Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

This is a thread about making things with which to catch fish. It's also a thread for trading materials and finished flies and lures, but if you're trying to sell things for profit you should probably take it to SA Mart.

Post your projects, your questions, and advice for people getting started. I'll be updating the poo poo out of this OP, so please contribute content for it! Especially about tying flies, I don't know dick about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I mostly work with lead.

These were some of the first things I made when I picked up the hobby: 3/8 oz walking sinkers and crappie jigs.

Some of the jig mold designs out there are pretty unique. This one is a Gravedigger jig made with a mold from Do-It.

For my money, Do-It makes the best lead molds on the market. There are other mold companies out there (Palmer, Li'l Mac, Herters back in the day), but I wouldn't gently caress with any of those unless you have a specific reason.

Here are the molds that I have at the moment. Feel free to ask questions; I could talk about this poo poo all day but never know where to begin.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 21, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Glad someone started a thread for this.

Just wanted to say that people learning to tie could do what I do and tie with stuff you find in the craft department at Wal-mart or dollar store and stuff you find outside: feathers from chickens or pet ducks and hair from dogs, cats, goats, cows, and horses. Some of the fancier fly tying materials are too expensive and you can emulate most of them with cheaper alternatives.

Do not make anything out of feathers of wild birds, even if you just find it on the ground. The feathers may be pretty, but it's probably illegal to possess - especially if they are from migratory birds.

And I always pinch my barbs down - especially if I'm whipping them around on a fly rod.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 21, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Unperson_47 posted:

Glad someone started a thread for this.

And I always pinch my barbs down - especially if I'm whipping them around on a fly rod.

Same, this thread is awesome. That Do-It website is blownig my mind right now. I'm also in the 100% pinch my barbs down and my dad always gives me poo poo for it but in all the years I've been doing it I haven't lost fish for it.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I have 1 billion chicken feathers if anyone can use them

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I know how to tie like 3 flies but I am looking forward to trying more now that I've inherited an actual bench!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

I'm gonna set my vise up for the first time this upcoming week after I get some thread and some wire for wooly buggers.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Didn't get time to document making any new stuff over the weekend, so here's some pics of stuff I have laying around.

These are brand new molds. I'll treat them with some Drop-Out before I use them, but this is as pretty as they get.

Some unpainted flathead jigs of various size. These ones have DuraTin hooks specifically for saltwater.

A bunch of unpainted roundhead jigs of various size.

Brass zonar lures. Well, they will be with some split rings and hooks.

Tub 'o Midwest Finesse. Some with hosed up paint!

Midwest Finesse detail. Owner hook on the left, Mustad hook on the right. Owner hooks are far more expensive and I'm sincerely curious how much of a difference it makes.

Powder painting is sort of tricky to get the hang of. The concept is simple, but it does take some practice to do good paint consistently.

Dang, I'm running low on walking sinkers. I should make more.

Heavier stuff, like cannonball sinkers and an in-line trolling sinker that I'm probably going to melt and recast. See the weird folds in the metal? You don't want that. The lead started cooling before it could properly form, caused in part by my lovely ladle and an unbroken-in mold.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

I have 1 billion chicken feathers if anyone can use them

Replied in the other thread, but I will totally take feathers - especially rooster hackle. Out here, it's pretty much pheasant tail nymphs, duracell jigs, and parachutes for days. Chicken feathers are super versatile and excellent tying materials for a ton of things.

Especially rooster hackle. Saddle and cape hackle is something I tear through when tying. Other hackle is good, but the hackle feathers I tear through every season. It sucks to buy $50 in feathers and then realize you're down a giant pad because you're tying so many flies for yourself and your buddies.

At least now I get them to buy the loving materials. :colbert:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Xpost from the other thread re:materials

the yeti posted:

Well squirrel and rabbit season is about to open, if I end up with any tails or ears kicking around I’ll post here

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I need to pay more attention to materials and tying methods and such. Bucktail and marabou jigs are perennial classics, and the only thing that's stopping me from making them is inexperience. Also tools and knowledge. :v:

Does anyone have any advice on things to specifically avoid when looking for materials? My understanding is that craft store feathers usually have lovely dye that washes out in water, but are any worth loving with?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

you're in luck. I've just opened a new store selling bespoke artisinal, locally organically grown feathers. I shall post some pictures of my currently available stock once I have time to responsibly harvest some from my free-range feather growers.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's really cool! I'm now very curious about responsible feather harvesting.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

That's really cool! I'm now very curious about responsible feather harvesting.

I think that if you do it right you get some eggs with the deal.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Same, this thread is awesome. That Do-It website is blownig my mind right now. I'm also in the 100% pinch my barbs down and my dad always gives me poo poo for it but in all the years I've been doing it I haven't lost fish for it.

I should really get into the habit of pinching down my barbs since salmon regs so frequently require it. Also, if you're digging the Do-It stuff, you should totally request a free print catalog. It's a great toilet read.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
After goring a few fish who swallowed my flies real deep, I've debarbed my stuff. I caught my personal best immediately after and didn't have any trouble keeping it; that made me feel even better about it. However I did the same to my wife's hook on a spinner, and it kept allowing her worms to fall off.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

After goring a few fish who swallowed my flies real deep, I've debarbed my stuff. I caught my personal best immediately after and didn't have any trouble keeping it; that made me feel even better about it. However I did the same to my wife's hook on a spinner, and it kept allowing her worms to fall off.

When you say spinner, are you talking about a lure like a Mepps Aglia or a rod and reel? If rod and reel, you could swap out the hook that she used for a baitholder hook. You could pinch the barb and still have the little spurs (or whatever they're called) on the shank. If you're talking about a spinner lure, I'm not sure whether or not swapping out the treble hook would affect the action. I hope not, because gently caress treble hooks all of the time.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I meant rod/reel; thanks, I'll have to find some of those hooks.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
One of my favorite materials to use is Jamieson’s Shetland Spindrift yarn. It’s got really nice translucency when it’s wet, plus really buggy variegated colors. Best colors I’ve used are the Autumn and Buttercup. Mostly use them for Killer Bugs and Killer Buggers, which seem to work well everywhere I fish. It’s fairly durable, cheap, and a skein is basically a lifetime supply of any given color.

Autumn

Autumn, buttercup, and some blue color I forget the name of offhand.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:allears:

Beautiful work. This is the good poo poo.

Gooch181 posted:

I meant rod/reel; thanks, I'll have to find some of those hooks.

No problem! They're really common. Also and for what it's worth, I've had best luck with worms when I really gob them up on the hook, securely skewering them over the hook a bunch of times and covering it that way, especially when fishing off the bottom with a Carolina rig or similar. In fact, one of the reasons I started pouring lead was for egg and walking sinkers for bottomfishing rigs. Being able to dial in the particular weight you need can be a huge advantage.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Alright, I poked around a bit today and here's what I've got at the moment. I'm guessing y'all don't want bigass wing feathers, so most of the current floof looks like one of these two:

A lot of the birbs are still growing their adult feathers so I'll have more variety once that happens.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

I'm doing a thing! Took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to load my bobbin, but I'm on my way.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Forgive my double post, but I have breaking news!
I present the Wu Tang Wooly Bugger, made exclusively from whatever random stuff I had.

It sure ain't neat, and it sure ain't pretty, but it's a start!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

I present the Wu Tang Wooly Bugger, made exclusively from whatever random stuff I had.

HELL YES! :neckbeard: It's going to feel so loving good when you catch a fish on that. And you will catch a fish on that, 'cause fish are gonna gently caress with it. They will want to know the secrets of the Wu Tang.

Please do not worry about double posting in this thread! It needs as many posts as it can get, and project updates are like the entire point.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Wu Tang Bugger ain't nothing to gently caress with! Catching Record Exciting Actinopterygii, Mainly CREAM catch and release yall

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm kind of expecting it to unravel when cast, because I'm far from certain I did the whip finish correctly.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

I'm kind of expecting it to unravel when cast, because I'm far from certain I did the whip finish correctly.

There's always superglue.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Gooch181 posted:

That will absolutely catch fish. As a general rule, the fuglier the fly, the more fish like it. Try putting your hook in the vise so the shank is level may help you keep stuff in place while you’re tying. You’re off to a good start, keep at it!

There’s nothing like catching that first fish on a fly you tied yourself.

Ghostnuke posted:

Alright, I poked around a bit today and here's what I've got at the moment. I'm guessing y'all don't want bigass wing feathers, so most of the current floof looks like one of these two:

A lot of the birbs are still growing their adult feathers so I'll have more variety once that happens.

Those would both make very nice soft hackles. Also, if you take primary flight feathers and split the quill, the shorter bits from the leading edge are biots, and they’re used for all kinds of things, like legs on Prince nymphs and wrapped for nymph bodies. Also can use matched fibers from primaries for making wings and some fancy salmon flies, but I’ve never used them.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ok, I'll start saving feathers then. Maybe I can fill up baby priority mail boxes and send them out.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Ok, I'll start saving feathers then. Maybe I can fill up baby priority mail boxes and send them out.

Man, I love priority mail for shipping lead products but it seems like you could completely fill an envelope with feathers and not require more than a single stamp. Really nice of you to offer up the feathers, though! I hope that sort of helping each other out will become common ITT. I'm certainly happy to help anyone out with any materials that I have laying around, just ask.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

That will absolutely catch fish. As a general rule, the fuglier the fly, the more fish like it.

Now, I've heard people both stress the "match the hatch" angle as well as the "you're better off using anything except for matching the hatch since you want to offer the fish something different to bite since they're used to the hatch." There's no shortage of contradictory advice and information out there in fishing world, but this is very much something that people have strong opinions about. What's your take on this, keeping their fugly fly preference in mind?

quote:

There’s nothing like catching that first fish on a fly you tied yourself.

I've never caught a fish on a fly that I tied, but catching a dinky yellow perch for the first time freelining a jighead that I made and painted was a profoundly gratifying experience.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Anyone have a hot source for picking up a bunch of fly hooks, or should I just continue to buy the mustad packets at the shop?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

Anyone have a hot source for picking up a bunch of fly hooks, or should I just continue to buy the mustad packets at the shop?

Dial in exactly what you need in terms of size and style with the packets from the shop, then order boxes of 1,000 of your preferred hooks from one of many online suppliers. Check eBay, too. It's not always wildly consistent, but you can find some gems there sometimes.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Now, I've heard people both stress the "match the hatch" angle as well as the "you're better off using anything except for matching the hatch since you want to offer the fish something different to bite since they're used to the hatch." There's no shortage of contradictory advice and information out there in fishing world, but this is very much something that people have strong opinions about. What's your take on this, keeping their fugly fly preference in mind?

It seems to me that you would want to match what they're feeding on, but add a little extra for attention. Like if you're throwing a shad look alike, maybe add a small spinner to set it apart.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Well the other one was clearly Ol' Dirty Bastard. Is this Raekwon?

Ghostnuke posted:

It seems to me that you would want to match what they're feeding on, but add a little extra for attention. Like if you're throwing a shad look alike, maybe add a small spinner to set it apart.

I wonder if this has anything to do with my predilection towards yellow perch pattern lures. Everything eats those (me included).

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

I kept breaking the little feathers I was trying to use to add the wooly leggy fuzz. Internet was out so I was just freestyling it. I picked up some beads, different threads, and some olive colored materials to play with. I also got some nymph hooks, to try making some of those.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Been tying duracells like mad lately. Super productive jig pattern out here.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Looks good! Maybe I'll have to try to do something like that. What hooks you using?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

Looks good! Maybe I'll have to try to do something like that. What hooks you using?

Standard offset jig hooks with a slotted bead. I think they’re Tiemco size 14s.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I started fly fishing with tenkara, so I never really tried matching the hatch. The whole “One Fly” thing is really kinda marketing bullshittery from TenkaraUSA; it’s a real thing, but not how most people fish, usually it’s just people that have been doing it for years and try it for a season or two to challenge themselves. Even then, it’s not really just one fly, it’s one pattern, which they’ll fish in a variety of sizes.

My personal take on matching is based on Bob Wyatt’s What Trout Want. Basically, fish don’t care what the fly is, because they’ll hit anything that’s in the water under the right conditions. Far more important is the presentation of the fly, basically where in the water column it’s riding. For really strong hatches, like one that makes you say “Holy poo poo that’s a lot of mayflies I’m inhaling”, he feels there is a certain reflexive trigger brought on to encourage trout to take best advantage of an abundant food source, and that reflex will make them ignore flies that are too different from the ongoing hatch. In those conditions, which are pretty rare, his take is that you do need to match the size and roughly the color of whatever the hatch is, but the pattern is irrelevant. Basically, if it’s about the right size and color (light vs dark, not like the exact Pantone number matching colors), then trout will hit it, as long as it’s in the right spot.

It’s a great book, and I highly recommend picking it up, he’s got tying instructions and illustrations for all the flies he uses. Basically CDC and elk for everything, tied in a couple sizes, and in a couple forms (emergers, drys, wetflies, heavy wets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Double posting ‘cause I’m tying flies this week.

Stocked up on some of my favorite patterns to tie, big tailed Killer Buggers and my micro version of the Muddy Buddy.

Modified my usual pattern for KB’s, I got some SemperFli Straggle Legs last week and wanted to try it out. Basically makes a mock-egg-sucking-leech pattern out of it, I guess? I love killer buggers, and probably fish them more than any other fly, I tie them from size 16 up to size 8 or 10 or so. Mostly keep ‘em around the size 10-12. With a bead for deeper fishing, with a glass bead to lighten them up for subsurface. I like the big tails, I make them from 2 soft hackles of whatever I have laying around (peacock body feathers are my favorite), matched for size and tied in one on each side of the shank. It gives it a parachute effect that slows down the sink rate, as well as keeping more of a vertical profile in the water. Think more like a minnow’s tail and less like a tadpole. Anyway, just about everything will eat them, just about any time of year.

MiniMuddyBuddy.

Muddy Buddy’s are usually a decently big streamer-y thing, like size 4 streamer hooks or so. The spun deer head gives them a good gurgle when they’re stripped through the water, and apparently displaces more water than a normal head, which supposedly triggers more attention in low visibility. I tie up a mini version to use on tenkara rods, and for bluegill and trout. Squirrel zonker tail, some flash, then 3 or 4 wraps of the zonker on the shaft, with chenille in front, a couple rubber legs, then spun deer hair for the head. The real version uses a cone instead of a bead for weight, but I wanted to use my long shank jig hooks, so this run of them have beads. I vary the color of everything when I’m tying bigger ones, but I only have the one color of micro squirrel zonkers right now.

Same fly prior to trimming.

Using spun deer hair is a hoot, but it’s messy as hell and kinda intimidating at first. Once I practiced a few times, it’s fun, and there’s something extremely satisfying about trimming it down to a nice tight head, especially with a razor blade or Xacto knife. Most important thing is to make sure you pack the hell out of it as you go, and to realize that deer hair and bucktail, while looking quite similar, are NOT the same thing.