Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Here's another list of overseas-born players, but also includes a few more details e.g. how the players qualify.
http://www.americasrugbynews.com/20...rs-at-rwc-2019/

In the last thread I posted the "overseas" players in the Welsh team (now updated for the current squad):
Welsh parent(s) and grew up in Wales
Ross Moriarty - born England, moved to Wales age 2 (I think), Father welsh (and former Wales international)
Jonathan Davies - born England, moved as a child, both parents Welsh
George North - born England, moved to Wales age 2, Mother Welsh

Welsh parent and grew up abroad
Jake Ball - born England, Father welsh

Welsh grandparent(s), grew up abroad
Tomas Francis - born england, grandmother Welsh

Residency
Aaron Shingler - born England, moved to Wales aged 2
Hallam Amos - born in England, moved to Wales aged 4
Hadleigh Parkes - born NZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Raffles posted:

I feel like you could be born on the moon and still qualify for Scotland if you're named Hamish.

I'm equally amazed Rupert Henry St. John Barker Moon ended up playing for Wales instead of England

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

He wasn't even close to catching that

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

That call was harsh

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Tyma posted:

My computer picked a great time to stop working! What was wrong with the Slam Dunk try?

Called as a knock on when trying to place the ball

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Missed the first half. Have Fiji been playing well and worth their lead? Does it look like they'll compete in the second half?

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Did the French guy just leap frog over the Argentinean scrub half?

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Great end, both the match and the handbags

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Just finished watching the Wales-Georgia game and most of the Ireland-Scotland game (couldn't watch live as my son decided to to wait for the world cup to start before he could be born).
Wales looked good to start, but liked like they got sloppy after the first 20 minutes.
I didn't watch my adopted country England's game, but sounded like it went as expected.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Aramoro posted:

This is entirely incorrect, a player has no right to interfere with any other player if they feel they are not in the right place. All Kieran is doing is preventing the SA player from getting into the right place. It's interference, tackling a player of the the ball or just plain trying to take his head off. Clear yellow at least. You cannot 'protect the active play' by tackling players not involved in it. If Du Toit illegally interfered with the active play it's for the referee to judge, not some rando just clothes lining him.

This. He's tackling the player off the ball, high, and from an offside position. All of these are penalties.

Vaders Jester posted:

Just popping in to say Sir Clive's thermonuclear take on Hodge getting a three week ban of a shoulder charge to the head of a player is yet another reason he should never be on tv again.

Again, this. "That's not a red". It clearly is Clive. There's been a whole season of discussion about this. He also said something along the lines of "how else is he meant to stop him?", as if foul play is allowed if it is the easiest option.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

bessantj posted:

With Shingler in for the Wales game I'm reminded of this

https://twitter.com/BBCScrumV/status/792099832831717376

I remember laughing my arse off over that, before realising we were still going to lose the game anyway.
Tempted to make Jiffy's noise at 50 seconds the notification sound for my phone.

Has this been discussed yet?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/49845414

Reece Hodge (the Australian winger) has been banned for 3 weeks for the high tackle in the Fiji game. During his hearing he said he had no idea about the new rules/guidelines for high tackles, and hadn't received any training on it from his coaches.

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 27, 2019

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Japan have been great. Hope they can hold out.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

bessantj posted:

He loving kicked it out? What the gently caress?

Was he bursting to get back inside for a piss or something? Why the gently caress would you kick it out when you are behind and that close to full time?

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Spin And Speed posted:

German commentators speculating he wanted to secure the defensive bonus point lol

incredible game

Is this being broadcast somewhere in Germany? I'm having to use a VPN to get ITV, but it's sometimes pretty unreliable.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

How was that try just given? The pass from the ruck was miles forward.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Spin And Speed posted:

Yes, on Pro7Maxx
Not all of the matches, but most of them. The weekend matches as far as I can see.

They also show some NFL if you care about that.

Cheers, will give that a go next time my VPN is playing up.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Good start for Wales

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

The Rabbi T. White posted:

That wasn't really late was it? Dude was falling forward?

What exactly was it for? The TMO described it as a shoulder charge I think, but then the ref seemed to be chatting about a late tackle (which seemed to harsh)

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Both the ref and TMO said it was not high and arms were in the tackle so the penalty was entirely for being late.

Seems a bit tough in that case, you see tackles like that in every game.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

That was a clear yellow. No idea why it wasn't given.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Craig Doyle: "Kingsley Jones has managed some huge teams"
Me, checking Wikipedia: "Hmmm.... Doncaster, Sale, Russia, London Welsh, Dragons, Canada"

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

bessantj posted:

I'm beginning to think Russia are bad can anyone c/d?

They can't be too bad if they managed to hire Lyn Jones, fresh from his stint coaching Namibian giants Welwitschias.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Wales are getting pumped at the moment. Sean Edwards is going to tear into them at half time.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Thank God it's Uruguay next, so they can wrap up the key players in cotton wool. At this rate it might be a good idea to fly out some backup players so they are over the jet lag in case they need to be called up.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Wales are playing terrible. Aled Davies can't be the 3rd (4th) best option Wales have at scrum half.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Who's playing 13 for Wales? Has he touched the ball yet?

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

bessantj posted:

Watkins? Yeah loads, he also hasn't dropped it so he's the best centre.

Didn't really notice him up until the last 20 minutes. You're right, still better than Parkes though.
Hallam Amos and Aled Davies are obviously missing Rob Howley.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Love the way Japan play

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

While a draw would have been funny, Japan winning like this is the best result.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

As the thread Official England Supporter: "go England"*

*said in the tone of a hostage video

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

bigfoot again posted:

Now celebrate.

Yay

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Good to see coming in at the side of the ruck is still being ignored

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Apparently offside isn't a thing anymore. Who knew.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Raffles posted:

Pretty uninspiring from wales. Donít think either Japan or Springboks will be worried to be honest.

Even Italy wouldn't be worried after that performance.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Liam Williams is out as well, probably won't recover in time for the final/3rd place kick about either.
Maybe that's why Gatland called up Owen Lane instead of a centre as expected? Maybe he knew Williams's ankle was a bit dodgy?

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Obviously England were inspired by my heartfelt support over the last few weeks, and pushed themselves to victory.
In all seriousness, it was a comprehensive win, if anything the scoreboard flattered the all Black's. They were second best in every part of the game.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

England being in the final means that we surely won't be seeing Wayne Barnes reffing again.
RIP The Wayne Barnes ExperienceTM
Long live the French Ref Lottery

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Kitchner posted:

What changed? Was it a rule change?

The original haka used by the All Blacks was a traditional one from a Maori tribe (is tribe the right word ?). There was an argument about ownership, so they created a new one just for themselves that they can trademark and stop other people using commercially.

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

goatface posted:

no looking at the last ten phases of build up play when there's a questionable grounding.

They shouldn't be doing this anyway. The current protocol is to go back maximum of two rucks/mauls. Obviously, like so many of the other laws, this gets ignored whenever it is convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stavros880
May 1, 2005
I like monkeys

Kitchner posted:

I really respect what Gatland has done with Wales and I hope the next coaching team can really build on that. We've left the world cup as number 4, and that's not a bad place to be going forward.

I think he's done a great job. I'm not sure how many people really remember the 90s/early 2000s. Wales were terrible, and winning games always felt like an upset. Today, we go into most games with a reasonable expectation of winning (or at least, a chance of winning).

12 Years,
2 World Cup Semi finals
1 World Cup Quarter final
4 Six Nations titles
3 Grand Slams