Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

bewbies posted:

serious question: does blackface have the same sort of weight/connotation in Canada that it does in the US?

I googled “minstrel shows in Canada” to see if this was the case, and the the first result seems to suggest that, yes, it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

OG Algier posted:

What are the chances that any single person has 3+ photos of themselves in blackface?

I’m starting to think the answer to that is “pretty high” among white people and “near 100%” for white politicians

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

OG Algier posted:

I agree that he had to be well aware of how blackface was perceived. This was 20 years ago in canada though. It's possible that it was a bit more acceptable considering that canada's history with black people isn't the same as the states. Culturally canada might have been a bit different before the internet really came about and blurred the lines between canadian/us culture with respect to racial politics. Nobody can really defend the decision to do blackface though

You should read that link I posted earlier

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Collapsing Farts posted:

isnt blackface controversial because america had minstrel shows? Why would it be controversial in other countries?

Canada had minstrel shows too. They were just as popular in Canada as they were in the US even!

The guy who wrote the loving Canadian national anthem performed in blackface minstrel shows!

Schweinhund posted:

Dressing up as another person or culture isn't inherently "mocking" or demeaning them. There's nothing inherently wrong with black face. Without cultural reasons it's no different from wearing a different color wig.

...except the history of white people wearing blackface in North America stems from a form of entertainment centered around punching down on black slaves and “putting them in their place,” so due to those cultural reasons, it is different from wearing a wig

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the entire tradition of minstrel shows and blackface literally only exists to be racist.

In North America? Pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also in the rest of the world. It's not like racism against black people is exclusively North American.

I misunderstood your point as sarcasm :v: