Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The famitsu article says he's still in charge of the scenario. Nothing in english yet but I think their announcement plans bugged out a bit since the website was acting up for a few minutes and chunsoft deleted and reupped their announcement tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

an actual dog posted:

I'm hype, but I don't think Uchikoshi is involved, he's like off in Too Kyo land. Really curious if it's gonna work.

he was there for the first game too

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

an actual dog posted:

I'm hype, but I don't think Uchikoshi is involved, he's like off in Too Kyo land. Really curious if it's gonna work.

the trailer directly states its 'by team zeroescape' which makes me feel like he's involved

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://s.famitsu.com/news/202107/01225576.html

quote:

The main staff has been taken over from the previous work, and Mr. Kotaro Uchikoshi of the " Zero Escape " (" ZERO ESCAPE ") series is in charge of the scenario this time as well. Mr. Masaru Okada, who worked on the "ZERO ESCAPE" series with Mr. Uchikoshimachi and was the director of "Ai: The Somnium File", is also in charge of the director this time.

Director: Masaru Okada
Scenario: Kotaro Uchikoshi
Character design: Yusuke Kozaki
Sound: Ito Keisuke

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 1, 2021

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yea it's the same team! Rad!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Very excited for this

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cool. Switching to Mizuki/Aiba makes sense, their dynamic should be pretty different. Hoping for another good high concept sci-fi murder mystery.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Very glad the game did well enough to get a sequel. I know there was that other game Uchikoshi was working on, but it didn't look very interesting. I don't think I have seen anyone say anything about it either, so I haven't bothered playing it.

Also glad they got the memo that Mizuki was the best character and focused on her. I loved the first game but it was way more Iris focused in the end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Mizuki ending was by far the best.

I hope they never explain why she's got super strength.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that up to like, 12 hours before the announcement, there was a link https://www.spike-chunsoft.co.jp/nine-eyes-tv/en/ (now defunct, just redirects to nirvana) with 9 eyes, each holding a little cipher that, when combined, spells out NIRVANA INITIATIVE, which you could input to see the timer until the announcement.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I hope they do another vtuber show leading up to release

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
CYBER PIPE

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/pechvogeI/status/1410396081628893186?s=20

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh poo poo, Mizuki as the protagonist.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am incredibly excited for this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Perhaps not the longest yeah boy of my life, but certainly a very big one.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Polderjoch posted:

One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that up to like, 12 hours before the announcement, there was a link https://www.spike-chunsoft.co.jp/nine-eyes-tv/en/ (now defunct, just redirects to nirvana) with 9 eyes, each holding a little cipher that, when combined, spells out NIRVANA INITIATIVE, which you could input to see the timer until the announcement.

Apparently if you looked in the source code of the page there was a url with the text ai-nirvana that gave a 404 but was an early hint as to the fact that it was a sequel that was going to be announced. That trailer is really exciting though. Mizuki is such a fun character.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/1410419049993887749

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Wait, it's Somnium led by the guy who did Zero Escape? Fuuuuuuuuuck yes

I thought I posted about this before but apparently not in this thread? I loved Somnium but despite the fun twists, after Zero Escape I was expecting the game to continue going off the loving rails with the multiple timelines and brain-jumping premise. One of my favorite aspects of ZE was how insane the story got in each game until the end of the third game, which is still one of my favorite plot twists in any title. Hoping AI follows the same path where each subsequent game goes further and further off the rails, though perhaps that's just me.

For those curious about the twist at the end of Zero Escape III and don't plan to play the game: The badguy is Q, a deaf/mute wheelchair-bound man who's been with the party the entire time, just slightly out of frame in each shot. Whenever Q is being talked to, the camera focuses on a different character actually named Sean. Each conversation is carefully crafted to make the player believe Sean is Q until the very end of the game, when the camera pulls back and the real Q (who the player has never seen) stands up revealing he is the enemy and neither deaf, mute, or paralyzed. Easily the most bonkers and fun twist I've ever seen.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 1, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I hope it fixes the biggest plothole in the original game ie no lesbians. You said you loved them all!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I hope it fixes the biggest plothole in the original game ie no lesbians. You said you loved them all!

The monkey's paw curls, as Mizuki starts to uncontrollably ogle every woman you meet in the game.

Atoramos posted:

Wait, it's Somnium led by the guy who did Zero Escape? Fuuuuuuuuuck yes

I thought I posted about this before but apparently not in this thread? I loved Somnium but despite the fun twists, after Zero Escape I was expecting the game to continue going off the loving rails with the multiple timelines and brain-jumping premise. One of my favorite aspects of ZE was how insane the story got in each game until the end of the third game, which is still one of my favorite plot twists in any title. Hoping AI follows the same path where each subsequent game goes further and further off the rails, though perhaps that's just me.

I kind of liked the rather subdued nature of AI. It still had some twists and turns, but they were nicely telegraphed and gave you a really good feeling when it all clicked together in your head before it was revealed. Personally I'm hoping for the same level of craziness as the first game, but I wouldn't mind if it was more along the lines of VLR/999. Just no hidden villains slightly off-camera, please.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 1, 2021

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah AI wasn't as crazy as the others but darn if the characters didn't have heart, and is my favorite for that reason. As long as they don't lose sight of that then ramping up the :wtc: sounds fine.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Arrrthritis posted:

The monkey's paw curls, as Mizuki starts to uncontrollably ogle every woman you meet in the game.

I kind of liked the rather subdued nature of AI. It still had some twists and turns, but they were nicely telegraphed and gave you a really good feeling when it all clicked together in your head before it was revealed. Personally I'm hoping for the same level of craziness as the first game, but I wouldn't mind if it was more along the lines of VLR/999. Just no hidden villains slightly off-camera, please.

lol I just added that bit to my post. I loved that twist and thought it was an incredible way to handle the need to continue ramping up the plot in each game. Especially compared to Danganronpa which is also a great series but handles the plot escalation between each game a bit worse.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 1, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The twist in AI isn't as wild as what you got in ZE or the Infinity games but I thought it made for a really effective mystery. The entire case is completely baffling until you work out/are told the twist and then it all suddenly makes sense (and there's a lot of good foreshadowing for it in retrospect).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
999 remains the ebst of the trilogy for me, and Mizuki is playing it in that trailer.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gerfrf3qo9I

Mizuki is humming the A-set song in the intro :q:

170mm Aiba figurine with the collector's edition?

:sigh:

:lron:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0983Y7VV1/

CE preorders are up. I figure just preorder now and if the figure turns out to look lovely you can cancel it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0983Y7VV1/

CE preorders are up. I figure just preorder now and if the figure turns out to look lovely you can cancel it

I want it on steam but put the preorder in anyways just in case there isn't another option

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I honestly love the smaller stakes in AI so I hope the sequel doesn't escalate to dumb poo poo

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'm looking forward to the combination of Aiba's BS predicative abilities and Mizuki's BS physical abilities letting them do even more absolutely ridiculous nonsense. Mizuki better both suplex a train and beat a tank in a fistfight!

Seriously though, yeah I also appreciated the more toned down twist/mysteries of AI. I thought it gave the characters a lot more room to breathe and I hope they keep that up.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The number one change from the previous game I want is either more or less descriptive text for objects, or some sort of indicator to distinguish whether something is worth inspecting. 90% of the time you'd just get highlight "Bench" and get "A bench." but the rest of the 10% was amusing enough to deal with the mad tedium.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Preordered a special edition.

Even if I don't end up liking the game (which seems highly unlikely), I liked regular AI:SF enough that I'm happy to give it more money.

Now I have to make myself forget this is coming for the next year or so.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The cruelest prank this world has played on me is when i saw Amazon listing the release date as August, only to later realize it said 2022

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hopefully they find something else to do for somnium gameplay. It was annoying that picking the funny options generally wasted time and made you start over.

Zeron posted:

I'm looking forward to the combination of Aiba's BS predicative abilities and Mizuki's BS physical abilities letting them do even more absolutely ridiculous nonsense. Mizuki better both suplex a train and beat a tank in a fistfight!
Looking forward to Mizuki's techno-pipe having a bunch of ammo modes

MonsieurChoc posted:

I hope they never explain why she's got super strength.
They already did. It's dolphin atavism

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

Hopefully they find something else to do for somnium gameplay

I agree, as I said in my review in more words:

quote:

Thus, it does not leave the Somnium open for you to do whatever you think works, but the game expects you to complete actions in a specific manner that the game wants. This is neither a negative or positive by itself, but it does mean that a lot of the interactables on the field become frivolous and for some people, it means retrying the somnium over and over until you find the right interactive menus in the right order.

This doesn’t make the player feel especially smart, because while the game does say that “dreams are weird and actions that may make sense in the real world, don’t work the same way in Somnium”, it is frustrating trying to understand what the developer thought by trial and error. I suppose you could also look up a guide, but then you’re removing the whole aspect of the somniums out of the game other than the experience of seeing them, and at that point, it may as well be a cutscene. You could also make the argument that this increases the replayability of the somniums for you to find the quirky text or actions to make the characters do, but I don’t feel like knowing those adds any meaningful substance in the game other than adding potential memes to share online. I suppose the only way to “fix” these would have been to remove the time limit, but removing the time limit doesn’t actually fix the systemic issue with them in the first place. Removing the time limit would have made it more like a Zero Escape game, though, and it is already a game that is trying slightly to distance itself from that series to begin with.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the somniums were cool story and visual wise but they don't have to keep the same gameplay gimmick. Doing it as a more standard 'escape room' type puzzle (still keeping the diverging locks) would be fine.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I wasn't even generally frustrated in terms of figuring out what they wanted to advance the thing. I'm not expecting making Aiba tackle a potted plant or wear the soup pot on her head to actually help, it's just funny & usually had good dialog

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

I wasn't even generally frustrated in terms of figuring out what they wanted to advance the thing. I'm not expecting making Aiba tackle a potted plant or wear the soup pot on her head to actually help, it's just funny & usually had good dialog

But, some of those actions did, they didn't make sense to me, which seemed to be intentional because zany rather than smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I personally felt like the Somniums had a specific dream logic to them, and that a lot of the fun of the game was figuring out what that logic was supposed to be. I enjoyed the hell out of them, especially Mayumi's. And Date's. And Iris'..

It would be nice for them to make some QoL changes to them; maybe make it less penalizing to take the funny actions, but apart from that I hope they remain a big part of the next game.