Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Yeah you can give coffee to the REAL BEEFY MEN who do the manly work indoors like plumbing or drywalling, but if they're outdoor laborers on a hot day, you can give them water or lemonade or even a beer or two. Raking out 50 yards of mulch in 98 degree weather doesn't require you to be totally sober. It wouldn't kill you to offer some Coronas to sus trabajadores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
never use the word "cuppa". that's almost as obnoxious as saying "puppers" or "doggos"

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i don't actually offer, most people around here will decline to be polite. I just bring out some waters or cokes and say "here guys, thanks a lot" and leave them there.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
OP just get 4 cans of wife beater and ask them about the footy.

Ladsladsladsladslads.

You will instantly be accepted into the secret society of the tradesman.

Igotadigbick posted:

I always offer but they never partake. :(

I get offered cups of tea pretty much daily at work. I never accept. Some people get offended or really won't take no for an answer. People cannt comprehend that some of us just don't like tea or coffee.

Occasionally i get offered alcohol to take away too. Tell someone you don't drink aclohol and they look at you like you're a total loving nutter.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

never use the word "cuppa". that's almost as obnoxious as saying "puppers" or "doggos"

It's pretty common.. I agree it's a poo poo term though.

Oyak posted:

What is the difference between "lower middle class" and "working class?" BTW I am American, so I have never been exposed to any class distinction smaller than millionaire vs welfare recipient.

Whaaaat? I've definitely heard American's talking about classes in society.

ulex minor posted:

lower middle class means you worry about how you pronounce your 'aitches' and whether to call the thing you eat after dinner 'pudding' or 'dessert' - working class is what george orwell was talking about when he said 'if there is hope,’ wrote Winston, ‘it lies in the proles.’ i.e. the gin soaked underclasses that scream at each other in their bedgowns on my street.

Hahahahahaha, oh my god you're so middle-upper class with your Winston Churchill quotes. Amazing.

Burt Sexual posted:

How do you know they will be men, op?

Because this is Sparta England. (He probably spoke to them beforehand and is expecting a specific person and know their name or whatever.)

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 21, 2019

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I usually only offer coffee if its early enough in the morning. Any other time is just water or maybe a coke if I'm feeling generous.

They may also pet my dog

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Away all Goats posted:

They may also pet my dog

All the customers i go to who have cool dogs keep them locked away inside.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mooseykins posted:

All the customers i go to who have cool dogs keep them locked away inside.

There’s a goon joke here somewhere

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I get the same guys to come do my lawn each week. I ask them if they want some milkshakes they say yeah.

Each shake has two scoops of bulking whey in it, I can see them beefing up already, arms like cannons and legs like big ham hocks. It's crazy, these guys are buff as hell now.

Really a cool trick and tip that works. Try it out

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I get the same guys to come do my lawn each week. I ask them if they want some milkshakes they say yeah.

Shame it's your lawn and only the same guys.

Obviously your milkshake doesn't bring all the boys to your yard.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Each shake has two scoops of bulking whey in it, I can see them beefing up already, arms like cannons and legs like big ham hocks. It's crazy, these guys are buff as hell now.

Lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lmfao

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

How do you know they will be men, op?

i'm sorry if this is sexist but i have never had someone to come round to do anything with a wrench or a shovel who has not been a man (also it was a man this time too)

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i'm trying to relate to them in a 'matey' way

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I give the contractors spinach so their muscles visibly bulk out and briefly display a steam train before completing the job in record time and beating the poo poo out of an attempted rapist to win the gratitude of an extremely thin woman.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ulex minor posted:

i'm sorry if this is sexist but i have never had someone to come round to do anything with a wrench or a shovel who has not been a man (also it was a man this time too)

i'm trying to relate to them in a 'matey' way

Just fuckin w ya. But it’s bs that women don’t get into trades more. Electrical, plumbing, etc all accessible for weenies like me. Good money too.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

Just fuckin w ya. But it’s bs that women don’t get into trades more. Electrical, plumbing, etc all accessible for weenies like me. Good money too.

definitely true but they also should be balding and paunchy to maintain the brand

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
gently caress doing residential work, there's always assholes occupying the space, demanding more for less and then offering you hot drinks on a hot rear end day.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
I offered my lawn guy a cold drink but all I had on hand was cucumber seltzer water, I think he called me gay in Spanish

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
"Would you like some...hot...coffee?" Op says as his girdle falls to the floor and leaves him nude under his bed robe. "Oops."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i don't watch contractors do their thing cause i know it bugs them but honestly i'm really interested in how they do what they do and if it were acceptable i'd just sit there and watch just out of curiosity

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

The thing is that 'working class' includes people like self employed electricians and plumbers who make more money than most managers or engineers.

The 'class system' in the UK does not make any actual sense, also only a fraction of the 1% count as 'upper class'.

'Upper Middle Class' people might include an army captain on £30,000 odd a year or a banker who is sending four kids to private schools each costing £30,000 a year in fees, it is not really tied to money, more to type of employment and accent.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Patrat posted:

The thing is that 'working class' includes people like self employed electricians and plumbers who make more money than most managers or engineers.

The 'class system' in the UK does not make any actual sense, also only a fraction of the 1% count as 'upper class'.

'Upper Middle Class' people might include an army captain on £30,000 odd a year or a banker who is sending four kids to private schools each costing £30,000 a year in fees, it is not really tied to money, more to type of employment and accent.

there's a million little signifiers and if you grow up english you just soak them into your soul without having to consciously know them - but you are wrong that it doesn't make sense, it makes perfect sense, thinking money and class are intrinsically related is a filthy american sort of idea

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
How many toffs frequent food banks? I'd wager there's pretty strong correlation between class and wealth even in the UK

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Just talk to them like the barman or any other professional person. Hey hi how are ya. Smile. Be normal. Show them the thing. Say "do you want a drink or anything?" They'll mostly say no.
Then just leave them alone.

Also please don't say cuppa ever. It'll blow your cover and expose you as an awkward dweeb. They'll hate you then.
English people truly are the worst. :cripes:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ulex minor posted:

there's a million little signifiers and if you grow up english you just soak them into your soul without having to consciously know them - but you are wrong that it doesn't make sense, it makes perfect sense, thinking money and class are intrinsically related is a filthy american sort of idea

Anyone who identifies themselves or others as a social class is trash and will be taken to the guillotines come the revolution

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hammerite posted:

lol @ the idea of trying to learn about what a country's people are like from anything posted on these forums (particularly DnD)

e:

Zippy the Bummer posted:

wrong, idiot. no.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Patrat posted:

The 'class system' in the UK does not make any actual sense

Does any class system make sense?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Who What Now posted:

Anyone who identifies themselves or others as a social class is trash and will be taken to the guillotines come the revolution

just picture Robespierre shaking his head at this post you made

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

itry posted:

Does any class system make sense?

depends what you mean by "make sense". it can be a social ill (thus not "making sense") at the same time as having an internal logic (thus "making sense")

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Icochet posted:

How many toffs frequent food banks? I'd wager there's pretty strong correlation between class and wealth even in the UK

no the point is you don't have to frequent a food bank even if you have no 'real' wealth since you can live off your name - i'm just making a distinction between your actual salary / the income you have vs. how you are treated

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Icochet posted:

there's actually wealthy people who frequent food banks to stuff their car full of the stuff thinking they're making some kind of point

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

giv em a pint of lager guvna

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

there's actually wealthy people who frequent food banks to stuff their car full of the stuff thinking they're making some kind of point

I thought that was mostly an American thing. I don't think there are many upper-class people visiting food banks here because in general even if they aren't rich they have enough money to feed themselves. and they wouldn't see themselves as "the kind of people" who go to a food bank

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I came into this thread hoping for a symposium on class politics so that's fun

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
Did he have builder's bum OP?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

i don't watch contractors do their thing cause i know it bugs them but honestly i'm really interested in how they do what they do and if it were acceptable i'd just sit there and watch just out of curiosity

I had plumbing work done, the guys expected it to be a massive pain in the rear end but it turned out to be even worse, by day 2 I was doing fetch and carry for them.

I'm sure they shouldn't have done that, if a homeowner got seriously hurt while handing somebody a sawzall it'd be a potential lawsuit. But they were good guys and none of us wanted that poo poo to extend to day 3.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I've had most of my floors re-done and those poor fuckers work super hard, i make sure to have plenty of gatorade and water and run a tub in case they want me to bath them

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Pickwick High posted:

Did he have builder's bum OP?

i averted my eyes once the work began from my own personal shame / respect for his dignity so i cannot tell you

vyst posted:

I came into this thread hoping for a symposium on class politics so that's fun

we're going to sort this all out once and for all

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

is cum a hot beverage?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tom collins’s all around boys. :mmmsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

ulex minor posted:

i averted my eyes once the work began from my own personal shame / respect for his dignity so i cannot tell you.

That's a blatent yes.

Did he have a white van?