Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

bessantj posted:

Probably shorter when its against Samoa.

Just read this article about prevalent racism vs. pacific islanders in Rugby Union and uuhh I guess that's what it is talking about?
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/116141388/mark-reason-pacific-islands-still-shackled-by-white-man-rules-at-rugby-world-cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I am getting worried about Japan's chances. I realised that if they lose against Scotland and Scotland gets a BP, Japan might again miss out on the quarter finals despite winning three out of four matches. And before that they still need to win vs. Samoa this weekend which is doable but might not be that easy.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Vaders Jester posted:

Scotland will either get completely pumped by Japan or will remember they're the team that spent 80 minutes in 2018 and the second half of 2019 6 Nations styling on England and stick 50 points on them.

It's an absolute mess and it gives me the fear.

I think one advantage on Japan's side over the last world cup is that they have a longer resting period before that final game. Scotland on the other hand only has four days though they're 'only' playing Russia.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup-2019/typhoon-hagibis-threatens-to-derail-irelands-world-cup-hopes-38568957.html
So if the Ireland Vs Samoa match was cancelled it would be counted as a draw and potentially allow both Scotland and Japan to qualify for the quarter final ahead of Ireland.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Flayer posted:

Scotland will qualify if they beat Japan regardless of the Ireland result with the exception that Japan lose and pick up both bonus points so if the match is cancelled the real beneficiaries would be Japan who would then be guaranteed progress.
That's not true, is it? Assuming a comfortable win with bp against Russia, Scotland will be four points behind Japan ahead of their match, so in order to go ahead they

a) need to win and make sure Japan doesn't get a bonus point or

b) they need to win and get as least as many bonus points as Japan

If Scotland doesn't put 20+ points on Russia, then they additionally would need to win sufficiently high against Japan to get past them.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I just looked it up:

quote:

The winner of the Match in which the two tied Teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked.
The Team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
The Team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
The Team which has scored most points in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
The Team which has scored most tries in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the rankings as per the updated. Official World Rugby World Rankings on October 14, 2019 will determine the higher ranked Team.
so the points differential is largely irrelevant, if Scotland beats Japan it depends on whether Japan gets one bonus point more than Scotland or not. So that BP against Samoa can indeed be very crucial. And Ireland is through with a BP win against Samoa.
The points difference is only important if all three teams end up at 15 pts.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
France realised their world cup campaign was going too well so far: https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/r...xing-of-captain

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
lol good start there for Wales.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Vaders Jester posted:

Playing for third place automatic qualification in 2023.

If we assume that Wales and Australia win their final fixtures, Fiji already has the third place guaranteed

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Aramoro posted:

If only they could have predicted this.....this typhoon season.

yes let's just play all the world cups in England from now on, so we won't have to deal with bad weather.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Tyma posted:

I think we're losing sight of the more important issue :

New Zealand drawing 0-0 with Italy (World Ranking 11) means that Wales are going to be the Best Team In The World again for a week. :neckbeard:

Wth? Do those cancelled games really go into the IRB rankings? And I thought draws are not influencing points anyway

Or does the win vs Fiji give Wales enough of a boost to make it to #1 on their own?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
If Japan wins then we will have a Ireland-NZ cracker of a match and a repeat of 2015 Japan vs. South Africa, it's really the best you can ask for out of those two pools.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
maybe it's time to drop Italy from the 6N and replace them with Georgia

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Hmm yeah the boring career of playing international club rugby in Europe compared to the excitement of dropping out of the WC with 0 points as USA

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
There's a :files: place that has recordings of each match up a couple of hours after the final whistle usually. The hardest part is avoiding any spoilers until then. (drat you, Google Discovery)

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Wtf just happened

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I have no beef in this, neither Welsh nor French but I also thought that picture was extremely unprofessional and complaining about it is justified.
I am sure some Welsh fans would have been just as pissed off if Rolland was featured in a picture tip tackling a French fan after the 2011 match.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Kitchner posted:

What I don't get about idiots like this, is how to they explain the fact say, the UK, has legalised gay marriage and is pro-LGBT+ rights and has a higher number of non-religious people per capita than most developed nations, and yet we receive no floods, fires, or any sort of natural disaster?

Well, you got Boris Johnson.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
This article seems to be of a different opinion:
https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/shades-of-gray-sex-gender-and-fairness-in-sport/

As bessantj said, Jonah Lomu had a bigger advantage over his fellow players than probably any transwoman will have, so why did we not talk about banning him from Rugby?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
https://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/article/3095741/israel-folau-courts-more-controversy-standing-teammates-kneel-black

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, Israel Folau continues being an rear end in a top hat even after switching codes

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

I know outrage is the default setting for anything trans but why do people think there is a separate category for women in the first place if not for protective and competitive reasons?

Why create a separate category for women and exclude some women from it?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

Because at the time you set up the category (for safety and competitive reasons to allow women to play) you didn't anticipate people from outside that category would or could enter it.

Nobody from outside that category is entering it though.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

Once again I note everyone who disagrees with me has refused to engage with the fundamental question in this whole issue - What is the reason we have a separate category for women's sport if it is not to separate female bodied people from male bodied people for safety and competitive reasons?

Ok to engage with you here:
It's not for safety reasons as evidenced by the many sports where this separation exists but there are no safety concerns, e.g. running or tennis. So we can focus on the competitive reasons.
Sports are separated into men's and women's competition, not female bodied and male bodied. Example: the WNBA is the "women's national Basketball League", not the "Female bodied national Basketball League"
Therefore letting all women compete in women's competition does not violate the underlying idea of letting women compete without having to go against men.

Finally, every top athlete (whether man or woman) has some sort of medical or biological precondition that gives them an advantage over the average person. Why would you single out one specific and very rare condition out of all those, and make that one unacceptable, for any other reason than transphobia?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

oh no computer posted:

This is what I'm after a source for. Thanks.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/shades-of-gray-sex-gender-and-fairness-in-sport/
here is a long article that includes some sources showing that the advantage diminishes very quickly, within one year of testosterone deprivation transwomen are on a similar strength level as cis women.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

I am still confused. If the balance on their bench between forwards and backs was different might have this been avoided?

Yeah but nobody brings three hookers to a game

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

Lol no.

Aussie won’t win in Eden Park.

Saving this post for later

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

I'm certain Canada for example would put on a better performance than Portugal.

Lol

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

goatface posted:

That scrum is looking shoddy as gently caress.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

HappyCamperGL posted:

england could be the only undefeated team in the semis.

they will, however, be defeated in the semis

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

goatface posted:

Oh, it might be one of those games

Might be...

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

goatface posted:

The rare mark scrum.

They've been studying the rulebook this week.

Didn't even know that's possible

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

World Rugby have to delay the draw for the groups next time

Would France - SA have been better if it had happened in the semifinals? I don't think so.
Quarter or semi or final.. the stakes are always the same, winner takes all. And you never know for sure who is going to show up at the tournament, or on a particular day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

GooseLoon posted:

Or, you know, we remember a time in recent memory when rugby was played at a decent pace without endless TMO interruptions/water breaks AND still had good scrum/lineout contests!
Yes I remember those times, when the kiwi fans also definitely did not endlessly complain about forward passes missed by Barnes!