Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I imagine this game will be controversial as: ending spoiler like ZTD it makes the player a character and doesn't explain why it does that very much which makes the twist feel arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

KonvexKonkav posted:

You're right and I don't like that the game is that way. The 1st game did a very good job of putting you in Date's shoes. At any time you pretty much had exactly the same information he would have had (if you take into account that he can remember stuff from parallel timelines). The way it's written here it's almost as if Mizuki is working against you, that she's withholding information from you. To put it in another way: The cyclops serial killer case was pretty confusing until you figured out the twist, but you had a fair chance of getting it out before the official reveal. Here it feels more like Uchikoshi's cheating.

The twist is that the player is also a character, the frayer, and that the timeline shenanigans were a way for the Tokiko/NAIX-godbeast to trick you into breaking reality and allow Tokiko to ascend to godhood. Just like ZTD where the twist is that Zero is waging war against you the player.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I enjoyed ZTD, but that's largely based on assuming that Zero is lying about most things about himself and is really conducting a war against Blickwinkel/the Player.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Has anyone solved the man robs ghost code?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Polderjoch posted:

Yes, actually, and also Bats490, MAN ROBS GHOST is just a key used to decrypt the rest of the symbols in the videos; here's the copied solutions:

NIRVANA TRIAL SOLUTION:
G A => Gallium => 3 1
B R => Bromine => 3 5
T M => Thullium => 6 9
O S => Osmium => 7 6
H O => Holmium => 6 7
N , => Nitrogen => 7 ,

unzip to get 35666,139777 => 35.666 N, 139.777 E

(Same location given in the Bats490 video)

drat, that's impressive. I should've figured out the last one since the video ends with ATOM but was overthinking it. Oh well, thanks for the answer

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my god. I just finished the game and it's just the loving worst, holy poo poo. I even liked ZTD fairly clumsy story but this is just the worst.

Literally every single main character has convenient amnesia just to make the mediocre twist work.
There was barely any setup for it either and whatever setup there was was just contrived, and the big twist itself is more or less a reused version of one of the twists from ZTD but with infinitely worse setup.
The filler in this one was the worst yet, I couldn't help but audibly groan every time they did the same repeated lovely unfunny jokes over and over and over ad nauseum.

I already felt like the first game was a step down from Zero Escape games, but overall I left the first Somnium Files with positive feeling but this one is just awful. The only positive thing I can say about it is that none of the new characters were as hateable as Ota was in the first game.

The only one that has amnesia is Ryuki, and it's more akin to two sets of memories; one while you possess him and one while you don't. Tama is holding stuff back because she doesn't want to make him worse and Boss is being shady.

There's also quite a bit of setup of the twists the time one, the Mizuki one and the extradimensional being one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Tama, Bibi, Date and Aiba all have partial amnesia so that the stupid twist can work.

Tama and Aiba make sense as Tearer is responsible for it, and is actually a major piece of the main culprits plan to break reality.

I don't remember Bibi having amnesia though. I suppose if there was something you could chalk it up to possession like Ryuki, but it does put more handwaving on the player than a story should.

The Date amnesia was definitely dumb though. Should've killed him, would've made the new reality epilogue more impactful.