Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The year is 3059 and, for the first time in almost 300 years, the Inner Sphere is united under the aegis of the Star League. Uniting their militaries as the Star League Defense Force, they are currently waging an ambitious campaign to wipe out Clan Smoke Jaguar.

But this isn't a story about any of that.

With any major campaign comes contracts to supply necessary items. Nashan Diversified's CEO, Duchess Margaret Doons, assured her board of directors that they had the bid locked down to supply the SLDF with Nashan Computers' newest noteputer. Marketing had already been drawing up advertising copy and branding components marketing next year's Nashan Baroness as "the First Lord of Noteputers." And that was when they got the news that the SLDF would be taking the contract with Matabushi Computing Equipment. The campaign needed to be thrown out and Duchess Doons was embarrassed in front of her board.

This is a story about that.

Nashan traced the web of personal ties from Matabushi all the way to intermediaries in the Free Worlds League and then back around to Independence Weaponry on Quentin. Your job is to make Independence Weaponry lose face with the Coordinator, and through them, have it ripple back to Matabushi. The plan? Steal two R&D projects from their proving grounds. The DCMS has been working on experimental weapons and is close to a breakthrough. Steal them. They were built with a combination of salvage from Operation: Bulldog and lab-built prototype gear, so it will be impossible for Independence to fabricate a replacement before the Coordinator's delivery date.

NasDiv has reached out through underground channels to build a strike team. Normally this would be a job for the elite Black Guard security, but all teams are currently on-station protecting new projects for the Archon as she prepares for a follow-up offensive against the Jade Falcons. You might suspect your handler was looking for a deniable asset, but that's mercenary life for you.

The team will be vetted separately and only meeting face-to-face at the rendezvous on Quentin. The formation of the Star League has made it much easier to cross the border and will not require a specifically Combine false identity. Compensation is in the seven figures per operative, but comes with the assumption of silence. You get the payload, you get paid, and you never talk about what happened here. If you do... Nashan Diversified will find out.

-------

If you backed the BattleTech kickstarter, you got a new RPG rulebook yesterday. They're asking for feedback and I figured, what better way to provide it than run an actual campaign? I'm looking for no less than four and no more than six players to try it out.

We will be playing a Regular-level game, because that's what the book recommends.

You are all working under false identities, but you don't need to take Alternate Identity unless you are trying to pass yourself off as someone from a different faction than the one your character was born to. However, the false identity you are using needs to be from a Star League member state, which at this point is the five Great Houses, St. Ives, Free Rasalhague and ComStar, so if you wanna play a Taurian or something, that's your ticket. Also, even though the Combine joined the Star League, old hatreds die hard and I'm sure having anything but a Kuritan passport will get you extra scrutiny, so it's up to you whether you want to trust your fake ID or your disarming personality to help you stay unnoticed.

The team will need a variety of skills, so when you're building your character, think of how they would fit into a black ops team. The mission will need need skills at combat, conversation, breaking and entering, computer systems and vehicle piloting, and that's assuming the plan of "find the hangar the weapons are in, break in, strap them to a truck and escape to a drop point" goes perfectly. And the easier time you have piloting what you find out of the base, the better.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Count me in, I'm eyeing a couple possibilities for characters right now. I'm leaning Outworlds Alliance with a fake Combine ID.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Count me in as well, I wanna get some experience with this system.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm totally in. Probably as some sneaky SAFE type.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 22, 2019

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I'm confused as to whether this is only open to people who have the book or not. If the latter, then count me in.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
I'm in. I have a couple of ideas right now. I have the book. I am leaning towards a St. Ives female technician. I am planning on currently being without a vehicle so I guess I get to drive the truck. :)

Leith Maclaine fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 22, 2019

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'll give it a go if book ownership isn't a requirement. If it is, then I'll just watch with interest. :shrug:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'd be interested as well, but I'm also in the no book crowd!

An alternate way to play mechfights without tabletop sounds intriguing!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Count me in with the no book crowd, but I'm interested to see how this goes either way. :toot:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Tentatively in, have backed

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Proposed Character:

1: Dirt Poor Capellan Technician trying to get ahead. (Song Lin)
2: Capellan
3: Regular
4:
Strength 1
Reflexes 2
Intelligence 3
Willpower 1
Charisma 2
Edge 2 (Extra edge due to being dispossessed)
5: Skills
piloting 1
computers 3
streetwise 2+1 (+1 due to life module)
technician 3+1 (+1 due to life module)
Stealth 2+1 (+1 due to life module)
Project Management 1
6: Traits
Positive Trait
Tech Empathy +1 to tech rolls
Negative Trait
Poor only 1 weapon, 2 inventory, half hardware (zero because I am dispossed)
7: Life Modules
0: Liao
1: Street
2: Technical College
3: Covert Ops
8: Armor - Concealed Flak Armor
9: Weapon - Hold out pistol
10: Inventory
Noteputer
Deluxe Toolkit
11: Hardware - None
12: Cues
Run away to infiltrate another day
I can fix it
You need that for what?
Actions require a plan. Success requires contingency plans.
Something doesn't feel right about this.
Wonder what they are hiding?
I wish I had a..................

13: Background
History
Song Lin was born in 3034 on St. Ives in a family of poor factory workers with way too many kids. She managed to get into technical school on a military scholarship and after graduation server her tour of duty being assigned as a technician supporting covert ops since she was naturally inconspicuous. After her tour of duty ended, she has tried getting various well paying jobs but has not had much luck since she can't talk about what she did with the St. Ives military. In frustration, she was approached by her handler for the trip to Quentin. She is fully aware she was selected because she could be made to disappear without anyone caring but she is getting desperate after a life of poverty for a chance of something different.

Leith Maclaine fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 22, 2019

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Another proposed character:

Druhv Singh
Background: Bitter former SAFE operative
Attributes:
STR: 2
RFL: 2
INT: 2
WIL: 2
CHA: 2
EDG: 1
Skills:
Acting: 2
Athletics: 1
Disguise: 2
Gunnery: 1
Melee: 1
Negotiation: 1
Perception: 1
Piloting: 1
Protocol: +1
Small Arms: 2
Stealth: 2+1
Tracking: +1
Traits:
Sixth Sense (+1 bonus to Perception Tests to avoid being surprised or ambushed.)
Bad Reputation (SAFE): –1 penalty to CHA-based Tests involving someone who knows your character)
Life Modules:
0: Free Worlds League
1: White Collar (+1 Protocol)
2: Intelligence Operative Training (+1 Tracking)
3: Covert Operations (+1 Stealth)
Weapons:
Needler Pistol
Carbon-Fiber Fingernails
Armor: Infiltration Suit
Inventory:
Disguise Kit
Micro-Recorder
Laser Microphone
Holomap

Cues:
Things weren’t supposed to go like this!
Why not three impossible things before breakfast?
Never underestimate human stupidity.
I will not die hungry.
Hardware: STG-3R STINGER (If we can convert stuff not already in the book, may request some other Light deathtrap)

Background: Born to a moderately prosperous family of merchants on Regulus, Druhv left behind a comfortable life as member of his family's import/export business to join the Marik intelligence apparatus. Recruited with the promise that his work would help the entire Free World's League, Druhv instead found himself embroiled in regionalist bickering, mired in backbiting office politics, and subject to an organizational nightmare that got men killed on the field and off. He's been involved in half a dozen major SAFE operations...all of which ended poorly, whether from insufficient groundwork, poor prior intelligence, or simple awful luck. Determined not to die in the next disastrous SAFE mission or go crawling back to his family, Druhv has pulled together all the resources at his disposal to get himself an opportunity like this: a big score that will let him settle somewhere far outside of Marik space, in the sort of luxury that will let him try to forget the life he's squandered in the League's service.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
pre:
STR	1
RFL	3
WIL	2
INT	2
CHA	2
EDG	1

Faction: Free Worlds League
Childhood: Mercenary Brat (+1 Small Arms)
Higher Education: Military Academy (+1 Tactics)
Real Life: Covert Operations (+1 Stealth)

Traits:
Alternate ID (Rana Khalid)
Attractive
Sixth Sense
Compulsion (Curiosity)
Dark Secret (Siding with Heather Alexander against the Word)
In for Life (SAFE)

Skills:
Acting				2+0+CHA		+4
Communications		        3+0+INT		+5
Gunnery			        2+0+RFL		+5
Knowledge: ComStar/Blakists 	1+0+INT		+3
Perception			2+0+INT		+4
Piloting			1+0+RFL		+4
Small Arms			0+1+RFL		+4
Stealth				1+1+RFL		+5
Tactics				0+1+INT		+3

Armour:
Infiltration Suit

Weapons:
Laser Pistol
Vibrodagger

Equipment:
Encrypted Personal Communicator
Cover Documents and Effects
Micro Reconnaissance Drone
Noteputer

Hardware:
PXH-2 Phoenix Hawk

Cues:
Act natural.
Don't forget the mission.
Use every tool at your disposal.
I'll keep an eye on things.
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
That goes double for Blakists.
Lt. JG Eva Malik a.k.a. Rana Khalid
Height: 1.75 m
Weight: 60 kg

Born in 3037 to mercenary parents on Calloway VI, her early years were marked by travel with her parents across Marik and FedCom space as part of Kristen's Krushers. She spent plenty of time with the unit's comm team out of boredom when she was younger, and when she grew older she applied for a spot at the Allison MechWarrior Institute. Before she could get assigned to a unit after graduating, she found herself transferred to SAFE. Now with one successful operation under her belt, she finds herself assigned by her commanding officer to something new: establish a strong cover as a mercenary, make a name for yourself, and get to where you can sign on with the Blakists.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 24, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

There are rules for how to convert Mechs to Destiny using the Total Warfare stats.

edit: and I'm done, finally

pre:
Holden Yelu aka Almonzo Grier

Outworld's Alliance

STR	2
RFL	2
WIL	3
INT     2
CHA	1
EDG	2

Skills:
Escape Artist  	2 + RFL (+4)
Gunnery	        3 + RFL (+5)
Tactics	        3 + INT (+5)
Tracking        2 + INT (+4)
Streetwise	2 + CHA (+3)
Knowledge: Draconis Underworld	2 + INT (+4)

Traits:
Alternate ID
Sixth Sense (+1 to Perception tests)
Introvert (-1 to CHA related tests)
Bloodmark

Life Modules:
Faction - Outworlds Alliance
Childhood - Spacer Family (+1 to Zero G Operations)
Higher Education - Intelligence Operative Training (+1 to Intimidation)
Real Life - Covert Operations (+1 to Demolitions)
Armor - Inflitration Suit

Weapons:
Silenced Auto Pistol
Grenade Launcher

Inventory:
Micro-Recorder
White Noise Generator
Demolition Kit
Stimpatch

Hardware:
Used points for 1 Edge and 2 Skill points

Cues:
I've been burnt before, and if I find him I'll gut him like a fish
Loyalty is earned, everyone else is fair game.
Don't bite the hand that feeds you, at least not until it stops feeding you.

Background: 
Born to an unremarkable family on an unremarkable planet in the Outworlds Alliance,
Holden Yelu  enlisted in the Outworlds Alliance military. He didn't even manage to graduate 
basic training before being drummed out due to "personality and behavorial disorders that make 
him unsuited for life as a member of a team". However he had little issue qualifying with every 
weapon or physical challenge presented to him prior to his dismissal and was quickly approached
 by Outworlds Alliance Intelligence. He became part of ther Infiltration Division, but quickly became 
notorious for his approach to covert ops. Yelu had a tendency to make a lot of noise, his ops always 
had a much higher body count than average, it became quickly apparent that you didn't want him as 
your primary on a low profile operation. He was extremely adept as the backup plan, when poo poo hit the 
fan he had a way of making sure the job got done, it's just that with him around it became way more likely 
the poo poo would hit the fan. Faced with the knowledge that he wasn't going to face the prospect of promotion 
or accollades in his career, Yelu eventually began to sell information to the Davions and Kuritas. The vast 
majority of this information was about each other, however ocassionally he would have to slip some info 
relating to the OA to keep his contacts happy. This arrangement actually worked out quite well for a good 
while, until his Kuritan contact discovered his arrangement with the Davions and opted to burn Yelu with OA
 Intelligence. Yelu managed to escape OA space by the skin of his teeth and is currently operating within Combine 
space with a fake Combine ID, going by the name of Almonzo Grier. Always hoping to run into his former Combine 
contact and relieve the man of his pesky breathing habit. He is still wanted for treason in the OA, having been tried 
in absentia and sentenced to death.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 23, 2019

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hey if you don't have the book then I definitely don't have a way to disseminate it if you have PMs.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Hey if you don't have the book then I definitely don't have a way to disseminate it if you have PMs.

I certainly wouldn't be at all down with that with the PMs that I do in fact have. :tipshat:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I, too, am interested in this game... but I don't think I got any rulebook despite backing that Kickstarter. And I also have PMs.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

VolticSurge posted:

I, too, am interested in this game... but I don't think I got any rulebook despite backing that Kickstarter. And I also have PMs.
They posted a link to the book as a Kickstarter campaign update.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

What kind of limitations are we under for the Hardware portion? Basically anything we can justify within the point cost, or procure on site only, etc? Mechs only?

I'm working up a character and part of his usefulness would be a utility pilot. So he could fly a chopper (which would be my primary preference), but also more mundane vehicles like trucks and stuff. There's only one chopper in the book proper, but it looks like most of the other options for VTOLs would convert fairly easily. I just don't know how far up the ladder I can go as far as military hardware is concerned. It's not like even a fairly heavily armed light chopper is going to be anything unusual if we're getting Battlemechs on world.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Edit: Nevermind figured it out. I am a dumb

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 23, 2019

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

What kind of limitations are we under for the Hardware portion? Basically anything we can justify within the point cost, or procure on site only, etc? Mechs only?

I'm working up a character and part of his usefulness would be a utility pilot. So he could fly a chopper (which would be my primary preference), but also more mundane vehicles like trucks and stuff. There's only one chopper in the book proper, but it looks like most of the other options for VTOLs would convert fairly easily. I just don't know how far up the ladder I can go as far as military hardware is concerned. It's not like even a fairly heavily armed light chopper is going to be anything unusual if we're getting Battlemechs on world.

NasDiv is willing to assist in getting key materiel on site. I'm down with any type of gear... within reason.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Here is my guy:

Tobias Fitzpatrick

Height:5'5

Weight:160 lbs.

Faction: Federated Suns

Childhood:Runt of the litter (+1 Stealth)

Higher Education: Military Academy (+1 Leadership)

Real Life: Former AFFS Leftenant (+1 Piloting:BattleMech)

STR:1

RFL:3

WIL:2

INT:2

CHA:2

EDG:1

Skills:

Leadership 2+1+CHA (+5)

Piloting:BattleMech 1+1+RFL (+5)

Stealth:0+1+RFL (+4)

Tactics: 2+0+INT (+4)

Technician:+1+0+INT (+3)

Knowledge: Federated Suns: +2+0+INT (+4)

Traits:
Alternate ID (Brian Talbot)
Guilt (-1 to CHA tests that involve AFFS characters)
Combat Sense (keenly aware of the surroundings in combat)
Enemy

Armor:
Concealed Flak Jacket

Weapons:
Fighting Knife
Hold-Out Laser Pistol

Inventory:
BattleMech Repair Kit
Binoculars
Emergency Flares
Sedative Patch
Worn Photograph

Hardware:
SHD-2H Shadow Hawk

Cues:
You keep your dirty laundry to yourself, and I will do the same with mine.
A hero is just an idiot with good PR.
One thing I'm proud of? I'm not stuck piloting a Griffin.
Pain's a good thing-lets you know you're still alive.
This reminds me of boot camp. I hated boot camp.
If he shows up... let me deal with him, my responsibility.
Every time I think things can't get worse... they find a way.
Don't laugh at the shorter gent. Your ghoulies are in kicking range.

Background: Growing up on a minor world in Davion space, Tobias was the smallest of his siblings-the sons of the resident minor noble family. He quickly took to using his size to avoid fights with his larger brothers, often stealing food or other items from them when they were distracted with their squabbling. This rough-and tumble nature carried on to his teens, when he enlisted in a military academy-taking the family Shadow Hawk with him, his brothers choosing different paths in life. Despite his attitude, he quickly took to the training-eventually earning himself an enrollment at an Officer Candidate School. He came out the other side eager as ever, eventually earning the rank of Leftenant as he quickly developed a rapport with the other soldiers in his lance. Things were looking up for him... until one mission went horribly wrong- during a routine patrol his lance got caught in an unexpected artillery bombardment. The end result was his Shadow Hawk emerging from the wreckage...two of his lancemates not being so lucky. The other survivor blamed
him for their deaths, calling him a traitor.He fled in grief and disgrace as his former comrade doggedly began pursuing him,an old picture his only reminder of better times. A friend of his family was able to get him a false ID and he left Federated Suns space, then a man just... found him one day with a very tempting offer-his command skills,ability to evade pursuers and dogged stubbornness clearly getting the attention of SOMEONE important.

OK guy is done. Now I'm gonna go have a nap- I spent most of the night making him, I will make any needed adjustments after I wake up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Here's my attempt at a character. He's basically an angry Russian ex-cop who's good at piloting vehicles and shooting people. I spoke with DI on discord for clarification on a couple of things, so they're not specifically to spec (notably the VTOL is actually 56 tons, so it's 1 ton over being a 2 pointer, but DI approved it since it's non-combat and just a single ton overweight), but I don't think there's anything gamebreaking. I just made something fluffy I thought would fit into a party.

quote:

Name: Ivashin "Ivan" Makarovich
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 235 lbs. (doughy but not obese)
Faction: Capellan Confederation
Experience: Regular

Attributes:
STR - 2
RFL - 3
WIL - 1
INT - 2
CHA - 2
EDG - 1

Skills:
Streetwise - 0 + 1 (Street) + 2 (CHA) = +3
Intimidation - 2 + 1 (Police Academy) + 2 (CHA) = +5
Small Arms - 2 + 1 (To Serve & Protect) + 3 (RFL) = +6
Piloting (Vehicle) - 4 + 0 + 3 (RFL) = +7
Navigation - 2 + 0 + 2 (INT) = +4
Technician - 1 + 0 + 2 (INT) = +3
Knowledge:Police Procedures 1 + 0 + 2 (INT) = +3

Traits:
Positive
* Toughness - (-1 to physical and fatigue damage received)
* Thick-Skinned - (ignore heat/cold modifiers)
Negative
* Compulsion - Chancellor's Will - Ivan's years in the Cappellan Police Force have left him believing death is the only appropriate sentence. (malus to attempt non-lethal damage, when appropriate)
* Enemy - While dispensing justice against an unlawful assembly, a nobleman's son who was out slumming for the night happened to end up among the dead. The nobleman holds Ivan personally responsible.

Life Modules:
Childhood - Street (+1 Streetwise)
Higher Education - Police Acadmey (+1 Intimidation)
Real Life - To Serve and Protect (+1 Small Arms)

Armor:
Concealed Flak Armor (8, -1 B)

Weapons:
Pump Action Shotgun (with underbarrel flashlight)
Magnum Revolver

Inventory:
Vehicle maintenance/tool kit
Personal Communicator
Bearskin winter hat (fitted to allow basic comm/piloting gear to be worn with it)
Box of high quality off-world cigars from Geifer (in small humidor)

Hardware:
Tonbo Superheavy Transport VTOL

Cues:
There are people above the law, but noone is above death.
Hit them hard, hit them fast, and get out before anyone can hit back.
A kind word and a gun will get you more than a kind word alone, but a threatening word and a gun is better yet.

Background:
Like many of the children of non-Citzens of the Confeeration, Ivan grew up on the streets fending for himself. He saw first hand the challenges that the people around him and vowed to make it out. With a short temper and keen senses, Ivan saw joining the planetary Police forces as his path to Citizenship and to help bring justice against the types of criminals he saw on a daily basis in the slums. Working his way up from beat cop to VTOL pilot, he was on his way to higher things, until one night everything was derailed. Ivan had delivered the Chancellor's will to the unlawful masses just as he had learned at the Academy, but unfortunately for him a nobelman's brat had gotten in the mix. The young man had been just as guilty as the rest, but his father made sure Ivan's career ended on the spot. He likely would have done worse, but Ivan knew it was best to put some distance between himself and home. A noble's reach could be long, but space was a large place and there were many others who could use an experienced pilot. Ivan now roams the Sphere as a salvage and transport pilot, especially for hazardous or delicate materials. If some of his clients should happen to find need for his other skills, so much the better.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 1, 2019

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Interested in this, but I have PMs and no PDFs. Alas!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you're still working on a character, try to get it up today.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

quote:

Tag: Dispossessed Mechwarrior hovering between despair and desperation, but too polite to show it.

Name: Kyoko Anderson
Height: 5'4
Weight: 125 (though it was rude of you to ask)
Faction: Kurita
Experience: Regular

Attributes:
STR - 1
RFL - 3
WIL - 1
INT - 2
CHA - 3
EDG - 1

Skills:
Gunnery (Battlemech) 2
Piloting (Battlemech) 2
Small Arms 3
Knowledge (Teas of the Inner Sphere) 1
Technician 2
Protocol 2+1
Tactics 0+1
Melee Weapons 0+1

Traits:
Positive
Good Reputation (Professional)
Prosthetic (Left Leg)
Citizenship (Draconis Combine)

Negative
TDS
Missing Limb (Left Leg)
Unlucky

Life Modules:
Nobility (+1 Protocol)
Military Academy (+1 Tactics)
Tour of Duty (+1 Melee Weapons)

Armor:
Concealed Flak Armor

Weapons:
Hold-Out Needler Pistol
Stunstick

Inventory:
Communicator
Vehicle/Mech Repair Kit
Tool Kit
Respirator

Hardware:
Dispossessed Mechwarrior, banking Hardware Points (2) for possible later use.

Cues:
"There is nothing a powerful man wants more than respect. If you can fake that, you'll go far."
"When you have nothing left to offer, courtesy and professionalism will have to suffice."
"If you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

Background: In 3050, Kyoko was a promising Mechwarrior on her first deployment with the 4th An Ting Legion. Then the Clans came, and her first battle was nearly her last. Shot out of her Panther by a Smoke Jaguar Thor that destroyed her life in passing while on its way to a "real" target, Kyoko was evacuated on the third to last ship out of Itabania without her left leg, her 'mech, and her dreams. For all that she was technically luckier than the rest of her regiment who were hunted down and killed by the Jaguars when their guerrilla campaign in the mountains of Itabania failed. Deemed medically unfit for duty1, ex-Shujin Anderson faced life without anything she had counted on. Traumatized and depressed2, Kyoko has drifted aimlessly through life and around the Inner Sphere, trading her military expertise and moderate technical skills for the C- or H-bills she needs to keep a roof over her head and food in her belly. Having had etiquette and courtesy drilled into her from an early age, Kyoko masks her feelings behind polite smiles and gracious bows. Her knowledge of how to get around in Combine society, as well as her Combine citizenship, caught the eye of a NasDiv recruiter. While Kyoko can muster no enthusiasm for the mission under consideration, neither does the idea of damaging the Combine particularly dismay her. At the moment, she merely exists, waiting either to join her comrades in death, or to find something to actually live for.

1 = Due to a chest injury and the trauma from losing her leg, as well as the hasty nature of the medical care given her on the evacuation dropship, Kyoko's STR has suffered. She also hasn't done much to improve her conditioning, lacking the motivation to properly take care of herself. Theoretically, with some rehabilitation work and improved lifestyle habits, Kyoko could regain some of her weakened health. IE, it's something to spend advancement XP on someday, maybe.

2 = Kyoko's despair has led her to take a "what will be will be" attitude towards life, which admittedly fits well with the somewhat fatalistic Combine society overall. If she feels there's something worth living for, her attitude might improve. Another place for XP to go, should she survive to do so.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The following subcontractors have been forwarded a ticket to Quentin through the secure account associated with one of our Black Guard cutouts:

'Almonzo Grier'
Druhv Singh
Ivashin "Ivan" Makarovich
Rana Khalid
Kyoko Anderson
Song Lin

Arrive at your departure port promptly and be prepared for an extended burn to the JumpShip. Further details will be transmitted once you have made orbit.

e: Thread is here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899826

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 28, 2019

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In case I'm not the only one who is a bit special and caught DI's post before the thread was edited into it and then was awaiting an update, see his post above. :downs:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hey Q_res, we're waiting on you, buddy!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

jng2058 posted:

Hey Q_res, we're waiting on you, buddy!

Oh crap, sorry. On it!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Hey, since we've got this second thread, how's everyone feel about reserving this one for OOC posts and let the main one be purely IC story posts?

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

That would be my preference.

I am available to brainstorm on discord if that is an option. Song Lin should be able to pass the technical requirements for a factory job if the background check could be fudged.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is there a specific discord you want to use for brainstorming, or are we just shanghai-ing the General Kerensky channel in the Battletech one further?

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

I don't know if I have access to the general kerensky one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Leith Maclaine posted:

I don't know if I have access to the general kerensky one.

It's just the SA Battletech discord. Given that there's no cost for them (beyond having one more server in your list), we could just create one specific if thats how we want to handle brainstorming. I'm fine with whatever.