Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Accordion Man posted:

It's the latter, I'm pretty sure.

You can apparently shave later! But yes, you're always the same character. You can become less slovenly over time though.

Also, I agree that this game is either going to be the best thing since sliced bread and be an insane breakthrough for CRPGs or it's going to be a spectacular failure that barely works and has maybe 2.5 functional quests. There is no way, at this point, it's going to be simply okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm probably gonna mostly panic and try to pull my character in a dozen different directions leading him to be vaguely incompetent at everything.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You can shave, you can totally see your shaved portrait in the release trailer.

Everything else is accurate however.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm really impressed by the Empathy/Volition example. If that's the norm and not the exception, they have basically written every conversation as if you had a party of 25+ and each one could interject/argue with each other.

Also, the UI to judge each interaction chance of success is very clear, and that's a big plus for me.

I feel like that may be Volition's special power, it fits. It's basically the one that interjects when your other stats are acting up to bring you back to reality. I doubt most other stats will interact with each other that much.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SlightlyMad posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/03/disco-elysiums-developers-are-in-a-bloody-battle-for-the-human-mind/

Some points: Hold on to your save games; The devs are considering a bigger sequel and possible expansion with both male and female protagonists, if they get an opportunity to make it.

Man, you really buried the lead there, if they get to make their sequel the female protagonist is going to be 5 months pregnant. These guys are completely loving insane, if that interview is any indication. The game launch is the only thing that will reveal if they are insane geniuses or just nuts though.

I must admit, I'm getting INCREDIBLY excited for this. To a ludicrous degree.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

After seeing the preview and The Expression, I have made a decision to fight against the game so I'm going all in on social skills and turning my drunk loser into a SEXY drunk loser. This will inevitably fail.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I will intentionally deny the tie and be business casual cop.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I need to know where to get that shirt in-game. So I can beeline to it. And wear it WITH the Truly Horrific Tie.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

wiegieman posted:

From the promotional stuff they've done we know there's something weird going on in Revachol, and it's why the Shivers skill exists - you can feel the weird. The other skills only talk to you because of the years of alcohol and amphetamine abuse.

I mean, if you actually read the (reasonably spoilery) setting blog update they put out recently it makes it uh, rather obvious there's some WEIRD poo poo going on.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

KazigluBey posted:

There is absolutely no way this game isn't going to generate articles from writers who can't get over the whole "depiction =/= endorsement" thing, even if the overall work pulls this off brilliantly.

I like how the part of your body that tries to get you to embrace fascism is the lower intestine. You know, the part that's full of poo poo.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

We live in an unfair world where streamers already have full playthroughs up on twitch before the game is even released. This sucks. Why can't it be Tuesday already?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

When in doubt, always remember the important rule that anyone playing a game before release suffers a mysterious penalty to their playing skills.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

What does this even mean, Inland Empire!?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Holy poo poo I got a thought that gives me +3 Perception, at the small cost of losing out on a point of Encyclopedia.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pwnstar posted:

What was that from?

Indirect: You have to learn about something invisible. And be the kind of person who believes in invisible things, probably.
Direct: Ask the Cryptozoologist's Wife about Invisible Cryptids, you probably need high Inland Empire too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Volition is kind of boring a lot of the time, but don't let that fool you into thinking it's always right, or always boring! Volition has its own brand of bad decision making due to being so goddamn centrist and tedious.

On the other hand, Volition has COMPLETELY changed an entire dialog tree by basically calling out every single one of my other skills as idiots.

This game is loving incredible, is what I'm saying.

Edit: loving hell did we get the idea to speak about the same event at the exact same time, poster above me? What the heck?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I can't loving believe that of all my skills the one that deals with technology is reprimanding me

goty

Hey, gently caress you Interfacing, Authority told me Honour points are totally real AND it gave me 25000 honor points for sticking my thumb up my rear end!

Wait.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I read a harsh, dry, overly long realist novel from what was probably supposed to be Not-Russia and it literally killed me.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, the interrogation of Klaasje is like... Possibly one of the best pieces of videogame writing. Ever. I just sat there on the roof for a minute after it was done, just mulling it over, mulling over my own decision... This game cannot possibly be real, man.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Huh, I seem to have hit upon an odd bug where shirts no longer show up on my character model. No matter what I wear, it now looks like I'm going shirtless. Weird.

On the plus side, it's one of a very small amount of bugs I've seen so far. The Honour Cop thought seems bugged out, and forgetting thoughts is... Janky, to say the least. Couple of sequence issues (characters who have left a scene talking as if they're still there because I did things a bit out of order), but not much besides. Surprisingly solid.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

an actual dog posted:

And tbh the game is not subtitle about what it thinks are good and bad things so lmao

Oh, I dunno, I've found that the game is spectacularly egalitarian in that it makes fun of absolutely everyone more or less equally. It might make fun of the left a little less than the right, but nothing seems to escape its mocking gaze.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone found the t-500 pants?

There are no pants. Talking to... Someone or another about the armor reveals that the pants are simply no more.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, some of the later checks lead to some REALLY interesting info, I'm really glad I've succeeded at some of these 40% rolls. The final conclusion to the Church questline is incredible. I'm only sad that it feels like I'm coming to the end of the game, very little left to do here in Day 5.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Well, I beat it. The endgame had some pretty phenomenal scenes, but the very LAST scene felt oddly... Tacked on? I dunno, it felt weird. But other than that, a couple little bugs and a single point of annoying game design I'm not sure has a solution I missed Can you find your way into Ruby's hiding place WITHOUT the actually pretty hard Shivers check? It never seemed like anything else in the entire game was gated behind a single check like that... it was a fantastic experience and I'm already curious to see how some of this poo poo plays out with different builds. I went for a pretty schizophrenic meta build because that's just how I play games, and it seemed pretty effective, if a bit boring.

Oh, and the developer estimate for 60 hours for a normal playthrough is hilariously wrong. I read pretty fast, but without skimming, and did my playthrough as completionist as possible and it took me around 22 hours. I know developers tend to overestimate their game lengths, but drat.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SlightlyMad posted:

Yeah, the devs gave an estimate of 30 hours if you're rushing the game, 60 hours for a completionist. If you don't do every possible thing then getting through in less time is possible. Good news is that there's a lot to replay with different characters so getting 60 hours of fun out of it is entirely doable.

Did... You even read what I wrote? The 60 hour estimate was for a single playthrough, average. They said 90 for a completionist. And I didn't rush, I literally went everywhere possible and clicked on every dot and talked to everyone multiple times. It's not a slight against the game, just a funny comment about how wrong the dev estimate for completion time is.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh yeah, the best moments in this game are whenever the skills talk to each other. Every single instance of it is delightful. It's what kinda makes me want to do a cheated all max stats run, just to see how ridiculous my mental arguments get.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

pedro0930 posted:

After failing the check to stare Kassje in the eye, I got really curious about what you'd see so I start to pump points into volition. After failing 3 white checks and now being forced to be the straightest cop, the result didn't disappoint.

That whole sequence is absolutely phenomenal and it's worth every single point in Volition you might waste to get it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Speaking of hats, I ran into an amusing sequence bug involving them.

Early on, if you manage to let the bookstore woman's daughter back inside she gives you a detective hat, which I wore through most of the game. Later on, you get an opportunity to give your hat to a chick standing out in the ice. I was sad to lose my hat. Later on, while doing a quick roundup before beating the game, I talked to the little girl again and the dialog repeated as if she had never given me the hat, including me getting another copy of it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I dunno, you get some pretty fancy jackets as you go. There's a weird lack of pants in the game though, for whatever reason. I think there's like maybe 4 or 5 pants total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jerusalem posted:

Am I being really stupid in not understanding how to use health items? I've had a couple of game overs from losing morale but when I look in my inventory I don't see any of the consumables I've picked up while exploring.

Yes. You just click the buttons above the health/morale bars.