Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Digital Osmosis posted:

Hey so I'm on my second serious play-through and I just realized I have no loving idea who called the cops. Volition seems to seriously imply that Drama is wrong when he believes Klaasje when she claims she called you guys. It really would make sense for her character, but that weirds me out. Is there a definite answer to this in the game?

If I recall correctly after 2 playthroughs, I'm almost 100% certain it was indeed Klaasje. I think Volition is overreacting due to the whole Klaasje-successfully-defeating-all-your-skills-with-spy-training-and-weaponising-horny thing, and really hates her because of that. She explains the reason why the phone in the hostel is not working anymore as well (I don't remember if you can connect that to the call before her mentioning the nail clipper trick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

nurmie posted:

If I recall correctly after 2 playthroughs, I'm almost 100% certain it was indeed Klaasje. I think Volition is overreacting due to the whole Klaasje-successfully-defeating-all-your-skills-with-spy-training-and-weaponising-horny thing, and really hates her because of that. She explains the reason why the phone in the hostel is not working anymore as well (I don't remember if you can connect that to the call before her mentioning the nail clipper trick).

That's probably right, but I was wondering if I was missing something. It also is a way for Volition to be wrong for once, which I feel like is an unspoken design principle that all the skills can feed you misinformation. If Volition wasn't wrong there I'm not sure I can remember another time it gives you bad advice, and having one skill you can always trust seems unbalanced.

Not to mention I have no idea who else to suspect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the whole thing with Klassje is that she presents herself as either a vulnerable fun-loving woman or a unflappable manipulative spy, depending on how much someone has figured her out, and this more or less goes right to the player character's fairly severe Madonna-whore complex with crossing wires. Of course, the truth that she won't admit to herself, let alone anyone else, is that she's both of those things and more, because people are three-dimensional.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Been thinking a lot about the mask of humanity falling from capital to destroy everything we hold dear lately.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Fister Roboto posted:

Been thinking a lot about the mask of humanity falling from capital to destroy everything we hold dear lately.

Dros may have been wrong about many things, but he was bang on the money about the bourgeoisie not being human.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Me too. "The sweetest, bravest people in the world..."

I still love that the antagonist is someone who is basically right, but who's given up. Of all the ideologies DE rejects, the one it doesn't make any jokes about is despair. lol capitalism, lol communism, lol fascists, don't give up, lol centrists.

https://twitter.com/babadookspinoza/status/1213229428270096384

Ignore the people in the comments arguing over what nihilism is. Shut up, nerds.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Never shut up about the fact Nihilism is the bravest and most beautiful philosophy in the world

You play right into the hands of the worst people by presenting 'nothing matters' as an endpoint instead of a start. Nothing matters, so everything does!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Was it his love of centrism that is symbolized by Harry's crumbling marriage?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

I hate to get all analytic philosophy here of all threads but this is an polysemy issue. Sometimes people say "nihilism" and mean the like, developed philosophical system which is an important part of the continental tradition and robustly celebrates human freedom -- but sometimes people say "nihilism" and mean it in the folk-philosophical sense of "lol nothing matters."

Personally I get wanting to defend a misunderstood philosophy that might be emotionally important to you but it's kinda "well actually"ing the main point - which is important because although it's not well elucidated in philosophical writing the "lol nothing matters" thinking is still and important and destructive cultural force.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Transient People posted:

Never shut up about the fact Nihilism is the bravest and most beautiful philosophy in the world

You play right into the hands of the worst people by presenting 'nothing matters' as an endpoint instead of a start. Nothing matters, so everything does!

That’s just progressing from nihilism to existentialism

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

friedrich nietzsche posted:

"lol nothing matters"

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Digital Osmosis posted:

I hate to get all analytic philosophy here of all threads but this is an polysemy issue. Sometimes people say "nihilism" and mean the like, developed philosophical system which is an important part of the continental tradition and robustly celebrates human freedom -- but sometimes people say "nihilism" and mean it in the folk-philosophical sense of "lol nothing matters."

Personally I get wanting to defend a misunderstood philosophy that might be emotionally important to you but it's kinda "well actually"ing the main point - which is important because although it's not well elucidated in philosophical writing the "lol nothing matters" thinking is still and important and destructive cultural force.

I appreciate you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

I hate to get all analytic philosophy here of all threads but this is an polysemy issue.

Ah, so it's someone trying to express something on the internet, then.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

Ah, so it's someone trying to express something on the internet, then.

:margeball:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I just want to say this to people who still didn't play this. This game was even a therapeutic experience for me. If Harry (or Ambrosius) with his PROFOUND fuckups is such a goddamn hero, hope is not lost for me, I am OK.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Does anyone know if anyone's datamined this game? I'm specifically wondering about thoughts and dialog options. Does it matter if a thought is internalized or not? I know I had a finger-guns option when I had the thought available but hadn't researched / internalized it yet. Was also wondering what the spread in the number of dialog options is -- political thoughts feel like they come up a lot, but I'm not sure stuff like idk, the Wompty-Domy-Dom Art Center thought comes up at all. So, anyone know if anyone's figure that out or not?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is on Epic now and they're still running a big sale + a coupon, so you can get it 50% off.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Giving Epic money is like listening to the Sunday Friend and going hmmm yes this man has all the right ideas in how the world ought to be run :hmmyes:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
But ze price stability!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

HerraS posted:

Giving Epic money is like listening to the Sunday Friend and going hmmm yes this man has all the right ideas in how the world ought to be run :hmmyes:

:psyduck: This post makes zero sense, unless Epic recently announced they were creating some Fired Police Funding non profit or some poo poo.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Epic’s Blue Lives Matter sale started before all this so really it’s just coincidence.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished another run of this game. It's so loving good and beautiful and I could probably start another playthrough right now and not feel tired of it.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I just looked at the voice acting credits and wow, Matt Christman is a way better voice actor than the other Chapo boys. Felix and Will stuck out like sore thumbs but I had no idea who Matt was voicing til afterwards

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Finally got tired of waiting for the console release and gave in. I haven't really gotten to play yet, but I will say right out the gate I wish it had controller compatibility, just because i don't usually game on a pc and kb+m is not only foreign to me, but I only have the lovely base wireless mouse and keyboard that came with the computer. Minor issue, though, clearly. Should be easy to get past.

Really looking forward to a harrowing journey that explores the abuses of an authority ultimately indifferent to human life and suffering, though, as I help poor Harry realize the police are a force of capitalism designed to maintain control over the poorer classes.

...Actually. Now that I think about it some, I think maybe I'm doing escapism all wrong.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

I don't know if you're being ironic or not but that's 100% an opinion you can have your character take, is extremely well supported by the text, and is likely what the developers believe.

but the game is really funny and weird too

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

shirts and skins posted:

I just looked at the voice acting credits and wow, Matt Christman is a way better voice actor than the other Chapo boys. Felix and Will stuck out like sore thumbs but I had no idea who Matt was voicing til afterwards

Who did he do?

I loved klaasjes va, that politics lady

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I initially thought Matt was less than ideal, but then when I found more out about the character I realized his VA work was basically perfect. I did recognize it was him like basically immediately tho

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Who did he do?

Matt plays Titus. He definitely like tried the hardest out of all of them, lol.

Although I didn't notice that Will was Silleg (forget how its spelt...the guy selling stuff outta his car) until after the fact even though it's honestly really obvious looking back at it.

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Who did he do?

Matt voiced Titus Hardie and did a great job of it imo.

I recognized Felix right off the bat as the scab leader, and found the comment on his voice in-game pretty funny ("His voice is the loudest of the lot -- and oddly screechy for a man his size."), but didn't realize till my second playthrough that he also voiced Rosemary of the Moribund Union of Alcoholics.

I didn't recognize Will immediately, either: Siileng and gently caress the World. Now that I know it's hard to miss. I actually ended up getting a postcard of Siileng and, if Chapo live shows are ever a thing again, would love to get him to autograph it. I still can't believe they haven't done a playthrough or something of this game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They said they were going to back when it came out, dunno if it ever happened though.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I don't know if you're being ironic or not but that's 100% an opinion you can have your character take, is extremely well supported by the text, and is likely what the developers believe.

but the game is really funny and weird too

I was being serious and sincere because i knew you could choose it in the game. Said it made for bad escapism because it's the exact same scenario in reality in regards to what I said about the police being an instrument of capitalism that values property over lives. I meant it all

Anyway. Loving the game so far.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kaysette posted:

Epic’s Blue Lives Matter sale started before all this so really it’s just coincidence.

This is a joke, yes? I dare not google 'epic blue lives matter'

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Just bought this game last week and finished my first playthrough, holy crap did that time fly by, this game is fantastic, hope they do DLC or make a sequel with similar quality.

For my Harry, friendship with alcohol and drugs were ended, Kim Kitsurugi is now my best friend and by god, he'll do ANYTHING to avoid disappointing Kim!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

shirts and skins posted:

Did you notice Virgil at all? It’s weird going back and playing the game because I got into Chapo because of the game (as well as cum town, and I listen to that way more than Chapo and they should’ve had one of the cum boys in it too). But I hated the scab leader before listening to the podcast, or the voice acting, but now I can tolerate it, and even appreciate it weirdly.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Imhotep posted:

Did you notice Virgil at all? It’s weird going back and playing the game because I got into Chapo because of the game (as well as cum town, and I listen to that way more than Chapo and they should’ve had one of the cum boys in it too). But I hated the scab leader before listening to the podcast, or the voice acting, but now I can tolerate it, and even appreciate it weirdly.

I didn't notice Virgil when I played but when I saw who he played it made sense instantly. I was blown away that Matt did Titus. I had no idea, he was great.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Samovar posted:

This is a joke, yes? I dare not google 'epic blue lives matter'

Yes, it's a joke.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Just bought this game last week and finished my first playthrough, holy crap did that time fly by, this game is fantastic, hope they do DLC or make a sequel with similar quality.

For my Harry, friendship with alcohol and drugs were ended, Kim Kitsurugi is now my best friend and by god, he'll do ANYTHING to avoid disappointing Kim!

We all love Kim here folks, many people are saying we would rather die than let him down

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I tried on my second run to be mean to him but I just couldn’t.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Kim is just so wonderfully done and balanced. I can forgive not getting to roll with Lena if the trade-off is that much polish on the one party member.

Still want to roll with Lena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kaysette posted:

I tried on my second run to be mean to him but I just couldn't.

same op. i want to be kim katsuragi when i grow up