Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

USA USA USA

Unable to
Score
Anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mrenda posted:

SUCK IT! ENGLAND!

U-S-A! U-S-A!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?s=20

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

More like

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

runoverbobby posted:

That's the rest of his tournament, then? The focus on high tackles is good but missing the entire tournament is quite a punishment for a foul not involving malice.

If it wasn't malicious then it was so incompetent that he should not be allowed on the pitch.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bigfoot again posted:

In more serious news, World Rugby have shut Squidge down because of copyright because they are arse morons

Eh? World Rugby are mentioning him on twitter about his good coverage?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Japan are starting pretty brightly here.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ireland need to stop hitting that high ball, it's 50/50 and they need to keep possession and pull the Japanese defence around a bit, side to side.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Japan are doing this.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ireland has been entirely one dimensional in attack, just not breaking down the Japanese line at all. 2 tries from kicks but failed to build anything.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lol at Carrberry just 'gently caress this' and putting it out.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Australia look dangerous when they have the ball with Koribeti etc but Wales have been dominant in terms of possession.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

Japanese coverage just popped up the fun stat that it's 29 degrees and 63% humidity at the ground right now. I'm wondering if the Scottish players think they're playing in a sauna.

also there's another typhoon set to roll through this weekend, the reporting so far is suggesting the France-USA game in Fukuoka is most likely to be impacted.

Yeah it looks really slippy and slidy out there. Difficult conditions.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Laidlaw did not expect to score that there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hogg has an absolute cannon in his leg.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think Jamie Ritchie has had a great game so far.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Impressed that Scotland have not Scotlanded this

The Ref is trying to give Samoa a boost so there's time yet.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

Just read this article about prevalent racism vs. pacific islanders in Rugby Union and uuhh I guess that's what it is talking about?
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opini...rugby-world-cup

What the gently caress are you talking about? That is one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. Charles Piutau plays for the All Blacks, that's why he can't play for Tonga, that article seems to imply this is some devilish scheme by white guys to keep the Tongan team down. Israel Folau is not ostracised because of white-mans rules but because he's not fit to step on the field of a game that claims to be inclusive.

That article is in the opinion section, but it's the opinion of an incredibly stupid man. Poite is so racist that he decided not to send off a Samoan as that would have revealed his devilish racism?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bigfoot again posted:

The article is bad but English commentators do loove talking about Physicality and Ill-Discipline whenever a Pacific team is playing.

Ill discipline is usually down to coaching and the amount of time players have to play together in their national framework, and that's down to money. Charles Piutau doesn't suddenly become white when he pulls on an All Blacks top. The money issue is a huge issue though, which affects the pacific islanders, but also Georgia, Namibia, Japan, all of the tier 2 nations. They get less playing time which directly correlates to the penalty count in the game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

With the worry about head contact is it likely this type of handing off (currently legal I believe) will become illegal?

So this is covered but basically at the refs discretion, rules 9.24

quote:

A ball-carrier is permitted to hand off an opponent provided excessive force is not used.

commonly this is interpreted as don't punch your opponent, you can push them away but you can't slap or punch them.

The first hand off he does there might contravene 9.2 Dangerous Play and Misconduct though as his hand makes contact with the tackling players eyes.

quote:

A player must not physically or verbally abuse anyone. Physical abuse includes, but is not limited to, biting, punching, contact with the eye or eye area, striking with any part of the arm (including stiff-arm tackles), shoulder, head or knee(s), stamping, trampling, tripping or kicking.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bigfoot again posted:

I liked it when Tim Nanai-Williams tried to tackle wee Gregg Laidlaw but actually smashed him over the try line from about fifteen yards out. He looked so surprised

That's only the 5th Try Laidlaw has scored for Scotland, 75 caps , 710 points but just 5 tries. It's a remarkable record really.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ramos is having an absolute shocker today.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

That run then that pass

This is a superposition of both Frances

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The wave form has collapsed into BadFrance luckily for them the USA are also bad.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

Oh, they suddenly remembered how to rugby.

What even was that after the previous 20 minutes?

Fickou is France's best player just now.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

A moment of silence please for our Canadian brothers who are about to die.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedimastafez posted:

It looks super hot and humid like uncomfortable sweaty balls hot down there

Fitting as Canada are about to enter the Rugby equivalent of hell for 80 minutes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

Generous call from Poite there. Looked like he'd lost that ball before the line.

I think penalty try was a reasonable call there really. I mean NZ didn't need to do that but it was fine really.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Barrett could've eaten a card for that...

Yeah he got a bit lucky there I think.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

How long have these chip kicks as American football-style end zone fade routes been a thing?

also I double checked, 24 degrees C and 90+% humidity in Oita tonight for this game

I want to say the first cross field kick try was maybe 10-15 years ago. Assuming that's what you mean, I understood nothing after the word kick.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

I don’t get it.

Etzebeth did a racism so might get sent home from the world cup.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Semi Radradra just destroyed Georgia today.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

Ireland doing well.

Feels unconvincing. Russia are very bad.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is not a bad period for Italy here, other than getting their props exploded.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

Uncontested scrums for the rest of the game going to help Italy here.

South Africa's absolutely brutal tackling is not.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That is not the best way to take advantage of a penalty advantage there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

Dumbest "tackle" of the tournament this far?

Its one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on a rugby pitch. Both guys should have been sent off.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I love to rag on Wayne Barnes but I think he's been pretty good today.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I was talking about the failed intercept. That's supposed to be an instant card.

Nah you have to have no realistic chance of catching it and only a yellow if it prevents a score. The usual standard is if you only touch the ball with 1 hand it's a penalty.

The yellow card is for the more generic foul play preventing a score.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 6, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

That try was Tongariffic!

Well taken, France have really dropped off a bit here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

Harsh call against Tonga, that ball was out and the scrum half had his hands on it.

I'm not sure Looise can complain too much about a harsh call.