Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm seeing $200 and thinking that I can make it work with needle nose pliers if I have to.

You can find the Airone for a lot less than $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I know nothing about the hobby except that you all use feathers and, well, I have two green birds that are going through a molt right now. Dunno if these would be of use to any of you, but just ask and I'll stuff an envelope with some little green feathers.

If not, oh well, I enjoy seeing your pictures of the craft.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm still too new to know what's what, but I'm certain someone will have something rad to do with them. I have another birdgoon sending me some molt feathers to mess with.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

I know nothing about the hobby except that you all use feathers and, well, I have two green birds that are going through a molt right now. Dunno if these would be of use to any of you, but just ask and I'll stuff an envelope with some little green feathers.

I'm sure pinto and/or peanut feathers would be in high demand to tie flies with and catch all the fish. Hopefully some fly fishing goon accepts your offer.

PS: Your birbs are adorable.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

Sure. I値l give them a whirl. They look like cape feathers, so why not?

Shoot over a PM?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

PM Sent!

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm sure pinto and/or peanut feathers would be in high demand to tie flies with and catch all the fish. Hopefully some fly fishing goon accepts your offer.

PS: Your birbs are adorable.

thanks :kimchi: Between all the bird crazies I'm sure there would be a ton who are in on mailing some feathers to be put to use, too.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

PM Sent!

thanks :kimchi: Between all the bird crazies I'm sure there would be a ton who are in on mailing some feathers to be put to use, too.

Personally, I love that this thread has united the fly tiers and the birb crazies! Share what you've got and you'll never want. My dad always used to say that. No, wait, that wasn't my dad, that was the diner cook from I Accuse My Parents. Still, he's right.

Anyone make anything recently? I wanted to pour some trolling sinkers but it's supposed to be wet and windy all weekend. I work outdoors with liquid metals, and a raindrop in a pot of hot lead is a steam bomb. Maybe I'm bottling cider this weekend instead. :sigh:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I had a dream I found a 2 foot long feather that was a beautiful color I'd never seen before and I was excited to tie the perfect fly with it

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

This weeks scrounging mission was a rousing success. I hit up the thrift shops for some of the equipment for pouring plastics and did well. Since I need to make a list, I'll do it here so anyone else looking at doing this can get an idea of what they need. Some of the safety gear is just me being overly cautious, but thats just my nature.

Edit: And I just scored a barely used microwave off facebook marketplace for $30. About 1 month more and I should be ready to pour my first batch of plastics. :toot:

Sourced from Thrift shops/Craigslist/Facebook:
4x Cake spatulas for stirring plastics (Knives were my backup plan)
2x Borosilicate 2c measuring cups (Modern ones are soda lime which doesn't handle temp changes/thermal shock as well. Actual glass beakers also work since they tend to be borosil)
1x 900w microwave from facebook marketplace (very lightly used, half the price of a new one)

Retail stores/online:
Measuring spoons down to 1/8tsp (1/4 was as low as I was planning on looking for, but for $5 I ain't complaining)

Sourced from work:
1x Mechanics gloves because gently caress handling hot glass bare handed
1x 3m chemical spill safety googles
1x Respirator with replaceable Organic Vapor filters
1x free.99 plastic organization rack that was an old display :toot:

Still on the list:
1x Heatgun (Need to hit up a friend to nab his or check a pawn shop that takes tools)
1x some kind of plastic safe lube for the mold and injector (Worm oil works, but I want someone more effective if possible.)
Plastic bags and labels
Plastisol, dyes, powders, glitter, scent, salt, etc
1x Injector (I'm being a baby and waiting to buy a specific one with a locking tip for safety's sake. The cheapo chinesium jobs on ebay/amazon lack this.)

And a vijeyo for those that want it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVCUCWX6fU

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 20, 2019

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Hey gamera009, sorry for the delay. Sent the feathers in the mail. I tried to put in a decent variety, but was largely dependent on what the birds felt like giving up lol

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey gamera009, sorry for the delay. Sent the feathers in the mail. I tried to put in a decent variety, but was largely dependent on what the birds felt like giving up lol

Not a problem! I'll be sure to take pictures of what I tie up.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I had a dream I found a 2 foot long feather that was a beautiful color I'd never seen before and I was excited to tie the perfect fly with it

Sounds like you need to find someone who has a macaw! They come in all sorts of colors and their tail feathers are easily over a foot long, sometimes two.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Personally, I love that this thread has united the fly tiers and the birb crazies! Share what you've got and you'll never want. My dad always used to say that. No, wait, that wasn't my dad, that was the diner cook from I Accuse My Parents. Still, he's right.

Anyone make anything recently? I wanted to pour some trolling sinkers but it's supposed to be wet and windy all weekend. I work outdoors with liquid metals, and a raindrop in a pot of hot lead is a steam bomb. Maybe I'm bottling cider this weekend instead. :sigh:

Got your bars. They are beautiful. I wanna spray them with some gloss to prevent the lead from going dull. I should paint a few white with stripes or something too.

Now I gotta do some research on paint good for this application.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Going to try this later today. We値l see how well it works.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gamera009 posted:

Going to try this later today. We値l see how well it works.

:kimchi: I hope the feathers are usable. Good luck, and thanks for letting me contribute

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
A birdgoon sent me some stuff! I'm excited to work with these neat colors. The short feathers at the bottom I know will work for snazzy tails; what should I use the longer ones for?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

A birdgoon sent me some stuff! I'm excited to work with these neat colors. The short feathers at the bottom I know will work for snazzy tails; what should I use the longer ones for?

Ooooh, I really love the powdery blue ones in the upper right.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

The longer ones can be stripped for tails for smaller nymphs or dries. I知 going to try to use a few for some hazes. I built up a super buggy buggier bugger, but we値l have to wait a week or two before I can get out to big enough water for streamers.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Pretty much what I had in mind for our rooster's tail as I was picking them up and putting them in the freezer after he molted-- as you can see, it perfectly imitates my gameing set up

e:

Gooch181 posted:

those are stunning! depending on how big they are, you could use them as a tail/body combo in a generic guide style baetis imitation like what I posted. That's just about 8 fibers from one tail feather tied in right where the hook shank starts to curve and then counter wrapped back up to the bead

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 7, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hey thread, what's crackin? Life has been too hosed up to think about tacklecraft for a while, but I'm back and loving the flies with goon-sourced birb feathers. Anybody have any more to post?

gamera009 posted:

You can find the Airone for a lot less than $200.

Can you point me in the right direction? The cheapest I can find is $150 from a seller in Poland.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Can you point me in the right direction? The cheapest I can find is $150 from a seller in Poland.

I mostly had an alert set up through google. Found a great deal on eBay.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Hey thread, what's crackin? Life has been too hosed up to think about tacklecraft for a while, but I'm back and loving the flies with goon-sourced birb feathers. Anybody have any more to post?

A Peak Rotary is a great option, too. I had one for several years, until my wife got me my beautiful, beautiful Regal vise for my birthday this year. Solid quality vise, lots of options for add-ons and stuff, and optional midge jaws. They池e a solid vise for about $150. The non-rotary is about $95.

Danvise is supposed to be good quality vises for the money, at about $110, but I don稚 have any first-hand experience with them.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hey thread! We're approaching the guts of holiday season. Is this the perfect time to kick off the traveling flybox or the worst?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'd say maybe just after the season? Sales are going on right now but with all the boxes on doorsteps it's the best time of year for porch pirates. I'd hate for the thread contributions to suddenly stop because it was my turn and whoever likes stealing boxes in my apartment complex happened to take the traveling flybox.

It mostly seems to happen over the holiday shopping times. If nothing else I could just wait for the New Year for it to be my turn.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

I'd say maybe just after the season? Sales are going on right now but with all the boxes on doorsteps it's the best time of year for porch pirates. I'd hate for the thread contributions to suddenly stop because it was my turn and whoever likes stealing boxes in my apartment complex happened to take the traveling flybox.

It mostly seems to happen over the holiday shopping times. If nothing else I could just wait for the New Year for it to be my turn.

Oh yeah, good call. Between the normal holidays and porch thievery, maybe mid-January.

Speaking of porch thieves, last year somebody took a box off my porch, opened it to discover that there were two Do-It molds in it, and then threw the open box with the molds still in it in my bushes. Thank goodness for weird-looking tools that junkies don't understand.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Lmfao
Fly tying classes start in January!

I can't want!

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 6, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dude, you're gonna be a fuckin' pro! Early January is also going to be when I order my soft bait kit, so there's going to be a whole lot of learning happening ITT. Hopefully it doesn't involve serious molten plastic burns.

In case anyone was wondering (I sure was), I had lead levels tested in my blood when I went to the doctor last month. Barely any present, well within the healthy range! So if you're thinking about melting lead as a hobby, it's perfectly safe with the proper precautions.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dude, you're gonna be a fuckin' pro! Early January is also going to be when I order my soft bait kit, so there's going to be a whole lot of learning happening ITT. Hopefully it doesn't involve serious molten plastic burns.

In case anyone was wondering (I sure was), I had lead levels tested in my blood when I went to the doctor last month. Barely any present, well within the healthy range! So if you're thinking about melting lead as a hobby, it's perfectly safe with the proper precautions.

This good. Very good. Should I buy you a mold of my favorite salt water grub?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

5 gallons of floating worm blend plastic, a couple green dyes, a couple purple dyes and some coffee scent landed on my front porch yesterday. Just waiting for the injector, other dyes, powder and glitter to arrive. :getin:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Is coffee used because it's a potent scent in general, or because fish are specifically attracted to it?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Both imo. Its pungent enough to mask the human/plastic stink from making and handling the baits and bass do seem to have an attraction to coffee. I was hoping for more of a strike king coffee scent, this is more coffee thats had fish in it for a week. It reeks in a very special way.

The rest of my colors and 10 jars of glitter came in. Im in the process now of setting up a space on my porch to do this in. Once my injector gets here, I can start pouring baits. Now to decide what I mix first.

Colors:
Deadon Dark Melon
Deadon Green Pumpkin
Deadon Purple
Deadon Junebug
MF Dark Watermelon
MF Black
MF White

Glitter:
Red
Blue
Green
Gold
Silver
Black

Powder:
Blue Highlight/Sheen
Blue/Green Colorshift

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh most definitely. 3-5" twin-tail grub, right? Let me see what kind of mold options are out there. My default is Do-It, of course, but there may be other viable (and perhaps better) options out there.

Elmnt80 posted:

5 gallons of floating worm blend plastic, a couple green dyes, a couple purple dyes and some coffee scent landed on my front porch yesterday. Just waiting for the injector, other dyes, powder and glitter to arrive. :getin:

You magnificent son of a bitch. :hellyeah: Really looking forward to swapping recipes and making any weird jigs to experiment with.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I support whatever efforts that keep me from paying $8 for a pack of senkos.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I support whatever efforts that keep me from paying $8 for a pack of senkos.
Don't worry, I'll be feeling guilty about only sending three dozen senkos for $8 soon enough.

:siren: The 2020 Do-It catalog is out :siren:
Request a hard copy here. It makes for excellent toilet reading.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Do-It has a 2-cavity 4" "Glade Grub" design for $70. Apparently glade grubs differ from regular grubs due to its thinner body. Supposedly this would make it better around rocks and cover, so it may matter to you.

Basstackle.com has this 2-cavity 5" twin tail grub mold for $80. Seems pretty straightforward.

Lurecraft has a 4-cavity 5" twin tail grub mold for $90. Seems straightforward also, and being able to double production per injection seems worth an extra $10 to me.

These look about right to you?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

When I get home I値l pull out a measuring tape to my favorites.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You may also want to keep in mind that saltwater baits usually use a much harder blend of plastic compared to a freshwater bait to hold up to toothy mouths taking a nip.

Also, what injector did you get (or are planning to get) kobolds? Most of the locking tip style ones I looked at were out of stock. I finally found an 8oz tip one, but I'm still waiting on them to make/ship that fucker.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

You may also want to keep in mind that saltwater baits usually use a much harder blend of plastic compared to a freshwater bait to hold up to toothy mouths taking a nip.

Also, what injector did you get (or are planning to get) kobolds? Most of the locking tip style ones I looked at were out of stock. I finally found an 8oz tip one, but I'm still waiting on them to make/ship that fucker.

The starter kit that I'm getting from Do-It comes with a medium size injector, which I take to mean their 6 oz model. It's not a locking tip, but I can certainly see the value in having one. That said, locking tips seem pretty uncommon, so while I can appreciate the peace of mind that comes with that, I don't know if it's entirely necessary.

And yeah, I'm stoked to start blending plastic, adding flaked salt, and generally seizing the means of production. :kheldragar:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh man all those fancy tails aren稚 really needed and are usually gone after a fish or two. I use crappy sized plastics for my teaser hook and just replace them as needed. As long as a small chunk is left (white for high vis) they catch dumb rockfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Do you think that a plastic pork rind would do the trick?