Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Look at the bright side, the region shifting could be like going to a new sector in starbound which is functionally identical as losing your power level for no apparent reason, except you have to dig holes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
How is that a bright side

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wrong thread

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 1, 2019

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Wollay's nuked his dev blog :captainpop:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Oh well, that's a good sign. :shepface:

Here's the only recent post from the blog, if someone needs it:

Wollay on his devblog posted:

Posted: 07 Sep 2019 05:39 AM PDT

Dear Cube World Community,

I think this is the right place for this. This is where it all started, where my little passion project came to life and became something much bigger.

Here is my explanation why everything took me so long, why there were no updates and so on...

When I released Cube World back in 2013 on our homepage, I was enthusiastic to finally share my game with you. It was a dream come true for me, I wanted to be a game developer since I was a kid.

As some of you might remember, we got DDoS'ed as soon as we opened the shop. It might sound silly, but this event traumatized me and kind of broke something inside me. I never told anyone about it, and I don't want to go into the details, but I'm dealing with anxiety and depression ever since. Social media didn't improve it, as you might imagine. I'm still not sure if it's a good idea to tell the world about it, but I wanted to give the fans an explanation.

There were several points in the past years where I considered releasing an update, but every time I was afraid it wasn't good enough. I'm also a bit pefectionist and it made me rework everything from scratch several times. The version I'm planning to release is basically Cube World 2.0. There are still many things I'd like to add in the future, but I think the version is already fun.

I hope some of you will enjoy the upcoming release. I'm currently working on the new homepage and still want to add some lore-related things to the game before the release.

Wollay

I wouldn't be surprised if he and pixxie pulled another vanishing act after this reception, but I can't help but wonder what the point of all this was. Dude fundamentally changes the game he's once already sold to a bunch of people, then releases it—did he really expect everyone to shower him with praise? Why even put the game on Steam? Why disappoint all the old fans and himself even more? I sympathize to a point but, play stupid games, win stupid prizes :shrug:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Uh, for one, he hadn't used that blog for ages anyway so i wouldn't read into it getting axed at all.

For two, he obviously released the game because he felt it was finally in a condition fit to release. He's mostly been making it for his own amusement but of course you want to see others enjoy the fruits of your labor too.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Uh, for one, he hadn't used that blog for ages anyway so i wouldn't read into it getting axed at all.

For two, he obviously released the game because he felt it was finally in a condition fit to release. He's mostly been making it for his own amusement but of course you want to see others enjoy the fruits of your labor too.

He literally posted on it last month, which in Wollay land is like 2 minutes ago.

He’s also talked about loads of features that just aren’t in the game.

“Mostly making it for his own amusement” is weird given he sold the alpha to a ton of people at 20 buck each with the promise it would be fleshed out. Then he went dark. Then he popped back up, talking about the new release, talking about new mechanics. Most of them aren’t in the game, it’s live on steam, and he appears to be disappearing again.

Can we stop pretending he’s gifted us a game from pure kindness or something

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Y'all are extremely conspiratorial about this game is all I'm saying

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

he appears to be disappearing again.
gee i wonder why. maybe we should camp outside his house to get to the bottom of this conspiracy

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Amppelix posted:

Gamers gonna be gamers.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Amppelix posted:

to me its more likely that he released the game to get rid of it as a burden. He could have worked on it for another decade or two. But now he can just say that game is finished and move on to another project.
It wasn't a good game but at least its finally finished.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A microcosm of Starbound, except one man instead of an entire company.

making GBS threads something out solely to wash your hands of the responsibility you took by taking money for it does not allow you to hide behind "at least I tried".

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
King of kills any future project you try to do.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

VarXX posted:

gee i wonder why. maybe we should camp outside his house to get to the bottom of this conspiracy

You know it's possible to both be deeply disappointed that the game is shite and also not be keen on directly attacking the guy?

If he is going radio silent again after putting up a gutted game on steam then it's a little off.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Amppelix posted:

What conspiracy am I peddling exactly? The idea that it looks very much like he's put out a version of the game that doesn't include most of the promised features (now removed from his sites) and is preparing to disappear again, having done so before?

It's not exactly "birds aren't real" is it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A microcosm of Starbound, except one man instead of an entire company.

making GBS threads something out solely to wash your hands of the responsibility you took by taking money for it does not allow you to hide behind "at least I tried".
Oh come on. If he wanted to wash his hands of the affair he would've just not talked about cube world ever again after the alpha release. Everyone had pretty much forgotten about that whole thing by this point and resigned to "well i guess that was a mistake to buy."

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
so I guess we'll be doing this again in 2025, huh?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hopefully by then all gamers will have been beheaded in the town square.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Is there a good breakdown of what happened to Starbound anywhere? I played it years ago and it was a decent Terraria clone with potential, but ever since I've just been hearing about how it's gotten progressively worse.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is there a good breakdown of what happened to Starbound anywhere? I played it years ago and it was a decent Terraria clone with potential, but ever since I've just been hearing about how it's gotten progressively worse.

It's pretty good with mods, just like minecraft is, and cube world probably will be.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So I bought into the alpha or pre-alpha and was pleasantly surprised to see I could get into my account and have a steam key waiting for me. It was so long ago that I played that I don't really remember much other than it was promising and I liked the bright vibrant voxel graphics and wanted to see more.

So believe me that when I'm giving this a :confused: review it's not because I'm a disgruntled customer from like 5 years ago, I legitimately wrote that off ages ago. But this game was definitely not ready for release and I think Wollay shot himself in the foot by re-writing it pretty drastically and never having anyone test it.

For starters having 0 tutorial was not at all helpful. I know people who mash their way through tutorials and then are all confused but I actually read them in games. The lack of tutorials, the slightly unwieldy UI and the fact you can get your rear end kicked two seconds away from town don't really help. Since this game isn't a builder hybrid like minecraft or terraria, it's an explorer rpg with "numbers go up" as a goal, nixing those numbers when you, well, explore too much was just a completely bonkers design choice.

I dunno, I hope he updates it to be better but the bad reception isn't all surprising even ignoring the game's history.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Dark Off posted:

to me its more likely that he released the game to get rid of it as a burden. He could have worked on it for another decade or two. But now he can just say that game is finished and move on to another project.
It wasn't a good game but at least its finally finished.

It's this, if anything, tbh.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Was going to buy this last night but it didn't go through because steam was making GBS threads itself. Guess I dodged a bullet if this is truly the end. Ah well.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

It has a certain je ne sais quoi which makes it a lot of fun to play in multiplayer, way more fun than it ought to be due to the many issues already brought up.

I probably wouldn't have bought this now, but I'm glad I had a Steam key waiting for me because it has been some hours of fun with a couple friends who also had keys from before.

This isn't an endorsement of the game, I think the gear system needs some tweak or overhaul. Also I feel like I'm missing something because massive dungeons, cities and airships seem to be gone? Maybe we just have to look further because rng screwed us.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

No, they're gone completely.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The airship sprite is used to airdrop in soldier enemies sometimes - I have a purple-level crafting book behind an event where I have to kill all the Empire soldiers, and they parachute in from it a la FFXV

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This game actually had 20,000 people playing it concurrently today. That's actually crazy. Wollay could have gotten so stinking rich.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

No Wave posted:

This game actually had 20,000 people playing it concurrently today. That's actually crazy. Wollay could have gotten so stinking rich.

There are reports of hackers jumping into servers and killing everyone, spawn camping on a pve server and making world changes.
Which has happened on multiple twitch streams.

Here is one but more on reddit.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1128000/discussions/0/1628539187758948261/

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Motherfucker is a legend. Two grabs for cash with the same game in under a decade. He should go work for Chris Roberts, Brad McQuaid or Richard Garriot.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I'm actually curious-looking over reviews and comments in this thread and on Reddit I gotta ask: Did the final version add anything new? It seems like it removed class customization, unique dungeons and town architecture, and uhh didn't really add anything new. Are there more classes? More weapon types? I'm honestly curious.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Space Bat posted:

I'm actually curious-looking over reviews and comments in this thread and on Reddit I gotta ask: Did the final version add anything new? It seems like it removed class customization, unique dungeons and town architecture, and uhh didn't really add anything new. Are there more classes? More weapon types? I'm honestly curious.

It removed way more then it added.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
To be specific, it added new biomes and quests/encounters, plus moved the game over to a 64bit client. That's mostly it.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
About the only thing to do is trying to get + or even ++(?) Gear which retains its stats even when switching region. But it's super rare and i only managed to find a wand with it. As for exploring well... after awhile you've seen all the POIs and biomes and there isn't really anything more to do other than farm for + stuff.

The artifacts which are supposed to serve as progression are useless, the quests are beyond barebones, crafting is as basic as it can be and the world loses its charm quickly after you've finished 3-5 biomes.

It's a shame cause i really felt for Wollay and wanted to love cube world, but this is just sad.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's a real shame is that Wollay had a Terraria-level success on his hands when cube world first came around.

Had he treated the project more professionally, taken advantages of the early fans to do proper iteration, testing and open discussion, who knows what he could've come up with?

It's a shame he couldn't manage the pressure and ended up where it's at. Hopefully he's not taking the warm (to say the least) reception too hard.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
I'm trying to reconcile the feeling that your gear being useless in other areas isn't really that different to the enemies just getting harder, while also not being interested in playing any more after one area

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

H2Eau posted:

I'm trying to reconcile the feeling that your gear being useless in other areas isn't really that different to the enemies just getting harder, while also not being interested in playing any more after one area
Partially irrational - you feel like you're losing your stuff rather than them gaining theirs - and partially rational because the transition power curve suuuuuucks

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
So the guy made about six months of progress in six years, and spent most of his effort making the game worse. I've made worse early access purchases but this one's def in the top five

I can't really be all that mad, though; it was so long ago that I wasted my fifteen bux or whatever it was

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

So the guy made about six months of progress in six years, and spent most of his effort making the game worse. I've made worse early access purchases but this one's def in the top five

I can't really be all that mad, though; it was so long ago that I wasted my fifteen bux or whatever it was
There were posts as recently as January this year that still had the XP system in, he threw that poo poo out sometime this year so he had at most like 8 months to work on and polish the system in the release version.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There's also stuff that was linked like 2 years ago that are just no where to be seen, like those massive capital cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Foo Diddley posted:

This was the second early access game I bought and after Wollay disappeared I never bought any more (except for backing Bloodstained). It was a bit of a letdown but I got a few hours in the alpha so whatever. Now here we are, 6 years later, the game who's developer vanished finally releases, and all it is now is a memory of that time long ago where I wasted money on an early access game. It's kind of amazing