Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it's weird that you have to press A to 'Confirm' using a timie honestly. You use them pretty much constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cool. Switching to Mizuki/Aiba makes sense, their dynamic should be pretty different. Hoping for another good high concept sci-fi murder mystery.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I hope it fixes the biggest plothole in the original game ie no lesbians. You said you loved them all!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The twist in AI isn't as wild as what you got in ZE or the Infinity games but I thought it made for a really effective mystery. The entire case is completely baffling until you work out/are told the twist and then it all suddenly makes sense (and there's a lot of good foreshadowing for it in retrospect).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the somniums were cool story and visual wise but they don't have to keep the same gameplay gimmick. Doing it as a more standard 'escape room' type puzzle (still keeping the diverging locks) would be fine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Date could just be out of town or something. Voice communications only!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Until I read one of the reviews it hadn't occurred to me that the game needs two protagonists to investigate at the two different times the body was found.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He loves them all.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having just finished, yeah I agree that there wasn't any narrative justification for Mizuki's side of the timeline being scrambled. It makes a lot of sense for Ryuki given that he's "stuck in the past" and obviously very confused, but it doesn't end up having much impact as a twist for him. It's weird because all the Mizuki scenes definitely "make sense" with the new timeline (in fact there's a lot of stuff that very obviously didn't fit when you first read the scenes), there's just really no reason they should've been shown in that order.

I'm kindof surprised they didn't use Aiba as the motivation - if she got her memories scrambled rather than just deleted that could've provided some motivation.

LostRook posted:

I imagine this game will be controversial as: ending spoiler like ZTD it makes the player a character and doesn't explain why it does that very much which makes the twist feel arbitrary.
I think this worked OK though, even if it's something Uchikoshi has tried multiple times before. Tokiko talks about how doing bizarre, inexplicable poo poo is what will cause the glitch to come about. On a metatextual level, the idea is presumably that you can only attract a "Frayer" by giving them something interesting to experience - afterall, you wouldn't play a game in which nothing happens. So she needs to create a bizarre mystery to attract a "Frayer" and execute her plan.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 4, 2022

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah if you replay the "present" Ryuki sections he clearly thinks "yesterday six years ago" happened yesterday. As an example:

So that half of the twist makes sense narratively, it's the other half that is a lot more questionable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Glad that Uchikoshi seems to have found something of a niche in the west now.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was a truly incredible twist that unfortunately works a lot less well in English lookup how you say '9' in Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Pewter thing didn't really bother me. I can believe some strings could be pulled to keep using someone who seems to be completely irreplaceable to the psync program.