Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

I have 1 billion chicken feathers if anyone can use them

Replied in the other thread, but I will totally take feathers - especially rooster hackle. Out here, it's pretty much pheasant tail nymphs, duracell jigs, and parachutes for days. Chicken feathers are super versatile and excellent tying materials for a ton of things.

Especially rooster hackle. Saddle and cape hackle is something I tear through when tying. Other hackle is good, but the hackle feathers I tear through every season. It sucks to buy $50 in feathers and then realize you're down a giant pad because you're tying so many flies for yourself and your buddies.

At least now I get them to buy the loving materials. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Been tying duracells like mad lately. Super productive jig pattern out here.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

Looks good! Maybe I'll have to try to do something like that. What hooks you using?

Standard offset jig hooks with a slotted bead. I think they’re Tiemco size 14s.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

It's pretty similar to the one I got. I've got no complaints with this one so far.
Terra Rotary Vise

The Stonfo Airone is cheap and burly, and has changeable vise jaws.

A++ would tie on again.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm seeing $200 and thinking that I can make it work with needle nose pliers if I have to.

You can find the Airone for a lot less than $200.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

I know nothing about the hobby except that you all use feathers and, well, I have two green birds that are going through a molt right now. Dunno if these would be of use to any of you, but just ask and I'll stuff an envelope with some little green feathers.

If not, oh well, I enjoy seeing your pictures of the craft.

Sure. I’ll give them a whirl. They look like cape feathers, so why not?

Shoot over a PM?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey gamera009, sorry for the delay. Sent the feathers in the mail. I tried to put in a decent variety, but was largely dependent on what the birds felt like giving up lol

Not a problem! I'll be sure to take pictures of what I tie up.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Going to try this later today. We’ll see how well it works.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

A birdgoon sent me some stuff! I'm excited to work with these neat colors. The short feathers at the bottom I know will work for snazzy tails; what should I use the longer ones for?

The longer ones can be stripped for tails for smaller nymphs or dries. I’m going to try to use a few for some hazes. I built up a super buggy buggier bugger, but we’ll have to wait a week or two before I can get out to big enough water for streamers.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Can you point me in the right direction? The cheapest I can find is $150 from a seller in Poland.

I mostly had an alert set up through google. Found a great deal on eBay.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Yooper posted:

I see wing cases, wings, tails, nymph bodies, and spinner decoration. Not sure how these would hackle into a spiral. We've gotten spoiled by amazing hackles in the last 10 years. In recent years instagram has shown us hyper realistic flies that probably catch less fish than ridiculous chicken feather flies from the 1950's. I've caught more trout on a basic boring nymph than any other fly pattern.

Basically this. The feathers I got were fantastic tails, wings/cases, and very small bodies. A couple made for interesting small parachutes, but none of the feathers worked for hackle.

That being said, I would love more of that neon green/iridescent parrot feather stuff! I'm out and I only made two parachutes, and they did superbly before I snapped them off on hooksets where I was surprised there was anything there.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Spare-Ohs posted:

After some quick research it looks like most of these are considered absolute garbage grade. I blame the little idiot for chewing on them after they come out. :colbert:

I have no idea what size is appropriate for tying or if the downy feathers to one side are useful at all. Please feel free to reach out here or in pm if you'd like any of these. I'm keeping a special eye out for cockatiel feathers.

At least for me, I don't care too much since I'm using the individual barbules as tail material as opposed to hackle. I like the iridescent green, since it adds a really nice pop to smaller quill nymphs.

tldr; I'll take them.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

:3: I love it. And I totally feel you about fly tools. They weird.

I really recommend checking out the OPST YouTube channel. You might not be tying a lot of steelhead or articulated flies, but a lot of prep and practices are applicable for what you’re talking about.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Rummaging through some old boxes. Well what have we here…

I can never find that poo poo or the squirmy material as cheap as everyone says it is. :(

Sucks since dirty flies work so goddamn well in lovely conditions.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Welp. Just put in another order for stuff because I don't have exactly the right materials and obviously trout won't eat my Hippie Stompers if the have medium legs instead of nymph legs.

Can attest to mop fly effectiveness on larger water. Smaller creek plunge pools, not so much.

Hippie stompers are my go-to terrestrial or attractor. I need to tie more.

Anyone use the fire hole dry or emerger dry hooks?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Stonfo is another solid choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Lowparts posted:

Thanks you two. I have a Stonfo bobbin and was impressed by it's quality. How is the vice compared to the two above?

I use the Stonfo travel vise. It’s extremely dependable and does exactly what I need it to do in a very small and compact space. It’s the clamp style, so there’s no spring. You dial everything in with the adjustment nut, and then clamp down on the hook. It’s a smaller vise with nymph tips, so it’s perfect for what I tend to tie up for fishing out here in CO (less streamers, more size 22-14 dries/nymphs). It was a steal for the price, and it’s also easy to fold up and take with me when I’m traveling to fish. The only downside is that as a smaller vise, tying streamers at size 8 can be cumbersome because the materials can obscure the smaller vise.