Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Knee posted:

Now I'm curious. Has an episode of T&P played at least once in each season of South Park? I kind of assume so... but still, curious.

I am pretty sure there have been seasons w/ no T&P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Finishing off the season with a Christmas Episode

NEW YORK, December 9, 2019 – The Holidays are off to a rough start in the season 23 finale
episode titled, “Christmas Snow”” airing on Wednesday, December 11 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

It’s a bleak Christmas Season in South Park this year and it’s all Santa’s fault. He is single handedly stealing the joy from the holiday. The town just wants their Christmas Spirit back but that will take a Christmas miracle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vchtqx8yaHg

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 9, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Got around to it late but the Scott Malkinson episode was OK. Could've been better. I would've liked to see the jokes about how the cable guys spent their time getting more and more absurd, but they kind of just stayed at one level. And satire-wise it was a little half-baked. The fact that cable companies still control internet connections should've been pretty obvious from the start, and there was obviously more to explore about streaming services in general. But I also would've settled for plain absurdity if they weren't really interested in making some kind of point.

I did enjoy the meta stuff where the different "shows" from this season were referenced as if they were direct-to-streaming spinoffs.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 9, 2019

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Finishing off the season with a Christmas Episode

NEW YORK, December 9, 2019 – The Holidays are off to a rough start in the season 23 finale
episode titled, “Christmas Snow”” airing on Wednesday, December 11 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

It’s a bleak Christmas Season in South Park this year and it’s all Santa’s fault. He is single handedly stealing the joy from the holiday. The town just wants their Christmas Spirit back but that will take a Christmas miracle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vchtqx8yaHg

Oh boy, putting a Greta joke out there...

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Well, that looks terrible.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Well, that looks terrible.

Didn't look great but i'm gonna say they have a record of christmas episodes (Critters christmas/Christmas in canada/Red sleigh down) being really, really good so I am hopeful.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bring back Mr Hanky.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CBJSprague24 posted:

I loved the callbacks to PC Babies, Crab People, and the jewelry show. I also liked the subtle joke that Terrance and Phillip had been on for 23 seasons.

"No one likes PC Babies."

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Riot Bimbo posted:

This poo poo absolutely emboldens all kinds of heinous poo poo against trans people.

Yardbomb posted:

you know for a fact that a ton of people will take the entirely wrong thought from that episode,

why is there such certainty that hate-filled humans get their fuel from an irrelevant cartoon that shits on small-minded people twice as much as any other type?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Davros1 posted:

"No one likes PC Babies."

P hosed up thing to say considering it's the analogue to the muppet babies

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ShoogaSlim posted:

why is there such certainty that hate-filled humans get their fuel from an irrelevant cartoon that shits on small-minded people twice as much as any other type?

because it's very loudly and overtly happened a whole bunch of times at this point, and is (to my understanding) a lot of why they're doubling back on stuff like manbearpig

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Manbearpig is the perfect example to bring up here because back when that episode first aired, people were like "they obviously don't actually believe global warming is a hoax, they're just expressing that idea in a ridiculously over-the-top way that we all know is an absurdist joke." Then a decade later they explicitly apologize for it and whoops, I guess that actually was the point of that episode.

(I do kinda hate that this discussion is still going, but honestly there isn't really anything to discuss in the last 2 episodes, so it's just as well)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

because it's very loudly and overtly happened a whole bunch of times at this point

No it hasn't

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A show based around trying to offend people has to be careful that people don't decide that it's speaking to them...

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

ChesterJT posted:

No it hasn't

But all those troglodytes that watch south park and make governmental and MNC policies were loudly and overtly enabled because Matt and Trey manbearbipg'd. In the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

That's why they doubled back on that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why does everyone think that ManBearPig is about them denying climate change? Rewatch that episode, it’s 100% about how you can’t be a sanctimoniously smug rear end in a top hat about something without people thinking you’re full of poo poo. That episode is about Al Gore being a whiny douchebag, it’s not about climate change not being real whatsoever.

It’s just annoying because that is the de facto “Matt & Trey used to be serious CHUDs” example but that isn’t in the text of the episode at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
ManBearPig specifically shows up in The Stick of Truth as an imaginary creature. And the followup episode specifically has Al Gore go 'I gave up and moved on with my life just like you told me to, and now you come begging for help? Your problem now, lol' with Stan starting to imitate his speech patterns. Pretty clear the idea is they were full on climate change deniers and did a 180 because they realised they were dangerously wrong.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Al Gore had already shown climate change was happening. That wasn't really debatable. But they wanted to shed light on the menace of manbearpig. It was also about how the truly greedy would rather eat actual money than share it with the less fortunate.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ManBearPig specifically shows up in The Stick of Truth as an imaginary creature. And the followup episode specifically has Al Gore go 'I gave up and moved on with my life just like you told me to, and now you come begging for help? Your problem now, lol' with Stan starting to imitate his speech patterns. Pretty clear the idea is they were full on climate change deniers and did a 180 because they realised they were dangerously wrong.

You’re taking the silly analogy they made for a video game and spinning climate change denial from Whole Cloth. I’m imploring you, watch the episode again. That’s not climate change denial.

Also it’s literally impossible to live in Denver and also deny Climate Change

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

:psyduck:

Let's check what southpark.cc.com has to say:

"Fan Question: I know there’s usually stories that inspire South Park episodes and jokes, is there anything like that behind Al Gore and ManBearPig?

Answer: Yep, there definitely is. Al Gore came out with a documentary called “An Inconvenient Truth” right around the time that episode came out (in 2006). In it, Gore preaches about the super-cereal affect of global warming and how he’s really serious, and no one is listening to him.

In simpler words, ManBearPig is an allegory for Global Warming. Watch this clip, it might make a little more sense now. EXCELSIOR!!"

https://southpark.cc.com/blog/2014/07/01/fan-question-whats-the-story-behind-al-gore-and-manbearpig

In that episode, they make no effort to show that ManBearPig is real, everybody thinks Al Gore is full of poo poo, and later on, ManBearPig shows up in Imagination Land, as an imaginary character.

Edit: your take would make more sense if they presented ManBearPig as being totally real, but everybody chose to willingly ignore Al Gore because he was being a douche, but ManBearPig is definitely imaginary until the second MBP episode.

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 11, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bust Rodd posted:

Why does everyone think that ManBearPig is about them denying climate change? Rewatch that episode, it’s 100% about how you can’t be a sanctimoniously smug rear end in a top hat about something without people thinking you’re full of poo poo. That episode is about Al Gore being a whiny douchebag, it’s not about climate change not being real whatsoever.

This is exactly what I used to say to defend the episode, until last season when they went out of their way to make an episode saying "actually yes, we were laughing off climate change as a whole when we made that episode, and we were wrong, and this is our apology." I don't know how it can even still be up for debate after that, unless you approach it as some SuperMechaGodzilla "death of the author" thing

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
In true South Park form, it works in both ways. A lot of the time they show 'hate' or disdain towards some sort of liberal cause it's not necessarily because they themselves don't believe in it, or that supporting it is just, rather they hate that there's a community of backslapping pompous douches that spring up around it and suddenly start using it as a way to ostracize and bully people who aren't in that circle.

Hybrid cards, whole foods, even this season with legalized weed; they don't always hate or dislike the cause: just the people supporting it.

I think in the case of ManBearPig it's pretty obvious that they didn't believe the science behind what Gore was saying or didn't care and just straight up misrepresented the situation. How can you know that? Because they made the episode where they showed it was real. If they didn't actually care, and were just douches about it then they wouldn't have made an episode that people took as an apology, and they certainly would have spoken out if they didn't want it to be an apology.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

south park is gospel, and we interpret it in different ways.

clearly the most logical name is Allied Atheist Alliance!

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

ShoogaSlim posted:

clearly the most logical name is Allied Atheist Alliance!

Dude gently caress you. Really? Obviously the answer to the Great Question is Unified Atheist League!

AAA, triple A? What are you? A car service?

By the end of this argument we're all going to be bouncing on bubbles or some poo poo

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Knee posted:

Dude gently caress you. Really? Obviously the answer to the Great Question is Unified Atheist League!

AAA, triple A? What are you? A car service?

By the end of this argument we're all going to be bouncing on bubbles or some poo poo

You have really too high expectations of goons if you think this argument will come to an end.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The adults in South Park are a bunch of assholes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So Randy definitely added coke to it, didn't he

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Not really a fan of that episode.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s just annoying because that is the de facto “Matt & Trey used to be serious CHUDs” example but that isn’t in the text of the episode at all.

People are forgetting about Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow which is much more explicitly critical of global warming itself than ManBearPig is.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Pretty good episode end to a pretty good season, in my opinion. It sure had alot of tegridy.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Mackey's soulful mmmmmmkayyyyy~ at the end of the intro song was pretty great.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Good enough episode, but it does feel like they're retreading a lot of old ground. Definitely didn't do enough with the kids this season.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 12, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Needs more Mr Hanky.

Also, I guess Matt and trey have been doing some high quality blow.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You have really too high expectations of goons people if you think this argument will come to an end.

Shitenshi posted:

The adults in South Park real life are a bunch of assholes.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty good episode, I liked the twisted take on Christmas special tropes and how they found a way to tie up the season with 'Tegridy. I'd say this easily the best season since 18 (the one with Handicar, Grounded Vindaloop, and Cock Magic).

What the hell was with the Greta Thunberg namedrop though? The preview made me think this was going to be making fun of all the conservatives getting pissed about her doing nothing more than saying what's already been said for decades now, with Santa filling her role, but it really wasn't that at all or if it was, the analogy was way too loose.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm glad they ended the episode with a Santa Claus "Coke" advertisement because it would've been a real missed opportunity otherwise.

Overall solid episode. It does seem like this season couldn't get by without a little "Tegridy" but it is what it is. Hopefully they'll still be able to figure out something next season, since I doubt that will really carry them much farther.

I love whenever Randy switches from regular Randy mode to Tegridy mode with the southern drawl.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

What the hell was with the Greta Thunberg namedrop though? The preview made me think this was going to be making fun of all the conservatives getting pissed about her doing nothing more than saying what's already been said for decades now, with Santa filling her role, but it really wasn't that at all or if it was, the analogy was way too loose.

Yeah IDK, that was a little weird. Nothing sinister about it but just an odd name drop. They did accidentally stumble into this week's news though, in 2 ways: Thunberg being Time's person of the year, and a controversy over Santa and cocaine. (Though "snow = cocaine" is obviously a super old joke.) Any worries about them saying Greta needs to know her place or whatever were gone immediately when they showed all the people drunk driving. Good luck finding any message in this episode: cocaine is kind of like weed and alcohol, except how it isn't, and maybe they should all be banned, or maybe not. I think they settled on "IDK, it makes you think, anyway here's some crazy F'ed up stuff" which is fine by me.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 12, 2019

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

There were some decent jokes in this one, I thought the meta jokes landed and Randy legalizing Cocaine had me genuinely laughing pretty hard.

A solid B episode

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Codependent Poster posted:

Not really a fan of that episode the Tegridy Farms storyline.

I'm hoping we never hear Randy with a forced, folksy twang....evur agiiiiiiiiiiiin.

The season-long plots with continuity could be fun if done right, but none of them are. Gerald the Troll, Cartman/Heidi, Tegridy Farms (how do you gently caress up a season-long Randy Marsh Adventure?). They all sucked.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Hipster Occultist posted:

There were some decent jokes in this one, I thought the meta jokes landed and Randy legalizing Cocaine had me genuinely laughing pretty hard.

A solid B episode

Another C episode for me, but otherwise agree completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm hoping we never hear Randy with a forced, folksy twang....evur agiiiiiiiiiiiin.

The season-long plots with continuity could be fun if done right, but none of them are. Gerald the Troll, Cartman/Heidi, Tegridy Farms (how do you gently caress up a season-long Randy Marsh Adventure?). They all sucked.

But Tegridy farms was great? :confused: