Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Double posting ‘cause I’m tying flies this week.

Stocked up on some of my favorite patterns to tie, big tailed Killer Buggers and my micro version of the Muddy Buddy.

Modified my usual pattern for KB’s, I got some SemperFli Straggle Legs last week and wanted to try it out. Basically makes a mock-egg-sucking-leech pattern out of it, I guess? I love killer buggers, and probably fish them more than any other fly, I tie them from size 16 up to size 8 or 10 or so. Mostly keep ‘em around the size 10-12. With a bead for deeper fishing, with a glass bead to lighten them up for subsurface. I like the big tails, I make them from 2 soft hackles of whatever I have laying around (peacock body feathers are my favorite), matched for size and tied in one on each side of the shank. It gives it a parachute effect that slows down the sink rate, as well as keeping more of a vertical profile in the water. Think more like a minnow’s tail and less like a tadpole. Anyway, just about everything will eat them, just about any time of year.

MiniMuddyBuddy.

Muddy Buddy’s are usually a decently big streamer-y thing, like size 4 streamer hooks or so. The spun deer head gives them a good gurgle when they’re stripped through the water, and apparently displaces more water than a normal head, which supposedly triggers more attention in low visibility. I tie up a mini version to use on tenkara rods, and for bluegill and trout. Squirrel zonker tail, some flash, then 3 or 4 wraps of the zonker on the shaft, with chenille in front, a couple rubber legs, then spun deer hair for the head. The real version uses a cone instead of a bead for weight, but I wanted to use my long shank jig hooks, so this run of them have beads. I vary the color of everything when I’m tying bigger ones, but I only have the one color of micro squirrel zonkers right now.

Same fly prior to trimming.

Using spun deer hair is a hoot, but it’s messy as hell and kinda intimidating at first. Once I practiced a few times, it’s fun, and there’s something extremely satisfying about trimming it down to a nice tight head, especially with a razor blade or Xacto knife. Most important thing is to make sure you pack the hell out of it as you go, and to realize that deer hair and bucktail, while looking quite similar, are NOT the same thing.

That's a fantastic post! Beautiful work; thanks for sharing it.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I started fly fishing with tenkara, so I never really tried matching the hatch. The whole “One Fly” thing is really kinda marketing bullshittery from TenkaraUSA; it’s a real thing, but not how most people fish, usually it’s just people that have been doing it for years and try it for a season or two to challenge themselves. Even then, it’s not really just one fly, it’s one pattern, which they’ll fish in a variety of sizes.

My personal take on matching is based on Bob Wyatt’s What Trout Want. Basically, fish don’t care what the fly is, because they’ll hit anything that’s in the water under the right conditions. Far more important is the presentation of the fly, basically where in the water column it’s riding. For really strong hatches, like one that makes you say “Holy poo poo that’s a lot of mayflies I’m inhaling”, he feels there is a certain reflexive trigger brought on to encourage trout to take best advantage of an abundant food source, and that reflex will make them ignore flies that are too different from the ongoing hatch. In those conditions, which are pretty rare, his take is that you do need to match the size and roughly the color of whatever the hatch is, but the pattern is irrelevant. Basically, if it’s about the right size and color (light vs dark, not like the exact Pantone number matching colors), then trout will hit it, as long as it’s in the right spot.

It’s a great book, and I highly recommend picking it up, he’s got tying instructions and illustrations for all the flies he uses. Basically CDC and elk for everything, tied in a couple sizes, and in a couple forms (emergers, drys, wetflies, heavy wets).

This is great info, too. Fish behavior is so important to understand, but there is a lot of bad information out there and people run the risk of convincing themselves of things that aren't necessarily true and long-term gently caress themselves. Thanks for providing a quality source!

So in the past there has been some talk about the possibility of a traveling flybox and/or lure box. Would people participate if I started one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
I would for sure be down with a traveling box, heck I even have some spare boxes I can contribute to get things started.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That sounds like an awesome idea.

Dr. Ozzie: those are gorgeous. I have to go tie a few buggers now.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I would for sure be down with a traveling box, heck I even have some spare boxes I can contribute to get things started.

You're a mensch! This is probably what's going to make me take out my fly rod and practice with it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

That's a fantastic post! Beautiful work; thanks for sharing it.

This is great info, too. Fish behavior is so important to understand, but there is a lot of bad information out there and people run the risk of convincing themselves of things that aren't necessarily true and long-term gently caress themselves. Thanks for providing a quality source!

So in the past there has been some talk about the possibility of a traveling flybox and/or lure box. Would people participate if I started one?

A traveling fly box is such a good idea and I'm in agreement with the rest too.

Keep posting pics if you don't mind they're great!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

You're a mensch! This is probably what's going to make me take out my fly rod and practice with it.

I picked up a Moonlit glass 5wt recently, my first regular fly rod, and holy poo poo is that a different skill set from tenkara. Still working on casting and line management. I can cast fairly consistently in the yard at home, but put some water in front of me and I suddenly have 2 left hands. Still a work in progress.

Here’s some flies from this morning. Home from work with a stomach bug today so I’m tying in a phenergan haze.

Starting on some teeny bugs for the winter box. Dubbing nymphs today, couple are made with straggle legs, the rest are dubbing mixes. Size 16 Fasna wide gape jig hooks from CompetitiveAngler.com. Great place to buy from btw.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I picked up a Moonlit glass 5wt recently, my first regular fly rod, and holy poo poo is that a different skill set from tenkara. Still working on casting and line management. I can cast fairly consistently in the yard at home, but put some water in front of me and I suddenly have 2 left hands. Still a work in progress.

Here’s some flies from this morning. Home from work with a stomach bug today so I’m tying in a phenergan haze.

Starting on some teeny bugs for the winter box. Dubbing nymphs today, couple are made with straggle legs, the rest are dubbing mixes. Size 16 Fasna wide gape jig hooks from CompetitiveAngler.com. Great place to buy from btw.

Many years ago I would fly fish on the Owyhee River with my dad. I remember being able to get the casting rhythm down pretty well and I caught some brown trout on a fly. Dad would point out the holes and after a while I could put them on target. A memory recent enough to remember, but long ago enough to feel beyond rusty.

Dr. Ozzie, if you ever feel up to summarizing some of the jargon and absolute basic concepts of fly tying I'd love to add it to the OP.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Trout are going to bite the poo poo out of that.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Caught some trout on some ugly flies this last weekend, just proof they don't have to be pretty or perfect to work!

I'd be more than happy to participate in a traveling box. I don't know many patterns yet but I can tie plenty of them so everyone can get a few of each.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Many years ago I would fly fish on the Owyhee River with my dad. I remember being able to get the casting rhythm down pretty well and I caught some brown trout on a fly. Dad would point out the holes and after a while I could put them on target. A memory recent enough to remember, but long ago enough to feel beyond rusty.

Dr. Ozzie, if you ever feel up to summarizing some of the jargon and absolute basic concepts of fly tying I'd love to add it to the OP.

I’ll try and crank something out when I get home this evening.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

X-post from the A/T fishing thread by request!

My first mold came in. 5.5" kicker worm mold from angling AI! I am excite :yayclod:. The machining on it is just loving fantastic and I can't wait to start using it. Now if household stuff would stop breaking I could buy the rest of the stuff to start injecting baits. Hopefully I won't need a vacuum chamber with the plastisol I'll be using, but the humidity here in florida may make it necessary. :saddowns:

And for fun, this mold compared to a rabbit ear joy stick from 13 fishing!

The body of the kicker worm is a bit narrower and its a 1/2" shorter. Perfect for throwing on a little shaky head jig or swimming along with a light (1/8-1/4oz) texas rig. Gonna have to experiment with using floating plastics, salt, etc to figure out a desirable mix for various fishing styles I think.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 3, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Also, those of you looking for interesting/unique feathers may want to talk to the folks in the birb thread in PI. They might be willing to send out some feathers when their birbs molt if you paid for the shipping. Parrot feathers would mean some very interesting colors that you normally wouldn't have access to!

Also, do you have a video on how those gravedigger jig heads move in the water kobolds? Do they have an action like a square bill crankbait with that big ol lip?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Also, those of you looking for interesting/unique feathers may want to talk to the folks in the birb thread in PI. They might be willing to send out some feathers when their birbs molt if you paid for the shipping. Parrot feathers would mean some very interesting colors that you normally wouldn't have access to!

Also, do you have a video on how those gravedigger jig heads move in the water kobolds? Do they have an action like a square bill crankbait with that big ol lip?

Previous bird owner: Can confirm this is not a problem at all and many bird owners are happy to share the many, many colorful feathers that happen to be lying around the house. Generally they'll end up in the trash or a craft anyway.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Holy poo poo, great idea about PI feather acquisition! Do we know anybody with an elk ranch or something?

As for the Gravediggers, I don't have video but here what Do-It says about the design:

quote:

"The Grave Digger is one of the most unique jigs you will ever fish. With its unique shovel-head design, the head portion dives down bumping the bottom (aka Grave Digging), thereby mimicking the action of a feeding minnow. Note also that this same action makes the jig resistant to snags."

TBH I haven't fished with them much (this is probably common for people with too much variety in their jig mold collection :rolleyes: ) so I can't offer a whole lot of insight beyond the fact that a motor oil colored plastic crayfish on it wasn't attracting much attention when I tried bouncing them off the bottom. I'll send you some if you want to play around with them, if you'd like.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What sizes do you have made and sitting around? I'll kick you a few bucks for the jigs and shipping in a couple weeks when I get paid next. :haw:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

What sizes do you have made and sitting around? I'll kick you a few bucks for the jigs and shipping in a couple weeks when I get paid next. :haw:

I'm going to heat up some lead this weekend so I'm down to make whatever. I can do 1/8oz on #1 hooks, 1/4oz on 1/0, 3/8oz on 2/0, & 1/2oz on 3/0, painted or not. No bucks necessary unless you want a large quantity. I'd happily accept some of your practice-run plastics in trade!

Let me know if there's anything else that I can make for any of y'all! Goons gotta help goons in this hosed up bullshit hellworld.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I see you bought a rather big mold....

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I see you bought a rather big mold....

And you're about to get another heavy box. :getin:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A couple 1/4oz and 3/8oz ones would be amazing to experiment with. And I'll deffo send you some worms and take video of the jig heads in action if possible. Lemme know when to send you an address. :haw:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

A couple 1/4oz and 3/8oz ones would be amazing to experiment with. And I'll deffo send you some worms and take video of the jig heads in action if possible. Lemme know when to send you an address. :haw:

I'm expecting a new carton of 1/0 hooks this week. :henget: I'll PM you.

This weekend I broke in the new molds that I posted earlier. Here's what I wound up with:

Those are 6oz diamond lures (a preferred design of forums user Lingcodkilla for bottomfish), assorted mooching/kidney sinkers (1, 1.5, 2, 3oz), and assorted storm sinkers (2, 3, 4oz). The molds performed perfectly and I'm getting better at hand-pouring heavier stuff. Most jigs and sinkers under an ounce work great with my bottom-pour lead pot, but anything above that needs a larger pot (preferably that doesn't have a bottom-pour spout at all) and a ladle. None of these came out hosed up and folded so I'm quite pleased.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Whoa are you making your own buzz bombs? Also kidney sinkers would probably be in my top 3 most purchased fishing related item, you're really making me want to get my own set up here. What do you use storm sinkers for?

Wait a sec could I make my own kastmaster spoons?!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Whoa are you making your own buzz bombs? Also kidney sinkers would probably be in my top 3 most purchased fishing related item, you're really making me want to get my own set up here. What do you use storm sinkers for?

Wait a sec could I make my own kastmaster spoons?!

- They're not exactly buzz bombs, but they're similar in design. These would tie off to a line instead of having the line threaded through it like a buzz bomb, but maybe some swivels would change the action? I don't have much experience with either to say for sure. I am a bad Pacific Northwesterner in that sense.

- I don't know if you'd be able to make exact copies of the Kastmaster design, there are certainly molds for casting spoons in a few varieties.

- Storm sinkers are for surf fishing. Supposedly they cast farther and grip sand better than pyramid sinkers.

- Whether or not you decide to get set up pouring lead (and you should, it's really fun), feel free to hit me up for some mooching sinkers. I can fit a lot of them in a small flat-rate box and I'd hate for you to have to pay retail.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUatRhO9OrI

Those loving powders and the color shift glitter look fantastic. A hobby lobby run may be in my future. Apparently I'm still stuck buying the red bait glitter since the craft store stuff bleeds and fucks up with heat. :argh:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
What do ye fly tyers think of the UV hardened clearcoat stuff? I saw it used in a video and it looks pretty neat, but the pricetag at the shop made me think twice about picking some up.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Gooch181 posted:

What do ye fly tyers think of the UV hardened clearcoat stuff? I saw it used in a video and it looks pretty neat, but the pricetag at the shop made me think twice about picking some up.

Personally, I love the stuff. I use Solarez Bone Dry as head cement, and to coat bodies on nymphs. It’s durable, dries tack-free and stays clear. The parent company of Solarez apparently invented the stuff in the first place, for use in dental fillings and topcoats for boats. It’s also usually cheaper than the other brands. I’ve used Loon, and it was OK, but I found it turned cloudy after a while and sometimes didn’t dry all the way, which leaves a tacky gooey residue. That may have been due to the curing light I was using.

Different brands need different wavelengths of UV to cure properly. A good quality light makes a big difference, but you don’t have to spend like $50 on one, just make sure you get one that’s made with one of the cree-type bigger LEDs and not one with a bunch of old fashioned small bulb type LEDs. Any and all will cure in the sun very quickly. Supposedly the fingernail drying lamps on amazon work very well, and are nice if you’re making a lot of flies. They’re made like a little cave and you just toss the flies in there.

Gulff came out with a bunch of colored resins not long ago, and they look amaaaazing for making a lot of flies, especially saltwater crabs and shrimp. Check out @gulffflyfishing on Instagram for some super cool ideas on how to use them. The Gulff resins are a little pricey, but they have colors nobody else does. Solarez just came out with a colored resin line, and they’re quite a bit cheaper. I’ve only used some off-brand colored resin and I wasn’t impressed with it. Color was strong, but it’s super thick and hard to work with. I plan on picking up some of the Gulff and Solarez ones eventually, but yeah, that price tag kinda holds me back every time.

There’s a couple different kinds overall. Thin/hard is used to make a tough shell coating without a lot of volume. Thick/hard is good for building up bodies for sculpted flies or more volume. Then there’s flex resins, which dry to where they’re not tacky, but remain flexible. They’re best for flies that are going to get a lot of flex or movement, but I haven’t really played with them yet. There’s also a flexier version that’s made for wader repair, dries almost instantly in the sun. Handy stuff to have around, and Loon sells like little ketchup packets of it to carry on stream with you.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hi, I bought 6,900 nice hooks this week, all Mustad :norway:, old stock but sealed boxes. I was planning on buying 0, but somebody on eBay bought the contents of an old tackle shop at auction and was willing to make a hell of a package deal. I'm so loving pleased right now. :peanut:

Elmnt80 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUatRhO9OrI

Those loving powders and the color shift glitter look fantastic. A hobby lobby run may be in my future. Apparently I'm still stuck buying the red bait glitter since the craft store stuff bleeds and fucks up with heat. :argh:

I'm going to have to spend some time watching this channel. Also, have you seen any molds that look similar to Gulp sandworms? People up here swear by them for surf perch.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went by a few hobby shops on my break from work. I remember why I don't buy from them, holy poo poo overpriced. Literally double or more what a dedicated lure making shop charges for mica powders. I might try going back if I want to spice up some basic patterns with fancy glitters or something, but its looking likeI'll just buy 99% of my supplies online through dedicated lure making suppliers. :shrug:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 8, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hi, I bought 6,900 nice hooks this week, all Mustad :norway:, old stock but sealed boxes. I was planning on buying 0, but somebody on eBay bought the contents of an old tackle shop at auction and was willing to make a hell of a package deal. I'm so loving pleased right now. :peanut:

Nice score!

quote:

I'm going to have to spend some time watching this channel. Also, have you seen any molds that look similar to Gulp sandworms? People up here swear by them for surf perch.

The closest thing I can think of is a hellgrammite mold. Maybe trim the legs and see how it looks?

http://www.basstackle.com/6_Hellgrammite_p/564-kj-2.htm

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh hello.... That's a lot of hooks.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh hello.... That's a lot of hooks.

It is definitely a lot of hooks, but they are in several sizes. Some of my jig molds make six different weights and each one takes a different sized hook. Others only make two weights and can use two different sized hooks interchangeably. It's something to pay attention to when shopping for molds, otherwise you may receive it and realize that you need hooks/inserts/swivels/blades/etc that you don't have. It has certainly happened to me.

Elmnt80 posted:

The closest thing I can think of is a hellgrammite mold. Maybe trim the legs and see how it looks?

http://www.basstackle.com/6_Hellgrammite_p/564-kj-2.htm

You know, if anything I think the legs would be a little more action to get their attention. Redtails are ready biters when you're on them, but finding them can be tricky sometimes because the Pacific Ocean is real big. Only problem is that they might be a little long. I could always cut them in half, but the body tapers off so much that it wouldn't really seem like halves. It's a start though, so thanks! I need to start paying more attention to making plastics. I've planned on that being my winter project and it's starting to get cold.

What's your take on putting scent in the plastics?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'll probably be putting coffee scent in the plastic and lure bags like strike king. If nothing else it keeps the human stank off the lures.

My first attempt will be without salt though. Probably a few of my first attempts. Partly because I'll be using a floating plastic blend and partly because the salt adds moisture to the mix and makes the lure cloudy. I'm not willing to drop a few hundo on a vacuum chamber just yet. Not until I figure out how I like doing this at least.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Oh boy, this thread finally exists! I haven't even read through yet, and I don't really have anything to contribute rn even though I tied last night, cause I didn't take any pics, so I'm just checking in to say that I'm super stoked. I did buy $200 worth of jig hooks and tungsten beads yesterday, and I have a gallon bag of our Rhode Island Red rooster's tail feathers from his first molt (they're beautiful). Idk if the pic does it justice, but they're that iridescent kind of green that appears black. I was able to cop some hackle off his saddle feathers, but not a lot since he was free ranging at that time, although those look great too.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 10, 2019

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Glass rods are so, so fun. you gotta just cast sloooooo(ooo...)wly, and enjoy that deep bend when you got one on! They're so slow, man-- seriously, just check your watch on the back cast or something (or just actually look back and watch your line-- you'll have time).

e: Incidentally, try double hauling on your glass rod if you're down with that kind of stuff. Feels better to me even for short casts

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 10, 2019

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

My personal take on matching is based on Bob Wyatt’s What Trout Want. Basically, fish don’t care what the fly is, because they’ll hit anything that’s in the water under the right conditions. Far more important is the presentation of the fly, basically where in the water column it’s riding. For really strong hatches, like one that makes you say “Holy poo poo that’s a lot of mayflies I’m inhaling”, he feels there is a certain reflexive trigger brought on to encourage trout to take best advantage of an abundant food source, and that reflex will make them ignore flies that are too different from the ongoing hatch. In those conditions, which are pretty rare, his take is that you do need to match the size and roughly the color of whatever the hatch is, but the pattern is irrelevant. Basically, if it’s about the right size and color (light vs dark, not like the exact Pantone number matching colors), then trout will hit it, as long as it’s in the right spot.

I experienced those exact conditions today! I was using some gross euro nypmh type tackle oriented towards taking fish that got stocked 2 days ago, and my uncle, who used to guide fly fishing in Western North Carolina but hadn't fished for trout one day since he retired to Florida in 2011 out fished me in one particular pool because he observed a small (in size, not presence, cause they were really coming off) mayfly hatch, matched that hatch (from his probably 20 year old fly box) with a size 18 Light Cayhill and coaxed 3 trout out of cover to smash the single, imitative dry fly he was showing them in a stretch of river that I had already fished. It's called trout being "keyed" in the vernacular, and it's real poo poo. I caught more and bigger fish than him, but that was a stern and humbling reminder that he is better than me at fly fishing, and that he wasn't really trying for volume of fish, but just chasing that satisfaction of watching a trout come up for the dry and knowing his poo poo to make it happen.

e: and he wasn't fishing it especially well. He was rusty. That was one of few times that I have seen expert fly selection really pay off, and it was fuckin' sick

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 10, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I'll probably be putting coffee scent in the plastic and lure bags like strike king. If nothing else it keeps the human stank off the lures.

My first attempt will be without salt though. Probably a few of my first attempts. Partly because I'll be using a floating plastic blend and partly because the salt adds moisture to the mix and makes the lure cloudy. I'm not willing to drop a few hundo on a vacuum chamber just yet. Not until I figure out how I like doing this at least.

Awesome. I wasn't even aware of the vacuum chamber aspect of the process, so I clearly have more homework to do. I'm really stoked to hear about your experiments, though. I think once you start catching fish with stuff that you've made it will seem all the more worthwhile.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Oh boy, this thread finally exists!

Oh hell yeah, thanks for finding the thread!

What do y'all think of this fly vise for basic stuff like bucktail and marabou jigs? I'm not going to be working with tiny #18 hooks or anything like that, so it seems like any advantages offered by a more precision model would be wasted on me.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
It's pretty similar to the one I got. I've got no complaints with this one so far.
Terra Rotary Vise

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

It's pretty similar to the one I got. I've got no complaints with this one so far.
Terra Rotary Vise

The Stonfo Airone is cheap and burly, and has changeable vise jaws.

A++ would tie on again.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm seeing $200 and thinking that I can make it work with needle nose pliers if I have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I tie on a Danvise which isn't too expensive. You can change the jaws out, and I like it quite a bit/would recommend it. One thing I do know is that you WILL want rotary functionality at some point in time

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 12, 2019