Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watched this last night on Hulu and I'm curious as to what other people thought of it. There seems to be roughly zero discussion about it online, which is sort of surprising to me.

I thought it was really drat good. One of the bleakest loving things I have ever watched though. Jesus. Gotta go watch Children of Men to cheer myself up now. I thought it was gorgeous and managed to avoid a lot of the pitfalls of the genre and stand out as something pretty unique. After watching the trailer I thought "oh great I think I just watched the whole movie" but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Anyways, I think people should watch it. it might be pretty polarizing tbh, but it's still stuck with me the next day which is pretty rare. If you did watch it already what did you think?

Edit: Have a trailer. Don't worry it doesn't really spoil anything even though it looks like it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MIlE9R00ik

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I thoroughly enjoyed the film!

I found it to be a heady, thoughtful combination of High Life, High Rise and 2001:Space Odyssey. It is a movie that relies on the strengths of it's well written characters to spin deep question of morality, mortality and nihilism that it leaves mostly to the audience to interpret and answer. Perhaps the strongest character is the artificial intelligence whose synthetic sorrow slowly infects the passengers, giving them visions of doom and insanity while all they want is to escape the hellish uncertainty of existence.

It is not a feel-good movie by any stretch. The issues and questions raised by the characters don't make for good popcorn conversation. There are numerous scenes that, while I wouldn't call them horror, are very startling and controversial. But also very, very human.

You may need to hug a dog after watching this, but you'll be glad you gave it an hour and a half.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 22, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

High Life has been on my short list for a while. Think I'm gonna watch it today.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I would agree with all of those assessments. If you're like me and like to stare into the abyss in regards to the oncoming society-ending climate apocalypse, this movie is not bad way to brace yourself with. It doesn't pull the punches, and every "stage" that the passengers enter feels very earned and true-to-life.

If this movie is bleak, it's because it's not afraid to stare back.

btw I don't recall the probe being in the original Swedish poem. If that's an invention for the movie, it seems especially mean-spirited, and I'm still parsing what the writer intended by introducing it as a plot element. Why would the rest of humanity throw one last gently caress you mystery box at a doomed spaceship lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I did watch it at our local sci-fi expo a few months back, sadly it was late at night so the cinema was kinda empty. I liked the bleakness, not pulling any punches, which was refreshing compared to a lot of modern sci-fi. I think watching Aniara before the next hbo comedy avenue5 kinda ruined the next iannucci series for me :D

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 21, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

God Hole posted:

btw I don't recall the probe being in the original Swedish poem. If that's an invention for the movie, it seems especially mean-spirited, and I'm still parsing what the writer intended by introducing it as a plot element. Why would the rest of humanity throw one last gently caress you mystery box at a doomed spaceship lol

I just finished both High Life and Aniara today, meaning I have my bleak space drama quota filled for 2020 already.

I believe that the probe is a stand in for our vain hope to discover a new technology that can save us from climate change. In the context of the movie I couldn't figure out if it was some type of new technology sent by humanity to attempt to help the Aniara that the crew was unable to understand (which begs the question, why wasn't some way of utilizing it included). I thought that the idea one of the crew through out there that the material the probe was made of was the fuel itself made the most sense, but who knows?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

In the context of the movie I couldn't figure out if it was some type of new technology sent by humanity to attempt to help the Aniara that the crew was unable to understand (which begs the question, why wasn't some way of utilizing it included). I thought that the idea one of the crew through out there that the material the probe was made of was the fuel itself made the most sense, but who knows?

I don't think you are supposed to figure it out. I think it's meant to give the viewer the same sense of frustration and hopelessness as the characters.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Cow tools: the movie

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think you are supposed to figure it out. I think it's meant to give the viewer the same sense of frustration and hopelessness as the characters.

on Scifi Stack Exchange someone suggested that it was an extraterrestrial seed ship (based on the impenetrable surface, lack of instructions) sent out by some dying civilization to the same planet the Aniara ended up arriving at, which is extra hilarious since humanity grabbed it and added it to the floating coffin

That same user was chastised by a mod and told to read a guide on how to present a theory, all based around a purposefully vague part of the movie. Sounds like great modding and community!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Shbobdb posted:

Cow tools: the movie

Aniara doesn't DO anything, that's the beauty of it.