Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Upper left is pretty loving harsh, since it's the annihilation path.

True ending is pretty straight forward, just exhaust all your options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Relin posted:

i think i lucked into the best route for story progression by chance, reveal order wise. all of the right, then upper left, then all the bottom stuff

i dont plan to play his other games (because i've heard about plotholes), but is getting the true ending as straight forward in other titles as in this?

Mostly. The latter two games in the Zero Escape trilogy have way more branches, and some of them involve taking passwords and such from one timeline into another. But I don't think you need to do anything too weird.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure there are only two meaningful locks in this game. You'll know it when you reach it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Relin posted:

i dont plan to play his other games (because i've heard about plotholes), but is getting the true ending as straight forward in other titles as in this?

The 2nd and 3rd zero escape games have flowcharts that make it obvious how to get other endings. The first zero escape game (999) doesn't have a flowchart (or at least the original release did not, not sure about the current PC version?), but it's still mostly obvious how to get other endings.

His older games are all traditional VNs without the puzzle segments, and you may be better off using a guide to get through all of the endings, as some of them require making a series of specific and non-obvious conversation choices over the course of an entire route.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Azathoth256 posted:

The Q reveal was something else. I don't think anything in this game tops it.

Eh, I wasn't a big fan. It technically made sense, but didn't really have much of an impact for me and almost felt like a "big twist for the sake of a big twist." I had a distinct "...okay, I guess?" feeling at the end of that game.

Relin posted:

As far as the other games, the only ones generally highly recommended are the three Zero Escape ones (obviously) and Ever 17 (which has a couple other games in its series, but those are completely unnecessary to it and pretty flawed in their own ways).

The Zero Escape games can pretty much stand on their own, so it's not a "later game doesn't resolve things, retroactively making early ones bad" situation. The plot holes are not that bad and probably not as bad as whatever you're imagining. Both 999 and VLR are pretty much fine in this regard, and even ZTD wasn't that bad (my issue with ZTD was more that I just didn't think the twists were that interesting or good).

Ever17 is all around good and doesn't have any serious plot holes (there might be some minor things but the core plot stuff is all solid). It has some stuff that feels kinda slice-of-life-ish that some people have trouble pushing through, though the payoff is worth it.

While people often talk about the big twist being the highlight of Ever17, the thing I really liked about it is its characters, which are remarkably good for a VN that old. At the beginning they might seem like typical anime people, but the characters (including the female ones) are remarkably independent and goal-driven, and both of the protagonists (there are separate routes where you play as two protagonists) only really have one real love interest. I actually like Ever17 more than any of the Zero Escape games on the whole, even though I can understand peoples' complaints about it. The main reasons I like it more are the characters and the ending having a very satisfying feeling to it.

edit: Probably worth mentioning that Ever17 is a pure visual novel, not a mixed puzzle VN thing like the Zero Escape games and this game.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 6, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
One thing you really need to be aware of with Ever17 is that despite being released in 2002, it's basically a visual novel from the 90s and it plays itself extremely straight. There is no flowchart. You are expected to replay the whole thing several times to get the full story. There are no puzzles, no exploration, just a lot of text and branching options. The official translation is poorly done and broken in places ("kidere", etc.), if you can even get hold of the official English version at a reasonable price (it sells used for well in excess of what you should be paying for a game from 2002).

If you want to play 999, play one of the re-releases that include the flowchart feature; it makes the game much more bearable. There is a collection you can get on Steam with the whole trilogy, I think; even with ZTD being kinda wonky, I would still recommend the series if you liked Somnium Files. They are very much cut from the same Uchikoshi cloth.

All the Zero Escape games play it more or less the same way as Somnium Files: Branching paths that you have to exhaust to get to the true ending. They're merciful in that there is no guessing about where the branches are or what you need to choose to get to a particular route, so it's all just a matter of doing all the content in whatever order takes your fancy.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 6, 2019

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

astr0man posted:

The first zero escape game (999) doesn't have a flowchart (or at least the original release did not, not sure about the current PC version?), but it's still mostly obvious how to get other endings.

The Nonary Games edition on PS4 (and maybe PC?) has a flow chart for 999 (and also includes Virtue's Last Reward), which lets you jump between chapter points, taking the frustration out of having to replay and remember your choices.

It also has updated art and full voices.

It's just a shame it has the "niche japanese game" tax and usually costs £50, which is a lot of money for a couple of decade old games. They go deep discount fairly frequently, however.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Lord Bob posted:

It's just a shame it has the "niche japanese game" tax and usually costs £50, which is a lot of money for a couple of decade old games. They go deep discount fairly frequently, however.

$25 on PC, 20% discount if you get ZTD too. https://store.steampowered.com/app/477740/Zero_Escape_The_Nonary_Games/

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you like this game you should totally play the Zero Escape games. Yes they have some flaws but they are weird and clever and special and deserve to be experienced!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Just got the good ending. Receptionist and I left this bullshit investigation for a resort, so long nerds!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got this on launch and just had the time to start playing it last night and lmao it's great.

No spoilers (I just finished chapter 2? the second somnium) and I feel like Date is related to whatever happened with Iris.

Also "Mizuki couldn't possibly have killed her mom" and then there was a scene of her benching 225lbs

A 12 year old can bench more than me :negative:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A 12 year old can bench me :negative:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

that too!

I'm finishing day 4? and I'm thinking maybe I'm getting to the end of Iris' Path because I'm getting some really bad death knell vibes (showing her the room she was supposedly frozen in)

day 5 Kotaro sure loves his similarities. Iris is telling this whole story about Thoth and Horus and how basically Date is Horus and Thoth is Pewter, and Set is probably whoever #89 is

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 8, 2019

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Game is good. Voicework is solid all around. It's rare that everyone seems on par. Finished The Iris and Mizuki routes. No idea what is going on just yet. I mean yeah I learned a lot but nothing feels tied together just yet.

And every time an action sequence happens I wonder if someone drugged the protag and this some power fantasy parody. :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished Iris, Mizuki, and Ota stories. Man I hate Ota. What a spoiled brat.

EDIT: and that's the epiloge done. :clap:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 11, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I had to play the whole game on the Win 7 beta branch because the regular Steam version's cutscenes kept freezing on my system. It was a good 24-ish hour ride, though. I would rate it similar to 999, just with the somnium sections being more about time resource management than puzzling.
Nice to finally have played an Uchikoshi game that is not about people being stuck somewhere the vast majority of the time.

Argue posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > AI: The Somnium Files - Goons? Internet, heavyset, A-Set!

:perfect:

astr0man posted:

The 2nd and 3rd zero escape games have flowcharts that make it obvious how to get other endings. The first zero escape game (999) doesn't have a flowchart (or at least the original release did not, not sure about the current PC version?), but it's still mostly obvious how to get other endings.

His older games are all traditional VNs without the puzzle segments, and you may be better off using a guide to get through all of the endings, as some of them require making a series of specific and non-obvious conversation choices over the course of an entire route.

The remake of 999 does have a flowchart and even has color coded key symbols on said flowchart to show what points have decisions necessary to unlock two specific paths.

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, I wasn't a big fan. It technically made sense, but didn't really have much of an impact for me and almost felt like a "big twist for the sake of a big twist." I had a distinct "...okay, I guess?" feeling at the end of that game.

As far as the other games, the only ones generally highly recommended are the three Zero Escape ones (obviously) and Ever 17 (which has a couple other games in its series, but those are completely unnecessary to it and pretty flawed in their own ways).

The Zero Escape games can pretty much stand on their own, so it's not a "later game doesn't resolve things, retroactively making early ones bad" situation. The plot holes are not that bad and probably not as bad as whatever you're imagining. Both 999 and VLR are pretty much fine in this regard, and even ZTD wasn't that bad (my issue with ZTD was more that I just didn't think the twists were that interesting or good).

Ever17 is all around good and doesn't have any serious plot holes (there might be some minor things but the core plot stuff is all solid). It has some stuff that feels kinda slice-of-life-ish that some people have trouble pushing through, though the payoff is worth it.

While people often talk about the big twist being the highlight of Ever17, the thing I really liked about it is its characters, which are remarkably good for a VN that old. At the beginning they might seem like typical anime people, but the characters (including the female ones) are remarkably independent and goal-driven, and both of the protagonists (there are separate routes where you play as two protagonists) only really have one real love interest. I actually like Ever17 more than any of the Zero Escape games on the whole, even though I can understand peoples' complaints about it. The main reasons I like it more are the characters and the ending having a very satisfying feeling to it.

edit: Probably worth mentioning that Ever17 is a pure visual novel, not a mixed puzzle VN thing like the Zero Escape games and this game.

I would recommend playing the Zero Escape games before Ever 17, since there are a couple of plot elements that are vaguely similar and you will probably get more enjoyment out of Zero Escape going in blind. It's also easier to get your hands on the Zero Escape games, so less effort before you know if you want to bother with more Uchikoshi stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm deeply confused at this Psycin in the Curtain level. I have literally followed a couple guides perfectly and still ran out of time somehow. I even watched a video and did everything exactly as it happened in the video and ended up like 40 seconds later somehow, even though I chose all the same TIMIES. Very confused.

edit: What the poo poo, all the 1/5 TIMIES in this video are replaced with 1/4 ones for me. I don't think I've ever had a 1/5 TIMIE.

edit2: Ah! In the video it also doesn't do the "TIMIE will not be used" thing it does for me on several of them! What the gently caress! Is this completely different on different consoles or something?

Someone else online mentions the same thing as me and for one of the same events (Drinking the pot). I think it might be an actual bug :(

I hope they fix this or it randomly starts working again next time I play, because I want to find out what happens next.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 14, 2019

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: Ah! In the video it also doesn't do the "TIMIE will not be used" thing it does for me on several of them! What the gently caress! Is this completely different on different consoles or something?

If it's showing the "TIMIE will not be used" warning it means you didn't actually select a timie. You have to press the button to actually activate the timie after you highlight one (not sure which system you are on, but on switch it's L/R to highlight the one you want and A to activate it).

edit: and yeah a lot of the timie's are randomized which is why the ones you get might not line up exactly with whatever video/guide you are following

astr0man fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 14, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

astr0man posted:

If it's showing the "TIMIE will not be used" warning it means you didn't actually select a timie. You have to press the button to actually activate the timie after you highlight one (not sure which system you are on, but on switch it's L/R to highlight the one you want and A to activate it).

edit: and yeah a lot of the timie's are randomized which is why the ones you get might not line up exactly with whatever video/guide you are following

Hm, in that case it's kinda strange that TIMIES ever work for me. I'll try again this time and see if I can avoid the issue though, thanks.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It only shows the warning for really long actions (not sure what the actual cutoff is?) which is why you might not have noticed it until now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

astr0man posted:

It only shows the warning for really long actions (not sure what the actual cutoff is?) which is why you might not have noticed it until now

Ah, that might explain it! Kinda amazing that I got through the other levels if I just flat-out wasn't using TIMIES during them (though it explains why I just barely finished the previous one despite resorting to a guide for that after failing the first couple times).

I probably missed this partly due to the game for some reason not showing correct tooltips for my controller (even though I have my controller selected as the input type it shows keyboard tooltips, so I often have to just experiment to figure out which key is the right one).

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, that might explain it! Kinda amazing that I got through the other levels if I just flat-out wasn't using TIMIES during them (though it explains why I just barely finished the previous one despite resorting to a guide for that after failing the first couple times).

I probably missed this partly due to the game for some reason not showing correct tooltips for my controller (even though I have my controller selected as the input type it shows keyboard tooltips, so I often have to just experiment to figure out which key is the right one).

Most of the early levels don't really require TIMIES to pass, even if some may end up with very little time left over. It seemingly ramps up a lot towards the last 1/3 of the game or so.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I've seen several people have this problem on streams of the game, and it really cements that the UI of the game w.r.t. using timies really isn't good. It's way too easy to get bamboozled into thinking you used one, only to get no warning, waste time, and not even notice because who keeps track of the timer that closely anyway? And if you were full on timies and get a new one as a result, you might not even notice that the one you thought you chose wasn't the one that got booted out of the queue.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it's weird that you have to press A to 'Confirm' using a timie honestly. You use them pretty much constantly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat, Mizuki can bench over 200lb.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Just finished wrapping up all the endings. I really liked this VN! I think between this, the Zero Escape games, and Ever17, AI is the overall best of them. I think VLR and ZTD may have higher highs and more crazy "what the gently caress" moments, but AI was more consistent. Plus being entirely self-contained helps AI a lot too.

Still don't like Ota. In fact I liked him more when I thought he was 16, then it turns out he's 24 and it's all way worse.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I can't believe how little attention this game is getting even here on this nerdy dead website, it's almost criminal. Only four pages (and another four pages on the spoiler thread) in a month.

I think the problem is its a steep price for the kind of game it is. And for a visual novel it is a little shorter (999 is kinda shorter if you're decent at puzzles, but doing all of vlr and ztd takes much more time) than the prior uchi games.

If you've enjoyed any of the prior uchi games you own it to yourself to pay full price for this as soon as you can afford it. I hope he can keep making games, I genuinely enjoy his stories.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

And for a visual novel it is a little shorter (999 is kinda shorter if you're decent at puzzles, but doing all of vlr and ztd takes much more time) than the prior uchi games.

You know, I felt that way too after finishing it, but it turns out according to Steam I beat Zero Time Dilemma in 22 hours and this in 25. That seems about average... VLR was a bit longer, though.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I'm a terrible poster but loved this game. It has more similarities to point and click adventure games than most visual novels if that's turning off anyone curious.

What I liked:
Date and Aiba have an amazingly entertaining buddy cop dynamic.
Story Flowchart let me jump back to any point after I hit a dead end. Flowcharts own
Story branches are not direct decisions but rather how dreamworld puzzle sections are solved

What I didn't like:
It runs like butt on Switch
Time limits suck and distilled puzzle solving to trial and error. Thankfully checkpoints are always extremely generous.

I might recommend getting it on PS4 or PC if portability isn't a concern. Being a story based game, frame-rate is negligible and won't ruin the experience. Except characters frequently reference something off-screen, which is then displayed in a sub-window. Performance takes a hit while loading assets for this, reducing FPS significantly. It also occasionally takes too long, leading to awkward pauses mid-conversation, sometimes even in the middle of a dramatic moment, dampening the experience. Has anyone had this experience on other platforms?

It's my first Uchikoshi game and now I have his other works on my 'to-play' list. except I just started up 428 and Dragon Quest 11 S at the same time like a genius. It's going to be a while.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ineffiable posted:

I can't believe how little attention this game is getting even here on this nerdy dead website, it's almost criminal. Only four pages (and another four pages on the spoiler thread) in a month.

I think the problem is its a steep price for the kind of game it is. And for a visual novel it is a little shorter (999 is kinda shorter if you're decent at puzzles, but doing all of vlr and ztd takes much more time) than the prior uchi games.

If you've enjoyed any of the prior uchi games you own it to yourself to pay full price for this as soon as you can afford it. I hope he can keep making games, I genuinely enjoy his stories.

I think it’s just hard to keep a conversation going about it. It’s a great game but a lot of the good stuff I’d like sell the game on kind is spoilerly. Also in real life most people I talk to don’t play this type of game so I have a hard time pushing it.

It was definitely worth the full price I paid, that’s for sure.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Colorspray posted:

I'm a terrible poster but loved this game. It has more similarities to point and click adventure games than most visual novels if that's turning off anyone curious.

What I liked:
Date and Aiba have an amazingly entertaining buddy cop dynamic.
Story Flowchart let me jump back to any point after I hit a dead end. Flowcharts own
Story branches are not direct decisions but rather how dreamworld puzzle sections are solved

What I didn't like:
It runs like butt on Switch
Time limits suck and distilled puzzle solving to trial and error. Thankfully checkpoints are always extremely generous.

I might recommend getting it on PS4 or PC if portability isn't a concern. Being a story based game, frame-rate is negligible and won't ruin the experience. Except characters frequently reference something off-screen, which is then displayed in a sub-window. Performance takes a hit while loading assets for this, reducing FPS significantly. It also occasionally takes too long, leading to awkward pauses mid-conversation, sometimes even in the middle of a dramatic moment, dampening the experience. Has anyone had this experience on other platforms?

It's my first Uchikoshi game and now I have his other works on my 'to-play' list. except I just started up 428 and Dragon Quest 11 S at the same time like a genius. It's going to be a while.

I played it in a ps4 pro and only maybe twice did the 'sub screen' freeze for almost a whole second. Sometimes you can't skip through it so even though I was using r2 to speed up stuff I've seen before, it took a second for the window to close before going back to text and speeding up again.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh yeah, on the Switch it could take multiple seconds to load up that one video of Shoko looking around for the 50th time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh yeah, on the Switch it could take multiple seconds to load up that one video of Shoko looking around for the 50th time.

I appreciate those offscreen videos and it makes for nice refreshers but they really use them a lot. I swear there's one scene where you see the same gif of renju adjusting his suit more than four times before the conversation topic is over.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

liked when they had to load up the mermaid saying one line like 5 times

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah I like them too, it's just a tiny bit annoying on the switch version due to the downtime between them loading up.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Is the "polishing a dried bonito" a sex allegory?? I need to know before I can play any further.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Polishing the bonito represents the search for truth

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Surprise!

https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/1410392839750492160

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 1, 2021

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm hype, but I don't think Uchikoshi is involved, he's like off in Too Kyo land. Really curious if it's gonna work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

first game is on sale btw

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1410393268190212098?s=21