Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I would not be at all surprised if they either left in gather dust in some distant storage place or just plopped it down somewhere in South Philly 3 years from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Will Laren finished this painting today and is auctioning it off on his instagram all proceeds going to BLM Philly.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/XQBCQ5q.mp4

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Philly shuts down dumpster pools: 'We are not screwing around'

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
We shut down dumpster pools four years ago.

New hotness is the deep, bitter irony of a bunch of South Philly assholes feeling the need to protect the Christopher Columbus statue with bats directly leading to violence against reporters, which directly led to the statue being taken down

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Things that piss me off endlessly as a denizen of South Philly

1. Assholes "defending" Target and Christopher Columbus
2. "Philly cheese steaks" with green peppers

Oh also Lowtax beats women I think a post about that should be in every thread

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This might be a weird bubble, but in my 11 years and change of living in Philly I never met a single person who got their cheesesteaks with peppers. Not a one. I’ve ordered an incalculable number of cheesesteaks in my life and never once have I ever had someone go “oh green peps on mine for sure!”

Who the gently caress is eating the peps?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There's an article floating around somewhere that says if you are from the Philadelphia area it's a lot easier if you learn to accept that there is a sandwich called a "cheesesteak" and there is a seperate sandwich, more widely available, called a "Philly cheese steak", and they're two very different things and that's okay as long as you know which one is on the menu.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A "Philly cheese steak" can be cubed beef with green peppers doused in melted cheddar cheese sauce on ciabatta. I've seen it!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm from Philly and I think purist arguments about what a cheese steak really is are the dumbest poo poo ever

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I moved from Philly to NC for two years, now I'm in VA and I can confirm (without ever actually ordering one) that the rest of this country sells a "Philly" and it always comes with green peppers by default.

I'm very happy the Aldi in South VA gets Amoroso rolls, on a sort-of-related topic

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The green peppers is specifically what makes it a Philly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The most important parts of the cheesesteak, in order:

The roll
The beef
The cheese

Elephunk posted:

I'm very happy the Aldi in South VA gets Amoroso rolls, on a sort-of-related topic

I genuinely feel like I haven’t had a real sandwhich in years, the bread down south sucks insanely bad.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

I'm from Philly and I think purist arguments about what a cheese steak really is are the dumbest poo poo ever

Same.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

The most important parts of the cheesesteak, in order:

The roll
The beef
The cheese

I genuinely feel like I haven’t had a real sandwhich in years, the bread down south sucks insanely bad.

The Roll Belt directly coincides with the Pizza Belt.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

South of South, east of Broad, and north of Oregon has an incredible array of bakeries. Even more than just the big established Italian family places. A few months ago I had some sourdough topped with everything seasoning from a place called Mighty Bread near 12th and Reed which was the best bread I've ever had in my life.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Let's not even go into sizes. The size of whatever you order outside of the city of Philadelphia will be less than half the weight, and definitely at least half the size of any corner pizza place cheesesteak. I saw one come out once at a Kickback Jack's in NC and it looked like it was made on a hot dog bun.

Philadelphia
Sep 29, 2014
I was born in Philadelphia and lived most of my childhood there. But then I moved to bumfuck nowhere Western PA and I've been stuck here for decades. There's no culture or other human beings out here so I mostly pretend to be from Philly and even made some friends out there that I have yet to meet in person. I just tell them I'm really shy and afraid to come out. I hope the cheesesteaks are still good, all we have out here are cheap imitations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Does any place here make good hot pastrami sandwiches? I was in Boston for 10 years and it's only since I've been back that I realize how much I took their easy availability for granted there (which was usually at all the same types of corner pizza joints that you can get Cheesesteaks and hoagies here).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

Does any place here make good hot pastrami sandwiches? I was in Boston for 10 years and it's only since I've been back that I realize how much I took their easy availability for granted there (which was usually at all the same types of corner pizza joints that you can get Cheesesteaks and hoagies here).

4th Street Deli makes a pretty good one, though they are a little on the expensive side. My favorite jewish deli in the area is Hymie's out in Lower Merion though I believe if you are specifically looking for hot pastrami you need to go to Murray's, which is conveniently located about 500 feet away from Hymie's.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Even further afield is The Kibitz Room over in South Jersey and they're more about their hot corned beef which they take very seriously. They will flat out refuse to serve you a cold corned beef sandwich.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

iamsosmrt posted:

a couple years ago there was a jewish deli on locust between 44th and 43rd near the laundrymat and across from the CVS there. The wait is like 45 mins to an hour and the sandwich will be like $15 but you'll be able to feed a family of 4 with it, it's bananas. I once ordered a Reuben from there that I thought changed my life.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Even further afield is The Kibitz Room over in South Jersey and they're more about their hot corned beef which they take very seriously. They will flat out refuse to serve you a cold corned beef sandwich.

Great pickles there.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I was using some public bathroom in 30th street station I think? Someone had written on the stall wall something along the lines of "you're probably here because you ate geno's". I wasn't, but I understand where the author was coming from.

piratescurvy
Jun 28, 2008
Not originally born here but as a long time Philadelphian, pretty sure they invented litter too. People just drop trash here like mix tapes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

piratescurvy posted:

Not originally born here but as a long time Philadelphian, pretty sure they invented litter too. People just drop trash here like mix tapes.

People thought Philadelphia was a particularly dirty city in the 1700's

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

E: see below

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 21, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I refuse to break the spine of my Philadelphia streets book to make pretty pictures

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Philadelphia owns if only because of Toynbee tiles

RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPiTER

I found a freshly planted one one evening just off of E Girard and it was rad

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I refuse to break the spine of my Philadelphia streets book to make pretty pictures

Google Lens is cool

"Filthy-dirty"

Are dirty, pothole-ridden streets symptomatic of decline of modern civilization? Or are Philadelphia's unknowingly perpetuating a peculiar vestige the city's rich historic past?

Filthy-dirty has been one of Philadelphia's unknowingly perpetuating decline of modern civilization? Or are Philadelphians a peculiar vestige of the pseudonyms for almost three centuries-at least. In fact, Robert Venable, a man with a remarkable memory born recalled hearing that descriptive title used in his youth. As Venable remembered them, Philadelphia streets were alternately muddy or dusty, depending on the weather. A citizen took his or her life in hand traversing the city, dodging garbage and other nauseating obstacles. Sidewalks, the protective corridors we know today, existed only in rare instances.

Some private homeowners, at their own expense, installed brick or fieldstone walkways from the house line ten feet into the rut-filled cartways. Bricks were the first choice. But the demand quickly exhausted the supply... and skyrocketed the cost. When brick was priced out of reach of the common man, Philadelphians filled the remaining spaces with pebbles fished from creek and river beds.

As late as 1718, the provincial government could not bring itself to accept the responsibility for maintain ing the streets of the city. As a result, many residents took matters into their own hands. They could stand the filth and potholes no longer. They paved the streets themselves. .. "from ye Kennel [gutter] to the middle of the streets before their respective tenements with pebble stones." However, not every homeowner was filled with civic pride. Some felt they were taxed enough to cover the cost of surfacing the roads. Let the city do it, they cried!

Other citizens were perturbed by stray horses and rumbling wagons accidentally destroying their fences and property. To protect their homesteads, they installed short, stout posts at regular intervals along the street edge of their properties. Outside these posts, "the middle part of the streets was very dirty, and interrupted frequently by various types of lumber."

The Pennsylvania grand jury recognized the problem in 1750, and reported that "frequent complaints were made by strangers and others of the extreme dirtiness of the streets for want of paving." But the knowledge of the severity of the problem didn't trigger any immediate response-or action. Eleven years later, a lottery was held-probably at the instigation of Ben- jamin Franklin-to raise enough money to pave some Philadelphia streets. The response to the lottery was by no means overwhelming.

City fathers raised enough money-$7,500-to pave North 2nd Street, from High (now Market) to Race. The work was begun by unskilled laborers. Their craftsman ship was so poor that a British soldier, and skilled paver, John Purdon, was given leave from the army to super vise the work. Purdon's roadway, by modern standards, left much to be desired. He installed the largest stones he could locate in the middle of the road; smaller stones were placed to either side. His planning provided the streets with excellent drainage, but wreaked havoc the springs and sprockets of the crudely-constructed carriages and wagons-and the derrieres of the passengers Despite the installation of some paved streets, Philadelphia remained "filthy-dirty." Laws were enacted that required residents to sweep the sidewalks in front of their properties every Friday. Where did they put the refuse? Where else? In the street! By 1765, the city assumed its responsibility for the area between the sidewalks. In that year, Robert Erwin was appointed city "scavenger." His job was to clean all the streets-once a week. Philadelphia's streets did not improve, even with Erwin's efforts.

By the end of the Revolution, few streets were paved. In 1783, homeowners on Lombard Street, between 3rd and 4th, petitioned the Board of Street Commissioners for paving. They explained they had "cheerfully paid their portion of the street taxes, in full confidence, that as soon as the situation of our public affairs would admit, they should be relieved in the premises." They were angry because, as they wrote, all of the other east-west streets had been paved westward to 5th Street. When all petitions and citizen demands failed, some homeowners threw up their hands in disgust; others acted. After one of the Whartons was thrown from his horse-it had stepped in a pothole-on 2nd Street, between High Street and Chestnut, hisfriends raised the money to pave the street. William Sansom, trying to make his row of houses more sale- able, offered to advance the joint city councils the necessary money to pave two additional blocks of Wal- nut Street to 8th. The city didn't take him up on his offer, so Sansom paid for the work himself. He did get even; he named his privately-funded street "Sansom" after himself.

Times have changed. But have they? Philadelphia still has filth and dirt on its streets. Vehicles are still going into the shop for new shock absorbers. Maybe citizens should resign themselves to the condition and place historical markers on the dirtiest streets.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/kEDXBD1.gifv

piratescurvy
Jun 28, 2008
Philly is disgusting. I own a home in South Philly. I love/hate it

It's affordable .. but guess get what pay for. Concrete wastelands.... but biggest park system in US.

People make a show of being dicks.... rear end in a top hat points? But neighbors on same block look out for each other.

Weird but gritty dirty city.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

pop punk posted:

Philly is the city you grew up in and keep moving back to over and over until you turn 30 and realize it is dog poo poo and the day after you move out they find a body on fire a block from where you were living. gently caress Philadelphia. The only city that is worse is Chicago.

Blast from the past, but coming from Chicago, I believe I need to visit Philly to confirm that Chicago is worse. I've long suspected Chicago to be (the) worse(t) place, as it fits exactly the criteria outlined above, but with an even higher cost of living. And fuckloads of gunshots. Unstoppable amounts of gunshots.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Never been to philly but even the posts in this thread genuinely praising the city sound bleak as hell.

Yeah we got sentient hepatitis monsters in our trash piles (apparently everywhere) but if you go to 34th street and win a fist fight with frat guys you might get a seat at bonnaduccis place . They got the best noodles

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Then how you know Drexel's frat row is on 34th Street?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If you are REALLY into the city of Brotherly Love, do you have Philadelphilia?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Philly rules and anyone who doesn't like it is just a coward.

If you aren't willing to fight a man over a parking spot, live in the suburbs

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

No savesies

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

piratescurvy posted:

Weird but gritty city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:gritin: