Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Do you think that a plastic pork rind would do the trick?

A plastic cocktail weenie would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gently caress, now I'm just picturing a flathead jig with a tiny dildo threaded up the hook.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress, now I'm just picturing a flathead jig with a tiny dildo threaded up the hook.

Yeah that would work. Give it some of those brushy whiskers form pubes.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

God help us all if I ever get a CNC mill.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They're only like 50k for a used one, totally affordable.

Also, my injector has arrived. And I picked up some medium purple glitter from the hobby store as an experiment. Too bad I work fuckoff hours for the next week.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

God help us all if I ever get a CNC mill.

Is there a lost wax casting analogue for when you’re out to make molds instead of a positive of the design?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

the yeti posted:

Is there a lost wax casting analogue for when you’re out to make molds instead of a positive of the design?

3D Printer? I'll print some molds if someone wants to test out the process.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yooper posted:

3D Printer? I'll print some molds if someone wants to test out the process.

I guess I assumed 3d print materials wouldn’t OK don’t be heat safe since the molds seemed to be metal.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

3D printed molds work fine if a high temp plastic is used. The higher end stuff is aluminum (billet or cast) for durability and long term usability. After a while soapstone and 3d printed start to break down. The same thing happens with silicone open pour molds.

Also, the layering on 3D printed molds means the bait has a rough surface, which most home pourers don't seem to like.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

the yeti posted:

Yeah, 3D printing seems like the best option if you were to go that route. The cheap kitchen table mold method has historically been plaster of paris, but those do require a positive and are about as fragile and temporary as it gets. I guess you could carve out a blank by hand somehow if you were really committed.

It's worth distinguishing the difference between injection molds and open pour molds when it comes to soft plastics. Open pour is the simpler method of the two, but the bait designs are simpler too by necessity. Elmnt80 and I are fancy boys who want to make fancy baits, so we're going hog wild with injection molds. I had really not considered anything that wasn't milled aluminum for this. If molten plastic is anything like molten lead, it gets really, really loving hot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah, 3D printing seems like the best option if you were to go that route. The cheap kitchen table mold method has historically been plaster of paris, but those do require a positive and are about as fragile and temporary as it gets. I guess you could carve out a blank by hand somehow if you were really committed.

It's worth distinguishing the difference between injection molds and open pour molds when it comes to soft plastics. Open pour is the simpler method of the two, but the bait designs are simpler too by necessity. Elmnt80 and I are fancy boys who want to make fancy baits, so we're going hog wild with injection molds. I had really not considered anything that wasn't milled aluminum for this. If molten plastic is anything like molten lead, it gets really, really loving hot.

Don’t turn him down on the 3D mold. The rumors of them not working might just be Big MoldMaker trying to hold you back.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

There are a few companies doing custom 3D printed molds where aluminum would be prohibitively expensive such as prototyping and the like. And making masters for making silicon molds.

Also, I'd say hand pouring is actually the fancier option, with injection being the more mass production friendly option.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

There are a few companies doing custom 3D printed molds where aluminum would be prohibitively expensive such as prototyping and the like. And making masters for making silicon molds.

Also, I'd say hand pouring is actually the fancier option, with injection being the more mass production friendly option.

I will be the first to admit that I am inexperienced with 3D printing so it's probably fine. My simple lizard brain feels good about a heavy chunk of metal, though.

Injection molds seem to produce more intricate bait designs while open/hand pour baits are more simple, and seem like they'd usually wind up with a flat side. That's ideal if you're making something like a plastic pork rind trailer, but less so with tubes, skirts, some bugs, and I'd think anything that needs to be perfectly round. You can definitely hand pour a grub or a worm, but I think that the ones from an injection mold would look nicer. :shrug:

You're definitely right about mass production, though. Hand pours in quantity would be a chore.

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t turn him down on the 3D mold. The rumors of them not working might just be Big MoldMaker trying to hold you back.

I would not turn down a test mold, but I want to get some experience before I ask anyone to go to the trouble of making one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I will be the first to admit that I am inexperienced with 3D printing so it's probably fine. My simple lizard brain feels good about a heavy chunk of metal, though.

Injection molds seem to produce more intricate bait designs while open/hand pour baits are more simple, and seem like they'd usually wind up with a flat side. That's ideal if you're making something like a plastic pork rind trailer, but less so with tubes, skirts, some bugs, and I'd think anything that needs to be perfectly round. You can definitely hand pour a grub or a worm, but I think that the ones from an injection mold would look nicer. :shrug:

You're definitely right about mass production, though. Hand pours in quantity would be a chore.

I would not turn down a test mold, but I want to get some experience before I ask anyone to go to the trouble of making one.

Imagine asking a real company for a 6” penis mold.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It's like zero trouble. I print a ridiculous amount of garbage that is prototypes of toys for the kiddo.

What is your temperature range? My quick google says plastisol, 350F? Do you typically heat the mold then inject the plastisol hot? Or heat the plastisol and inject?

I've got two main plastics I use, I'll do prototype #1 in a lower temp material then I'll do the second one in high temp. It's technically above the rated temp but worth a try.

LingcodKilla posted:

Imagine asking a real company for a 6” penis mold.

Lemme see if I can find a nerd to 3d model the :frogout: frog, I'd fish with it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Well gently caress, now there's no excuse. What if it was a little version of the barnacle jim 3D printed dildo that FYAD did a few years ago. Penis fish would also be surprisingly appropriate.

I won't have my gear for plastics until after the new year, unfortunately. Elmnt80 is more set up for plastics right now, and I'm stoked to hear his experiences.

Hey fly tyers, the lady I'm seeing is super crafty and has like ten pounds of organized feathers. I'm hosed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

the lady I'm seeing is super crafty and has like ten pounds of organized feathers. I'm hosed.

Man you move fast....

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Man you move fast....

This is more of a conversation to have over beers (my fault, I brought it up in the thread), but it turns out that life is a lot better once the primary source of anxiety and negativity is removed from it. It hosed me up for a while, but ultimately there wasn't much to move on from. A couple of months of perspective + therapy have me feeling both like I was released from jail and like I don't have a malignant tumor anymore. It's good poo poo.

So, uh, how bout them dick lures?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'll make a mold. Find me a photo/something and I'll hire some poor fucker on Fiverr to turn it into a 3d model. My 3d modelling skills are industrial, I have no idea how to actually sculpt something.

I have like 15 gallons of Smooth-On resin too, but I think it'll be the wrong durometer.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yooper posted:

I'll make a mold. Find me a photo/something and I'll hire some poor fucker on Fiverr to turn it into a 3d model. My 3d modelling skills are industrial, I have no idea how to actually sculpt something.

I have like 15 gallons of Smooth-On resin too, but I think it'll be the wrong durometer.

*snicker* I would but there’s a no homegrown rule

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Most open pour molds I see being fancy are your big swimbaits. There is some fancy af poo poo happening in that realm and the flat bit on top makes little to no difference with that style lure. Capsuling, easier layering, painting molds beforehand, etc.

Also, if you're going to try 3d printing a mold, the nozzle tips are a standard 5/8ths inch.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Most open pour molds I see being fancy are your big swimbaits. There is some fancy af poo poo happening in that realm and the flat bit on top makes little to no difference with that style lure. Capsuling, easier layering, painting molds beforehand, etc.

Also, if you're going to try 3d printing a mold, the nozzle tips are a standard 5/8ths inch.

Swimbaits, as in poo poo like this? I watched a dude on the "World's Worst Fishing" YouTube channel. Swimbaits are new to me, I've always been a rapala-spinner-ice fishing guy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, like those. That particular mold is the 5" blood line swimbait mold from angling AI. I've also watched that exact video. That same dude also has some videos of using a 7" open pour swimbait mold that are really good where he does that same effect, but even better imo.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I see what you're saying now; you can definitely freestyle with open pour whereas multiple colors with injection molds usually require lamination plates. There's certainly potential for artistry there. I was coming from the perspective that most people who open pour do it because it's cheaper and less involved than an injection setup. Multiple interpretations of fanciness.

Also, gently caress, I've never even considered needing a 7" swimbait. Is that for bass or saltwater?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I see what you're saying now; you can definitely freestyle with open pour whereas multiple colors with injection molds usually require lamination plates. There's certainly potential for artistry there. I was coming from the perspective that most people who open pour do it because it's cheaper and less involved than an injection setup. Multiple interpretations of fanciness.

Also, gently caress, I've never even considered needing a 7" swimbait. Is that for bass or saltwater?

We use them for shallow water rockfish. In California we had abnormal good results with rootbeer, green and orange swimbaits targeting cabezons(still catch a lot of rockfish that will literally hit anything). Had to be pretty drat shallow though like 20ft or less. No reason why that wouldn’t work in the sound if you found some rocky area. Certainly would work on the jetty in West Port. I dont like them for going deep because they seem to take too long and get caught in the drifts and swells. The jig heads are only a few ounces.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

The last time I went out, the trout loved shiny spoons. My goal is to get one with the dick lure next time out.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A roman made mother swimbait is like 11" long. (Granted that fucker is hand carved wood) Hell, bass will hit a 10" worm all day if they think they can fit their mouth around it. Usually you see 5lb+ bass hitting those bigger swimbaits, but a 2lb bass will chomp it just as easily.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Test run #1. Picked up some FusionX on Amazon in a generic brown color with glittery bits mixed in. I found a generic swimbait on Grabcad, turned it into a mold and printed it in PLA, my cheapest and least temperature resistant type of plastic. Layer height is .15mm, not the finest I can go but about as detailed as I usually worry about. Overall length of the mold is about 6.5", finished lure size is 5.9".

Then I applied mold release. (Baby powder)

I microwaved two cubes, took about 2 minutes. Don't tell my wife I used her nice kitchen stuff... The pour was uneventful.

And there it is after about 20 minutes of cool time. The mold looks fine, I didn't get any distortion or anything. Detail is good enough to see the eye of the lure and also the layer lines from the 3d printer. No issues with release at all.

In hindsight I should have picked a lure with a stouter tail, oh well, I can rig up a stinger on it. It's super floppy. Pretty much find any 3d model and I can turn it into a mold and use this or the injector method. I'm going to look into the injection method some more, I'd really love to make some mayfly larvae for perch fishing.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Let it be known that forums user Yooper is a loving champion. This is so goddamn cool!

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I've 3D printed crankbaits but never thought of printing molds. That's pretty neat.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

I've 3D printed crankbaits but never thought of printing molds. That's pretty neat.

Go on ...

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

The last time I went out, the trout loved shiny spoons. My goal is to get one with the dick lure next time out.

Swapping out the dumb treble on the dick lure for a circle. Gonna get REAL physical with a trout tomorrow.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Swapping out the dumb treble on the dick lure for a circle. Gonna get REAL physical with a trout tomorrow.

Make us proud!

Also, you still got some of them chicken feathers?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Make us proud!

Also, you still got some of them chicken feathers?

Yeah, I can get you some. Email me your deets.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

The pond was like 80% frozen over. I only caught one fish and it was a frickin' bass.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, today I finished cleaning off a spot on my cluttered rear end porch to pour some fuckin worms!

You'll have to excuse the cluttered rear end pile behind this table, the other people in the house piled some poo poo up out there and never bothered to actually put it up. Now it just lives out there. And forgive the goofy writing on the table. Me and some friends got drunk years ago and used neon paint to write and draw stuff. I kept it on there for the good memories.

Anyways, BAITS!

My first attempt was 1 cup of plastic with 10 drops of MF white with a 1/4 tsp each of green, blue, red and violet 0.035 glitter. I got the plastic a touch hot so it seemed to discolor and the green glitter bled kinda bad, but its all an experiment at this point anyways!

It came out alot more translucent than I thought it would, but it would make a good base for bad shad green if I only used green and black glitter.

I tried adding ~15 more drops of white colorant and it made it way thicker and creamier.

I made 2 runs of these and then decided to try my next color! I wanted to try a bluegill color, so I used 1 cup of plastic, 1/4 tsp of blue/green color shifting mica powder and 1/2 tsp of black and purple glitter in 0.035 size. They worked rather well I think. I was expecting a more dramatic color shift, but the subtle shift works too I think!

All in all, a good experiment and I had fun doing it. I'm excited to try some more traditional colors next time like junebug and watermelon red. :toot:

EDIT: Also an fyi for pack of kobolds when he starts doing plastics, gloves are definatelynot optional dude. Just a heads up in case you were considering it. It was getting uncomfortable even through the mechanics gloves I was wearing towards the end as the injector and the mold were retaining some heat in between shoots.

EDIT THE SECOND: Also, sorry for the crappy pictures, but I'm shooting these with my phone in poor lighting.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 28, 2019

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Those look legit!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Yea those look really good

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

So, today I finished cleaning off a spot on my cluttered rear end porch to pour some fuckin worms!

You'll have to excuse the cluttered rear end pile behind this table, the other people in the house piled some poo poo up out there and never bothered to actually put it up. Now it just lives out there. And forgive the goofy writing on the table. Me and some friends got drunk years ago and used neon paint to write and draw stuff. I kept it on there for the good memories.

Anyways, BAITS!

My first attempt was 1 cup of plastic with 10 drops of MF white with a 1/4 tsp each of green, blue, red and violet 0.035 glitter. I got the plastic a touch hot so it seemed to discolor and the green glitter bled kinda bad, but its all an experiment at this point anyways!

It came out alot more translucent than I thought it would, but it would make a good base for bad shad green if I only used green and black glitter.

I tried adding ~15 more drops of white colorant and it made it way thicker and creamier.

I made 2 runs of these and then decided to try my next color! I wanted to try a bluegill color, so I used 1 cup of plastic, 1/4 tsp of blue/green color shifting mica powder and 1/2 tsp of black and purple glitter in 0.035 size. They worked rather well I think. I was expecting a more dramatic color shift, but the subtle shift works too I think!

All in all, a good experiment and I had fun doing it. I'm excited to try some more traditional colors next time like junebug and watermelon red. :toot:

EDIT: Also an fyi for pack of kobolds when he starts doing plastics, gloves are definatelynot optional dude. Just a heads up in case you were considering it. It was getting uncomfortable even through the mechanics gloves I was wearing towards the end as the injector and the mold were retaining some heat in between shoots.

EDIT THE SECOND: Also, sorry for the crappy pictures, but I'm shooting these with my phone in poor lighting.

:neckbeard: This is the loving poo poo right here. Hell yeah, dude. We definitely need to start making coordinated efforts to match my weird jigs with your plastics. I'm going to order my soft bait kit in the next couple of days, so I'm doing all of that fun final research.

I'm going to treat hot plastic like I treat hot lead, so eye protection, long sleeves, long pants, covered-toe shoes, and mechanic's gloves, minimum. Usually leather gloves because a big chunk of milled aluminum can get really loving hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I wasn't ready for just how hot the injector got even on the first shoot. I'd be tempted to nab some tig gloves, but I get the feeling they'd get torn up too quickly.