Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
That part of the cathedral sucks and I completely missed it on my first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Beat it. Meh. The Story was extremely disappointing in my opinion. I want more of the tone and feel from the first.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm really liking the whole partial armour set bonus thing in this game because packing a hybrid set is really useful. I've got legs and torso set as scavenger armour and everything else rhino, and the big mace-like Warhammer thing from the cult leader dude, and I can duck and dive for days while constantly stunlocking pretty much anything apart from those rad statues that have just shown up.

Those statues really teach the importance of directional parry. I went through surge 1 several times without ever touching the block button, but I'm gonna have to reevaluate my strategy, I can tell.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Finally getting into this game after having grabbed it and the season pass, and Little Johnny lived up to my expectations in a good/bad way.

"Because he's probably a pain rear end that keeps moving his weak points or something" turned out to be spot on rather than the brick wall his hype train claims. And an awkward five minute stalemate trying to finish him off came to a close once I said gently caress it and switched to a staff to essentially guarantee hits compared to my single rig last instant wiffs :downs: Got his 2.0 weapon so maybe I'll try that out later when I'm feeling in the mood for twin rigs.

Chopping off Eli's arm on the first try afterwards was pretty cathartic (thanks, new drone) though I do wish his cool looking lightning hammer had actual lightning damage.

Still, overall this game feels more smooth than the first one. All of the "improvement over the first game" hype seems to be living up to what I've heard :buddy:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The bosses are overall better. The enviorments are sadly still too similar to each other.
The energy/battery system is great. Arguably better than the estus system.

Section Z posted:

Finally getting into this game after having grabbed it and the season pass, and Little Johnny lived up to my expectations in a good/bad way.

"Because he's probably a pain rear end that keeps moving his weak points or something" turned out to be spot on rather than the brick wall his hype train claims. And an awkward five minute stalemate trying to finish him off came to a close once I said gently caress it and switched to a staff to essentially guarantee hits compared to my single rig last instant wiffs :downs: Got his 2.0 weapon so maybe I'll try that out later when I'm feeling in the mood for twin rigs.

Chopping off Eli's arm on the first try afterwards was pretty cathartic (thanks, new drone) though I do wish his cool looking lightning hammer had actual lightning damage.

Still, overall this game feels more smooth than the first one. All of the "improvement over the first game" hype seems to be living up to what I've heard :buddy:

The real brick wall is later. Also Johnny's weapon is a gloves type, and afaik the only poison weapon in the game.

I was kinda disappointed that after hearing Eli's request I couldn't go back to the guy outside the prison and tell him "this is pretty hosed up".
Although if you kill him he drops an audio log that sheds some light on his involvement.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

itry posted:

The bosses are overall better. The enviorments are sadly still too similar to each other.
The energy/battery system is great. Arguably better than the estus system.

The real brick wall is later. Also Johnny's weapon is a gloves type, and afaik the only poison weapon in the game.

I was kinda disappointed that after hearing Eli's request I couldn't go back to the guy outside the prison and tell him "this is pretty hosed up".
Although if you kill him he drops an audio log that sheds some light on his involvement.
I could have sworn I found a radioactive dual duty weapon, but then I wouldn't be surprised if it's stats didn't match the flavor text much like "Leader of the shock cult's lightning hammer. Shock damage not included."

While not directly related to heals and finishers, I'm real fond of the "Last battery bar can't decay" implant so far. I'll be sad when my casual rear end needs higher defense more than I enjoy the cheap power cost and built in "Health on finisher/Finishers are free" full time.

Finishers just feel like an obligation by default even if they are still killing things early. And being able to bank a battery bar went a long way towards managing to cut off Johnny's arms when I put on the fatty AID armor.

Shame the game wouldn't let me make a cheap mk1 AID set while already owning a mix of mk2 and mk3 :shepface: Dick move, fetch quest, even if I was able to replace it immediately.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 26, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

My bad, it is a double duty weapon.

If you put enough points into energy you can have a "free" non-decaying battery. I don't know what the breakdown points are, though.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

itry posted:

My bad, it is a double duty weapon.

If you put enough points into energy you can have a "free" non-decaying battery. I don't know what the breakdown points are, though.

25 gets you a fourth charge, 50 gets you the non decaying battery, 75 gets you a fifth.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Just picked this up. One of the best souls combat systems I've ever played with. Extremely scrappy and messy in a good way, at least in the first few areas; feels like you can make a lot of mistakes and bite off a lot more than most soulslike games let you live through. I poked around on the wiki and the numbers also get appealingly stupid high so that looks fun.

Is the ending satisfying?

E: I never played the first one if that matters

Somfin fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 11, 2020

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Somfin posted:

no, it isn't. if the gameplay loop wasn't this good, the game would've been panned based on the insufferable story alone.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The story is so awful in this game it actually makes me mad to associate it with the first one. It's probably better to have never played it so you don't have to compare the two.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Somfin posted:

Just picked this up. One of the best souls combat systems I've ever played with. Extremely scrappy and messy in a good way, at least in the first few areas; feels like you can make a lot of mistakes and bite off a lot more than most soulslike games let you live through. I poked around on the wiki and the numbers also get appealingly stupid high so that looks fun.

E: I never played the first one if that matters

The combat is good, although parrying is pretty much required for a lot of the enemies and some of the bosses.

The story is pretty bad and hamfisted. The ending is just nonsense.

"Everybody deserves a second chance!" - :v:
"Maybe I was wrong about humanity" - :byodood:
...continues to walk off screen :psyduck:

It annoyed me so much on a replay that I couldn't sequence break into the harbor to talk to the fat brother before meeting the (obvious) backstabber one, even though the zipline is right there.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 11, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Story bad, combat fun, weapons fun/unbalanced.

I really enjoyed the area layouts. If you know your way around the second half of the game you can hardcore skip things. When I was running through ng+ modes I could do the final half of the game so fast.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

spaceships posted:

no, it isn't. if the gameplay loop wasn't this good, the game would've been panned based on the insufferable story alone.

Yeah it’s actually kind of impressive how poor the story is in 2 given how generally pretty decent it was in 1. I think I said this when 2 came out but 1 feels like a good idea without the time or money to fully realize that idea, while 2 feels like some kind of problems in development or rush hurt the writing process really badly.

The game is super good so I’m not too sad but it’s a bummer. I need to buy and play the DLC but new PoE league :negative:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

Definitely not as tight as Sekiro

Personally I find the messier combat with more mistakes and more noise to be a welcome relief from Sekiro's lightning-fast, hope-you-read-this-boss's-tell-right thing

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
It'd be nice if instead of just adjusting enemy health and damage, changing difficulty in games like these would be adjust the window length for timing perfect blocks or added bigger telegraph's to boss attacks. Maybe even adding a visual marker to let you know when you're in an enemies attack range.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I started a new run yesterday and some of the DLC weapon placements are pure comedy. I’m working on a weapon/armor guide and hopefully I’ll get it posted by Sunday.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How are the DLC weapons? They didn't make a weapon more OP than the V2 final boss weapon did they?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tenzarin posted:

How are the DLC weapons? They didn't make a weapon more OP than the V2 final boss weapon did they?

A lot of them are returning weapons from the first game, they’re mostly average to good but I haven’t yet found one that does anything specific or unique. In my first session I breezed through to just after the first fight against Eli so I’m not that far yet, I basically just completed the first quarter.

I have heard that there’s some disgustingly good new weapon in the Kraken content but I can’t go there yet because you need the hook thing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The main OP thing I noticed is that URBN gear is nearly as good as Cerberus but available very early.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The set bonuses on URBN are pretty great, but if you want to go all out get a pair of rhino arms and start stunlocking bosses with a heavy duty weapon.

Edit: Seriously the delver spent half the fight eating dirt on that playthrough and it was greatest powertrip I've ever had in a videogame

timn fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 13, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wore a mixture of Scarab and URBN in order to just not take damage.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Partial set bonuses were the best addition to two.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

itry posted:

The combat is good, although parrying is pretty much required for a lot of the enemies and some of the bosses.

If you build yourself for energy gain you can literally facetank anything in the game while spamming attacks and healing stims

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mysterious frankie posted:

Partial set bonuses were the best addition to two.

They are a good idea implemented poorly imo. The set bonuses for fewer pieces need to be better, right now all the best bonuses are for full sets instead of partial so you end up being moved towards full sets anyway.

I also think they should be 2/4/6 piece sets instead of 3/6.

Trip report: my last play session wasn’t as productive, I’m about to go into Gideon Rock. I’ve been going slow to try and grab all the new weapons. A lot of them are returning from The Surge 1.

So far, my impression is that they could delete 85% of the weapons in the game and the game would lose nothing for it. It truly suffers from a disgusting amount of weapon bloat.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you build yourself for energy gain you can literally facetank anything in the game while spamming attacks and healing stims

Yeah, I used the MG Cerberus for half of my playthrough. Very good for tanking. But parrying still takes care of certain bosses very quickly.
It also looks pretty cool.

Lightning Knight posted:

So far, my impression is that they could delete 85% of the weapons in the game and the game would lose nothing for it. It truly suffers from a disgusting amount of weapon bloat.

Probably accurate.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

timn posted:

The set bonuses on URBN are pretty great, but if you want to go all out get a pair of rhino arms and start stunlocking bosses with a heavy duty weapon.

Edit: Seriously the delver spent half the fight eating dirt on that playthrough and it was greatest powertrip I've ever had in a videogame

Where are the URBN and Rhino guys? I've been stuck on the Delver for an embarrassingly long time. I've been using a mix of the AID Nightfall and Spark Defendant sets since they're the highest defense I have right now. But I can't get past the 2nd phase, I'll inevitably miss a couple blocks in a row or the nanite damage builds up so quickly I don't even notice before I"m dead.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
From memory, there's a Rhino dude along the street approach to the cloud nine bar, and the URBN guys are in the back alley which connects the starting area where you first meet the stranger to the same street but on the opposite end from the cloud nine bar. However don't forget that the URBN guys are part of a day 1 DLC pack/preorder bonus.

If you're going for this strat on the delver, remember to use your charged attacks (hold down the attack button) to repeatedly knock out the armored portions on the legs, etc. That's how you repeatedly knock him on his rear end and generate enough energy to keep spamming healing injections.

And as for a weapon, I recommend the Titan because it's loving huge and orange and has the version of the heavy duty moveset where the horizontal combo is non-stop spin-2-win.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

untzthatshit posted:

Where are the URBN and Rhino guys? I've been stuck on the Delver for an embarrassingly long time. I've been using a mix of the AID Nightfall and Spark Defendant sets since they're the highest defense I have right now. But I can't get past the 2nd phase, I'll inevitably miss a couple blocks in a row or the nanite damage builds up so quickly I don't even notice before I"m dead.

URBN is DLC so if they don't show up it means you don't have it, but when you're heading to the Cloud 9 bar, there is a path off to the far left near where the cowboy store is. If you continue you'll come to an alley with a gun dude and you'll see a very colorful enemy standing still at the end of the alley. That's the URBN guy. There's a second URBN guy hiding in the room above and to the left in the alley, their aggro is leashed to each other and you generally have to fight them together. Hope you like fighting two Black Cerberus at once!

The Rhino guy is in the courtyard in front of the Cloud 9 bar, among the other SCARAB and Liquidator enemies. He is a Double Duty enemy using Bootleg Cleavers.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

There's a second URBN guy hiding in the room above and to the left in the alley, their aggro is leashed to each other and you generally have to fight them together. Hope you like fighting two Black Cerberus at once!

They also might be the most aggressive enemies in the game and will authoritatively push your poo poo in until you figure out a good strategy. You really feel like you earned it when you finally get your hands on their stuff.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Thanks guys, I'm now running with the Rhino head and arms and URBN body and legs. I took a couple attempts at the Delver using the Titan until I realized the Codename: Moonlight has the same moveset but does more damage, takes less stamina and is slightly faster. I am still getting stomped but I'm at least making it to the third stage reliably which was not the case before. I really feel like this boss is a ridiculous spike in difficulty but whatever, I'll get him eventually.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

untzthatshit posted:

Thanks guys, I'm now running with the Rhino head and arms and URBN body and legs. I took a couple attempts at the Delver using the Titan until I realized the Codename: Moonlight has the same moveset but does more damage, takes less stamina and is slightly faster. I am still getting stomped but I'm at least making it to the third stage reliably which was not the case before. I really feel like this boss is a ridiculous spike in difficulty but whatever, I'll get him eventually.

Personally, I think you are almost always making a bad decision if you aren’t wearing a full gear set. However, besides that, I’m of the opinion that heavy duty weapons in general perform much more poorly in NG in The Surge 2 than in the original game, and they were never very ideal boss weapons. Their stamina usage and slow speed are just too punishing against most bosses.

The same to a lesser extent is also true of hammers.

The Delver and Little Johnny are both skill check bosses for directional blocking. You could probably beat Little Johnny without directional blocking, if you were very determined, but not the Delver. The Delver is “you will learn this core mechanic and be good at it or your game ends here.”

The implant that increases damage after a directional block is very useful.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I beat the Delver without learning to parry by upgrading my gear (via killing cops) and setting up my build to just outheal whatever he threw at me.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I had to parry it while using the Liquidator rig and a spear (because it's quick and has good range). And probably all the 'on parry' implants.
Up until then I enjoyed using claw weapons, but they just don't have the range for that fight.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Has anyone worked out any finer details about how any of the gear stat numbers work?

I try to keep my active gear about the same tier as the stuff enemies are using and it seems it works out pretty decently with Goliath-class armor and a even health/stamina/energy level split; I'm curious what the differences in impact ratings and damage values are actually worth, since elemental damage seems to stay constant during Tier up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm getting pretty thoroughly owned on little johnny since i'm poo poo at parry timing and as far as i can tell unless i want to spend hours dashing in to hit a let then out there isn't much other choice. glad i got it thorugh the xbox pass thing on pc since it seems like i might be stopping here

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jose posted:

i'm getting pretty thoroughly owned on little johnny since i'm poo poo at parry timing and as far as i can tell unless i want to spend hours dashing in to hit a let then out there isn't much other choice. glad i got it thorugh the xbox pass thing on pc since it seems like i might be stopping here

Try putting a faster and/or longer weapon into your equipment. The difference for me wasn't anything to do with Getting Gud and more "Oh now I'm more easily able to hit him before he slides/lifts out of the way." Ending an awkward stalemate where neither of us could quite kill eachother.

Big damage is great! But only if you are landing all of your hits. So when I botched one too many big swings at the last second I just said gently caress it and switched to either a staff or spear or whatever it was, to get some essentially guaranteed hits.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 3, 2020

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jose posted:

Little Johnny is pretty much the boss that tells you to get good at parrying.

Also highly recommend a quick weapon for that, using single-rigged or heavy duty is pretty much “I hate myself” as an exercise.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Still waiting to hear about how good all the dlc weapons are.

Little johnny is just about dodging and ignoring everything he does and just attacking his tanks/feet lockon locations as fast as possible so the fight will end. Sprint at him, press attack button to go into slide, sliding attack hill hit, hit attack a few more times runaway, repeat over and over.

Also ignore his hp bar, he dies when you destroy all his weakspots.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

i beat little johnny without parrying (never learned how to do it). it took a long time and just involves knowing how many hits you can get in before you need to dash out of there. i used the sawblade arms weapons from the berserker guys and took my time cutting off his manipulator arms and then beat him the normal way. it can be done without parrying, its just a pain