Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JoeGlassJAw posted:

How's the difficulty level of the rest of the game as compared to the demo?

It feels like the game was balanced with the assumption that you'd be running with an AI partner 24/7. I've fought two bosses past the demo part so far, and they both had attacks that took off 9/10ths of my HP if I didn't dodge roll them perfectly. It's definitely hard solo, to the point of feeling unfair at times - there's some ridiculously fast single digit windup frames on some enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered itt but how does leveling up work? Do I get different increased values based on which code or whatever I have equipped, or is it always the same baseline? I have like 30k Haze and am still level 1 because I am paralyzed by doubt

Your level is merely a number. Your currently equipped blood code provides you with all of your stats, each of which have an individual scaling factor that's multiplied by your level to get the final stat.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I don't suppose NG+ gives you the option of dyeing blood veils, does it? I'm legitimately going insane over the game having a vast and open-ended character creation process that's then immediately hamstrung by blood veils coming in maybe four colors total across every type.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

I don't usually play casters, but there is something satisfying about farming up a ton of ichor, equipping what I call '8 different versions of fireball', and then immediately sending a boss to the shadow realm.

RIP Dark Knight guy, maybe in NG+ I'll see what your attacks are.

Magic is stupidly powerful in this game if you invest into it. I've been running a Light-focused build with Eos, and the conal ice attack you get from Fionne makes larger enemies just straight up explode.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'd say that my only real complaints with the weapon types are a lack of weapon transformations that give specific stat scalings (e.g. Lightning gives you Mind scaling on a weapon or whatever), and how blocking feels strictly suboptimal if you're not packing the Zweihander due to you always taking at least some chip damage. I wish they would've made blocking differences between weapons purely based around stamina consumption, though I can understand them not wanting to mess with the formula too much.

Regy Rusty posted:

E: Like the sequel hook, I'm in if they make one.

They already have. :v:

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 3, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The big black monster you get a brief glimpse of when the Mist drops is an aragami, the main antagonists of God Eater (one of Shift's other properties). It's strongly implied by how BOR Parasites work that revenants are the original version of what would eventually become God Eaters, the elite soldiers used to fight off the aragami.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eos with either Libertador or Iceblood is probably the strongest gish in the game. Eos' self-buff - Bridge to Glory - is (I think?) one of the only attack power buffs in the game that actually scales based off your Light gift stat, so you can start getting into comical weapon damage numbers if you stack MND passives. Magic-wise, Ice Barrage from Fionn will absolutely melt anything large enough to get hit by all of its projectiles at melee range.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A lot of bosses feel incredibly unfair if you're not either running with Zweihander Fortification or have Quick mobility. I got caught on Despot for a comically long time because his phase 2 whirl required both a precise location to stand and a precise timing with Medium dodges, and his double frontal swipe has, like, a loving 8 frame startup or some poo poo and did most of my health bar.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

It affects your movement speed as well as rolls and iframes. The mobility breakpoints are 100%/50%/20%, if you don't think you can make one of those (and god knows I've never even gotten close to making 50%) then it isn't worth worrying about.

Perhaps more importantly, it also affects Swift Destruction from the Hephaestus blood code, which grants +10/15/20% damage for slow/medium/quick to everything. There's a strong incentive for casters to always stay at quick (although you're likely to be using light armor and a bayonet, anyways).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You know these post Successor fight cutscenes Lose a bit of impact when I revive them 5 seconds after their tearful goodbye. I understand it's an optional route thing but it's still funny to me.

I thought the same thing. I guess there's no proper way to really get around it, but it's a really loving weird mood swing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

my halberd is hitting for 1k while the similarly upgraded and equip for hammer is doing 700 and what is even going on halberds

Weapon balance is, in the fine tradition of the Souls series, hosed up. The Black Saber, for example, is simply a straight up worse version of the Machete in every respect, even if you go all in on STR with the Saber, and the Argent Wolf Blade is the hands down best sword out of all of them (unless you're MND stacking with Iceblood).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

whoever designed the code vein zweihander loves the DaS1 zwei as much as I do

maybe it's not actually busted but it sure feels real good

It's the only weapon in the game that I know of that hits 100 block against every physical type if you use Fortification on it. It's probably the godliest STR two-hander for that reason alone.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Beat it just now and got the Good ending.
So with that little teaser monster you see in one of the cutscenes near the end...
The B.O.R. is just a form of Aragami right?

Yes. Their functionality (organism that takes over every individual cell of its host's body that's held at a level of invasion that still ensures free will to the host) is almost the same as what God Eaters get, and the "living" character of the blood veil drain attacks brings to mind the eater ability of God Arcs. The implication is that either the original idea for God Eaters came from revenants, or that two geographically separate regions managed to figure out a way to fight the aragami that differed mostly in the details.

Rascyc posted:

You can only stack the same element I think, although I'm not sure what happens with a weapon that has an innate elemental, I think it'll just overwrite and you'll lose whatever innate elemental bonuses you could have leveraged when stacking.

The stat screen for your weapon will still show the weapon's innate element if you stack a different elemental buff, so I believe they both continue to count.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Having a completely hosed up elemental resist system with fully made up display numbers that makes no coherent sense is perfectly on-brand for a Souls-esque game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The main trick with Cannoneer/Blade Dancer sans companion is that you have to try and bait out Cannoneer's flamethrower in a position where you can hide behind a pillar and clobber Blade Dancer while he uselessly fires into it. It's still an awkward fight that can be awfully frustrating if you're running with only light defenses, and is further proof that developers still only have a vague grasp on what made O&S a good encounter.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a few other key differences. One of the really important things to do in O&S is make sure that both of them are always in camera view at all times. But Blade Dancer or whatever her name is moves way less predictably than Ornstein. Ornstein can be manipulated pretty easily to always be in between you and Smough so you can see them both at the same time

O&S has three critical factors that make it work as a fight:
  • O&S are diametric opposites in terms of speed and maneuverability.
  • O&S have the roughly the same general AI-driven goal (get into melee range to attack you).
  • The arena has intervening terrain (the pillars).
Since O&S have the same general goal, you're only rarely ever going to be a situation where they're not both within view of the camera, since they're both going to attempt to charge at you in their own way. Ornstein's speed means that he will always be ahead of the curve compared to Smough, who lacks the necessary speed and maneuverability to make it around the pillars easily. What everyone who does O&S eventually realizes is that they can therefore use the pillars to separate Smough away from Ornstein so that they don't have to worry about desynchronized attacks constantly preventing them from attacking either one of them.

Blade Bearer/Cannoneer, comparatively, misses the mark. This is partly because Cannoneer and Blade Bearer have two different general goals (Blade Bearer wants to run into melee 24/7, Cannoneer wants to hover at medium range and pepper you with shots), and partly because of Cannoneer's fire conjure move. You often have trouble keeping both of them within view, and the fire conjure makes it so that you're never entirely able to simply watch Blade Bearer's moveset if you manage to separate the two. It's not unbearably bad, but it's aggravating to try and deal with on your own, and it reinforces my belief that most of the balancing was done with a partner in mind.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Nothing you say in the first half of this post is wrong, but I think it's wrong to conclude that the fight is bad because it's not an O&S clone.

My conclusion wasn't that it's bad because it's not an O&S clone, but that it's a fight that I often found more frustrating than fun because of desynchronized attacks and the difficulty of keeping the camera on them. I brought up O&S as a point of comparison because their design prevented most of the aforementioned problems. You don't need to copy them wholesale, but I think it would've behooved them to consider the design of the fight more carefully.

As another point of comparison, DS3 has a dual boss, the Twin Demons, who do something similar to Cannoneer/Blade Bearer: one of them sits at range and shoots poison and fire at you, and the other attempts to get into melee with claw attacks. Because the ranged demon remains in roughly the same spot, and because the arena is circular, it's possible to constantly keep him in your vision and watch for openings, especially since his attacks are pretty ponderous and have a travel time. You could've done something similar with Cannoneer and changed the design of the arena so that it'd be easier to keep him in your line of sight, and possibly change his fire conjure attack so that it has a longer cast time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm experimenting with variations of "future cop", this is my favorite one so far.

The Gritty Patrol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Finally finished up the game. Skull King was like budget Gael, but was otherwise fairly enjoyable. Virgin Born was the anathema of every Souls-esque game - a giant dragon with a big ol' tummy for you to hide underneath and slash at its ankles - and felt like a placeholder. It took me a grand total of two attempts to beat it. Pretty disappointing for a final boss.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. It has much tighter controls and more interesting powers than most Souls-esque games, and the mix-and-match nature of customization was fun to mess around with. The somewhat bland level design was largely counterbalanced by combat feeling satisfying and there being enough enemy and encounter variety to keep you from getting bored. Enjoyed most of the boss fights, although a couple of them were frustrating for reasons unrelated to difficulty (mostly camera framing issues or particle effects making it hard to read movesets). I think the addition of party members ala an RPG is an excellent idea for helping players to avoid frustration with parts they find too challenging, and the ichor system helps to mitigate some of the core issues the Souls games have historically had with magic. I'd put it as a solid recommend if you've enjoyed the Souls series, if you like action RPGs, or if you enjoy making and piloting around your very own anime.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Does the combat lean more towards Dark Souls or Bloodborne?

Code Vein is Dark Souls 3 with more responsive controls and more interesting character advancement. The blood code/gifts system means that you've got a fairly broad palette to paint your anime with. If you want to play it like Bloodborne, there's several options to let you play a quick dodging glass cannon character with a gigantic sword who will get absolutely pummeled if they're ever hit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

I do however like the weapon and armor brands/enchants/whatever this game calls them again. They usually involve some degree of specialization or trade-off which gives you a reason to actually think about it, instead of just indiscriminately slapping it on everything because it's just a straight upgrade every time anyway.

Unfortunately, upgrading still feels flat due to the elemental system being nonsense, status effects not mattering a great deal, and Intensification/Gifts being flat out worse than the base option in nearly every case. Alleviation, Fortification, and Devour (for weapons) are the only enchants that I've personally found to be worth a drat.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rascyc posted:

It's hard to take stat scaling in the game seriously though, they don't seem to make much of a difference. I've heard of MND stacking the frost sword and I didn't see much of a difference myself but that was before I realized how bad elemental stuff gets punished.

Stat scaling on weapons is bizarre and wildly inconsistent. The Machete - a weapon with B STR and C DEX - comically outclasses the Black Saber - a weapon with an identical moveset, A STR, and D+ DEX - on every blood code I tried it with. I'm guessing it's some stupid poo poo like the letter rankings only referring to a vague range of percentages, so an A on one weapon could mean 60% scaling and an A on another weapon could mean 75% scaling. Dark Souls 2 had this identical problem.

Admittedly, all of this is peanuts compared to the larger issue of Bridge to Glory being so unbelievably strong that it feels like they had to have hosed up its implementation somehow. It takes 50% of your Light stat and converts it into flat AP for the duration, which is going to hand someone focusing on Light gifts an extra 500-600 AP. Even the absolute strongest Dark magic in the game can be beaten out by someone with Bridge to Glory + Adrenaline swinging a Sunset Sword three times.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

This is absolutely on me, but I can't seem to judge the range of any of the bosses attacks. They all feel like their hotboxes extend out past where their weapons actually swing.

My personal experience is that a lot of the hitboxes seem to activate at bizarre times (e.g. the very first frame of a swing animation so that you get clipped by the handle when you're standing next to them) or linger way longer than you'd expect. I personally think it's best to either go all-in on blocking, get Quick mobility, or get comfortable using Shifting Hollow (one of the initial Ranger gifts) to dodge.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Jeez, builds that hit Mind B+ and therefore can do Final Journey + Bridge to Glory + Whatever may as well be in a different game from builds that do not.

Bridge to Glory is insanely broken, but nerfing it would put Light gifts in an awkward spot: nothing really scales off of Light except that and a handful of offensive gifts, none of which are substantially better than similar Dark gifts, so you'd end up with Light gifts being a huge trap option.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

light builds are broken as hell if you get three barrage spells, and spells aren't affected by bridge to glory

Sure, but you can also just go Dark, get three blade spells, have similar efficacy with arguably less hassle, and have access to stronger Dark gifts like Purging Thorn or Twilight. The hook for Light gifts is supposed to be support magic, but when only one support spell actually seems to gain any benefit from you maxing the stat, then there ain't much use for it if that one support spell isn't bonkers.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Triarii posted:

I guess I could assume that your character was only mostly dead when they did the thing to split up the queen's body and turn the pieces into relics, and the effect carried over to the queen's blood in you and made it into the Relic of the Blood which brought you back to life because why not.

That's exactly what happens. When you killed Queen, you also inhaled her blood due to your mask getting knocked off, thus becoming the Successor of the Blood, which allowed you to regenerate after a heart shot and awoke Io to track you down. It's the reason why you can revive blood springs and interact with vestiges without going insane.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

As it turns out, the advice of 'use multiplayer' was in fact the secret to clearing the boss.

Thank you, Saruman.

In the meantime, the area I go to after grabbing that vestige, is that a place I can return to? Or will it vanish forever after I clear it?

You can return to it. I know it seems like you shouldn't be able to, but the game just handwaves it for convenience.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Crystalgate posted:

Anyway, what's the difference between having a bloodcode with say medium base mobility and having one with quick base mobility, but only half as much weight? Doesn't both result in the same actual mobility once equipment is added?

The system is a bit confusing. Think of Mobility as consisting of three different "steps": Quick, Medium, and Slow (and possibly an Ultra Slow step; I've seen references to it, but never tested it). If the weight of your equipped weapon and your blood veil are >=50% but <100%, you'll have the Mobility step of what your equipped Blood Code provides. If you're at <50%, you'll move down one step from that base Mobility (from Slow -> Medium or Medium -> Quick), and if you're at <20%, you'll move down two steps instead.

For a practical example of the difference you're mentioning: suppose that I have an equipment weight of exactly 54. I can either equip a Medium Blood Code with a 100 weight limit, or a Quick Blood Code with a 55 weight limit. The latter will give me Quick mobility (because I'm still <100% of my weight limit), while the former will give me Medium (since 54 is >50% of 100).

In general, quick Blood Codes are best for light/medium armors with heavy (though not ultra heavy) weapons like slower one-handed swords or polearms.

Ulio posted:

Ok maybe I was thinking of focus mode's "roll". So when you are focused you basically dash/hop ala bloodborne? I changed to Louis's blood code and gotten more focuses.

All that Focused does baseline is increase your weapon's stagger rating and increase your own stagger resistance, as well as letting you perform a launch attack.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Oh ok I completely missed the light/dark aspect to the scaling.

Another quick question, how do you increase your base ichor?

Your blood code determines your base ichor. There's a few passives that increase it, though they usually have some kind of tradeoff like less HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The main benefit of drain attacks versus weapon drain is that drain attacks increase your maximum ichor, which is helpful if you're running a build that uses a blood code with low inherent ichor but still want to pull out a bunch of buffs simultaneously. Other than that, I never really found much of a use for them.