Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

Serial blackfaceist Justin Trudeau has just been exposed in 3 separate instances where he is shown wearing black/brownface.

In case you're not familiar with canadian politics this is big news as we have an election coming up.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-brownface-arabian-nights-1.5289165

OG Algier fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Burt close this thread immediately pending further developments.
It's too political.

I think that the nuanced opinions of goons are a valuable resource for my country in this turbulent time

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

bewbies posted:

serious question: does blackface have the same sort of weight/connotation in Canada that it does in the US?

background: people going to canadiens games in blackface to "support" PK Subban

also: theater productions in blackface to "support" PK Subban

Lmao I'm surprised that I never heard about this being a big habs fan. I knew he got some poo poo from the rednecks down in nashville after he got traded but nothing about blackface

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

I'm starting to think that Trudeau is actually black and has been doing whiteface for all these years. What are the chances that any single person has 3+ photos of themselves in blackface?

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

On a serious note, I don't really think that there was any racist intent behind this. It doesn't seem like he was doing this to poo poo on black/brown people. I get why this is such a big deal today but 20 years ago it wasn't a big political statement to show up to an arabian nights party dressed as Aladdin. The way he went about it is about as tasteful as blackface gets. At least he didn't do the red lips. Not a great look for him though

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lmao. In defense of a blackface.

I just don't think the guy is a racist

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

You can't tell me that his alladin costume isn't well executed. Tastless? Yeah. But it's a bit different than doing a blackface costume that plays up all the negative stereotypes of the culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0L_oJMhcs0

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

bewbies posted:

there probably wasn't any "racist intent" in the sense that he actively hates minorities but an almost-30-year-old teacher should absolutely be aware of the reasons why we don't like blackface and should not ever actually don blackface under any circumstance.

also it seems like a lot of the discussion about this around the internet today is glossing over the fact that he an almost-30-year-old teacher and not a high school kid. high schoolers in blackface in 1999 could at least be given a bit of slack for their ignorance and or lack of worldliness, but a teacher doing it is something else entirely

I agree that he had to be well aware of how blackface was perceived. This was 20 years ago in canada though. It's possible that it was a bit more acceptable considering that canada's history with black people isn't the same as the states. Culturally canada might have been a bit different before the internet really came about and blurred the lines between canadian/us culture with respect to racial politics. Nobody can really defend the decision to do blackface though

congrats on the cup btw

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

Sheen Sheen posted:

You should read that link I posted earlier

Interesting article. There's no question that he must have been aware that it would be viewed negatively.

"contemporary blackface draws quite clearly on racial tropes—fried chicken, dreadlocks, monkeys." This line specifically is why I don't think he should be crucified for this. Nobody should be doing blackface but the Aladdin costume as a whole didn't really play up any racial tropes. If he was shitfaced and yelling "durka durka durka" that's a different story

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

Is having done blackface a 4th time really that much worse than having done it 3 times? Like I get not wanting the public to find out the second or third time, but at this point it's pretty clear that the man just likes to dress up as black people. I'm not going to be shocked if there's more

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

CJacobs posted:

If that headline is real, it's a smart answer because he's gonna get pinned to the wall by journos even further if he says a number that turns out to be either too high or too low. These journalists know very well that asking someone how many times they did something 10-20 years ago is pretty hard to answer. They are banking on him answering incorrectly so they can get clicks from headlines that say "TRUDEAU LIES ABOUT HOW MANY TIMES HE WORE BLACKFACE" even though he may have just been mistaken. If anyone has wondered why politicians love giving non-answers or non-committal nods, that is why. It's not because he's afraid of getting in trouble, he already is in trouble and apologized for it, it's because news media in any country will latch onto any scrap they can to make someone look bad for ad revenue.

I mean they're already blasting him for not remembering how many times he's done it. He definitely made the right choice on not being specific though

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

I've had the local news on all day where they've been doing random on the street interviews with people to get their reactions about this. Pretty much everybody they've talked to doesn't really give a poo poo considering that this happened over 20 years ago. Obviously nobody they interviewed thinks that blackface is a great thing (or going to win him any votes) but they recognize that he's not an actual racist. It's funny to see the juxtaposition between the news anchor's/political opponents reactions vs javinder blow on the street

I don't think that this is going to hurt him as much as his opponents/people on the internet think it's going to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

https://globalnews.ca/news/5926620/blackface-canada-history/

Why are there so many people doing blackface here? I feel like this gives a bit of credibility to the people saying that blackface is not such a big deal in canada. I'm honestly surprised that a good chunk of these incidents took place in the gta (most americanized part of the country imo) I grew up in the gta and always understood that blackface was a big no no

quote:

A Montreal theatre drew ire from local artists over a 2014 year-end skit in which a white actor wore blackface to portray then-Montreal Canadiens’ defenceman P. K. Subban.

Fellow Canadian hockey players Tyler Bozak and Raffi Torres faced criticism for separate incidents in 2012 and 2011 in which they wore blackface to dress up as black celebrities for Halloween.

several reports of high-school students wearing blackface for school events ranging from Christmas shows to a mock assembly of the United Nations.

A white teacher at a school in Charlottetown wore blackface for a video spoofing an African-Canadian coworker in 2007, according to the timeline.

In 2013, Ontario’s Peel District Schoolboard launched an investigation after a vice-principal at a Caledon high school wore blackface to dress up as Mr. T on Halloween.

several blackface incidents at universities across the country, including a 2009 scandal in which five University of Toronto students wore blackface on Halloween for a group costume as the Jamaican bobsled team from the film Cool Runnings.

In 2013, a provincial politician in Nova Scotia tweeted, then deleted, a photo of himself sitting on the lap of a blackface Christmas character.