Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The episode was fine, I don't have much to say about it other than it seemed stronger than their typical premieres. At this point I don't expect too much from the show. It's overall a lot less hit or miss now than it used to be but that also means we don't get as many episodes that knock it out of the park, either. I agree that it's just still kind of fascinating to watch simply because of how old it is and how much it has grown and evolved with the times. It was originally intended to shock and to ruffle feathers, and now it feels like a comforting voice of reason.

Sir Lemming posted:

As much as I've come to resent some of Parker & Stone's views, or rather their default posture of "caring about stuff is stupid",

They very clearly abandoned this stance and "truth is in the middle" years ago. I'm not sure how that could be your takeaway from the last few seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

edit: Get your bingo cards ready for classic forum responses such as 'serialization killed the show' and 'we need more kids being kids episodes'.

I mean I think everyone would agree that Matt & Trey should commit to doing at least one of these per season, but I know the chances of even getting one are slim so I'm not going to be letdown if we don't get one.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have to ask... did anyone actually laugh at Pooh getting violently murdered on screen? “Cute, innocent thing = murder it!!!” Seems so early 2000’s NewGrounds or Robot Chicken edgelord-esque.

The aftermath with Randy casually dropping “oh, yeah, I murdered Winnie the Pooh” was good, though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Vulgar posted:

So, I’m sittin here partaking of some Tegridy:420: and I got to thinking, Disney has a new streaming service soon, what if this is just a ploy to keep subscribers on Hulu and not subscribe to Disney?

It’s like, levels, man
:capitalism:

Disney has majority ownership and full control of Hulu

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've had the impossible whopper twice. The most impressive thing is that it looks and feels like ground beef. With the first few bites it even tastes the same. The big difference for me is that it leaves a weird, liquid smoke and burnt beans aftertaste in your mouth that stays with you for a while. However, I have had other plant-based meat substitutes that are better, so a lot of that is probably just Burger King being lovely.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Impossible burgers are supposed to be the next step to Beyond burgers. I've had both, and yeah the Beyond burger was terrible. Impossible is a passable alternative.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was loving awesome, best of the season so far. I typically think South Park is at its best when they don't try to make any sort of point and just go all in on some absurd idea.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Did YOU know.... that Snoop Dogg smokes weed?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was actually kinda hoping they would go the whole season with this.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This may have been the most solid stretch of episodes they’ve done in quite some time. I hope they can continue this momentum through the end of the season.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think PC Principal is great as a secondary character, but I don't think he should get A or B plots.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I liked it a lot. It doesn't seem like it will cause too much of an uproar or anything but you never know.

Is this the first time PC Principal's real name has been revealed? (Peter Charles)

Also I was confused by the "Tegridy Farms" outro music still being used. Maybe the next episode will be the "season 2 premiere"?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Agreed that so far this is probably the strongest season since 18 or 19. Season 20 was a trainwreck and 21 was completely forgettable. However, I would never say that any of these are worse than the first two seasons. They have aged horribly imo.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, but that's why the episode went out of its way to clarify that the target of their criticism is men who state they recently started identifying as a woman without even doing any HRT and not trans women who have endured the whole transformation process.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

TheFattestPat posted:

Well Matt and Trey broke the rules. You aren't allowed to ever say anything bad about trannies ever. They have to be protected at all costs so they can go beat women at sports.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Well thank you for demonstrating how Matt and Trey’s satire can create false affirmations of aligning with the beliefs of lovely people. I honestly didn’t think we’d see this in this thread but welp,

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Really? Blue hair bothers you in tyool 2019?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you ever liked Family Guy, the current season and the last season, for the most part, have been surprisingly good. It's like they give a crap again. However if you never liked it you won't suddenly like it now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This was pretty great. I went through a reaction like Kyle when I was a kid and first learned about microorganisms. This episode would have destroyed me back then. I'm excited for what the next episode's opening intro will be too with this new format.

Also imagine showing this episode to someone who has never seen South Park or not really since it's early years. You'd have to explain that, no, the gratuitous poop and farts themselves aren't the joke, it's the absurdity of them actually following through with this and showing it straight faced. Like, kids will laugh at the poop, adults will laugh at the fact that this shouldn't work, but does and somehow doesn't still doesn't seem too low brow. But also poop.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Episode was mostly really good, though I wish they had focused a little more on cable companies' heel-digging on hanging on to expensive channel packages instead of letting people pay to watch only what they want to watch. I thought the joke of the cable guys doing anything other than their job/task was funny the first time but they kept repeating it which felt like filler. Also, the cable guys will still be a thing even as more and more people cut the cord since most of us still get our internet through our cable company.

Overall I feel this is the best season since 18 (the one with Handicar, Grounded Vindaloop, and Cock Magic), and I almost wish half of it wasn't spent on Tegridy Farms because I'm digging these creative new intros.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Well, that looks terrible.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty good episode, I liked the twisted take on Christmas special tropes and how they found a way to tie up the season with 'Tegridy. I'd say this easily the best season since 18 (the one with Handicar, Grounded Vindaloop, and Cock Magic).

What the hell was with the Greta Thunberg namedrop though? The preview made me think this was going to be making fun of all the conservatives getting pissed about her doing nothing more than saying what's already been said for decades now, with Santa filling her role, but it really wasn't that at all or if it was, the analogy was way too loose.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Randy goes on crusades about people not wearing their masks properly/at all, but then does the same things himself.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I didn't care for it, it just felt to me like they were going through a COVID checklist.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I honestly liked Randy better as kind of a bumbling Homer Simpson-esque idiot. The direction they've taken him with this Tegridy Farms stuff just isn't really funny anymore.

Yeah, they are really ruining him. Being a hypocrite has always been a big part of his character but it was always like every day stuff, now he's an evil abusive villain. Plus, he should never have become a main character, let alone THE main character, as he works much better as a B-plot vehicle.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was really hoping for "THIS IS WHAT QANON ACTUALLY BELIEVES" flashing text when they were animating their conspiracy theories. Missed opportunity there.

Also I felt like they should have completely emphasized how loving stupid and insane it is rather than attempt to give some "maybe" nods to it, even if it was tongue in cheek. The idiots will take the wrong message from it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I did like all the callbacks. Normally I'm not a fan of shoehorned in fanservice, but South Park does it really sparingly, so to see so much of it in one episode was fun. A nice reminder of why I've stuck with this show for over 20 years.

My favorite was the note that said "Whale on the moon?" on the conspiracy board.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Still kinda scratching my head at their decision to say "Haha that QANON stuff is pretty dumb and crazy, right? But also it could be true ;) ;) I mean who knows!" instead of just flat out saying "no, this is dumb as poo poo". Maybe they didn't want to be accused of being part of the coverup?

"They did what they thought would be funny"... well, it was mildly entertaining at best.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They’ve managed to avoid reaching anywhere near Simpsons level of garbage but I don’t know how much longer that can last. It also seems pretty apparent that they would rather be doing other stuff. I wish this wasn’t happening. Another year or two and a movie to finish everything off, sure.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It seems pretty clear to me that their "6 days to air" method was a winning formula at one point but no longer is and hasn't been for a while now. If they weren't phoning it in I feel like they'd try a different approach by now, but they do seem to be content with it just being "good enough", and they have a built in excuse for when the episodes turn out lovely. I know I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but it's hard not to when so many episodes or multi-episode arcs fall apart now because they were too deep into it before realizing it doesn't work but now they're out of time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Classic Simpsons is infinitely better than the best American Dad and early American Dad has aged pretty poorly.

American Dad is the same premise, over and over. Roger creates a new persona for a scheme to help the family. But wait! Roger is actually screwing the family over for his own personal gain! In the end he ends up in trouble but the family saves him anyway because family or something. Repeat for 75% of all episodes and handwave it by acknowledging it with meta references.

Sure, it has its moments. But I really think it's more that the other shows have sucked for so long that people forgot how good they used to be than American Dad actually being one of the all time greats.

Rick and Morty may be overwritten and edgelord-y but you can't say the creators aren't giving it all they've got, which I have never gotten the impression from American Dad. It's more like Bob's Burgers - almost always good, but rarely great. Almost no episodes stand out or are memorable because they're all so same-y.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 7, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

This actually very rarely happens. The majority of his personas are for selfish or reasons entirely unrelated to the family and they know that. Most of the time the family just decides to do some weird thing.

Well, ok. But "Roger + persona = problems" constitutes probably the majority of American Dad content regardless of who he's trying to screw over.

empty baggie posted:

American Dad tends to be pretty repetitive, but Rogers personas aren’t the problem and save bad episodes more often than not.

I'd have to disagree. He's so overused that I find it exhausting. He's an obvious writing crutch.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That summary reads like it was written by someone who hasn't actually seen American Dad and is just kinda guessing as to what it's about.

Nope, I've seen most of them but stopped around the switch to TBS. Your post reads like someone who hasn't actually watched classic South Park and Simpsons in a while. How many American Dad memorable moments are there? Now think about how many memorable Simpsons and South Park moments there are. Simpsons and South Park episodes are still discussed and still in the public consciousness 20 to 30 years later.

edit: wait, the switch to TBS happened in 2014? drat, Ok, I guess there's a lot I haven't seen. If it actually got better after the switch then I guess I'll give it another shot at some point.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 7, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Part one was definitely better. I wish they would stop attempting multi-part anything because every single time it’s obvious that they wrote themselves into a corner or changed their mind along the way, so we get a half baked ending and “haha gently caress it Tegridy Weed is the answer again since we know you guys are sick of it”. This time it wasn’t that bad but you could still tell.

All of the Alexa stuff was badly handled. It would have been funnier if Kyle’s Alexa remained pleasant to show that it was Stan’s attitude being the problem. It also felt like they were building up to a bigger reveal with them but instead nothing really happened other than they distracted Butters I guess.

They could have done the Blade Runner joke about 10 less times.

I did love Victor Chaos though because I have a friend who is deep into NFT’s and crypto poo poo and they were absolutely spot on with everything Butters said about them.

I actually felt bad for Cartman and felt like it was slightly too far which is weird to say.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
What kills me is they know everyone wants that. It can't even be that much harder to do that. But they still probably won't. We're going to get at least a half-hearted arc at minimum that concludes with something something yadda yadda Tegridy Weed. If they DON'T do this, I'll be surprised. The first episode of a season is always ultra topical and soapbox-y too so I will be surprised if this one isn't.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty solid for a season opener, which usually are way more topical, whereas this one only sort of was. I guess the three pandemic specials got that out of their system.

Still, I couldn't help but think that the concept would have worked perfectly fine without any commentary. Yes, this is an example of South Park mixing the two well. But it's still tiresome at this point.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
For me it's not about which side they're taking. It's that I, and I'd wager most of the fans, do not want South Park to be the Matt & Trey Soapbox show. I know it has been this for a very long time, but all along they've still been able to put out several episodes each season that are not ultra topical. Those episodes also make up like 90% of the most beloved episodes. I still watch every new episode because even the "soapbox" episodes typically have at least a few elements that make them worth watching. But far too often, they have a funny enough idea that works on its own, but then they'll work in the current event parallel they feel obligated to include, and it almost always kills the fun a little for me. Like I said before, this episode is far from the worst example, BUT "the kids, followed by the entire town get WAY too into Pajama Day" is a funny enough premise, and didn't need commentary on masks. Like, the four previous episodes were extended length and entirely about Covid. Was that not enough?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The first season with PC Principal (s19) was actually really good though IMO. As was the previous season, AKA the "Randy is Lorde" season. That was the first one where they had any sort of season-long arc and they just kinda did it on a whim, but it was so loose that it worked. s20 was where they learned that you can't make a tightly woven season-long arc while 1. still writing it on the fly and 2. still basing it on current events.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed this episode except for a few things. Stan's voice has been getting harsher for a while, but man it really stood out in this episode. I don't mind Tegridy Farms, the issue is just that it's been an integral part of way too many episodes at this point. But this may actually be the start of it's downfall, so perhaps this is their way of addressing that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've seen numerous comments on this episode where people are claiming that "actually, Matt & Trey aren't owning up to a past mistake, they're making fun of people who would be offended by this." This is why I avoid talking about still watching the show.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was hoping it was a Cartman and Butters team up episode but it wasn't. Still, it was pretty good, I have no complaints really. It definitely felt like an old school episode which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

A For Effort posted:

Wow, this episode was a complete masterpiece compared to this garbage that aired after it. What were they thinking? Makes me appreciate south park more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqNKz1ohnN4

The pit of "bad adult animated sitcoms" is deep but this... this very well might be the bottom.