Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch
Hot: -1 | Cold: 2 | Vol: -1 | Dark: +1
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0

I'm keeping my head down and doing homework as usual when Damien leans over to talk, and I restrain an eye roll when he settles on basketball as something I've just got to be interested in. But look, I'm not made of stone. A night out with some people who actually want me around? Booze and designer drugs? Yeah, I could put up with a bit of tone-deaf outreach for that.

So, I lean back and whisper, "Sure. What time?" I think for a moment, then decide to lean into the basketball thing, "Also, I can get there a little early if you want to get beat before the audience gets there."

quote:

Name: Jay Brewer
Look: Guarded, Calculating Eyes
Origin: Dabbler

Stats
Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Moves

Sympathetic Tokens

You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

Bide My Time
If you’ve got a sympathetic token against someone, add 1 to all rolls to hold steady against their actions or to run away from them.

Cold as Ice
When you successfully shut someone down (7 up), you may choose an extra option from the 7-9 list.

Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark.
On a 10 up, the Hex works and can easily be reversed.
On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
the casting does you 1 harm;
the Hex has unexpected side effects;
trigger your Darkest Self.

Ring of Lies
Whenever the person attempts to lie, they hear a piercing ringing noise. Big lies will often make their knees buckle and disorient them. Severe lies can cause harm or even brain damage.

Wither
The person loses all of their hair, or their teeth start rotting and falling out, or their period comes and it comes by the bucketful, or their skin gets all sickly yellow and spotty. Whatever the specifics, it’s bad.

Sex Move
After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it’s cool.

Darkest Self
The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1

I look around at people smiling at me, and for a moment, I forget where I am. I grin at the pair of them, saying, "Well, I'll probably need a change after our game." I cock my head at Winter, saying, "I could just bring a change of clothes, but what do you have in mind?" Presuming it's in good taste (not a bad assumption when it comes to Winter), I agree. For a moment, I wonder why she has boy's clothes. But, well, my family is well off, but her's is rich. I've heard of weirder hobbies, and she's got the money to burn. Then, Krystal lets me know she's really excited to see me there, and that reminds me of where I am. I glance around, and sure enough, Hale is staring daggers at me. Nothing is ever this simple. But you know what? I'm gonna have a good time, and the only way to make sure that doesn't happen is to make sure he's got bigger problems.

I look back at Krystal, saying non-comicality, "Yeah, should be fun." Not a lot of time until tonight, so I have to get this moving. I say, "Actually. Hold that thought. I'll be right back." I stand up and ask Mr. Cook to let me go to the bathroom, and he agrees without even looking up from his work. Once I'm in the hall, I don't look behind me, instead bolting straight to the bathroom and lock a stall behind me. I kneel down and stare into the toilet. It's not exactly a scrying bowl, but it'll suffice. I wave my hand over the water and softly chant, conjuring a vision of how best to get a token from Hale. I know there's... other options to conjure visions, but I don't need them. No, I'm not desperate.

I'm in control.

@Jay Brewer: 2d6+1 gaze into the toliet = (4+1)+1 = 6

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

I stumble to my feet, then after our mutual moment of surprise passes, I try and force my way past him. If I'm lucky, I can get to the class before he grabs me.

failed run away

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

Wheezing, I try to escape, but as he pushes me further down towards the toilet, I let out a yell of fury and fling an arm up, trying to get a hold of his hair.

I'm so pissed at this point that I'm not even really thinking. If I get a hold of him, I'm not sure if I'd use my grip to pry him off of me and or if I'd use my grip to pull out some hair as a token.

Failed Hold Steady

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

I look up at him, eyes defiant, saying, "What, you can't get a girl to like you, so you decide you're gonna play caveman? Pathetic."

I'm still not even sure if I really like Krystal, to be honest, but I'll be hosed before I let this rear end in a top hat make the decision for me.

When I hear Billie yell into the bathroom, I can't help but laugh, wheezing a little as I say, "You gotta admit, she's got your number. This is probably as close as you're going to get to fuckin' before prom."

@Jay Brewer: 2d6+2 shut down = (4+1)+2 = 7
We both lose strings on each other.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

Like hell I'm gonna stay put. As soon as he's out of sight, I get to my feet and head to the door.

By that time, he's duking it out with Billie. drat, I really do owe her at this point. I'll sort that out later, but for now...

Hale's brawling with Billie to... hell, I don't even know at this point. Prove he's not a bigot by punching the person who said he was? What an idiot.

Who needs an omen for advice when the perfect opportunity just falls into your lap?

I rush Hale from behind. I latch onto him and grab him by the hair. I'm not trying to really hurt him, and while I manage to turn him around enough to probably feel dizzy, he eventually gets me off. But it's too late. I close my fist tighter on the strands of hair and grin. Oh, this will be sweet.

I just have to figure out whens the best time to curse him.

[I]got a 10+ on my hold steady to rip out some hair, and I'll take +1 forward[/i>]

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch
Harm: 1/4 | XP: 1

I'm about to turn tail and bolt when Hale pounces and pins Billie to the ground. I leap into... well, no. I do hesitate a second. I mean, I've got what I need, and I really don't want to tangle with Hale directly. But... well... Billie's the reason I'm currently not choking on toilet water. I can't just leave her like that. So, I run up to them and start prying him off Billie. While he's flailing to get me off, I say, "Some protector you are, smacking around the first girl that backtalks you." Then, I finally rip him off and send him tumbling headfirst into the lockers.

2d6+1 using forward to beat up the white knight = (4+2)+1 = 7
Giving Hale a string

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch
Harm: 2/4 | XP: 2

Yeah, whatever, rear end in a top hat. I wave my hand in his general direction in a general "get lost" gesture, then I lean down on my knees and let out a deep sigh of exhaustion from the adrenaline crash. I look up at Billie, and genuinely thankful, I say, "Hey, thanks. For lending a hand. Fucker was gonna kill me in there."

As the last drops of water fall off my face, I look around, then dust myself off a little, saying, "So... guess we should head back to class, huh?"

Failed turn on

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

Of course! I'm already set for what's going to happen here, but I can't help it. The inherent unfairness of this gets me to say, "Are you kidding me? You let Hale stalk me to the bathroom where he half drowns me, and Billie has to tear him off me, and we're the ones in trouble? You know that's crazy, right?"

Shut down the teacher with a 10
Taking a string

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

I look over to Billie, concerned for a moment. I'm not sure if she's faking or not. I'll double check when we're done, but it gives me my opening. I turn round on Mr. Cook, mustering all my righteous indignation as I say, "You hear that? She could have a concussion from Hale attacking us! You better let us just go right to the Nurse's office, or else my parents are going to sue you and this school for all it's worth!"

Spending String to get a partial manipulation.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

Still annoyed, Jay heads off towards the nurses office with Billie. On the way, he says, "Well, that could have gone better. But at least we have the chance to get cleaned up a bit."

I look back to Billie, adding, "By the way, I was just trying to guilt him into letting us go, but you really did space pretty hard back there. You feeling ok?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

I shrug at Billie's request, saying, "I'll ask, for what it's worth. Honestly not sure why there interested in me all of a sudden."

After a beat, I add," probably should check if Hale is on the guest list, too."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch
Harm: 1/4 | XP: 2

I'm gonna have to keep telling everyone this all day, aren't I? Resigned to it, I say, "Hale went psycho on me, and Billie had strong thoughts about letting Hale jump me."

Honestly, I didn't originally plan on coming here, but after I made such a big deal about it, I bet Mr. Cook will check in. Still, it's not like Nurse Potter is really all that bad. At least for Happy Valley. Her certification was suspended mysteriously a few years back. All the details are confidental, of course, but they don't prevent you from working like that unless they think they have you dead to rights. Honestly, it's more surprising that she got it back a few months later.

Look, it's not my fault if Mom leaves her research out in the study and I see a photo of the school nurse and get curious.

I flop onto the exam bed, suddenly exhausted. I can't believe it isn't even lunchtime yet.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 23, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch
Harm: 1/4 | XP: 2

I nod, taking the compress and grabbing a few Advil. The adrenaline's worn off, and I just feel so tired. As I head back to the cot, I notice how nice the compress feels, and it's not like I've got anywhere to be besides class. And hell, I'm so far ahead in these classes that I can take a morning off. As I start to drift off, I hear Nurse Potter talking about how Billie's pulse is hard to find. She's getting a little worked up about it, too. Sure is weird. But everything about Billie is kinda weird. I wonder what her deal is...

Failed Gaze about Billie

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 2

I look around, dazed. That felt way too real to be a daydream. And... well... it's not like someone else having a creepy collection of human bits is the weirdest thing I'd have learned in Happy Valley. But I was seen. That's not good. When my mind is in a better place, I might try to get a vision, just to even the scales.

Groggily, I say, "No... no, I'm fine now. I just needed a breather." I take the compress off and sit up. "Anyway, if she's fine, I guess we should head back."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

I'm currently seething in my seat. I didn't have a chance to get to curse Hale so he couldn't lie, and who knows what bullshit he's spinning in there. But fine. It's just another bullshit day here.

When I hear new guy, I look up. It's always me, so I haven't been wrong yet. Still seething, I respond, "To the shock of no one that knows him, Hale decided to be an rear end in a top hat this morning and started a fight. Billie jumped in to stop him, and between the two of us, he got hosed up. So, of course, he's in there, spinning his sob story."

I look back at her, saying, "So, what about you?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

"Well... If you put him through the window, you probably ARE dangerous. But apparently only to jackasses, so you're cool as far as I'm concerned."

When she mentions getting expelled, my blood runs cold. I say, "That sucks. ...What are you going to do I'd you get kicked out? ...you don't think they'd kick me out, right?"

It hadn't really occured to Jay. He'd mostly just been thinking of a stain on his record, standing between him and the Ivy's.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

Relaxing a little bit at her dismissive attitude, I manage to let out a laughing snort, "Just remember, the right answer is always Jesus, and you'll be fine."

A beat passes, then I ask, "So, uh, were you going to go to Paisley's party? I mean, I was, but my parents might have other ideas if I get in too much trouble from this."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 3

I wince, suddenly feeling put on the spot. I mean, Billie already sorta asked to go with me, and... uh... she did save my rear end this morning. It only seems fair. But... I never said yes. I thought about it, but I was thinking about it. But Luna would probably be fun too... Krystal would probably be pretty pissed if I showed up with another girl, though...

Stalling for time, I say, "Well, let's see if I'm gonna even be able to go tonight first."

Despite Luna's attempt to calm me down, I still feel nervous as hell when the Principal comes and gets me. If only I'd had time to hex Hale so he wouldn't have been able to spin a sympathetic lie.

Taking a deep breath, I say, "It's not really complicated. I asked to leave homeroom to go to the bathroom. Then, Hale jumped me in the bathroom, because he's got a weird possessive crush on Krystal. Understandably, Krystal isn't very interested, and he blames me. So, while he was trying to drown me in a toilet, Billie heard him raving about how he was the only one for Krystal or whatever and got him off me. After that, he started attacking Billie and I wasn't going to, so I pushed him off of her. While we were trying to keep him from beating us up, he got hurt and then decided to blame us for defending ourselves." Thinking back to what I told Mr. Cook, I shrug, adding, "Personally, I think it's not a good look to punish some of the only minority students in school for not letting themselves be attacked, but I guess that part is up to you."

Manipulate the Principal = (6+5)-1 = 10
Mark XP

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 4

It's all I can do to not dance out of that office. I'm off the hook and I've got nothing to worry about for the weekend but having a good time at the party. Everything worked out better than I expected.

I decide it's a good time to get out of the general area before the principal has a chance to change his mind, which has the benefit of ducking out before I have to answer any questions I don't want to answer from Luna.

When I get home, I relax for a little, make a snack, and then set to work. I take the hair and burn it in a chalked circle, thinking about all the lies that I just know he's told. My fury and indignation power the hex, and I feel it building up even more and more.

failed ritual goes here.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 4

Surprised, I yell, "gently caress!". Running over to the window, I throw it open to let the smoke out. Coughing, I try and fan it out of the room.

As I'm doing that, I'm somehow even more livid. That's twice he's gotten away from me.

There won't be a third.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

By the time I get to the party, I've calmed down enough that my rage isn't immediately obvious.

I'm not much for fashion, but I have to admit that I look pretty good in Winter's outfit. It's kinda preppy, but I guess she's got me there. Of course, I didn't change into that until I played Damien in basketball. I'm rusty, as I haven't really played while I've been here, but I managed to edge him out when we played some one on one. I think he might have let me win, though. The second I got ahead by a few points, he'd sink a shot with ease to catch up, but whenever he was ahead, he'd brick hard.

I still don't know why Paisley's crew is giving me the charm offensive. I'm not the type to do people's homework, and that's really all I can see them wanting from me.

My idle wondering is interrupted when Hale shows up. He shoots me a vicious glare but doesn't say anything. Internally, I'm seething, but I'm not going to be the one to start poo poo. At least not in front of everyone. I take a bit of comfort in the fact that Damien seems surprised by Hale showing up and take the beer Damien's offering, saying, "Well, can't say I'm one to complain about free beer, so the party's heading in the right direction."

To be honest, I've never had a beer outside of when my dad gave me one when he was grilling. But they don't need to know that.

Once I spot Paisley, though, I head over to talk to her before she joins the group as a whole. When I catch her, I lower my voice, asking quietly, "So, for real, why did I get an invite? I'm not really in the in crowd, so I'm not sure what you're looking for." I'm standing fairly close to her to make sure no one overhears, and I'm looking right in her eyes, waiting for an answer that makes sense.

Failed turn on of Paisley. Mark XP and advance.

Taking Cold as Ice, because Jay is just, like, the biggest jerk.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

"Yeah, well..."

I size her up, clearly skeptical about it, but as I look her over, it dawns on me. She doesn't really have a reason to bullshit me.

You wanna know the sad part? I actually feel... disappointed. There's no scheme or anything. Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second she thought "I'm doing this out of the goodness of my heart, because it's 2020, people," but I honestly trust "I think you'd be good to have around, and anyone who's got a problem can gently caress off" more. And isn't this what I wanted, anyway? I wanted to get to an Ivy so I could be in the In Crowd where it really matters.

So, what's wrong with skipping ahead a few years where it doesn't matter as much?

"Well... thanks, then. For the invite, I mean."

That's when I hear the commotion by the speakers. Did the hex somehow slip past Hale and get Krystal somehow? How is he doing it?

Well, I should be sure first. Once I am, I... just need to get her in a pool or something. There's a pool, here, right? What kind of rich person doesn't have a pool, anyway?

I say, "Well, let's go join the others, then." When we get there, I listen in, trying to figure out if people were talking about something that Krystal would lie about.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

It's almost funny. I wanted to make it so he couldn't lie, but now I'm getting the world's most redundant alert when he lies to me. But... if it affected him, then what happened with Crystal then? Something to figure out after this.

Still, if he wants to put on a nice public face, I can play that game too, saying, "Yeah, glad you could make it. Thought you might not be able to because... well..." I gesture to his whole face situation, leaving the "Because Billie and I beat the crap out of you this morning" unspoken.

Failed shut down, because Jay just can't do anything right.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

And there it is. Thug. My head pounds with anger, but I keep an affable look as I continue to talk to him, even as my voice is venomous as I whisper, "Right. We attacked you. Maybe you should head to a hospital so you can get your head examined, since you clearly can't remember what actually happened."

I brush past him, adding, "I'm sure it'll be fine if you duck out. Krystal wouldn't miss you, anyway." Then, I head straight for Krystal, joining her in the group and start chatting with her, asking about the day and what she's got planned for the future.

This feels... pretty good, actually. I don't even need to turn around to feel Hale's rage, but it just makes flirting with Krystal feel all the better.

Got an 11 to hold steady to talk to Krystal, carrying +1 forward.
Then, got 7 on turn on.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

I grin. Honestly, this party was probably the best idea Paisley's had in a while. I say, "Well, then lead the way."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

Fade and take a token.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

After applying it, I pocket the chapstick and lean over to her, saying, "What's on your mind?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jay Brewer, The Witch

I listen to Krystal, still unable to fully shake the feeling that I should't trust Paisley. I eventually say, "So, why'd Paisley and her start hanging out? Paisley strikes me as someone who's got a plan for everyone."

After we talk a bit more, I add, "As persuasive as staying here longer is, I think we might want to head back before someone goes looking for us."