final wasn't even that slow, the main complaint seems to be there wasn't even more TMO involvement.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

It's absolutely miserable in Cardiff, both inside and outside the stadium it seems

What a first half performance.

Best part was when they kicked to Finn who caught it standing still and just stood there for a bit because there was no chase.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Some really soft penalties getting given there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Time to find out about Ben OKeefes betting patterns.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

I thought the refs were entitled to do whatever the gently caress they wanted. Your words, mate.

They can, the question is if they should.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

Could be as something as simple as Costelow fits into the style Gatland has envisioned for Wales better than Lloyd does. It’s not always about picking the players because “they’re the best” at that moment, but rather, it’s about selecting players who’s attributes gel best with the rest of the team.

That's the problem they have though, Gatland is picking players for his style not working out what style fits the players he has available.

I mean Townsend did exactly that and is the most successful Scottish coach to date, but it took a while to work.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fucks sake Scotland

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 10, 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

They showed the ball touching the ground.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The ref was about to reverse his on field decision on the basis he'd just seen a video of the ball touching the ground and the TMO just decided to be unsure again.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fire Tounie!.... So he can be made king of Scotland.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

Yeah the year when loving Townsend doesn't exist and the SRU aren't cunts.

Never then.

Townsend has delivered back to back Calcutta Cup. He's good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

A genuinely good game between England and Ireland there, what is this opposite day?

England winning just proves it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

Townsend is poo poo. We should have won a six nations ages ago. He has an excellent squad who won games in spite of him, not because of him.

This year has highlighted how much Townsend ball is a disaster. He's won things because the conditions have been in place to make it seem like he made a difference. All the way back to Lineen at Glasgow. He didn't win Glasgow the title, Lineen won it and he took the spoils.

EDIT: I'm sorry I just don't agree with Townsend being good. Winning the Calcutta cup papers over the cracks that every year Scotland fucks up in some form or another - gently caress ups that should be managed out. This year feels like the first half we play Finn Russell ball and the second half we play Townsend ball.

We poo poo the bed this time, which I'll defend Townsend and say is up to the players. He should have led this team to a six nations win. He hasn't and can't. It's time to move on and find someone who can before we move into rebuilding years.

This feels more like pulling reasons out to post justify your opinions. Townsend has a better W/L ratio than any other coach in Scottish rugby history. Not even the great Ian McGeechan has a better record.

But to you this is despite Townsend, but there's no real way to prove this other than your 'feels' on how many back to back slams you think we should have had.

The one thing we do know is the player base you rate so highly and the play style Scotland has adopted over the last 7 years are down to Townsend. As so many Scotland fans bemoaned at the time.

You're right we should have been contenders this year but point out failings in the tactics in the games. Like what did we do wrong against France and Italy. Italy we just completely poo poo the bed the second half, probably didn't use our bench early enough which is on Townsend. Against France we were in control but just didn't execute well enough, tactically I think we were good though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think we will have to agree to disagree here because I think our disagreement comes from our basic premises.

The disagreement between Finn and Townsend is an interesting one because you see in the Netflix documentary about Finn doing what he likes, when he just kept kicking the ball away against England much to Townsends frustration. At the time everyone blamed Townsend for poor tactical choice of a kicking game. But that wasn't the game plan. I think that's one of the biggest criticisms you can level at him, his ability to manage those player relationships.

But squad selection and game day tactics are all pretty strong and have delivered results. Maybe Gregory has taken the team as far as he can. But you cannot deny that the Scotland now is a far stronger team than it was back in 2017. Gregor has been a great coach for Scotland, which is borne out by his record.

Communist Bear posted:

The play style that Scotland has adopted is the play style Glasgow had, which preceded Townsend. Its a fast attacking rugby. Townsend didn't develop it, if anything he impeded it on occasion.

You're exactly right, Scotland did adopt the playstyle of the Glasgow team, it was pretty contraversial at the time. That Galsgow team coached by.... checking my notes here..... Gregor Townsend.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

The playstyle coached and developed by Sean Lineen. Townsend had nothing to do with it. It existed well before he came in.

Oh sorry I thought you knew something about Scottish rugby for a minute there and weren't some sort of Lineen Truther. My bad.

That's just not what happened at all. Feel free to go check the Glasgow squad that won the Pro12 and see who brought them in and trained them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Imagine this being your last game for your country

Hey, it's a historic game

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

They're not playing that badly just now. Just scotlanding things a bit

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That's the third time he's given a knock on for a handling error when the ball goes backwards. I mean he's being even with it but come on lets open the game up a bit

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So hard to get out the hole against Ireland. Good defence so far

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Stop Scotlanding!!!!

Other countries try, but no one can Scotland like Scotland can.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's on!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's off again

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

That went backwards, fucksake.

He's done that all afternoon, any kind of tip is a knock on even if it goes backwards.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The French forwards are up for this at least

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Simple things executed perfectly.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wait that wasn't a knock on?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

England have produced 2 back to back good games, not just good performances but genuinely good games. It's a world gone mad.

For Scotland I'm not sure exactly how we move forwards. Just a lot of frustrating errors, over throwing a lineout is such a core skill, do we simply not have the skills across the board. The team feels confident and playing tactically a good game. Against Italy we just imploded after the disallowed try just couldn't get into the game after it. Against Ireland a broadly good performance strewn with basic errors. With France we were in the driving seat and even without the disallowed try we should have won that one.

Maybe a change in coach would help but I'm not sure who and what practical thing they could do to improve Scotland.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The main change I've seen that folk were moaning about was the removing the option for a scrum from a free kick. Just now if your scrum is dominant you can opt for a scrum, milk a penalty and so on.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Calling a mark awards you a free kick so stopping you calling a scrum for it might be really important if you're also allowing marks outside the 22

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

They tried to do this but I think they need to enforce it, if you have a dominant scrum, balls at the back and it goes down the use it don't just keep grinding until you get the penalty. You already got the shove and on the front foot, that's plenty of advantage to use. The Scrum - > penalty - > lineout - > maul - > try pipeline is just boring at this stage. Make people earn the yards. There's plenty for forwards to do on the pitch, you dont need to focus so much on the scrum.

Oh and make them drive straight in the scrum. All of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

therattle posted:

That’s fair enough.

Re-the lineout, maul-try- pipeline, I was going to write some thoughts, having watched most of the six Nations (but in the end didn’t think my thoughts were going to be that insightful or interesting), but one thing I did think was that mauls weren’t as dominant as in the past; teams seem to be figuring out some form of maul defence .

For me I think there might be something we can do with that pattern that is so common in games now where a team gets within 5ms and just hit it up endlessly until they get a penalty then crossfield kick. If that fails then into the corner for a maul and start again. The maul defence is getting better but it just becomes part of this cycle.

It can be tense and exciting. But mostly the score is somewhat inevitable and it just drains the clock. No one is taking a risks until they've got that offside penalty.

I'm not sure exactly how to fix this but maybe a little League style thing like limited phases inside the 5m to encourage trying to play it rather than just grind it. Fail to convert then a goal line drop out or free kick or something.