Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

don't know what's going on, but I love plague on the cob!

You have to :justpost: and win!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

moist

schadenfreude

perambulate

vestibular

finocchio

intestate

ty nesamdoom!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Goons Are Great posted:

You have to :justpost: and win!!

I have no desire to win, but I do love posting

sb hermit

Manifisto posted:

moist

schadenfreude

um uh

bratwurst
schnitzel
spätzle
jägermeister
humid

anagnorisis
peripeteia
serendipity

Heather Papps

hello friend

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I have no desire to win, but I do love posting

twins

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

sb hermit

I want to travel to Germany to eat bratwurst, schnitzels, and spätzle, washed down with hefeweizen and shots of jägermeister, preferably in a place that is not humid.

At which point my mind will find anagnorisis, followed by peripeteia, leading to serendipity

sb hermit

Oktoberfest is coming! Or is it already here?

Goons Are Gifts

It's English words because German consists entirely out of various synonyms for beer and that would be a weird but not uncommon way to tackle a disease, however it does fit the current Oktoberfest where I heard they apparently drink beer for whatever reason.

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

It's English words because German consists entirely out of various synonyms for beer and that would be a weird but not uncommon way to tackle a disease, however it does fit the current Oktoberfest where I heard they apparently drink beer for whatever reason.

I said schadenfreude to cheekily touch upon the issue of loan words

are they english

are they

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

Will drinking tea and eating figs and Asian pear help?

sb hermit

I have already brought upon this thread the plague of lurking.

sb hermit

If a therapy dog's job is to calmly receive pets and affection, then how would they spend a day off? I'm sure they would prefer to receive pets and affection, but they can now exercise their own agency to receive it on more of their own terms than having to endure it out of a sense of duty.

In that respect, a therapy cat can choose to simply not work and request their own space at any time.

Which has the better work life balance, I wonder?

Escape From Noise

el dorito posted:

If a therapy dog's job is to calmly receive pets and affection, then how would they spend a day off? I'm sure they would prefer to receive pets and affection, but they can now exercise their own agency to receive it on more of their own terms than having to endure it out of a sense of duty.

In that respect, a therapy cat can choose to simply not work and request their own space at any time.

Which has the better work life balance, I wonder?

On their days off they roll around in feces and/or dead animals and lose it at delivery people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

I said schadenfreude to cheekily touch upon the issue of loan words

are they english

are they

I mean, technically, no they are not. But having Schadenfreude in the Kindergarten with the other Bratwursts is somehow so well understood in the English speaking world that it made it into the dictionary the robot I used to generate the words is using, so these words may actually appear, too.

As long as you can order a beer in German though, you are probably safe in any way, because that solves any problem at all times.

Goons Are Gifts

You are definitely on a roll today, because you just triggered a third word in one day. My research found out that animal/animals is indeed infected, triggering a double infection inside of the already infected you, resulting in a super infection! You will now STAY infected even after the first treatment in the leper's colony that you will have to start now, which means you have to get another treatment afterwards to really cure you.
Also, the disease has mutated again, swapping out the now clear word "animal" for something else, plus adding another highly infectious word to the infection list.

This is getting brutal, because with this mutation the three currently infected posters will now go for special treatment in the leper's colony. I hope you will be able to enjoy your time regardless, because I heard they have fresh pudding there right now.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 24, 2019

Video Nasty

oh gosh a plague sounds very bad :ohdear: I hope everyone in the yob is okay!

lost my old email

people were hard back in the plague times, they had a very "yolo" attitude about the whole situation

woooooo tiny shout out to deaf sex woooooooo it is spooky and i should have slept more posting up a storm this night wooooooooooooo i say. tiny shout out to mocking quantum also that guy rules. whoooooooooooo

lost my old email

"you plaguing bro?"
"lol yeah i'm hosed haha"

that's how it was back then. in those days

woooooo tiny shout out to deaf sex woooooooo it is spooky and i should have slept more posting up a storm this night wooooooooooooo i say. tiny shout out to mocking quantum also that guy rules. whoooooooooooo

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Is one of the cure words cowbell?

sb hermit

maybe, for a natural remedy, you can go hiking in the land of ten thousand lakes and drink hard liquor like vodka or a refreshing beer or maybe just be nice

sb hermit

I watched half of timetrap on Netflix and I was about to stop watching at maybe 15 minutes in or so but then they made a goonies reference so I voted 5 and now I'm trying to watch the rest of it, even though I really should be getting sleep right now.

ChubbyChecker

i've never been sick since i have an endless supply of apples to sling at diseases spreading doctors

nut

banana potato chips tomato hamburger fries fries fries peanuts walnut shake my hand flip and dance toot a horn get reborn devote your life to one truly holy jah above in the clouds or maybe in some kind of cloud kingdom surrounded by an air moat and with a draw bridge made of ketchup doritos what a world to end up i can almost taste it now take me lord for i cannot swim or fly

Escape From Noise

I would say if a loan word is widely understood it becomes an English word. I mean, most loan words change meaning as loan words. I mean douche means shower in French and is a loan word for shower in German as well. English is almost half loan words anyways.

Japan has a ton of English loan words, many of which have an altered meaning in Japanese, but the local definition is understood.

Goons Are Gifts

You are treading on dangerous ground here, double posting an obviously very infected word like a madman! You can call yourself lucky that only the first one triggered because it was yourself posting it in the following post. Still, it was very much infected, is very much clear now, but replaced by another infected word plus the plague mutated and developed a seventh word on the infection list.

Oh what dire times we live in.

death sext

Hey guys, I'm starting to think this "posting" thing that doctor in the alley behind the Moe's Southwest Grill isn't really a cure. I'm kind of feeling like I shouldn't have given him all my bones in exchange for this information. Plus now that I think about it, he looked a lot like a dog someone dressed up like a doctor, probably on account of how cute that would be. It would explain why he wanted all my bones so much.

Anyway I think my trash bag and garbage suit is worth another conversation. If we could talk about it without everyone yelling at me that would be great because I have anxiety. So, uh, house meeting at 7 I guess. Hope to see you there.

death sext fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 24, 2019

Manifisto

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I would say if a loan word is widely understood it becomes an English word. I mean, most loan words change meaning as loan words. I mean douche means shower in French and is a loan word for shower in German as well. English is almost half loan words anyways.

Japan has a ton of English loan words, many of which have an altered meaning in Japanese, but the local definition is understood.

Wikipedia posted:

According to the linguist Suzanne Kemmer, the expression "foreign word" can be defined as follows in English: "[W]hen most speakers do not know the word and if they hear it think it is from another language, the word can be called a foreign word. There are many foreign words and phrases used in English such as bon vivant (French), mutatis mutandis (Latin), and Schadenfreude (German)."[13]

I will admit that schadenfreude sounds extremely german, but it's darn useful and may well fully assimilate. "kindergarten" I would say is so ubiquitous that most speakers don't think about it as a foreign word.

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

when i was in saskatchewan i said gesundheit and people did not understand or use that word, even tho' there is a large german contingent that came to like, kick the natives out and farm. you'd think this extremely common term would not confuse the heck out of them but oh welp.

also, they call hooded sweaters "bunnyhugs" and it makes me want to puke

death sext

Bunnyhug flu is sweeping Canada at alarming rates. Infected people, colloquially known as "bunnyhuggers" spread their disease by wearing their insidious comfy uniform and hugging innocent victims.

The friendly hat of the Americas is merely the beginning of what will be a terrifying pandemic...

ChubbyChecker

balls & butts

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Sure, why not? Yolo!

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

From Shakespeare's Dick III, 1594:

CATESBY:
Rescue, my Lord of Norfolk, rescue, rescue!
The king enacts more wonders than a man,
Daring an opposite to every danger:
His dildo is slain, and all on foot he fights,
Seeking for Richmond in the throat of death.
Rescue, fair lord, or else the day is lost!

KING DICK III:
A dildo! a dildo! my kingdom for a dildo!

CATESBY:
Withdraw, my lord; I'll help you to a dildo *unbuttons pantaloons*

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

ChubbyChecker

h*eck!

Escape From Noise

Sing along with me!

We who survived the plague
We have nothing
We have nothing
We have nothing
We have nothing

Oh we have labored
We have toiled
Yes we cleared this land
That we farm
And now the nation
Whom we've fed
Looks upon us with scorn
And now the forest
The mighty forest
Shall return to conquer

Oh we are a mirror
A distant mirror
When you look at us you will see
All your dreams
Crushed upon the sea

Oh we have labored
We have toiled
We built our cities of stone
We have died
We did not fail
We built our cities of stone
Yes we built our prisons
With their bars
We built the churches and spires
We built our palaces
And government houses
We built slums where we starve

Oh we are a mirror
A distant mirror
When you look at us you will see
All your dreams
Crushed upon the sea

Escape From Noise

Guys! I think I found a book that could really help us out with this little pickle we've gotten ourselves into!

Wikipedia posted:

The Plague (French: La Peste) is a novel by Albert Camus, published in 1947, that tells the story of a plague sweeping the French Algerian city of Oran. It asks a number of questions relating to the nature of destiny and the human condition. The characters in the book, ranging from doctors to vacationers to fugitives, all help to show the effects the plague has on a populace.

The novel is believed to be based on the cholera epidemic that killed a large percentage of Oran's population in 1849 following French colonization, but the novel is placed in the 1940s.[1] Oran and its environs were struck by disease multiple times before Camus published this novel. According to a research report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Oran was decimated by the plague in 1556 and 1678, but all later outbreaks, in 1921 (185 cases), 1931 (76 cases), and 1944 (95 cases), were very far from the scale of the epidemic described in the novel.

The Plague is considered an existentialist classic despite Camus' objection to the label.[2][3] The narrative tone is similar to Kafka's, especially in The Trial whose individual sentences potentially have multiple meanings, the material often pointedly resonating as stark allegory of phenomenal consciousness and the human condition.

Camus included a dim-witted character misreading The Trial as a mystery novel as an oblique homage. The novel has been read as a allegorical treatment of the French resistance to Nazi occupation during World War II.[4] Additionally, he further illustrates the human reaction towards the "absurd".[5] The Plague represents how the world deals with the philosophical notion of the Absurd, a theory that Camus himself helped to define.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i;'ve been re reading the red masque of death to try and find solutions

death sext

where is the plague getting all these words anyway? If it's got a dictionary book it should be pretty easy to take that away. It sounds like a real nerd plague so we could knock the dictionary out of its hands (and give it a swirly too as revenge for our fallen friends). If it's got an online dictionary then I think we're hosed. Once a disease gets online it becomes a cyber-disease and everyone knows only Neo Matrix can bust those bad boys.

Manifisto

the main difference between a dildo and a race horse is that the second is about riding a horse and the third is about competing," he says. "If you come up with a dildo and you are riding a horse, you might just have to get rid of it. There are a lot of laws out there."

Still, it seems that many people have ideas of what's legal and what isn't. "People are always like, 'This is all legal!,'" he says. "It's funny, because every time you say, 'This is not legal,' you've already put that condom in the wrong pile."

I want to do a survey about this. What do you think of the law at this point?

ty nesamdoom!

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
*A real doctor shakes fist at Doctor gag*

That's my stethoscope

Give it back

You are a dog

It doesn't even fit

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

ChubbyChecker

But Doctor IK... I'm Goonliacci!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

the parable of the pencil and the capybara

Clyde: The capybara is not a fruit but an invertebrate, which is to say that it cannot be seen in its natural habitat. It requires sunlight.

Roxanne: We like children.

Clyde: Of course.

Roxanne: No, the capybara can't see light. It can but it has no sense of taste!

Clyde: Well, it can't.

Roxanne: It would have a very strange sense of taste, because the only way the capybara could see light is by being underwater. So, you see, it is very good at swimming, but it cannot see light in the water.

Clyde: I believe that you don't understand capybara.

Roxanne: No.

Clyde: I would like you to go ashore, and explain.

Roxanne: Yes of course—if you can see it.

Clyde: It has no sense the

ty nesamdoom!