Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

X-post from the A/T fishing thread by request!

My first mold came in. 5.5" kicker worm mold from angling AI! I am excite :yayclod:. The machining on it is just loving fantastic and I can't wait to start using it. Now if household stuff would stop breaking I could buy the rest of the stuff to start injecting baits. Hopefully I won't need a vacuum chamber with the plastisol I'll be using, but the humidity here in florida may make it necessary. :saddowns:

And for fun, this mold compared to a rabbit ear joy stick from 13 fishing!

The body of the kicker worm is a bit narrower and its a 1/2" shorter. Perfect for throwing on a little shaky head jig or swimming along with a light (1/8-1/4oz) texas rig. Gonna have to experiment with using floating plastics, salt, etc to figure out a desirable mix for various fishing styles I think.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Also, those of you looking for interesting/unique feathers may want to talk to the folks in the birb thread in PI. They might be willing to send out some feathers when their birbs molt if you paid for the shipping. Parrot feathers would mean some very interesting colors that you normally wouldn't have access to!

Also, do you have a video on how those gravedigger jig heads move in the water kobolds? Do they have an action like a square bill crankbait with that big ol lip?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What sizes do you have made and sitting around? I'll kick you a few bucks for the jigs and shipping in a couple weeks when I get paid next. :haw:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A couple 1/4oz and 3/8oz ones would be amazing to experiment with. And I'll deffo send you some worms and take video of the jig heads in action if possible. Lemme know when to send you an address. :haw:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUatRhO9OrI

Those loving powders and the color shift glitter look fantastic. A hobby lobby run may be in my future. Apparently I'm still stuck buying the red bait glitter since the craft store stuff bleeds and fucks up with heat. :argh:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went by a few hobby shops on my break from work. I remember why I don't buy from them, holy poo poo overpriced. Literally double or more what a dedicated lure making shop charges for mica powders. I might try going back if I want to spice up some basic patterns with fancy glitters or something, but its looking likeI'll just buy 99% of my supplies online through dedicated lure making suppliers. :shrug:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 8, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Hi, I bought 6,900 nice hooks this week, all Mustad :norway:, old stock but sealed boxes. I was planning on buying 0, but somebody on eBay bought the contents of an old tackle shop at auction and was willing to make a hell of a package deal. I'm so loving pleased right now. :peanut:

Nice score!

quote:

I'm going to have to spend some time watching this channel. Also, have you seen any molds that look similar to Gulp sandworms? People up here swear by them for surf perch.

The closest thing I can think of is a hellgrammite mold. Maybe trim the legs and see how it looks?

http://www.basstackle.com/6_Hellgrammite_p/564-kj-2.htm

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'll probably be putting coffee scent in the plastic and lure bags like strike king. If nothing else it keeps the human stank off the lures.

My first attempt will be without salt though. Probably a few of my first attempts. Partly because I'll be using a floating plastic blend and partly because the salt adds moisture to the mix and makes the lure cloudy. I'm not willing to drop a few hundo on a vacuum chamber just yet. Not until I figure out how I like doing this at least.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

I know nothing about the hobby except that you all use feathers and, well, I have two green birds that are going through a molt right now. Dunno if these would be of use to any of you, but just ask and I'll stuff an envelope with some little green feathers.

If not, oh well, I enjoy seeing your pictures of the craft.

I'm sure pinto and/or peanut feathers would be in high demand to tie flies with and catch all the fish. Hopefully some fly fishing goon accepts your offer.

PS: Your birbs are adorable.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

This weeks scrounging mission was a rousing success. I hit up the thrift shops for some of the equipment for pouring plastics and did well. Since I need to make a list, I'll do it here so anyone else looking at doing this can get an idea of what they need. Some of the safety gear is just me being overly cautious, but thats just my nature.

Edit: And I just scored a barely used microwave off facebook marketplace for $30. About 1 month more and I should be ready to pour my first batch of plastics. :toot:

Sourced from Thrift shops/Craigslist/Facebook:
4x Cake spatulas for stirring plastics (Knives were my backup plan)
2x Borosilicate 2c measuring cups (Modern ones are soda lime which doesn't handle temp changes/thermal shock as well. Actual glass beakers also work since they tend to be borosil)
1x 900w microwave from facebook marketplace (very lightly used, half the price of a new one)

Retail stores/online:
Measuring spoons down to 1/8tsp (1/4 was as low as I was planning on looking for, but for $5 I ain't complaining)

Sourced from work:
1x Mechanics gloves because gently caress handling hot glass bare handed
1x 3m chemical spill safety googles
1x Respirator with replaceable Organic Vapor filters
1x free.99 plastic organization rack that was an old display :toot:

Still on the list:
1x Heatgun (Need to hit up a friend to nab his or check a pawn shop that takes tools)
1x some kind of plastic safe lube for the mold and injector (Worm oil works, but I want someone more effective if possible.)
Plastic bags and labels
Plastisol, dyes, powders, glitter, scent, salt, etc
1x Injector (I'm being a baby and waiting to buy a specific one with a locking tip for safety's sake. The cheapo chinesium jobs on ebay/amazon lack this.)

And a vijeyo for those that want it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVCUCWX6fU

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 20, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

5 gallons of floating worm blend plastic, a couple green dyes, a couple purple dyes and some coffee scent landed on my front porch yesterday. Just waiting for the injector, other dyes, powder and glitter to arrive. :getin:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Both imo. Its pungent enough to mask the human/plastic stink from making and handling the baits and bass do seem to have an attraction to coffee. I was hoping for more of a strike king coffee scent, this is more coffee thats had fish in it for a week. It reeks in a very special way.

The rest of my colors and 10 jars of glitter came in. Im in the process now of setting up a space on my porch to do this in. Once my injector gets here, I can start pouring baits. Now to decide what I mix first.

Colors:
Deadon Dark Melon
Deadon Green Pumpkin
Deadon Purple
Deadon Junebug
MF Dark Watermelon
MF Black
MF White

Glitter:
Red
Blue
Green
Gold
Silver
Black

Powder:
Blue Highlight/Sheen
Blue/Green Colorshift

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You may also want to keep in mind that saltwater baits usually use a much harder blend of plastic compared to a freshwater bait to hold up to toothy mouths taking a nip.

Also, what injector did you get (or are planning to get) kobolds? Most of the locking tip style ones I looked at were out of stock. I finally found an 8oz tip one, but I'm still waiting on them to make/ship that fucker.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They're only like 50k for a used one, totally affordable.

Also, my injector has arrived. And I picked up some medium purple glitter from the hobby store as an experiment. Too bad I work fuckoff hours for the next week.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

3D printed molds work fine if a high temp plastic is used. The higher end stuff is aluminum (billet or cast) for durability and long term usability. After a while soapstone and 3d printed start to break down. The same thing happens with silicone open pour molds.

Also, the layering on 3D printed molds means the bait has a rough surface, which most home pourers don't seem to like.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

There are a few companies doing custom 3D printed molds where aluminum would be prohibitively expensive such as prototyping and the like. And making masters for making silicon molds.

Also, I'd say hand pouring is actually the fancier option, with injection being the more mass production friendly option.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I will be the first to admit that I am inexperienced with 3D printing so it's probably fine. My simple lizard brain feels good about a heavy chunk of metal, though.

Injection molds seem to produce more intricate bait designs while open/hand pour baits are more simple, and seem like they'd usually wind up with a flat side. That's ideal if you're making something like a plastic pork rind trailer, but less so with tubes, skirts, some bugs, and I'd think anything that needs to be perfectly round. You can definitely hand pour a grub or a worm, but I think that the ones from an injection mold would look nicer. :shrug:

You're definitely right about mass production, though. Hand pours in quantity would be a chore.

I would not turn down a test mold, but I want to get some experience before I ask anyone to go to the trouble of making one.

Most open pour molds I see being fancy are your big swimbaits. There is some fancy af poo poo happening in that realm and the flat bit on top makes little to no difference with that style lure. Capsuling, easier layering, painting molds beforehand, etc.

Also, if you're going to try 3d printing a mold, the nozzle tips are a standard 5/8ths inch.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, like those. That particular mold is the 5" blood line swimbait mold from angling AI. I've also watched that exact video. That same dude also has some videos of using a 7" open pour swimbait mold that are really good where he does that same effect, but even better imo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I see what you're saying now; you can definitely freestyle with open pour whereas multiple colors with injection molds usually require lamination plates. There's certainly potential for artistry there. I was coming from the perspective that most people who open pour do it because it's cheaper and less involved than an injection setup. Multiple interpretations of fanciness.

Also, gently caress, I've never even considered needing a 7" swimbait. Is that for bass or saltwater?

A roman made mother swimbait is like 11" long. (Granted that fucker is hand carved wood) Hell, bass will hit a 10" worm all day if they think they can fit their mouth around it. Usually you see 5lb+ bass hitting those bigger swimbaits, but a 2lb bass will chomp it just as easily.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, today I finished cleaning off a spot on my cluttered rear end porch to pour some fuckin worms!

You'll have to excuse the cluttered rear end pile behind this table, the other people in the house piled some poo poo up out there and never bothered to actually put it up. Now it just lives out there. And forgive the goofy writing on the table. Me and some friends got drunk years ago and used neon paint to write and draw stuff. I kept it on there for the good memories.

Anyways, BAITS!

My first attempt was 1 cup of plastic with 10 drops of MF white with a 1/4 tsp each of green, blue, red and violet 0.035 glitter. I got the plastic a touch hot so it seemed to discolor and the green glitter bled kinda bad, but its all an experiment at this point anyways!

It came out alot more translucent than I thought it would, but it would make a good base for bad shad green if I only used green and black glitter.

I tried adding ~15 more drops of white colorant and it made it way thicker and creamier.

I made 2 runs of these and then decided to try my next color! I wanted to try a bluegill color, so I used 1 cup of plastic, 1/4 tsp of blue/green color shifting mica powder and 1/2 tsp of black and purple glitter in 0.035 size. They worked rather well I think. I was expecting a more dramatic color shift, but the subtle shift works too I think!

All in all, a good experiment and I had fun doing it. I'm excited to try some more traditional colors next time like junebug and watermelon red. :toot:

EDIT: Also an fyi for pack of kobolds when he starts doing plastics, gloves are definatelynot optional dude. Just a heads up in case you were considering it. It was getting uncomfortable even through the mechanics gloves I was wearing towards the end as the injector and the mold were retaining some heat in between shoots.

EDIT THE SECOND: Also, sorry for the crappy pictures, but I'm shooting these with my phone in poor lighting.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 28, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I wasn't ready for just how hot the injector got even on the first shoot. I'd be tempted to nab some tig gloves, but I get the feeling they'd get torn up too quickly.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Im really not a fan of the glitter sizes included in that consumable kit, they're a size smaller than they should be. But thats a bit more personal preference I guess. Still way cheaper than how I did it. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Order more colors and glitters. And molds. :v:

The basic should give you an idea if you wanna keep going with plastics and make a fistful of lures. The injector and the mold will be the biggest things you get out of that package, since the consumables will run out in one session of a couple hours if my experience is anything to go by.

Just keep in mind that if you scale up, things are gonna get spendy real drat quick. :v:

I made some junebug worms today. First a straight "junebug" colorant that is almost a dead ringer for my favorite junebug color (left) and then I added a few drops of plain purple because why the gently caress not! (Right)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Poured some worms today in watermelon red with a touch of blue pearl highlight. I went 3/6 in my runs and kept getting a bunch of flashing on the tails. Its a bit hard to balance the pressure you need to get the mold filled without blowing it out the air channels.

But oh well, at least I can have some fun with the handful I got today.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I finally got a decent pic of the watermelon red worms.

And I did some more today. I was trying to make some green pumpkin blue flake worms and even with 25 drops in one cup of plastic, it was super light. So I grabbed what I thought was a dark watermelon colorant and put 10 drops in. Nope, I grabbed straight black by mistake. I channeled my inner Bob Ross, said there are no mistakes, only happy accidents and rolled with it. :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh, plenty. The watermelon red I'll probably be using along with a handful of the junebug, but the rest is just experiments. I do need to get some worm oil and proper bags before I get too many built up.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 23, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

1 Cup plastic
1/4 tsp 0.035 red flake
1/8 tsp 0.015 gold flake
1/8 tsp 0.040 neon orange hologram flake
40 drops MF dark watermelon
20 drops Dead on Dark Melon

Heat plastic to 350-400°F in 1:30-2:00 stages, add dye then glitter and mix well. Reheat to 320°F, Load up injector and pour worms.

:chef:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 19, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Got to try my new lures. This plastic is way softer than I thought it would be. I think it needs a chunkier bait to really shine I think.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

No, it tore off the hook when I casted funky. Into lily pads. And a hydrilla mat. Now, with a proper cast and a swimbait hook instead of a punch style hook it was fine pulling into and through heavy hydrilla. It would be awesome for a grub with a thicker body.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So what's the next step to dial in your plastic? More hardener?

Not with this mix since it's a floating blend and I don't want to throw off that floating density. I was just being a lazy dingus about swapping out the hook I was using and fishing in the wrong kind of cover for the lure/presentation. On a stand-up jig head/Shakey head/etc it'll be perfect. Tons of motion and it floats well which will help it stand up appropriately for the water I actually want to fish it in.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The zman elaztech plastic is a different animal entirely compared to normal bait plastic like I have that happens to float. When stores together, the fumes they give off will melt each other. And yes, the things you said are 100% true about it. It's a different PVC style material that HAS to be machine poured to get it to set properly. Something about high temp control and injection pressures, etc.

And yeah, I can mess with adding salt, but it makes the plastic heavier, more dense and overall softer while usually introducing moisture to the plastic. When added to floating blends in the right amount, you can almost make a suspending bait.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It's less that it's fiddly and more that you have a ton of options when doing this stuff.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://anglingai.com/905a-20-2-single-tail-grub-mold/

I dunno, but this seems like your jam kobolds, I think you were looking for a small single curly tail grub mold

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'll be able to save so much money pouring my own lures I say as I order hundreds of dollars worth of gear and supplies to make one kind of worm

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Those trolling lures are neat. That blunt head would be nice if I was still in texas and had wood to fish.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Eco_Pro_Tungsten_Punch_Rigs/descpage-EPPR.html

This was more what I was thinking of. You run the line through the weight, tie your hook on with a snell knot and chuck your preferred soft plastic trailer on. Punch jigs have a nice tapered head for sliding through thick vegetation, but it'd get jammed on woody structure. That blunt head would own for that, just throw a basic jig skirt on.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They effectively are! The mold apok has is an actual senko mold, licensed from yamamoto. :science:

The real trick is nailing the plastic durometer and salt content that gives a proper senko its density and movement. I got faith in apok though. :shobon:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

I know, I was just trying to say he did a good job ;)

He did a very good job for his first time and I look forward to his future tries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

While there are some fly fishers in here, I'd say post it in the regular fishing thread too. This one is focused on making tackle and doesn't get nearly as many eyes as the other one.