Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Rugby :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

:ussr:

full back would probably have wanted to catch that.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

nice offload

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Have Japan actually done anything since Eddie Jones left?

won the pacific nation cup this and drew with france in paris a couple years ago.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

FIJI!

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Madkal posted:

Dad de Klerk

:hai:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

remember when australia won the world cup and usa were the only team to score a try against them.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

No matches today?! This is bullshit.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Should get extra points for a drop goal that good.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Could have got good odds on penalty try being Scotland's top scorer .

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Shouldn't that be a penalty try?

E ~ oh well no matter they got an actual try instea

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 5, 2019

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

CyberPingu posted:

So when did all the South Sea Island rugby teams fall off a loving cliff?

Also go Japan, its awesome to see one of the "fringe" sides do well

When all their players decided to play French club rugby instead of internationals.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

misread that as typhoon haggis and took it as an omen.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

What's the record score at a RWC, still NZ versus Japan by 150 odd? Could be beaten today.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Raffles posted:

I know it's always the way but it's frustrating that there are only 2 pool matches left that mean anything. I really hope they don't add more teams any time soon.

If they added more teams it would likely mean shift (back) to four team groups, so there would be fewer dead rubbers. And would also get rid of the ridiculous asymmetric turnarounds some teams face.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Typical I get to the pub just as Wales start to pull away.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I hope Scotland wim by however many points we need to wim by

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

I missed this thread getting started, which is a shame because I used to post here all the time.

So glad I both a) got up to watch Japan-Scotland and b) did not bother getting up to watch USA-Tonga

How is our Sevens team apparently a now-perennial contender for best in the world while our Test team can go back-to-back winless at the RWC?

We keep saying we're a "sleeping giant" but I think it's actually a coma, JFC.

Anyway, go Japan I guess.

Sevens and fifteens aren't really that similar and require quite different skillsets for the most part.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Pail Ale posted:

Owens is a good ref

No

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Without a good sexton Ireland are poo poo and sexton is a useless geriatric poo poo.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Owens is usually wrong, correct.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Pail Ale posted:

Owens is a good ref... (I'll keep saying it)

No!

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ireland poo poo;

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Wayne Barnes is a good referee.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

New Zealand will want to actually try playing rugby in the second half imho.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Why is the headline on planet rugby 'Dexterous All Blacks too Good for Resilient England' that seems a bit premature!?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lol at England disallowed tries .

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Flayer posted:

England would be home and dry now if the tmo wasn't such a loving prick

Waiting for the NZ comeback to kick in any time now

Maybe try scoring tries without cheating?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lmfao England

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

Maybe punching someone in the face is a bad idea.

Depends who the person is really.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Flayer posted:

Its a massive upset in the context of Union history. In terms of current squads and performance on the day England are absolutely the better team and its no surprise they won with that performance.

Its like Belgium knocking Brazil out of the football world cup last year. An upset despite the fact that Belgium had the better team at the time.

it's a slight upset because new zealand were like 60-40 favourites but it is by no stretch of the imagination a "massive upset".

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vagabundo posted:

HOW THE gently caress AM I MEANT TO BE UNBEARABLY SMUG IN THIS THREAD FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS?

become english

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

stavros880 posted:

Obviously England were inspired by my heartfelt support over the last few weeks, and pushed themselves to victory.
In all seriousness, it was a comprehensive win, if anything the scoreboard flattered the all Black's. They were second best in every part of the game.

They were proper poo poo like.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Flayer posted:

Wales should start going for drop goals whenever they get territory, this SA defense is dominating phase play.

The Jannie de Beer tactic.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Some rugby has occured. Pretty ropey tackling though.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Faf is a dreamboat!

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

zmcnulty posted:

Uhh so I don't know anything about rugby. But apparently it's codified into the international rules that some teams get to dance, and others don't? Simply because they have been doing it for a long time and therefore it's tradition? And the non-dancing team can't just ignore it and warm up or whatever, they literally have to stand there and watch? Is that accurate? Is there some kind of process to introduce new dances for teams that want to make their own traditions? What happens if two dancing teams face one another, do they do a dance-off, take turns, or flip a coin for dancing privilege?

Pretty much yes. It's just a tradition that goes back over a century to when a touring NZ team with Maori players decided to do it. The other pacific island teams do as well.

Teams used to occasionally ignore them (Aussie legend David Campese famously did it in the RWC semi final) but the authorities have decided to crack down on that sort of thing more recently.

When the island teams play each other they both dance.

I don't think there would be any process for other teams to get the privilege - and there is no real clamour to do so anyway. So I don't think we'll see Scotland doing the gay gordans or whatever any time soon.

There other traditional quirks with the pre-match rituals - like Ireland getting to sing two anthems. Just the ways things are.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The southern kings aren't very good at rugby imho.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I hope England lose and it's caused directly by inexplicable scrum penalties in the true French fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

rip sinkler