Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Wales looking good in attack and they've had a few lucky assists from the ref in defence.
Australia has at least a couple of tries in them I think so it's a lot closer than the score suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
One of the things which is interesting to do is to compare the current "confusion" around hits to the head with the same happening around tip tackles in the 2011 World Cup. Wales were caught out when Warburton was sent off but the result of the change in laws is that tip tackles are almost non-existent in the game now. This is an unalloyed good and if the same happens to contact with the head then even having England benefit in this match will have been worth it for the game. Just.

tarbrush posted:

Ironic that two people have been sent off for bad tackles on Owen Farrell

Also, this.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

I only saw Michael Jones when he was old and broken, but from what I've heard would current Ardie Savea be a good comparison to him in his prime (era adjusted)?

bigfoot again posted:

I think Ardie’s more of a ball carrier but Jones was unbelievably good at the general loose forward studd

The thing about Michael Jones is that he seemed like he was already era adjusted.
He never seemed flashy when I saw him play but just played at a level *better than everyone else in rugby*.

If you brought him forward in time to today he'd be like Warburton or Pocock or McCaw and just as good as them.

In the 90s it seemed like he'd been sent from the future.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Is there a TMO?
A head-high tackle and jumper taken out in the air already by SA and nothing

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
The best least poo poo team won.

Wales seemed to peak about 6 months too early, they've been in decline since about halfway through the Six Nations. Winning may be a habit, but so is not playing very well it appears.
Still, as someone who lived through the 80s and 90s horror, Gatland has turned Wales into a top team and I hope he's proud.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Before Gatland Wales would have been over the moon to have scored a couple of tries against NZ and got to a semi-final.
They played loving shithouse for all but one half against AU and 4th is more than what they deserved.

I'm sad for AWJ, but he had more success than any of the great Welsh players of the last 30 years thanks to Gatland. Jiffy, Bateman, Stuart Evans and the like were world-class players who spent their careers losing to Tier 2 nations before having to go to league to earn some cash.

Plus, Robert Howley's favorite attack coach is gone so that's the future looking brighter at least.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

stavros880 posted:

Yet again another game where North disappeared. Hope Adams is fit for the next game.

That's not true, he hosed up a couple of tackles and knocked on.
Still had a better game than Tompkins.

Overall the worst Wales performance for a very long time.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

goatface posted:

Uh... Have Wales won?

France could win with 2 bonus point victories.
France are not as unfit as they used to be but they're still vulnerable at the end of games.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Watson is an absolute monster.

There's a ton of good flankers in the game at the moment but I think he's nailed on for the lions.
When he's good he's head and shoulders above the rest.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Poor Jaco, thought he looked decent in the ANC but how can you not be excited for Hogg at 10 as a neutral?

Ireland have made some changes but everyone still seems to think England will walk it, I'd just love to see us score a couple of nice tries and not get bullied in this fixture for a change.

The English press always think England will walk it.
One tight win over the Covid XV and suddenly they're world beaters again? Ireland will hammer them I think.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Through all the chaos and uncertainty one thing remains constant.
Liam Williams is the dumbest motherfucker who ever walked the earth.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

To be honest, I think I'd almost prefer France to give Scotland a pounding than Scotland win emphatically and then look at the Wales and Ireland games with even more "what if" feelings.

Imagine how France must feel abut the England game.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
No Sexton is a weird choice.
Even as someone who hates the sulky twat he's much better than the three who've been selected.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
A lot of "unlucky" players but I don't think there's any selection which isn't justifiable.
Van Der Merwe or Curry are probably the most contentious decisions and you can see an argument for why at least.

Easily the best Lions squad since the 70s meant it was always going to be a pretty uncontroversial selection whoever he picked.

DickEmery fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 21, 2021

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

bessantj posted:

Gatland putting a lot of faith in Wyn Jones.

I think it's more lack of faith in Sutherland and Vunipola

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Wil Greenwood is such a prick.
He's just tried to tell Sam Warburton how to play flanker and Nigel Owens how to ref.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

fallingdownjoe posted:

Feels like the Lions have lost their heads a bit - hopefully they can use the break to gather themselves.

Yeah, they're playing pretty poorly.
At least they've got a lot of room to improve.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

Forward pass I think.

Definitely forward.
Jonker still hosed it up though, he was onside.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Itoje was loving immense.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Fell on his back? Bollocks.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I wonder if they feel respected now the reffing is looking bent as gently caress.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
The Springboks are dirty, cheating bastards. But gently caress me, they're fantastic dirty, cheating bastards.

They bullied the lions into being poo poo and you have to admire it.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

How ballsy will Gatland be? You could make a case for another 2-3 changes at least but I could as easily see Gats stick with what he's put out in the first two.

Replacement front row, both starting half backs and the back three from today could all be re-jigged.

He's not really been known for shying away from a controversial selection.
The lack of games between the tests may constrain things though.
I can see him making 6 or 7 changes.

Back three, AWJ to bench and Watson/Faletau starting.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Good to see Wales' best player (Red Card) hitting some form.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I'm more inclined to give him the World Cup and then transition to new management after that. Under delivery on potential is Scotlands thing but he has delivered some results. I mean we're not Wales.

At least after the world cup there might be some good folk around looking for a challenge.

Yeah, Wales have won the Six Nations.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I wonder if Rassie Erasmus will make a video about that ref performance.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I'm just glad Wales got out of the group.
They've been poor for two years apart from a couple of group games

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Raynals lol

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

DickEmery posted:

Raynals lol

That was genuinely shocking and I've been watching England get dodgy decisions for decades.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Okay but why do they need to be involved in play? Look at how poo poo slow American Football is. The more the TMO is involved, the slower play will get, and that sucks.

Funnily enough there's currently a clamour for more replays in American Football because of some terrible officiating this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Amazing hospital pass there. Rip that man's kidneys

LLoyd is England's best player at he moment