Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
i own a gun and i support trudeau but i don't support people doing things 10+ years ago that might be considered racist now

is that ok?

i can provide a handy printout with a checklist for anyone who needs to tick YES or NO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
wearing blackface 10-20 years ago 'might' have been considered racist then as well

or at the very least so spectacularly naive and ill-considered it reflects poorly regardless

i think justin likes to dress up in general, but there's no excuse for being so ridiculously out of touch especially when you're going to try to actually represent people

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
if there's any doubt i can provide my own yearbok photo where i was DEFINITELY NEVER dressed in blackface.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Liberals proved to be spineless fucks when they didn't change the fptp electoral system, yet again. Everything else is just sprinkles on this big ol' poo poo donut.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blast of Confetti posted:

buckle up, boys

I guess, if thats the sort of thing that you get excited about

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
This stupid loving idiot

Now we are gonna get Trump jr. with that chucklefuck andrew scheer

Only been running attack ads on Trudeau for four loving years

Gee i wonder who uncovered Trudeau's stupidity?

:iiam:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

schmuckfeatures posted:

if there's any doubt i can provide my own yearbok photo where i was DEFINITELY NEVER dressed in blackface.

wait.... is this ralph northam?

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
seriously i keep trying to keep up with the entire checklist of what it takes to be woke nowadays, but it's too hard to keep up

now i realize how my parents weren't able to figure out how to program a vcr

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

On a serious note, I don't really think that there was any racist intent behind this. It doesn't seem like he was doing this to poo poo on black/brown people. I get why this is such a big deal today but 20 years ago it wasn't a big political statement to show up to an arabian nights party dressed as Aladdin. The way he went about it is about as tasteful as blackface gets. At least he didn't do the red lips. Not a great look for him though

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Mozi posted:

wearing blackface 10-20 years ago 'might' have been considered racist then as well.

It definitely was. Even in the 60s or whenever when it was more "common" it was still racist and offensive, just that white people didn't acknowledge it as such.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mozi posted:

wearing blackface 10-20 years ago 'might' have been considered racist then as well

or at the very least so spectacularly naive and ill-considered it reflects poorly regardless

i think justin likes to dress up in general, but there's no excuse for being so ridiculously out of touch especially when you're going to try to actually represent people

It wasn't. He just did his thing, and everyone had fun, and then no one brought it up again for 20 years because it helped support their political agenda

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

OG Algier posted:

On a serious note, I don't really think that there was any racist intent behind this. It doesn't seem like he was doing this to poo poo on black/brown people. I get why this is such a big deal today but 20 years ago it wasn't a big political statement to show up to an arabian nights party dressed as Aladdin. The way he went about it is about as tasteful as blackface gets. At least he didn't do the red lips. Not a great look for him though

Lmao. In defense of a blackface.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
pre-emptive "i'm not racist"

can't we have nuance anymore?

i miss nuance

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

It definitely was. Even in the 60s or whenever when it was more "common" it was still racist and offensive, just that white people didn't acknowledge it as such.

That's not true. White people have always known that the treatment of black people has been horrible. One of the first opinion pieces written on the United States when it formed, was about how hypocritical it was that slavery was going to be a thing, and that the U.S. would have a hard time sticking together if it didn't get rid of it sooner or later. :v:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i don't think he's racist in the sense that he hates people for the color of their skin

i think he's foolish and naive, which for a white person in power can have the effect of continuing entrenched racist polices

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

White politicians will never break rank and have empathy for people of color. It doesn't matter if this was 20 years ago, he has the same hatred for black people then as he does now.

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lmao. In defense of a blackface.

I just don't think the guy is a racist

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its amazing
the picture is so obviously doctored

but what are you going to do, say "no actually here's the real one where i am in much lighter blackface"

lmao

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

OG Algier posted:

The way he went about it is about as tasteful as blackface gets.

Ummmmm...

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Don't do blackface seems like the easiest thing, but apparently it was really tough to avoid not long ago. Odd.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OG Algier posted:

On a serious note, I don't really think that there was any racist intent behind this.

Haha, you really need to look up the history of black face. There is zero way to interpret it other than a symbol of racism, violence, and hatred.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
here's the worst thing about social media: it's made reality, real human interactions, get reduced to the level of a Youtube comments section.

wasn't too long ago that two idiots screaming at each other in a comments section on YouTube was just an easily dismissed distraction: a sideshow event where nobody needed to even look at the absurdity of it.

now that Facebook and Twitter have come along, and through some horrendous error of judgement, have been turned into something that mainstream media should repeat, we're now looking at every news article repeating what TARDFUCKER666 said about the latest developments in Palestine or some poo poo.

gently caress all that.

internet trolls are internet trolls, and one of the worst mistakes made in the last decade is the decision to take internet trolls seriously.

who the loving gently caress cares what some fuckwit says on twitter. who cares what justin loving trudeau wore to a party loving EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO.

the planet is loving dying due to our loving emissions and we can't have infinite growth on a finite planet.

we're going to go exctinct in about ten years so get some loving perspective. gently caress ALL THIS poo poo.

:frog:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

OG Algier posted:

there probably wasn't any "racist intent" in the sense that he actively hates minorities but an almost-30-year-old teacher should absolutely be aware of the reasons why we don't like blackface and should not ever actually don blackface under any circumstance.

also it seems like a lot of the discussion about this around the internet today is glossing over the fact that he an almost-30-year-old teacher and not a high school kid. high schoolers in blackface in 1999 could at least be given a bit of slack for their ignorance and or lack of worldliness, but a teacher doing it is something else entirely

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Blast of Confetti posted:

every time i bring up another politician doing blackface with a friend he brings up white chicks movie. its like an instinctiual reaction lmao

he could at least bring up Eddie Murphy in Coming to America.
Or would that be considered "Jewface", I'm not sure on that

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

schmuckfeatures posted:

i own a gun and i support trudeau but i don't support people doing things 10+ years ago that might be considered racist now

blackface was definitely considered racist 10+ years ago

bewbies posted:

also it seems like a lot of the discussion about this around the internet today is glossing over the fact that he an almost-30-year-old teacher and not a high school kid. high schoolers in blackface in 1999 could at least be given a bit of slack for their ignorance and or lack of worldliness, but a teacher doing it is something else entirely

this

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

schmuckfeatures posted:

here's the worst thing about social media: it's made reality, real human interactions, get reduced to the level of a Youtube comments section.

wasn't too long ago that two idiots screaming at each other in a comments section on YouTube was just an easily dismissed distraction: a sideshow event where nobody needed to even look at the absurdity of it.

now that Facebook and Twitter have come along, and through some horrendous error of judgement, have been turned into something that mainstream media should repeat, we're now looking at every news article repeating what TARDFUCKER666 said about the latest developments in Palestine or some poo poo.

gently caress all that.

internet trolls are internet trolls, and one of the worst mistakes made in the last decade is the decision to take internet trolls seriously.

who the loving gently caress cares what some fuckwit says on twitter. who cares what justin loving trudeau wore to a party loving EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO.

the planet is loving dying due to our loving emissions and we can't have infinite growth on a finite planet.

we're going to go exctinct in about ten years so get some loving perspective. gently caress ALL THIS poo poo.

If you think the Liberal party is your golden ticket out of fash climate helldeath, :roflolmao:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

schmuckfeatures posted:

gently caress all that.

This planet is finite, it's resources finite.

If blackface is allowed to continue unchecked... blackface will cease to exist.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don’t touch my sandwich Justin. :colbert:

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

You can't tell me that his alladin costume isn't well executed. Tastless? Yeah. But it's a bit different than doing a blackface costume that plays up all the negative stereotypes of the culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0L_oJMhcs0

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

On a side note, how many American newsites are absolutely in love with Trudeau? I've seen so many of them trying to white wash (heh) this story; calling it brownface, face-darkening, fake tanning, one of them even used a picture of him from that India trip instead of the actual pictures of him wearing the make up.

Meanwhile in Canada most of them are calling it straight up blackface.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

On a side note, how many American newsites are absolutely in love with Trudeau? I've seen so many of them trying to white wash (heh) this story; calling it brownface, face-darkening, fake tanning, one of them even used a picture of him from that India trip instead of the actual pictures of him wearing the make up.

Meanwhile in Canada most of them are calling it straight up blackface.

I think it's because we wish that this was the major issue that is currently hosed up about our elected leader.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Depending on where you go in Canada, you will find people that hate him about as much as a good chunk of America hates Trump. As someone that voted for the guy I'm not exactly happy with him either if I'm being honest, but that said he's still a faaaaaaaaaaaaar loving cry from Trump lol

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

bewbies posted:

there probably wasn't any "racist intent" in the sense that he actively hates minorities but an almost-30-year-old teacher should absolutely be aware of the reasons why we don't like blackface and should not ever actually don blackface under any circumstance.

I agree that he had to be well aware of how blackface was perceived. This was 20 years ago in canada though. It's possible that it was a bit more acceptable considering that canada's history with black people isn't the same as the states. Culturally canada might have been a bit different before the internet really came about and blurred the lines between canadian/us culture with respect to racial politics. Nobody can really defend the decision to do blackface though

congrats on the cup btw

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

OG Algier posted:

I agree that he had to be well aware of how blackface was perceived. This was 20 years ago in canada though. It's possible that it was a bit more acceptable considering that canada's history with black people isn't the same as the states. Culturally canada might have been a bit different before the internet really came about and blurred the lines between canadian/us culture with respect to racial politics. Nobody can really defend the decision to do blackface though

You should read that link I posted earlier

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The posters in the chapelle thread told me cancel culture was a mental illness of millenials so things like this should be A ok!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Ain’t nobody here but us chickens!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

bewbies posted:

serious question: does blackface have the same sort of weight/connotation in Canada that it does in the US?

background: people going to canadiens games in blackface to "support" PK Subban

also: theater productions in blackface to "support" PK Subban

not really, it's mostly been learned to be a negative thing from recent american pop culture. other than the longstanding english/french divide, racism is canada has historically been localized against whatever ethnic minority is prevalent in a given area, and until the 70's canada barely had any black people so a specifically anti-black culture of racism didn't really develop apart from the few areas where former slaves settled in large numbers. not to say white people didn't look down on black people when they encountered them, it was more an out of sight out of mind thing.

the internet has homogenized racism now though, people who live nowhere near an indian reserve will have strong very opinions about natives protesting, and rural folk are afraid of muslims.

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 19, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

The posters in the chapelle thread told me cancel culture was a mental illness of millenials so things like this should be A ok!

Cancel culture is a good thing. There are very few to no avenues to hold people in power accountable for their actions.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Big beef didn't deserve that sixer. Minstrel blackface poo poo is universally reviled and it isn't okay when the Japanese do it in your animes either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I declare Justin Trudeau.... CANCELLED!!!!