Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is there any character creation at all or do you play as handlebar mustache slob cop regardless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

http://zaumstudio.com/2017/01/19/introducing-metric-arguably-worlds-simplest-role-playing-system/

quote:

The 24 Skills you have cover every action under the sun. There is no difference between dialogue and combat. Just roll two six sided dice and add however much you have in the Skill that represents what you’re up to. Want to hit something, add Hand / Eye Coordination. Want to fall in love, add Electrochemistry. The sum must be higher than the task’s difficulty. A normal task takes 10 or above to complete. Some rolls are handled behind the scenes, these are called Passive. Others are performed by the player, these are called Active.

That’s it. It took us fifteen years, five designers and a handful of dedicated players to come up with it. It’s the simplest role playing system our minds could muster – with the maximum amount of depth and tension hidden in the folds. We call it Metric.

:stare:

I know the actual game development probably doesn't go back that far but it's kind of crazy hearing how much they've thought all these systems through. Really hoping it works out, right now I think the game being buggy as poo poo is the main thing that can potentially stand in its way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I also winced a bit at the whole "black person with theories on race" line but that's because it's hard to give game developers the benefit of the doubt because that sort of situation is so commonly mishandled. Meanwhile most of the writing and development philosophy we've seen has been nothing but extremely thoughtful, and given the recent cowardice of a lot of devs, it's refreshing to see someone speak frankly and loudly about how political their game is.

The idea of allowing a player to be a racist monster is certainly a minefield that I'm hoping they can navigate, and I'm not yet convinced they can do it entirely without falling into the typical morally ambiguous protagonist trap where the text says they're a bad guy and idiots be like "gently caress YEAH WHAT A COOL GUY #TheEmperorWasRight" - but his comments imply that this is going to be a less America-centric exploration of race and politics issues, which has me pretty excited, since it's extremely not very often you see that perspective in games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

That's not a problem with a text though. If the text explicitly says one thing, and everyone chooses to ignore it, don't blame the text.

Nah, there are definitely works that want to have their cake and eat it too by trying to make a character flawed and villainous while simultaneously making them the most badass, smartest person that ever existed. Rick and Morty being a recent example, but it's a problem in a lot of video games specifically.