Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!

Post layout inspired by Azur Lane's OP on https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866310

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBONq2wEVM8

Epic Seven is a Korean-made anime-style mobile RPG with gacha mechanics with Korean, Spanish, English, Portuguese, French, and (soon) Japanese voice-acting developed by Supercreative and published by Smilegate Megaport for Android and iOS. Its main draw is having most of the special skills from characters have an animated action that further makes it look good and helps it distinguish itself from others in a similar genre. The animation in attacks and ultimate moves is superb and no other game I have seen comes close to it. As with any mobile game, it is pretty grindy toward end-game and you should only truly invest in it if you want to be the very best, that no one ever was (and your wallet can support it).

How is the Monetization?

As a player who likes buy and support developers often, I can see both the free to play and money aspect of the game through a more discriminating lens. Many free-to-play ("f2p") players enjoy how generous the game is initially and will continue being by logging in and doing daily missions, as well as taking advantage of the numerous events the game offers. That being said, the Gacha rate has been adjusted throughout time from its release roughly one year ago to now (it started with NO guarantee for banner units and 120 summons for a limited character, with resources being hard to come by after the initial mid-game rush ended. At this time, and thanks to the continued bitching/feedback from the Korean community they primarily service, every character banner (new or old) has a 120 summon limit before getting the character, more generous daily login prizes, more generous events in-game, and continued attempts from the developers to make both PvE and PvP aspects friendlier to new people (they added premium "moonlight" / alternative PvP characters to the normal gacha pulls as part of their overhaul. Previously, you had to spend a little over 600 summons to get ONE chance at a rare PvP/moonlight character, now a daily chance to get them through normal summons is offered).

That being said, if you really love the game, there's plenty to spend your money on. You can get stamina refills (as normal from a mobile game), summon currency, gold, and other items through in-app purchases that range from dolphin to whale. You can also buy up to 2 monthly packs to get additional energy and skystones (premium currency) per day for a low price.

This game does allow for some rerolling if you're interested in the game beyond the first chapter, in the sense that you get a "selective summon" (300 rolls hoping for a good starter hero, composed of the original cast) and if you're not happy, to re-roll and do it all over again to your heart's content. It may take a few tries, and at the rate the login events and bonuses are stacking up it may not matter much, but any little advantage you can give yourself if you're a low-cost or free to play player can be worthwhile.

Gameplay?

Epic Seven's core gameplay is a RPG-like side-scrolling team battle game. Your characters are arranged in a cross grid and act in a system reminiscing "active battle" phases of other RPG games such as Chrono Trigger. Your characters will all act according to the speed they have, and they all possess up to 3 skills that may help you win the fight. Abilities consist of both passive and active abilities, and they range from the typical silence, counterattack, stun, etc. that you will find most of the RPGs in this genre contain. Further, an optional, fourth skill ("imprint") can be obtained if you have a copy of the character (through summon) or PvP if it's a 5* character.

One of the big draws E7 has for me that similar games like Fate/Grand Order doesn't have is the ability to hit "auto" for your PvE/easywin PvP matches. This will prompt the game's AI to take over, and prioritize your skillset to fire off from best to worst (or none at all if you select so) and "farm" certain stages. As you can imagine, a game like this is heavy on the grind and it will not be easy to be competitive, especially in PvP, without some effort, time and (probably) money spent.

Outside of battle/adventuring you have a lot of options ranging from hunting 4 specific bosses for gear (with different tiers of it), hunting for runes (to upgrade your characters), delving down in an abyss dungeon chock-full of goodies if you clear certain levels, going up an automated monthly tower for rewards, and challenging a boss to get gear for specific characters. Further, you can do activities like collecting time-gated items such as premium currency and enhance materials from your sanctum.

Also, this is one of those rare games that gets a content/balance update weekly. You can expect it right on the clock every Wednesday afternoon to get updated with new things to do, new characters to pursue, or new events to participate on. On "off-weeks", we will get a 3* character specialty or at least a new banner and side story (which has ingame currency you can retrieve). Best of all, we (global) get updates at the same pace as does Korea and other regions, so there is no anticipating, hoarding, or speculating about future events. We all experience it first-hand. Also, after the Korean feedback debaucle they had last month, the company has been much more generous about their events, paid packages, and overall services to us players.

The game has PLENTY to offer to all types of players and I would encourage ANYONE with a fleeting interest in anime or most videogames to give it a shot. I enjoy piecing the puzzles down on how to beat certain challenges or working my way around certain PvP compositions and so do most of your goon buddies...

You said PvP? Goon Buddies?

There is a PvP mode called "Arena" introduced to you early on. You will fight other players' teams 4 on 4, and determine who is the winner. This is pretty much considered "cancer zone" for most players due to the prevalence of lucky draw characters (the moonlight characters, who specialize in PvP disruption) being in this mode. Each week, PvP points are tallied and you are given (more of) the game's premium currency as well as some of the season's currency to buy high-level items.

WHY WE NEED YOU? There is an ADDITIONAL PvP mode called "Guild Wars". We originally were only a band of 25-30 goons playing this anime game, but now due to the game's popularity we have grown in numbers and started a sister guild (LLJK); our main guild is "Goon Squad" (currently full). In this mode, as you can imagine, guilds fight each other for PvP currency, renown, glory, and waifu points. Our sister guild LLJK needs a few more members and would be happy to help newbies get up to speed. As it is a 3v3 battle, it's somewhat easier in the right circumstances to get up-to-date with gear and PvP abilities and enjoy this option.

Plot?

Part of Epic Seven's allure is it's anime look/feel and it goes all the way down to its story and its characters. Without spoiling much, the characters are fairly well-developed and most of the important 4 and 5 star characters have sidestories or journal entries to give background information about them. These also typically include events and currency about them. The main gist of it is, the world is about to be destroyed for the 7th time and it's up to the main character (Ras) to save it from that fate and recruit others to fight the Archdemon. It sounds cliche and it is, but it's got plenty of other sidestories and quirks to keep someone entertained. On top of that, SG's storytelling has improved dramatically and every 2-3 weeks we can expect more story chapters or character stories to be added.

Starting Tips
I would try to summarize all my knowledge here, but I would let the professionals handle it. To my surprise and happiness, many websites have cropped up since launch to help new players, and here is a very good one for your first foray into E7:

https://epic7x.com/ultimate-epic-seven-re-roll-guide-for-beginners/

Resources:

Official reddit full of information
Fan-made tier-lists, guides and discussion.
Official Forums
https://discord.gg/REyu5fz Goon discord. PLEASE come in and ask questions, we love new people!

I encourage all goons who play this game to chime in and give their thoughts on the game and other insight I may have missed.

Edit: April 2020

:siren: new announcements for this game while we are all under quarantine:

Per discord: “ Yall Sorry about the mass ping but guess what: LLJK and GOON are going to be merging! I am doing an interest check to see what peeps are still around to post and play Guild Wars in this here Tryhard Video Game. Signups will end on 04/25/2020! so that way we can fully merge guilds the following cooldown. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/150GkDLdK3tFliBIve0VovBlwdflBIjcQPEIWGEjxJqM/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to try hard and own some mans anime style in a still very friendly very popular gacha game, give this a shot! Same discord.

DarkFact fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This game is real good lately. Their weekly updates are actually pretty great. Game's fun.

I stopped playing for a while because it looked like they were going the P2W route but then they did this weird thing where they nerfed the P2W units, buffed some more obtainable units, and then made everything more obtainable on top of that.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

They've really taken a lot of the criticism they've been receiving to heart lately. Now is a good time to start due to the event being easy to access and friends being able to help you clear it.

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!
To give everyone an idea of the criticism, they spent over 12(!!) hours IN A ROW listening to Korean whales and their concerns (beyond working hours & beyond bedtime, including their CEO) to make amends and keep everyone happy. A result was a complete revamp of the summon system and much friendlier bonuses and PvP accessibility (which they are still working on). This is a good sign to give this game a try, in my opinion!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
the amount of free extra energy going at the moment is insane, i only started a bit over a week ago and ive only run out of energy like once and ive been burning through the current special event and story line at the same time

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I've bounced around a lot of mobile games and this one has been by far my favorite. It's been out almost a year for Global and it's the one that hasn't had a burn out phase for me.

It's also extremely free to play friendly if you don't need to be top end arena or have all the waifu.

Like Summoner's War that it takes a lot from, 3* units are highly usable and people run gimmick teams with them that can clear all the content.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
We have guilds, join us

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
is this just summoners war with more anime humans and less cool monsters

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

From what I have heard, yes. Also, waifus with enticing animations and easier to obtain high end stuff.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

LibrarianCroaker posted:

It's summoners war with more waifu and a less soulcrushing gatcha. (They recently put L/D units into the regular summoning pool, at a scarcer rarity of course)

It's also been evolving at a high rate, due mostly to the recent Korean player riot that was so severe it actually shut up the whining on the Reddit forum for a few days.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I've played a lot of lovely gacha games and this is the best of the lovely gacha games. The game steals enough from Summoner's War to be engaging from a gameplay perspective and the art and character design is pretty great.

Condolences to everyone starting after the Tamarinne banner though as she is the best character in the game

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting
Definitely one of the more F2P friendly gachas I've run across. All content is doable with free or easy to obtain characters, and sometimes those characters are some of the best options for specific content. There's a ton of stuff to do, but the game eases you into it and it never really feels too overwhelming.

Come join LLJK and help us fail miserably at guild war!

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
This really is the best gacha on the market. If you like playing pokemon-like teambuilding games, then this is the game for you. It's basically summoners war, but slightly (or massively) better in almost every way (and does not have violent runes).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thinking posted:

Condolences to everyone starting after the Tamarinne banner though as she is the best character in the game

I've only had Tamarinne for a week and a half, but if anything happened to her I would kill everyone and then myself.

Jokes aside this is a pretty fun time waster, and the goons in discord are chill and fun to hang out with. Come join so LLJK has enough people to do guild wars. :v:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I'm not making much progress with this team anymore. Yet to clear 10-10. I need to make promotions and awakenings, so I guess its time to sorta pay attention to the mats I need and grind em. I like this game, the story makes me laugh and is corny in the right ways imo.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 19, 2019

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
95% of the time you should use arky for your guardian. You should 6* angelica since she'll be your w11 tank, then 6* kise as your w11 dps, and stop using Ras asap. Yufine is amazing, but she's mostly for later game activities like b11 and pvp.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

It'll feel good to replace Ras actually. Sweet, thanks.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
You very quickly learn that the best way to get things ranked up is by walking the fodder animals and dogs you get. Once you have a solid person to clear stuff you can play the dog walking sim!

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!
If you’re curious about the new potential banner hero (and probably limited summon from the sounds of it), you can preview her by going to Violet’s connections in the hero journal. A fire tank that dual attacks s1, shield and cleanse party s3... seems pretty good. Also very annoying to fight in the near future.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Just started and applied to LLJK as SAinterro, but a little overwhelmed.

I summoned Vildred and am pushing through act 3 of the story - when should I be doing events? Labyrinth? All this other stuff that isn't the story?

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting

interrodactyl posted:

Just started and applied to LLJK as SAinterro, but a little overwhelmed.

I summoned Vildred and am pushing through act 3 of the story - when should I be doing events? Labyrinth? All this other stuff that isn't the story?

Vildred's a good pull, that'll really kickstart your team. I'm sure someone will come and correct me, but I'd say your priority should be doing all your daily stuff and pushing through the story to 10-10. That's when everything should be opened up. If there's interesting stuff in the event I'd do that too, but at least right now, you might be a little late to the current event to get a whole lot out of it.

Dailies will give you some introduction to the different stuff in the game, just try to push a little farther in your hunts/spirit altars/abyss/labyrinth/etc even day. All of them are important in that they give you equipment for your heroes or materials to improve them.

Seawaffle fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 19, 2019

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

I started playing this at launch and loved it for a few months before it began feeling really P2W and I was having terrbile luck with the gacha so quit. Saw folks in the Android thread say it was very F2P friendly and came back last week. I'm enjoying it a lot again, though my team is rough. Not getting higher than Gold in PvP and just get constantly rocked in Guild Wars (through the random guild i joined).

Will jump over to LLJK today or tomorrow (I forget if there's a cooldown).

I'll go through the thread after work to add friends, or go ahead and add me as a friend in game (Presteign). No one seems to check their friend requests because that drat notification never goes away. How is that still an issue a year after release.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Presteign posted:

I started playing this at launch and loved it for a few months before it began feeling really P2W and I was having terrbile luck with the gacha so quit. Saw folks in the Android thread say it was very F2P friendly and came back last week. I'm enjoying it a lot again, though my team is rough. Not getting higher than Gold in PvP and just get constantly rocked in Guild Wars (through the random guild i joined).

Will jump over to LLJK today or tomorrow (I forget if there's a cooldown).

I'll go through the thread after work to add friends, or go ahead and add me as a friend in game (Presteign). No one seems to check their friend requests because that drat notification never goes away. How is that still an issue a year after release.

If you use crystals to shop-refresh instead of buying bookmarks with them, you'll get at solid 60% more bookmarks that way, though it'll have an added gold cost.

To give you an idea, I hit pity and zeroed my bookmarks for Vivian a few weeks ago. Two weeks later I was around 150 pulls, which is well over the pity counter of 120. I've been tossing random pulls at the regular banner at this point.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Kalas posted:

If you use crystals to shop-refresh instead of buying bookmarks with them, you'll get at solid 60% more bookmarks that way, though it'll have an added gold cost.

To give you an idea, I hit pity and zeroed my bookmarks for Vivian a few weeks ago. Two weeks later I was around 150 pulls, which is well over the pity counter of 120. I've been tossing random pulls at the regular banner at this point.
Yeah, I remeber reading that. Part of the problem is I never did anything with my crystals. I still have 28k that I really should spend some time store refreshing with. I would only use the tickets I earned to summon and would never have enough on hand for the limited banners because i'm a sucker and used them on the regular banners. Missed Luna and Diene that way. Luckily I had stopped pulling a bit before i quit and had more than enough to get a pity Tamarinne this past week and have enough left over for the next banner's pity. I'm incredibly disappointed I didn't come back in time for Seaside Bellona though.

Also, the gear unequip costs are still dumb and I hate them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Forgive me my ignorance, but what exactly is gacha? Googling only tells me it's a lootbox-y gambling mechanic, I guess, and I don't get how it's a genre somehow.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Sleekly posted:

I'm not making much progress with this team anymore. Yet to clear 10-10. I need to make promotions and awakenings, so I guess its time to sorta pay attention to the mats I need and grind em. I like this game, the story makes me laugh and is corny in the right ways imo.

The other tip I'd give you is set Angelica in front, give her HP or DEF gear. Healers do a very solid job of tanking in this game and Angelica's one of the better ones.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Megazver posted:

Forgive me my ignorance, but what exactly is gacha? Googling only tells me it's a lootbox-y gambling mechanic, I guess, and I don't get how it's a genre somehow.

Pretty much. This is a gacha rpg-like game that also autoplays. This is pokemon with waifus and husbandos. Its fun though once you get started and you can largely remain f2p for a bulk of it unless you get deep into PVP.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

The game has some fun stories to it too. Arky and the gang are pretty lively and likable and the side-stories are great for fleshing out lesser used characters that share the world with the main cast.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Is this game pretty forgiving if I don't have the time to play through all my stamina every day? I just don't play games that consistently any more and I need to not feel like I'm totally loving up if I take a day (or even occasional week) for something else.

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!
It’s pretty forgiving in my opinion. Most people don’t even complete the daily quests and still accumulate a good team and stuff eventually. I’d say I’d recommend logging in once a day because the login bonus is cumulative and the 3rd and 4th week login streak bonus yields a 4-5* hero and a moonlight (expensive) pull for free. It definitely doesn’t punish you beyond maybe missing out on some daily resources or items you could be getting.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Presteign posted:

Yeah, I remeber reading that. Part of the problem is I never did anything with my crystals. I still have 28k that I really should spend some time store refreshing with. I would only use the tickets I earned to summon and would never have enough on hand for the limited banners because i'm a sucker and used them on the regular banners. Missed Luna and Diene that way. Luckily I had stopped pulling a bit before i quit and had more than enough to get a pity Tamarinne this past week and have enough left over for the next banner's pity. I'm incredibly disappointed I didn't come back in time for Seaside Bellona though.

Also, the gear unequip costs are still dumb and I hate them.

FYI: they do semi frequent free unequip events now. So hang on til then if possible. Also spend your drat stones!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yuss save me a spot i'll apply after the cooldown. S1phnz

E] Huche has a shop in the pub now and his poo poo is ridiculously expensive, 50 mystic medals costs 200 stones :psyduck:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 19, 2019

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

gently caress it. I'm a mark for gacha games and the character animations look amazing. Preparing to re-roll.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SilverMike posted:

The other tip I'd give you is set Angelica in front, give her HP or DEF gear. Healers do a very solid job of tanking in this game and Angelica's one of the better ones.

Cool will try it

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Talran posted:

You very quickly learn that the best way to get things ranked up is by walking the fodder animals and dogs you get. Once you have a solid person to clear stuff you can play the dog walking sim!

Never even thought of this! I thought those things were just ascension fodder. Awesome plan lol

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Alright, I already have a dumbass question. If I start with a guest login now, can I register a stove account later?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sleekly posted:

Never even thought of this! I thought those things were just ascension fodder. Awesome plan lol

They are. You rank up the 2* randos to 3* (or rank up dogs with them), then rank up those now 3* randos/dogs to 4*, then use those now 4* randos as fodder to rank up dogs to 5*, then use the dogs to rank up actual characters to 6*. Also, try to save your dupes of a character to use them as rank up fodder for your main copy, since that still counts for increasing their team bonus.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Alright, I already have a dumbass question. If I start with a guest login now, can I register a stove account later?

Yes, but the second you have something viable, link it.

However you can also reset your account in-system as well, so you can just keep doing that without having to clear software data caches or the typical way to reroll gatchas.

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!

100 degrees Calcium posted:

As I recall, yes... but you will want to quickly register your account once you get something good. The game does allow for a wipe of the account in the settings so it makes rerolling less of a pain and you can register right away. Be careful with that feature though since it does delete everything in every server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Oh okay. Just to make sure I understand, if I'm heading straight to 1-10 for my rolls and then wiping my account immediately afterwords, I'll be good to go with a linked account and no need to re-install the app?