Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Release Date:
September 23 - PC (Steam), PlayStation 4, Xbox One

Trailer Playlist
This link is all official marketing material. Careful when looking up gameplay on Youtube because a lot of people got the game early from the publisher, and have already finished the game in its entirety and are uploading complete playthroughs. I saw one video link yesterday with all Surge 2 bosses shown off and beaten. Not clicking that at all, I don't want the game spoiled.

Our own CJacobs is playing this today when the game launches
https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/1175730533139189761

I am actually going into this sequel almost completely blind. I have intentionally avoided information for the most part. I loved the Surge 1 though, and this is looks to be the same, and from everything CJacobs has said, makes a ton of quality of life improvements and balance changes to the combat. More weapons and armor to collect, better world design that is not as confusing. You can also design your own character this time, but I actually really liked the character you played as in the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I am also excited about this game. You don't have to feel alone, even if you should, technically.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, you have NO IDEA how much I'm looking forward to this! :hawaaaafap: Put me in as someone who is just a little down we're not playing as Warren or Elizabeth, but that's just a minor thing compared to the fact that we have more Surge.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I still haven't finished surge 1 but if this is just straight up improvements over the first it's staying on my wishlist.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

The Surge was the best game I played last year and I can't friggin' wait to get off work and start this up! I think it was the weapons that really did it for me, since most of them were just ridiculous construction tools. Re-purposing a gigantic wrench as a two handed mace was pretty cool. The buzz saw was pretty sweet too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I didn't play the first game but this looks neat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

untzthatshit posted:

The Surge was the best game I played last year and I can't friggin' wait to get off work and start this up! I think it was the weapons that really did it for me, since most of them were just ridiculous construction tools. Re-purposing a gigantic wrench as a two handed mace was pretty cool. The buzz saw was pretty sweet too.

It was the weapons for me as well, and looking at the screenshots and trailers, this takes that idea and ups it to an extreme. On top of that, you get outrageous and badass looking new armor pieces that scream cyberpunk. It just all looks amazing and is completely my jam for science fiction.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I am no where near finishing the first one as I am a giant babby but I'll buy this to support the devs and hopefully find some to play eventually. I really liked what I saw of the first games story and characters/enemies.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

I said come in! posted:

It was the weapons for me as well, and looking at the screenshots and trailers, this takes that idea and ups it to an extreme. On top of that, you get outrageous and badass looking new armor pieces that scream cyberpunk. It just all looks amazing and is completely my jam for science fiction.

Fer sure, I hope there's more viable options for armor too. That was the one thing that bugged me in the first game, the Lynx set was basically the best and you got it right at the start of the game. I'd switch out to the Liquidator gear for that one section that had all the enemies that launch biohazard grenades at you but it was pretty much Lynx from start to finish. I think by the end I was mixing in some Chrysalis armor with the lynx gear but that was probably sub-optimal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Should we expect reviews to be going live in about five hours from now as well?

Reprogram Plus
Sep 24, 2007

The amount of improvement they made from Lords of the Fallen to Surge 1 was crazy. Hopefully this one has that same kind of jump in quality too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

zitlover8183 posted:

The amount of improvement they made from Lords of the Fallen to Surge 1 was crazy. Hopefully this one has that same kind of jump in quality too.

Yeah like I wasn't BLOWN AWAY by The Surge but it was still good and I dug it and it sure as hell blew away Lords of the Fallen, I still have to finish it though. I'm really excited for this now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CJacobs is streaming Surge 2 now https://www.twitch.tv/cjacobssa

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cautiously optimistic about this. The first one was pretty neat, with its limb targeting mechanics and not-high-fantasy setting.

I wish there was a way to play the entire first game in the wheelchair, with spiked rims and gatling guns. :allears:

itry fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 23, 2019

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do we know what the "asychronous online" stuff is, yet?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Shiiiiiiiit I forgot this was today. Can't really afford to get it in the immediate future but I'm excited to pick it up when I can!

fake edit:

Can't wait to be a scifi dragoon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fadam posted:

Do we know what the "asychronous online" stuff is, yet?

When a player is killed, they will show up in other players games as enemies. The important part about this is that they will show up in the general area of where they were killed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

I said come in! posted:

When a player is killed, they will show up in other players games as enemies. The important part about this is that they will show up in the general area of where they were killed.

Oh, that's neat. But kinda sounds like you're gonna see extra enemies in areas that were already difficult enough to kill players.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gort posted:

Oh, that's neat. But kinda sounds like you're gonna see extra enemies in areas that were already difficult enough to kill players.

Very fair concern! To prevent this, the regular enemy just disappears.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
You can tag places, if people find it they get a bonus, if nobody finds it, you get it (or something like it)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I only played a bit of the Surge demo, and I liked it well enough but not so much to stick with it. That said. this looks real good from what I am seeing and I am looking forward to cyborg hobo fights.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-surge-2-pc/ $42 right now :v:

[edit]
Wrong surge!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I saw a Let's Play for a while and the first boss wasn't a goddamn puzzle boss, so I'm really excited by this - all the updates look cool as hell. I loved playing the first Surge right up until that first boss, who was anti-fun.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The only thing I disliked about the surge was the attack animations they could be super long winded, wushu dance fighting or suddenly have you leap and lunge inappropriately and could get you unnecessarily hosed up.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Surge #1 was my favorite knock-off soulsborne so far. The bosses we mostly not great, but the fast dashing and weighty strikes made the combat feel more like bloodborne than souls (a plus in my book)!

Argh, 2.5 hours...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 23, 2019

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Thanks for making the thread, I was going to last week but I got distracted after being bitten by a wild animal. I'm excited as hell for this, TS was and is excellent. It ranks really favorably among Dark Souls clones

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Surge is a very good game and really expanded what being a dark Souls clone could mean. Im very excited about this.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I rarely preorder but the first game was really good and this one looks to be just as good.

Here's some music to hold you over while you wait for it to unlock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nBvddxrltk

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Do they drop better stuff?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If it's more of the same as the surge then I'm in. The bosses in 1 sucked, but I really enjoyed the combat.

Hopefully switching weapons is easier this time around, as you were kind of locked into 1 weapon type after a few levels in it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game is out now, restart Steam. :v:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Reviews are going up and hovering between 75 and 90%

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've been stuck on "Installing: (Step 1 of 1)" for like ten minutes. Epic Games Store please save us!!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Its late (bloody american release schedule) but thoughts after the first half hour:

Holy poo poo you can pre-charge healing modules now (kinda like the drone in Surge 1), which feels so much better, and means i'm no staring at my energy bar all fight.

The jump animation is goofy as gently caress, which kinda makes sense for someone who just bolts robot legs onto themself.

I suck at directional parrying, that's gonna be a fun feature.

Canonically, the player character is an absolute maniac, wakes up in a strange location and immediately starts dual wielding defibrillators.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Character Creator: Baller

Apparently you at least get your start in a prison? Reborn, if you will.

E: Dualshock 4 prompts!

E2: Your drone is has loot radar and Darksign/Hunter's Mark modes. And lifts are automatic, so you can't fall down them anymore (at least not that I've seen).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 24, 2019

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Got like 9k scraps for a banner I hid :stare:

Still don't know what the search and rescue drone does

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 24, 2019

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's this game's Darksign.

I'm an hour and a half in and I'm enjoying the game. I'm still a little confused what the purple bar underneath the enemy's health actually does (drain it to get a small stagger?).

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

How is the performance ? Lots of unhappiness on steam.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

ZZZorcerer posted:

Got like 9k scraps for a banner I hid :stare:

Still don't know what the search and rescue drone does

It'll cost all your tech scrap but warp you back to the nearest medbay. The I'm lost and I'll never get back here alive button.

Some thoughts from about an hour in: These guys fantastic at making a modern environment feel like a Soulsy 1-1 castle. My 70 year old middle management lady has a mean right hook and no qualms about stomping limbs all the way off. Love the estus being tied to energy and bankable, it's the perfect compromise between the first games two health injectors.

Very impressed so far at the improvements, level design, and combat flow.

Qmass posted:

I have a 1060 and an i5-4570 and shadows and volumetric lighting are a problem on very high, but on low it's smooth at 1080/60 and I can't really tell the difference in visual quality.

Psychepath fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Something is bugging me, I thought I levelled up but didn't see the points to distribute so I respected and...

Shouldn't I have something like 48 points at power lvl 24 ?

Qmass posted:

Game running smooth here with a 2070S+3900x all max settings