Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This game is pretty neat. These contemporary "3d anime-style" games look really great on an OLED tv. Even though I'm pretty early into the game, I already have some guesses about what one of the twists might be.

It's good to hear that the net impression of the game is apparently positive. I feel like Zero Time Dilemma's issue was largely that it wrote itself into a corner with the previous games, so hopefully starting a new IP allows them to have a better total plot. The bummer about ZTD is that the game itself was still very enjoyable, but that enjoyment largely came from the expectation of plot twists being resolved in a satisfying way (which wasn't really fulfilled).

vvv The main twist was still kinda lovely, even if you ignore connecting it with the other games.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the general atmosphere to this game for some reason. Like the way environments look combined with the music, and also how there's scenes of you actually driving and talking to people in the car.

That's actually kinda something new to this "series" given the other well-known games (all the Zero Escape games and Ever17) took place in enclosed areas. Though Ever17 was also really great with the "atmosphere" stuff, largely thanks to its music (which has a very nostalgic "90s/early 2000s VN" sort of feel to it).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Azathoth256 posted:

The Q reveal was something else. I don't think anything in this game tops it.

Eh, I wasn't a big fan. It technically made sense, but didn't really have much of an impact for me and almost felt like a "big twist for the sake of a big twist." I had a distinct "...okay, I guess?" feeling at the end of that game.

Relin posted:

i dont plan to play his other games (because i've heard about plotholes), but is getting the true ending as straight forward in other titles as in this?

As far as the other games, the only ones generally highly recommended are the three Zero Escape ones (obviously) and Ever 17 (which has a couple other games in its series, but those are completely unnecessary to it and pretty flawed in their own ways).

The Zero Escape games can pretty much stand on their own, so it's not a "later game doesn't resolve things, retroactively making early ones bad" situation. The plot holes are not that bad and probably not as bad as whatever you're imagining. Both 999 and VLR are pretty much fine in this regard, and even ZTD wasn't that bad (my issue with ZTD was more that I just didn't think the twists were that interesting or good).

Ever17 is all around good and doesn't have any serious plot holes (there might be some minor things but the core plot stuff is all solid). It has some stuff that feels kinda slice-of-life-ish that some people have trouble pushing through, though the payoff is worth it.

While people often talk about the big twist being the highlight of Ever17, the thing I really liked about it is its characters, which are remarkably good for a VN that old. At the beginning they might seem like typical anime people, but the characters (including the female ones) are remarkably independent and goal-driven, and both of the protagonists (there are separate routes where you play as two protagonists) only really have one real love interest. I actually like Ever17 more than any of the Zero Escape games on the whole, even though I can understand peoples' complaints about it. The main reasons I like it more are the characters and the ending having a very satisfying feeling to it.

edit: Probably worth mentioning that Ever17 is a pure visual novel, not a mixed puzzle VN thing like the Zero Escape games and this game.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 6, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm deeply confused at this Psycin in the Curtain level. I have literally followed a couple guides perfectly and still ran out of time somehow. I even watched a video and did everything exactly as it happened in the video and ended up like 40 seconds later somehow, even though I chose all the same TIMIES. Very confused.

edit: What the poo poo, all the 1/5 TIMIES in this video are replaced with 1/4 ones for me. I don't think I've ever had a 1/5 TIMIE.

edit2: Ah! In the video it also doesn't do the "TIMIE will not be used" thing it does for me on several of them! What the gently caress! Is this completely different on different consoles or something?

Someone else online mentions the same thing as me and for one of the same events (Drinking the pot). I think it might be an actual bug :(

I hope they fix this or it randomly starts working again next time I play, because I want to find out what happens next.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 14, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

astr0man posted:

If it's showing the "TIMIE will not be used" warning it means you didn't actually select a timie. You have to press the button to actually activate the timie after you highlight one (not sure which system you are on, but on switch it's L/R to highlight the one you want and A to activate it).

edit: and yeah a lot of the timie's are randomized which is why the ones you get might not line up exactly with whatever video/guide you are following

Hm, in that case it's kinda strange that TIMIES ever work for me. I'll try again this time and see if I can avoid the issue though, thanks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

astr0man posted:

It only shows the warning for really long actions (not sure what the actual cutoff is?) which is why you might not have noticed it until now

Ah, that might explain it! Kinda amazing that I got through the other levels if I just flat-out wasn't using TIMIES during them (though it explains why I just barely finished the previous one despite resorting to a guide for that after failing the first couple times).

I probably missed this partly due to the game for some reason not showing correct tooltips for my controller (even though I have my controller selected as the input type it shows keyboard tooltips, so I often have to just experiment to figure out which key is the right one).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat, Mizuki can bench over 200lb.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This might be a weird opinion but I feel like with the Ai series specifically the crazy plot and batshit writing almost takes a side seat to the character writing as being more of what Uchikoshi seems to want to really go in on. Both games have some really endearing characters with nice moments and complex motivations and stuff. I think perhaps the first game was a little better with this (I still tear up at hearing the theme to Mayumi's Somnium as just one example) but both games have moments that really hooked my feelings and got me invested that had little or no relevance to the actual big crazy plot. For what the story writing can sometimes lack in cohesion or whatnot I think the character writing is exceptional.

Also I just want to hug Gen and protect him forever.

I wasn't a big fan of the main twists in the first game, so I'm not sure what to make of people who preferred them to whatever happens in the second (which I haven't gotten around to playing yet). They weren't bad, but the sort of thing where I just go "oh okay, I guess that makes sense." Specifically the stuff with the main villain repeatedly swapping bodies is the sort of "trick" that isn't that satisfying to discover. It's not really the sort of thing where you can easily think back to previous events in the story and realize that a bunch of stuff makes sense now that didn't make sense. I liked the reveal about the protagonist's identity, though. I really hope that he's together with Hitomi in NI (which I guess I'll find out soon once I actually start playing).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Huh I mean that's exactly how I would describe the twist in the first game because it immediately makes every weird thing make perfect sense. Throughout the game characters keep suddenly starting to act really weird and when you finally realize that it's all the same guy taking over their minds everything clicks into place. I won't comment on how the second one compares since you haven't played it yet.

I kinda explained that wrong; it makes sense, but in a way that just wasn't particularly mind-blowing.

I still really liked the game, though; the core story was good and none of the twists annoyed me like in ZTD or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually enjoyed the act of playing ZTD a lot. I liked most of the characters and their interactions, etc. It's just the core plot twists and ending that sucked, so I ended the game with a bad taste in my mouth.