Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

Sir Lemming posted:

There's also whatever the hell the Mr. Hankey episode was, but honestly that was almost too confusing to be problematic.

I got the impression the Mr. Hankey episode was analogous to Roseanne making a comeback only to get destroyed by cancel culture when she made racist political tweets, because instead of apologizing she doubled down and got drummed right out of Disney. You know, like what's been happening to a lot of famous people that get called out but choose to fight cancel culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

Waltzing Along posted:

Act 1 good.
Act 2 good, but not as good as act 1.
Act 3. Failed to stick the landing. Also character inconsistency. Cartmans mom, in the past, would have forced him to get the immunization. Not what happened in the episode.

I had the opposite view and felt it started slow then built up to get better. A few chuckles here and there for most of the episode then loved the ending.

Act 1. Okay, cute, Cartman's a pig. Not the first time they compared him to one, of course. Nice touch with the "My body, my choice" shirt, Cartman. Co-opting other movements as usual.
Act 2. Yup, professional hog-tying, saw that coming. Nice callout on China. Even funnier that Cartman registered himself with the Immunization Round-Up as an Orthodox Jew much like he tried to do in order to escape the ICE camp a few episodes back.
Act 3. The "artistic" Sharon Cartman punchline got a good long laugh out of me, probably the best they could've done with that setup. I was expecting anaphylaxis instead. I concur though that while they did develop his mom to actually stand up to her son (like she did in "Tsst") they also backslid her to spoil him again by freeing him from the round-up.

Just sends a weird mixed message when you're tackling something like immunization where the public health outweighs the personal objections based on misinformation of a minority and their "right" to not immunize. Might've been some of Matt and Trey's libertarian leanings seeping in on that one, given the usual stance from that party on things like drugs and smoking is to deregulate and legalize everything for persons over 18 to enforce "Individual rights", despite something like smoking actually affecting a lot more people than the smoker.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Was ok. Also Randy is already a multimillionaire from being Lorde.

They actually explained that when Stan got addicted to microtransactions, apparently he spent a vast majority of his dad's Lorde money in that episode.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

To people worried that the episode reinforces bigotry: The ADL said the same thing about the film "Borat", with its over-the-top Jew jokes, and idiots they came across openly advocating homophobic violence and slavery, the ADL said "Despite this film obviously being satire, we're concerned it may reinforce some people's bigotry". Did it though? I think most people focused on the idiots and most of the humor was based on seeing just how lovely people are when they think they're talking to a foreign guy who won't mind their bigoted bullshit. It was great watching them cry about not being able to sue Fox for defamation.

I mean, I can cite an anecdote of my best friend's homophobic stepdad laughing his rear end off at the nude wrestling scene saying "Them fags really do that! Har har har!" but he didn't need a fictional satirical movie to reinforce his idiocy. The guy's a federal prison guard and has his racism and homophobia reinforced daily seeing all the regular violence and rapes he does at work among their racially diverse inmates.

Anyone saying "The satirical cartoon show I watched says X group is dumb so it's okay to gently caress with them" looks like the very moron they are. It's what I had to explain to a Canadian friend of mine who said he was regularly bullied in school due to South Park's wacky depiction of Canadians, and ended up hating the show forever over it. I think he would've benefited a lot from laughing that mockery off, rather than flipping out from it, not that it made bullying okay..

These days you can't have subtle satire, it goes over people's heads or they take it the wrong way and get pissed. There's people on Facebook re-posting Onion articles like "Racist fan commits suicide over black Stormtrooper" that are clearly satire and getting royally pissed thinking they're real. I think that's why Matt and Trey chose a Macho Man analog for their satire, because it was so over-the-top they probably figured everyone would know they weren't referring to actual transgender athletes, but the right's perception of what happens if major sports allows trans people to compete. You know, hence Cartman being a big fan of the character, since he's always been the bullying rear end in a top hat, he'd admire a fellow bully.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

Another episode that I didn't really find many laughs in. Scott's plot was pretty weak and the only real laughs I had were from the Cable guys which felt kind of dated. I also don't live in a place where lovely cable service is a thing so I guess I might find more humor in that if it were more a presence in my day to day.

I've had my own frustrations with my local cable company since my place has the outside coaxial cable literally running through tree branches up to the pole (so I've had my fair share of service calls), every time there's a window I seem to get them at the very end of it, but I don't assume the tech is screwing around not doing his job. Hell, most of the time I don't even get someone who actually works for them, it's a subcontractor like 90% chance.

But yeah, that joke was pretty funny the first time, but they went right back to it again and again. I actually thought Nathan injecting insulin was better, because wouldn't that absolutely crash his glucose levels, since he (presumably) isn't diabetic?

quote:

I thought this episode was funny for sure, if a little heavy on the diabetes humor, but it’s wild that we can have like a 5 page discussion about the hilariously bad takes on trans people and then this episode revolves around the most dated, mean-spirited tropes of cable guys being lazy, irrational bitches who will stop at nothing to destroy their closest customers for meager gains and there isn’t a peep.

This feeds back into the "punching down" thing people were talking about before. If the humor is feeding into stereotypes about people that are actually actively oppressed by society, that's pretty hosed up. But something as innocuous as "cable service sucks and their techs are lazy LOL" isn't likely to reinforce some bigot's vote for the next bathroom bill. I mean I kinda come from the "nothing is sacred" camp of comedy, so the Randy Savage character didn't offend me, but I still see people's point.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

Did anyone else notice the voices sounded particularly strained in this one? Especially Mr. Garrison and Cartman. I know Matt and Trey are getting older and that vocal cords tend to change as you age (just listen how Mike Judge does Beavis now, or Patrick Stewart talking in ST:Picard for example) but it definitely stood out to me. At least they didn't resort to AI voice modulation for the episode (though it would've definitely been on-topic for the plot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Beavis sounds the same as he always has to me. One of the things I was shocked about watching new B&B was how he didn’t lose those voices one bit.

He can't hit the high pitches he used to when Beavis screams. If you remember "Cult of Cornholio" from the 2013 revival, when Butthead puts that screw through his hands, Beavis' scream sounds really disjointed and breathy, like it's outside Judge's vocal range these days.

Haven't noticed too much else with their voices in the new series though.