Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Detective hat plus pinball coat is good. Even got made fun of for trying to look like a noire detective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fister Roboto posted:

You can't access the inventory during dialogue though, which is frustrating. It's kind of weird when you're basically telling people "hold on a sec, I'll get right back to you after I put on my drama kimono."

wouldn't it be even weirder to change into it while saying "yes, go ahead, i'm listening"

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Kim is never impressed by you stripping mid-conversation. Even if you ship it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

wouldn't it be even weirder to change into it while saying "yes, go ahead, i'm listening"

Actually after thinking about it, either way would be perfectly in character for Harry.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny that the detective hat is the most practical both from a gameplay and meta standpoint, since it has no downsides, would be a very practical hat in the cold and snowy weather, and Harry can actually more or less pull it off.
You can even give it away and get it back.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The detective hat is cool and all, but the only way for HDB to face the dangers of modern detecting and maintain the respect of the youth is head to toe in FALNtm sports gear.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Finding the last piece of FALN gear was the most emotional moment of the game.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
There is only one hat, all other headwear is counterrevolutionary.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tylana posted:

Kim is never impressed by you stripping mid-conversation. Even if you ship it.

if you don't put on pants for the initial conversation with him, he doesn't react, and someone pipes up that if he doesn't say anything about it, that proves no-one else will either.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
My headcanon is the horrific number of health complaints make his skin tone such people assume he's just wearing very tight tie-dyed pants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Other people have said that, while the clothing choices are all very garishly funny, the skill bonuses do take out a bit of immersion in what can be otherwise very naturalistic gameplay.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I think it's worth the trade-off of the ability to flex you build and get some stuff done. And some of the tone and flavour (and rewarding exploration.)

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

actually yeah that was my least favourite part of the game, i honestly couldn't help myself from constantly juggling various outfits to min max skill checks

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Yeah. "You can only get dressed once in the morning" would have made the game perfect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The flavour text and in some cases places you acquire clothing is nice, but it is a bit of a weak point in the game.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah. "You can only get dressed once in the morning" would have made the game perfect.

but then i cant put on these jeans that make my arse look great on immedialty after taking them out of the bin

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

honestly just remove skill bonuses from clothing entirely, it's a nice idea to make it functional but it gets in the way of actually playing the game

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Eh, a lot of that is player based. I'm more then happy to fail even red checks, I throw on the stats I want and largely leave them on.

Even a "once in the morning" wouldn't fix this. You'd just never hit any checks and excuse yourself, then plan your day around what you want to hit that day.

Really my biggest complaint is that you have to waste Skill Points removing Thoughts. It'd be less of an issue if you knew what Thoughts DID, but for example I picked up Indotribe and ehhhhhhh. Now I get to blow a Skill Point removing it. But it at least fits the narrative structure. You really can pick up on bad thoughts without thinking and lead yourself into a negative spiral.

My normal boring person run is going well. I'm both a Sorry and Regular Cop. Focusing Volition, Espirit, and Empathy. Largely agreeing with the establishment, and trying to remember what being a cop is. Any excess points I have are going into Perception, Physical Instrument, and Visual Calculus.

Already planning my Communist run where I go heavy into drugs/booze, and go Rhetoric, Suggestion, Inland Empire/Electrochemistry.

I'm not sure I can stomach a fascist run. Is it possible to be an aggressive rear end in a top hat/heavy Physique without being a racist/fascist? Would I be missing too much content to make it worth a third playthrough?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rookersh posted:

I'm not sure I can stomach a fascist run.

bit lower down than that op

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Red checks are really not the problem. Especially once you see that the game goes "Have a prize either way." It's white checks where failure is 'miss content'.

If a new day reopened most white checks, then maybe but I'd just not have seen half the game without clothing buffs. But one outfit a day I think would fix most players troubles with "I feel like I should do this dumb thing instead of just rolling along."

I could see in a similar game instead building up a wardrobe that gives a bunch of passive benefits, either just +skills, or like 2for1 on a skill. So you wear what you want with some effect like if you are in uniform or whatever, but finding the bow tie helps you remember your Drama skill instead of helping you do it when worn.

Personally I found the money from Indotribe pretty great.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

on the other hand, i feel it is entirely within character for my guy to put on his full tracksuit before attempting to jump over some stairs

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The best part of clothing was people reacting to it; (ending spoilers) Harry's reaction to being told about his past as a gym teacher being to exclaim that the revalation explained his incessent collection of sportswear was a highlight.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JustaDamnFool posted:

The best part of clothing was people reacting to it; (ending spoilers) Harry's reaction to being told about his past as a gym teacher being to exclaim that the revalation explained his incessent collection of sportswear was a highlight.

Yeah they'll have a few different comments at the end depending on what you're wearing during the final debriefing getting the full suit of mercenary armour has them make fun of you for looking like a crab

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

on the other hand, i feel it is entirely within character for my guy to take off his shoes and pants before attempting to jump over some stairs

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
In side news I am glad I played this game early because despite having to alt-enter each time it started and some text being wonky, when I now loaded a save my inventory visually corrupted to barely usable. Argh.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

JustaDamnFool posted:

I notice the game reacts to you running around a lot, and it mentions that during the debriefing. I wonder, does that change if you walk everywhere? Could that reaction change what your past ends up being?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

I notice the game reacts to you running around a lot, and it mentions that during the debriefing. I wonder, does that change if you walk everywhere? Could that reaction change what your past ends up being?

I tried it, I walked everywhere on the first day, and unless I accidentally double clicked at some point, Kim still mentions running everywhere.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah other people have mentioned testing that out as well, seems like it doesn't change. It was probably just a safe assumption on the devs part that you would.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

That certain background option is always there and just rationalized with different actions you took(Obsessed with Contact Mike)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Next playthrough I'm playing board games with kim for 3 days straight so I can be obsessed with contact mike as much as possible

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 3, 2020

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The game is better if you have to change your clothes irl every time you change Harry's.

I will not allow for the possibility that everyone doesn't own a drama kimono.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, just sent Kim back with the body. Stole my boots first though, kind of surprised Kim didn't say anything when we loaded it up. Now I'm all alone on Day 3.

So far I feel like my game is more normal then I was expecting. 5421 is my spread. I get some Inland Empire but nothing crazy. Empathy is right at the edge of getting funky I feel. Logic is a good straightman, although Encyclopedia is a bit gabby. All my Physique and Motorics stuff is too low to really respond frankly. I had the occasional Electrochemistry, but after denying him going into Day 2 he's basically disappeared. I'd love to see the cutoffs for when the emotions start becoming more talkative, and when they start taking over. Looks like it's 4/6ish, but who knooooows.

I've got a feeling I know what's going on. Hoping I'm wrong and it's not that simple. Also hoping it starts going crazy if I am right. I did just get out of a major Day 2 where we found the bullet and broke Klassje and Titus back to back to learn what happened.. Kim has told me he trusts me now as a Detective right before he drove away with the body. I feel like most of my Day 3 is going to be wandering around the new zone that just opened up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

Man, just sent Kim back with the body. Stole my boots first though, kind of surprised Kim didn't say anything when we loaded it up. Now I'm all alone on Day 3.

So far I feel like my game is more normal then I was expecting. 5421 is my spread. I get some Inland Empire but nothing crazy. Empathy is right at the edge of getting funky I feel. Logic is a good straightman, although Encyclopedia is a bit gabby. All my Physique and Motorics stuff is too low to really respond frankly. I had the occasional Electrochemistry, but after denying him going into Day 2 he's basically disappeared. I'd love to see the cutoffs for when the emotions start becoming more talkative, and when they start taking over. Looks like it's 4/6ish, but who knooooows.

I've got a feeling I know what's going on. Hoping I'm wrong and it's not that simple. Also hoping it starts going crazy if I am right. I did just get out of a major Day 2 where we found the bullet and broke Klassje and Titus back to back to learn what happened.. Kim has told me he trusts me now as a Detective right before he drove away with the body. I feel like most of my Day 3 is going to be wandering around the new zone that just opened up.

I think this was posted in the thread a while back, but there's an interesting set of graphs that shows the total number of passive checks in the game and what skill level each of them shows up at: https://imgur.com/a/rbAlBvu

I think the numbers on the bottom are the final roll value so it's after adding 6 to your skill level. Like you observed it seems like the main turning point is 4 skill because that's where the big spike is on every chart, but not all skills have equivalent numbers of checks. Some are just quieter in general (hand-eye coordination barely says anything). Looks like the chattiest ones are empathy, rhetoric, logic, and inland empire.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm glad that background thing doesn't change based on your actions. If it did, it would undermine the theme of Harry being unable to change his past.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The game is built specifically around Harry's past and the kind of person he is, and has been. That you can discover it in different ways and take different perspectives on it is what makes it interesting, and that Harry does have the opportunity to change himself by looking at his past in a different light.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a half-light...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Might be apt to consider every skill seems to think they're in a different genre. Half-Light thinks you're in an action movie, and appropriately wants you to do poo poo that'll get you killed.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Half-light gets it right when it matters most.

The moment when empathy and half-light disagree on whether you could get the mercenaries to back down or not at the tribunal, with empathy conceding that there was no chance of a peaceful resolution was pretty chilling. Tonnes of RPGs undermine their climatic moments by having a clear best outcome that you can get by doing XYZ and preventing conflict; not only can it undermine the conflict itself, but it marks any of the other outcomes as sub-optimal and so less worthwhile. I like that DE makes the point that you can't talk down a fascist death squad.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tylana posted:

Mmm. I'd interpret the past of the detective and Her as not as cold as that. Did you phone her up? She is getting on with her life, but not I think unsympathetic to Harry. But the scope to hold the different opinions is a nice part of the game.

I still kind of love my first game of 2/2/2/6 or whatever you can get close to that. Team Yellow has some sharp poo poo to say.

Many thanks for the link to Miracle of Sounds DE song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sAxhu04SlM and the suggestion of looking up BSPs songs like The Smallest Church in Sussex bspofficial appears to be their channel. And dammit, now I keep putting on the Whirling In Rags bgm just to.. soak in it.

Whirling in Rags music is incredible and I listen to it more than I should. That and the island music.

Doc Hawkins posted:

if you don't put on pants for the initial conversation with him, he doesn't react, and someone pipes up that if he doesn't say anything about it, that proves no-one else will either.

I took them off because they gave me a debuff, and then I just.... didn't equip any

made a failed shivers check with the dicemaker interesting when i started checking my 'pocket'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Hey so I'm on my second serious play-through and I just realized I have no loving idea who called the cops. Volition seems to seriously imply that Drama is wrong when he believes Klaasje when she claims she called you guys. It really would make sense for her character, but that weirds me out. Is there a definite answer to this in the game?