Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Philadelphia's City Hall is the largest free standing masonry building in the World.

Now we're used to giant skyscrapers, massive edifices pointing towards the sky, but most of those are iron/steel structures inside with concrete outsides.

City Hall is literally just a pile of rocks on rocks. It's the greatest pile of rocks that humans have ever put together. Stonehenge is on one end of the spectrum, Philadelphia City Hall is on the other. They thought about demolishing it in the 50's but the cost was prohibitive. No humans have ever put so many rocks on top of other rocks. Not even in the last 120 years. Even if it was hit with a nuclear bomb, and people stopped existing, it would still be a big rocky hill thousands of years later.

That rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FogHelmut posted:

That rocks.

Yeah it's amazing. Humans have been around for about 100,000 years and for most of that time we were defined by stone. We lived in caves, we built houses and temples and made tools that were all stones that came from the Earth that we shaped to our purpose. Lithos is Ancient Greek for stone and that's where we get Paleolithic and Neolithic. Eventually we came up with concrete 2000 years or so ago which is essentially stone that we can mold to our own purposes. But before then all we had was stone that we laboriously shaped ourselves. We didn't make stone, we took it out of the Earth and made it bend to our will. Philadelphia City Hall is the greatest expression of that will. It's not manufactured stone, it's stone directly from Mother Earth that we cut and carved and fit together to look like this ridiculous pretty building. 100000 years of people and no group has ever quarried and cut and shaped so many stones to make one building. And no other of the billions of people who have lived since its construction have ever decided to put that many stones together again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Plus if you look at the top from a certain angle it’s like William Penn is holding his wiener!

A Salty Affair
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Plus if you look at the top from a certain angle it’s like William Penn is holding his wiener!

:911:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/hwolson1/status/1255637380494737408?s=21

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I was driving around South Philly today and the wind was so severe literal airborne waves of garbage were attacking pedestrians from foot to face. It reminded me a lot of the song Sandstorm.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Yeah it's amazing. Humans have been around for about 100,000 years and for most of that time we were defined by stone. We lived in caves, we built houses and temples and made tools that were all stones that came from the Earth that we shaped to our purpose. Lithos is Ancient Greek for stone and that's where we get Paleolithic and Neolithic. Eventually we came up with concrete 2000 years or so ago which is essentially stone that we can mold to our own purposes. But before then all we had was stone that we laboriously shaped ourselves. We didn't make stone, we took it out of the Earth and made it bend to our will. Philadelphia City Hall is the greatest expression of that will. It's not manufactured stone, it's stone directly from Mother Earth that we cut and carved and fit together to look like this ridiculous pretty building. 100000 years of people and no group has ever quarried and cut and shaped so many stones to make one building. And no other of the billions of people who have lived since its construction have ever decided to put that many stones together again.

I love this and I love Philadelphia

It's cheap and close to everything, and has great food. And BYOB's so you can get drunk at a fancy meal cheap. Also The Barnes has a large collection of Impressionist art that the city stole from some guy. It's great.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rich_Lori/status/1255942008520216576

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

my family came over to the new world with William Penn to help him survey the great state of Pennsylvania

after consulting our copious family records, I can attest to the fact that Penn's Penis is in fact that large

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I got married at Philly City Hall late last year and we had our photos taken there and around other parts of Philly and it loving owned

As we were walking with our photographer, we lost count of how many people told my wife she was beautiful and congratulations and all that

Two dudes driving by in old city at two different times shouted out congrats from their cars as they flew by, too

awesome city

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Good soup! posted:

I got married at Philly City Hall late last year and we had our photos taken there and around other parts of Philly and it loving owned

As we were walking with our photographer, we lost count of how many people told my wife she was beautiful and congratulations and all that

Two dudes driving by in old city at two different times shouted out congrats from their cars as they flew by, too

awesome city

Philadelphians are really friendly and open people just not in a fake Southern "bless your heart" way or a horribly passive aggressive Midwestern way. They'll actually look you in the eye and tell you how they feel, unlike scared of human contact west coasters. They're less pushy than New Yorkers and less loud and stupid than New Englanders.

Yeah, Philadelphians can be mean to you if you have a Cowboys jacket on and it's December. Yes, Philadelphians will actually tell you you're an rear end in a top hat if you're actually being an rear end in a top hat. Somehow this has resulted in Philadelphians getting a reputation. Remember all the worst behaved people in Philadelphia are actually from South Jersey! It's a scientific fact!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“I’m not mad, I’m just from Philly” was a great way of describing our attitude that my West Philly townies were quite fond of saying.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Philadelphians are really friendly and open people just not in a fake Southern "bless your heart" way or a horribly passive aggressive Midwestern way.

Unless you're a robot

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

That "robot" was dumb as gently caress and the Philadelphians thats killed that stupid-rear end Reddit wet dream did everyone a favor.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If I recall correctly that robot was mutilated in Center City and honest Philadelphians rarely ever venture there. Tourists, suburbanites, rich people, assorted out of towners. It was probably one of them.

I don't mean to insult Center City! I'm not going to say you can't have essentially the perfect solo evening by eating at Reading Terminal, seeing an artsy movie at either of the Ritzs, and then getting drunk as a beast at McGlinchey's.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think it was in Old City, which is a weird mix of very upscale residences and lots of petty crime.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just lmao if you can’t effortlessly envision a couple of FishNecks trying to rob the robot for its smokes and SEPTA tokens

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Taken from Facebook:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Philadelphians are really friendly and open people just not in a fake Southern "bless your heart" way or a horribly passive aggressive Midwestern way. They'll actually look you in the eye and tell you how they feel, unlike scared of human contact west coasters. They're less pushy than New Yorkers and less loud and stupid than New Englanders.

Yeah, Philadelphians can be mean to you if you have a Cowboys jacket on and it's December. Yes, Philadelphians will actually tell you you're an rear end in a top hat if you're actually being an rear end in a top hat. Somehow this has resulted in Philadelphians getting a reputation. Remember all the worst behaved people in Philadelphia are actually from South Jersey! It's a scientific fact!

:hai: the "Bless your heart" poo poo annoyed me to no end when I was living in Texas

Also all the worst behaved people in Philly are definitely from the burbs just outside of it, south jersey is good and pure*

*at least the places I lived in Burlington county near the Delaware lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gloucester County is New Jersey's Delco.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of my favorite things about living in Philly was having an openly contemptuous relationship with the state of Delaware and treating everyone I met from there like a kobold picking through my garbage and basically never being forced to reassess that relationship.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

FogHelmut posted:

Gloucester County is New Jersey's Delco.

Having lived in both, you're not that far off. But I feel like Camden County is the truer heir to the Delco title.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Now that we're sort of on the other side of the outbreak, we can look at how different cities responded to the crisis at its worst. Philadelphia definitely comes out as the leader among the 10 most populous cities of the USA. We did proper science guided restrictions and we fed people. Like no paperwork no ID check no lines no forms we just gave out boxes of food to humans who needed food. That simple action puts Philadelphia ahead of every other large city.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 30, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WaffleZombie posted:

Having lived in both, you're not that far off. But I feel like Camden County is the truer heir to the Delco title.

That's not possible, you see I'm originally from Camden County...

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
Riots broke out in center city. People broke in windows at city hall and set police cruisers on fire.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj88ULPMnTQ

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Bust Rodd posted:

We can't tell you where the best one is because it depends, do you want peppers and cheese whiz? or do you want like an actual sandwich an adult might eat, with meat, light onions, and provelone.

Real talk I've eaten thousands of cheesesteaks in my life but my personal favorite is the vegan Chicken Cheesesteak from Govinda's in Center City on 22nd or so and you have to order it with pepper steak gravy. It's a truly legendary cheesesteak despite containing no animals.

The best NON-cheeseteak sandwich in philly is the Chicken Maroosh from a family owned muslim diner on 45th and walnut. I still dream of this sammy 3 years after moving and if i ever go back i promise itll be my first stop. They are closed for the entirety of Ramadan and I have been burned so, so badly drunkenly biking across town for one without realizing I can't get my sandwhich because of loving Alah, such bullshit.

I lived across the street from that place and it made me gain 5 lbs between August and September 2010.

drat I miss Philly

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

bossy lady posted:

The roast pork sandwiches with broccoli rabe are better than cheese steaks.

This is the truth

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
https://www.pscp.tv/cdt448/1RDxlQzmdzrKL

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/GrittyNHL/status/1266815341939785733

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

How many south philly goons in here? Nothing major happened down here yet from the look of it but like legit have been hearing people go nuts outside the past like 4 hours

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Kyron posted:

How many south philly goons in here? Nothing major happened down here yet from the look of it but like legit have been hearing people go nuts outside the past like 4 hours

Literally nothing has happened on my block and it's been business as usual.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Okay thanks big relief lol. Yeah might just be people up the block on a Saturday night

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Apollodorus posted:

This is the truth

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/phillynewsguy/status/1268058875548270594?s=21

Hell Yeah

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm not the biggest Kenney fan, but I'll give him props for using all of this chaos to get the statue out of there.
If it was a scheduled demolition, there would have been protests and lawsuits, but with this stuff going on, it's just "gently caress it get it out of here".

Hopefully they dump it in the loving river.

A couple of years ago I had listened to the Dollop episode on Rizzo. The conversation with my dad was very telling.
"Hey dad, I listened to a podcast about Rizzo"
Dad interrupts "No matter what they said he wasn't racist, black people were voting for him when he died".

I didn't even mention racism, just that I had listened to a podcast about him. He automatically (and correctly) assumed it was about how he was a racist dick.

Edit: Did some reading on his policies, actually he seems pretty good, I need to educate myself more I guess.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 3, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Kenney is the best mayor we've had in a while and Rizzo was a crumb bum. I've hated on Kenney for being spineless about the statue as he's been saying he'd take it down since November 2017 but it looks like he's found a little courage this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Until that statue gets melted down and shot into the sun, I'm not holding my breath about it being officially gone.