Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I can't believe how little attention this game is getting even here on this nerdy dead website, it's almost criminal. Only four pages (and another four pages on the spoiler thread) in a month.

I think the problem is its a steep price for the kind of game it is. And for a visual novel it is a little shorter (999 is kinda shorter if you're decent at puzzles, but doing all of vlr and ztd takes much more time) than the prior uchi games.

If you've enjoyed any of the prior uchi games you own it to yourself to pay full price for this as soon as you can afford it. I hope he can keep making games, I genuinely enjoy his stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Colorspray posted:

I'm a terrible poster but loved this game. It has more similarities to point and click adventure games than most visual novels if that's turning off anyone curious.

What I liked:
Date and Aiba have an amazingly entertaining buddy cop dynamic.
Story Flowchart let me jump back to any point after I hit a dead end. Flowcharts own
Story branches are not direct decisions but rather how dreamworld puzzle sections are solved

What I didn't like:
It runs like butt on Switch
Time limits suck and distilled puzzle solving to trial and error. Thankfully checkpoints are always extremely generous.

I might recommend getting it on PS4 or PC if portability isn't a concern. Being a story based game, frame-rate is negligible and won't ruin the experience. Except characters frequently reference something off-screen, which is then displayed in a sub-window. Performance takes a hit while loading assets for this, reducing FPS significantly. It also occasionally takes too long, leading to awkward pauses mid-conversation, sometimes even in the middle of a dramatic moment, dampening the experience. Has anyone had this experience on other platforms?

It's my first Uchikoshi game and now I have his other works on my 'to-play' list. except I just started up 428 and Dragon Quest 11 S at the same time like a genius. It's going to be a while.

I played it in a ps4 pro and only maybe twice did the 'sub screen' freeze for almost a whole second. Sometimes you can't skip through it so even though I was using r2 to speed up stuff I've seen before, it took a second for the window to close before going back to text and speeding up again.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh yeah, on the Switch it could take multiple seconds to load up that one video of Shoko looking around for the 50th time.

I appreciate those offscreen videos and it makes for nice refreshers but they really use them a lot. I swear there's one scene where you see the same gif of renju adjusting his suit more than four times before the conversation topic is over.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm so excited for a new Sominum Files game!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Honestly I loved every one of the zero escape games and the AI games (I think AI2 is stronger than the first in most ways except maybe the overall plot) but I am just here for uchikoshi's wild ride and enjoying what they put together.

I do miss the more escape puzzles that the Zero Escape games were more about so hopefully they can try to do that style again.